Marvin on NFL Network

I disagree with what seems to be the consensus of this thread. It is natural to feel good that Chad's pussy bitching won't lead to him and Rosenhaus not getting what he wanted. There's a certain satisfaction in saying, we own you for the next 4 years, deal with it. I get that. He signed the contract and should have to live up to it. However, I'd much rather get happiness from winning games and contending for a championship than in sticking it to Chad.

To me, if the Bengals take a hard line on this and refuse to trade him now, it is going to be a lose-lose for all involved. Chad is either going to holdout or be a headcase. It is going to be a black cloud hanging over the team for the entire offseason. It's just not worth it. I think Marvin and Mike need to be the bigger men here. Would it suck to give Chad what he wants when he has gone about this in such an immature bitch-like way? Sure. Will it piss me off? Yes. But, is getting rid of Chad before this gets even messier in the best interest of the Bengals franchise? My answer to that is yes.

I just hope that the Bengals make a smart football decision and don't let egos and the idea of sticking it to Chad and Rosenhaus take precedence over what is best for the team.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='645886' date='Mar 24 2008, 11:27 PM']What ever happened to Storm?[/quote]

unfortunately being given a timeout was too much for the web-ego, too bad, nice dude in person. he was obtained by the [b][color="#FF0000"]"OMG GB IS SUCH A EGOMANIAC" [/color][/b] clan ,...

[quote name='happyrid' post='645890' date='Mar 24 2008, 11:44 PM']I disagree with what seems to be the consensus of this thread. It is natural to feel good that Chad's pussy bitching won't lead to him and Rosenhaus not getting what he wanted. There's a certain satisfaction in saying, we own you for the next 4 years, deal with it. I get that. He signed the contract and should have to live up to it. However, I'd much rather get happiness from winning games and contending for a championship than in sticking it to Chad.

To me, if the Bengals take a hard line on this and refuse to trade him now, it is going to be a lose-lose for all involved. Chad is either going to holdout or be a headcase. It is going to be a black cloud hanging over the team for the entire offseason. It's just not worth it. I think Marvin and Mike need to be the bigger men here. Would it suck to give Chad what he wants when he has gone about this in such an immature bitch-like way? Sure. Will it piss me off? Yes. But, is getting rid of Chad before this gets even messier in the best interest of the Bengals franchise? My answer to that is yes.

I just hope that the Bengals make a smart football decision and don't let egos and the idea of sticking it to Chad and Rosenhaus take precedence over what is best for the team.[/quote]
If I was them, I would continue to say that he's not getting traded so that if/ when GMs come to them with "I know you're not trading him, but what if we offered..." the offer will be sufficiently valuable.

Teams will still make offers.

But, I'm ready to cut ties while his value is still high. I don't think we'll get shit for him if we start out 1-3.

[quote name='PakMan' post='645894' date='Mar 25 2008, 12:19 AM']If I was them, I would continue to say that he's not getting traded so that if/ when GMs come to them with "I know you're not trading him, but what if we offered..." the offer will be sufficiently valuable.

Teams will still make offers.

But, I'm ready to cut ties while his value is still high. I don't think we'll get shit for him if we start out 1-3.[/quote]

i disagree on the last part, his value wont go much lower than it is..

i would only let him got for a top half 1st rounder or a late first and 2nd... as even them you gotta add $8 mil to those guys pay ( hypothetically) as we would be taking a cap hit at least that high to rid ourselves of him..

i agree on the first part tho..

Comparing Chad to Kobe may not be realistic (football = team sport; basketball = not so much), but it's definitely an under (or over) the table compliment that can do nothing but help the situation. Marvin is acting like a master manipulator, and I like that tremendously.

Getting a timeout on GB.COM is no big thing. Unless you're a pussy or something. Give me 20% GO, I fucking dare you. :noninja:

[quote name='PakMan' post='645889' date='Mar 25 2008, 12:34 PM']There is no Chad talk, its Chad talking[/quote]

Every question out of a reporters mouth having to do with the Bengals goes directly to what's happening with Chad. Hopefully they'll shut the fuck up and stop fanning the flames.
MULLY

[quote name='GoBengals' post='645883' date='Mar 25 2008, 12:20 PM']kind of up to ocho sucko dont you think? if he is ont eh radio next week calling people wankers we'll know if it can fade away..[/quote]

If he's on the radio next week talking this shit then the talk between him and Marvin went nowhere. I'll agree 110% that he's handling this like a baby. But, with that said, every one of these fucking WR's in the NFL is a "ME ME ME ME" crybaby. I can ignore that. As long as he's not taking shots at the players I'm good with whatever he does. I pray to God he's ready to go to work this season. I want to see him catch the winning TD in the SuperBowl and do the Icky Shuffle.
MULLY
and then listen to all of the haters bitch because he's celebrating

[quote name='happyrid' post='645890' date='Mar 24 2008, 11:44 PM']I disagree with what seems to be the consensus of this thread. It is natural to feel good that Chad's pussy bitching won't lead to him and Rosenhaus not getting what he wanted. There's a certain satisfaction in saying, we own you for the next 4 years, deal with it. I get that. He signed the contract and should have to live up to it. However, I'd much rather get happiness from winning games and contending for a championship than in sticking it to Chad.

I just hope that the Bengals make a smart football decision and don't let egos and the idea of sticking it to Chad and Rosenhaus take precedence over what is best for the team.[/quote]

That pretty much sums up my feelings.

I'm just tired of the drama. I think the team is tired of the drama. I haven't watched the lockerroom videos yet, but I'd be surprised if everyone they interviewed wasn't asked about Chad. <_<

Looks like we've drawn a line in the sand though.

On principle, I love Marvin's answers. In terms of what's best for the team, I think we should trade him.

It's up to Chad as to how this turns out. Maybe he'll realize that he brings it on himself, and grow the fuck up. I'm not holding my breath.

Chad is all about his image. His image is the fun-loving, trash-talking, very well-liked amongst his peers, type fellow. He craves the anti-TO/anti-Moss image.

Continuing to float towards the "let me be free" line...would not be consistent to the image he wants to portray to John Q. The media will want another TO situation...but IMO I just don't see that as his style--let alone to his benefit. The detriment to his market power would be too high.

No, I see him making a smiling, graceful, backpeddle..."I am misunderstood...you don't know me.." schlock. He's already been on NFL Network..proclaiming his "love" for his teammates...blah/blah.

In ChadWorld...it's all about the image. He won't let his degenerate into a TO-style one.

[quote][size=5][b]Lewis on Johnson: 'We're not going to trade Chad'[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

CINCINNATI — Despite his pleas to be traded, Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson isn't going anywhere.

Head coach Marvin Lewis told NFL Network the Bengals won't trade Johnson, and won't listen to trade offers for the five-time Pro Bowler, who is under contract through 2011.

"We're not going to trade Chad," Lewis said on Monday. "I've made it clear and our owner (Mike Brown) has made it clear. If he's going to play professional football, he's going to do it in Cincinnati.

"Despite his feelings and whatever he says ... he doesn't have a choice in the matter. He signed a contract, which is a very long-term contract. He's been very well compensated since 2003 under two different contracts since then. So that's the case right now."

What if Johnson sits out?

"Our team will move on and be ready to go, just as we would if someone got injured," Lewis said.[/quote]

Drew and Chad in meeting...

"How can we get some more money chad?"

"YAH, I want more money. JavWALKER, Should never have more dollars than the OCHO STINKO and the Shark."

"Oh, well we can sell Ice cream!"

"Yah, thats true..."

"Oh, or...we can do action flicks..."

"Yah, thats true...too."

"I'm lost..."

"OH I KNOW!!!"

"OMG WHAT?"

"Not that I've done this before, but I've heard, I mean it seems plausible..."

:lol:

want more?

Ring, RING, AS RICH EISEN LISTENS TO THE PROPER END of a high tech cell phone.

The Voice of the Gatekeeper escapes the darkness...

"Good Afternoon Bengals football."

"Hey Linda, Rich Eisen."

"How's Paul...?"

"You know I think he's gonna make it."

"Thats great Linda."

"Marv around?"

"Why?"

"weell I'd like to get him on Bengals Cam to talk entirely about chad and only chad...for five minutes."

"ON BENGALS CAM?"

"Yes, Linda on N.F.L. Network?"

BRRRRIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!

"Marvin Lewis Esquire, and No comment!"

"Hey Marv, Rich Eisen here ... Care to talk about chad for 5 minutes on the Network?"

"Will your queries cover other areas of the team?"

"Uh...

"Love too..."

I love drawing a line in the sand - not just with Chad - but with any athlete attempting to get out of a situation / contract that they've signed for... I am so tired of that shit. Be a professional, do your job, and either quietly behind the scenes work for a trade, or play out the contract and move along to another team.

Personally, I'd get past all my own feelings for whatever if I was making that many millions per year. I could put up with a whole hell of a lot of shit, and losing for that matter...

My favorite part of that whole interview is when Marvin talks about that fact that he can't be on both sides of the coin...

"Last year everyone said that I had different rules for Chad, and that I babied him... Now, he's not getting any respect, etc. I can't be on both sides of the coin so which is it?" Not exactly verbatim but pretty close.

And, I agree with him.

[quote name='happyrid' post='645890' date='Mar 24 2008, 10:44 PM']I just hope that the Bengals make a smart football decision and don't let egos and the idea of sticking it to Chad and Rosenhaus take precedence over what is best for the team.[/quote]

The best "football" decision is to keep him.

1. Under his current contract he is the best bargain price WR in the league.

2. He is a phenoninal talent that would be very very difficult to replace.

3. Since he is not trashing his teammates Chad's antics should not effect how other players on the team perform. I've played on teams with prima donnas and egomaniacs. Neither I nor my other teammates let their actions effect how we played.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='645933' date='Mar 25 2008, 08:29 AM']The best "football" decision is to keep him.

1. Under his current contract he is the best bargain price WR in the league.

2. He is a phenoninal talent that would be very very difficult to replace.

3. Since he is not trashing his teammates Chad's antics should not effect how other players on the team perform. I've played on teams with prima donnas and egomaniacs. Neither I nor my other teammates let their actions effect how we played.[/quote]

I agree with #1 and #2 and that is probably a big reason the Bengals are hesitant to do anything. He would not be easy to replace and even if we got a 1st rounder for him it would be a downgrade talent wise. However, we would be getting a 22 year old for a 31 year old.

I very strongly disagree with #3 and I think it is where your analysis falls apart. Just because he isn't trashing his teammates doesn't mean he is not hurting the team. The Bengals players admitted that having to deal with the constant questions about arrests hurt their on field performance. You really don't think that the constant questions about Chad wouldn't be a huge headache that would annoy the hell out of the players and coaches? That it wouldn't be a monster distraction? You really believe that Chad is just going to show up and that his talk of holding out is just a bluff? And that if he does eventually show up things are just going to go back to normal?

I still maintain that the Bengals will win more games next year if they take the best deal possible for Chad, adding more young talent, and can then go to training camp without a black cloud over the franchise and without the local and national media asking questions about it daily. Whatever production they get out of Chad next year (assuming he even shows up) will not be worth the headaches that they will have to endure.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='645893' date='Mar 25 2008, 01:45 AM']unfortunately being given a timeout was too much for the web-ego, too bad, nice dude in person. he was obtained by the [b][color="#FF0000"]"OMG GB IS SUCH A EGOMANIAC" [/color][/b] clan ,...[/quote]

Easy there big fella.........not all of us feel that way.

[quote][size=5][b]Marvin Lewis: Bengals won’t trade Chad[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Tuesday, March 25, 2008, 12:09 AM

Cincinnati Bengals Head Coach Marvin Lewis addressed “The Chad Johnson Situation” on NFL Total Access on Monday, March 24, with Rich Eisen and Solomon Wilcots.

And I must applaud both sides for their spirit. The questions were tough, but ol’ Marvin didn’t flinch, saying there’s no way Chad will be traded.

Wilcots, who played safety and cornerback for the Bengals from 1987-90, has been critical of the team in recent weeks, saying the Bengals haven’t done enough in free agency to put themselves in playoff contention in 2008.

Here are the Eisen-Wilcots questions and Lewis’ answers. Give it up to both sides.

[b]Q. Last week, Chad Johnson was a guest on the NFL Network program and once again making it well known that he feels unappreciated in Cincinnati and wants to go somewhere else. It appears from the outside that differences seem irreconcilable — how is it from the inside?

A.[/b] There really are no differences because if Chad wants the opportunity to play professional football, this is his opportunity right now to play here in Cincinnati. Despite his feelings and whatever he says when he comes on your show, he doesn’t have a choice in the matter. He signed a contract, which is a very long-term contract. He’s been very well compensated since 2003 under two different contracts since then. So that’s the case right now. He’s got an opportunity to play professional football here or do what he says he’s thought about doing, which is sit out and that’s fine. Our football team will move on and be ready to go, just as we would if someone got injured. You talk to your team all the time about being one play from being injured and without a certain player, and if that the case, we’ll be fine and move on.

[b]Q. We’d heard Chad linked to a number of teams, at least that he’s talked about —- from the Miami Dolphins to the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys.

A.[/b] He’s linking himself, because that would be tampering.

[b]Q. But from the Bengals’ perspective, are you willing to part (with Johnson)? Would you listen to other teams if they were interested in Chad?

A.[/b] No, we are not going to trade Chad Johnson as I’ve said. We’re not going to trade Chad. I’ve made it clear and our owner (Mike Brown) has made it clear. Like I said earlier, if he’s going to play professional football, he’s going to do it in Cincinnati.

[b]Q. He’s been dancing around the concept that he’s unappreciated there in Cincinnati and that he feels as if he’s been treated like a cancer of the team. Where would he get that idea from?

A.[/b] I don’t know. I can’t take the heat on both sides of the coin here, because at some point last year people said I don’t do a very good job and I enable Chad, so I can’t be on one side with him, then on the other side with him. I coach Chad. I love Chad as a player and as a person and want the very best things for Chad.

[b]Q. So coach, what is the issue that you’re facing right now?

A.[/b] There really is no issue, Rich. There’s two choices. I think Kobe Bryant went through a little of this in the offseason. The Lakers said you’re going to be a Laker and he said, well let’s play and let’s go to the Playoffs. Kobe has led his team to the Playoffs and I think that’s what Chad has an opportunity to do. To stay on the positive and get things right. If indeed the things that he says and tells people that I hear and read about going to the Playoffs and winning a playoff game, those are right in line with our goals. So he needs to do his part, put the team on his back and go to work.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/03/25/marvin_lewis_bengals_wont_trad.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s..._wont_trad.html[/url]

[quote name='fredtoast' post='645933' date='Mar 25 2008, 09:29 AM']3. Since he is not trashing his teammates Chad's antics should not effect how other players on the team perform. I've played on teams with prima donnas and egomaniacs. Neither I nor my other teammates let their actions effect how we played.[/quote]

His recent quotes about not getting Shaun Rogers is not direct trashing of his teammates but[b] is[/b] a disregard for their curent abilities.

Now there's two sides to the coin there as he is roundaboutly bashing teammates but we all do the same exact thing on here. We bash the D Line every time we do mock drafts or talk about our DTs. We know the current talent level can't get it done.

He has the same general gripes we all have, but voicing them publicly does not seem the best route to get things changed. I feel like the Front Office has been more active this offseason than any I can remember and I on't think his whining has changed their actions one bit. If he was really committed to winning a playoff game or going to the superbowl he should realize he can only change his own actions. He should be working his butt off at the team workouts and trying to get the team better whatever way he can.

Not everyone can get traded to NE and get a ring. An not everyone can whine their way into a huge contract. At this point, I'm not really sure which he prefers. He sways back and forth depending on who will take the interview....

Archived