50 things you might not know about Barack Obama

BlackJesus

[quote][img]http://www.vanityfair.com/images/politics/2008/03/poar01_obama0803.jpg[/img]
[size=4][u][b]Barack Obama: The 50 facts you might not know[/b]
By Jon Swaine
Nov 11 2008
The Telegraph[/u][/size]

• He collects Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comics

• He was known as "O'Bomber" at high school for his skill at basketball

• His name means "one who is blessed" in Swahili

• His favourite meal is wife Michelle's shrimp linguini

• He won a Grammy in 2006 for the audio version of his memoir, Dreams From My Father

• He is left-handed – the sixth post-war president to be left-handed

• He has read every Harry Potter book

• He owns a set of red boxing gloves autographed by Muhammad Ali

• He worked in a Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop as a teenager and now can't stand ice cream

• His favourite snacks are chocolate-peanut protein bars

• He ate dog meat, snake meat, and roasted grasshopper while living in Indonesia

• He can speak Spanish

• While on the campaign trail he refused to watch CNN and had sports channels on instead

• His favourite drink is black forest berry iced tea

• He promised Michelle he would quit smoking before running for president – he didn't

• He kept a pet ape called Tata while in Indonesia

• He can bench press an impressive 200lbs

• He was known as Barry until university when he asked to be addressed by his full name

• His favourite book is Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

• He visited Wokingham, Berks, in 1996 for the stag party of his half-sister's fiancé, but left when a stripper arrived

• His desk in his Senate office once belonged to Robert Kennedy

• He and Michelle made $4.2 million (£2.7 million) last year, with much coming from sales of his books

• His favourite films are Casablanca and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

• He carries a tiny Madonna and child statue and a bracelet belonging to a soldier in Iraq for good luck

• He applied to appear in a black pin-up calendar while at Harvard but was rejected by the all-female committee.

• His favourite music includes Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Bach and The Fugees

• He took Michelle to see the Spike Lee film Do The Right Thing on their first date

• He enjoys playing Scrabble and poker

• He doesn't drink coffee and rarely drinks alcohol

• He would have liked to have been an architect if he were not a politician

• As a teenager he took drugs including marijuana and cocaine

• His daughters' ambitions are to go to Yale before becoming an actress (Malia, 10) and to sing and dance (Sasha, 7)

• He hates the youth trend for trousers which sag beneath the backside

• He repaid his student loan only four years ago after signing his book deal

• His house in Chicago has four fire places

• Daughter Malia's godmother is Jesse Jackson's daughter Santita

• He says his worst habit is constantly checking his BlackBerry

• He uses an Apple Mac laptop

• He drives a Ford Escape Hybrid, having ditched his gas-guzzling Chrysler 300

• He wears $1,500 (£952) Hart Schaffner Marx suits

• He owns four identical pairs of black size 11 shoes

• He has his hair cut once a week by his Chicago barber, Zariff, who charges $21 (£13)

• His favourite fictional television programmes are Mash and The Wire

• He was given the code name "Renegade" by his Secret Service handlers

• He was nicknamed "Bar" by his late grandmother

• He plans to install a basketball court in the White House grounds

• His favourite artist is Pablo Picasso

• His speciality as a cook is chilli

• He has said many of his friends in Indonesia were "street urchins"

• He keeps on his desk a carving of a wooden hand holding an egg, a Kenyan symbol of the fragility of life

• His late father was a senior economist for the Kenyan government[/quote]

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/3401168/Barack-Obama-The-50-facts-you-might-not-know.html"]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...t-not-know.html[/url]

[quote name='Elflocko' post='723391' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:45 AM']Wonder if he still smokes.

If so, he'd be the first cigarette smoking prez since, who, Kennedy?[/quote]

I bet later than that. Smoking only became a reason to tax us into "good behavior" once the "definitive evidence" from the "scientific community" came to light...you know, when people were shocked that smoking wasn't a health supplement or something....and were nutritionally compared to Twinkies.......

[quote name='Elflocko' post='723391' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:45 AM']Wonder if he still smokes.

If so, he'd be the first cigarette smoking prez since, who, Kennedy?[/quote]

Saw an article about him sneaking smokes on the campaign trail. Quite frankly he has nothing to worry about with the health care he is about to recieve. Amazingly, they are good at keeping a bunch of old men alive a long time. Might have been why McCain wanted the job. :)

It's also refreshing to have a little honesty about it. Nothing like, "I didn't inhale." Just say it, I did it, it's done over with, and lets move on. Might have been why there was no real skeletons in his closet.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='723475' date='Nov 13 2008, 06:37 PM']I'm just surprised it was never exposed\became an issue, etc. during the campaign.

I could just imagine the press bleating "Won't someone [b]please[/b] think of the children"[/quote]

I'm kind of glad it didn't. This is a personal choice, that will not effect his ability to be president. Of course the Media didn't really want to cover anything that would bring Obama in a negative light through the whole process, so that could be a reason as well. But no, it shouldn't be an issue. The bigger question is will he be able to smoke in the white house. Seems like some real BS if he can as most of the country can't smoke indoors anymore.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='723579' date='Nov 14 2008, 05:11 PM']I'm kind of glad it didn't. This is a personal choice, that will not effect his ability to be president. Of course the Media didn't really want to cover anything that would bring Obama in a negative light through the whole process, so that could be a reason as well. But no, it shouldn't be an issue. The bigger question is will he be able to smoke in the white house. Seems like some real BS if he can as most of the country can't smoke indoors anymore.[/quote]

Part home, part office. Interesting question. There is a smoking ban in offices and restaurants in DC, although knowing how Home Rule works, that probably doesn't extend to the Federal City (land owned by the Feds).

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='723583' date='Nov 14 2008, 11:16 AM']Part home, part office. Interesting question. There is a smoking ban in offices and restaurants in DC, although knowing how Home Rule works, that probably doesn't extend to the Federal City (land owned by the Feds).[/quote]
More likely it simply doesn't apply to the people who made the law.

It's hilarious the amount of stans barack obama has

also rofl at "benching an impressive 200 lbs"

maybe its impressive for a 12 year old....

how much of a nutrider would you have to be to care about all this meaningless trivial information

at least he doesn't get 400 dollar haircuts like john edwards....

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='723346' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:22 AM']Renegade? What the fuck were they thinking?

Re-NEGA-de

I mean seriously?

That must be some sort of inside joke the SS use on people of color in their custody.[/quote]

I pray to God in Heaven that you meant to put a ninja on this or add a JK at the end. This is reaching. Really really reaching. If you honestly see that then you need help, real bad.
MULLY
and the Al Qaeda called him the house negro. ha!!

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='725517' date='Nov 19 2008, 10:11 PM']I pray to God in Heaven that you meant to put a ninja on this or add a JK at the end. This is reaching. Really really reaching. If you honestly see that then you need help, real bad.
MULLY
and the Al Qaeda called him the house negro. ha!![/quote]

No, I really really see that. SS are essentially Armed Forces/Police, professionals but with exception, and those types have those types of jokes.

It's a boys club with boy jokes. If it isn't to some degree intentional, then it's extremely coincidental. There is such a thing as work place humor.

You won't ever hear me make a racist joke, or act in a overtly racist way, but that's the first thing I thought when I read that...because I think the name is inappropriate. I honestly don't see how a SS supervisor didn't nix the name...unless he's a "players coach."

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='725526' date='Nov 20 2008, 11:49 AM']No, I really really see that. SS are essentially Armed Forces/Police, professionals but with exception, and those types have those types of jokes.

It's a boys club with boy jokes. If it isn't to some degree intentional, then it's extremely coincidental. There is such a thing as work place humor.

You won't ever hear me make a racist joke, or act in a overtly racist way, but that's the first thing I thought when I read that...because I think the name is inappropriate. I honestly don't see how a SS supervisor didn't nix the name...unless he's a "players coach."[/quote]

First time I heard him called the renegade I took it as him going against the grain. Smoking, admitting drug usage when he was young, basketball court at the White House etc... He's a renegade, I think the nick is appropriate.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='725540' date='Nov 20 2008, 01:26 AM']First time I heard him called the renegade I took it as him going against the grain. Smoking, admitting drug usage when he was young, basketball court at the White House etc... He's a renegade, I think the nick is appropriate.
MULLY[/quote]

Yeah, except half of the legistlature were privledged youths that excelled in sport and did coke in college. I hardly think that's going aginst the grain.

On the other hand, half of them aren't black.

Why not Rebel then? I don't see any ethnic slurs in the middle of it. Why not a lot of things except for the only one that has it right in the middle.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='724620' date='Nov 17 2008, 08:02 AM']It's hilarious the amount of stans barack obama has

also rofl at "benching an impressive 200 lbs"

maybe its impressive for a 12 year old....

[b]how much of a nutrider would you have to be to care about all this meaningless trivial information[/b]

at least he doesn't get 400 dollar haircuts like john edwards....[/quote]
says the guy quoting it. ironic? :hmm:

Archived