What Playoff Team Are you All Adopting?

I know not all the playoff teams have been decided, but is there a team already in or that may clinch that you are pulling for, now that we know the Bengals, in a stunning twist of fate, are out of it?

I am pulling for the Arizona Cardinals. They are always my second-favorite team and it's pretty cool that they get their first division title since 1975, even if it is the NFC West. I don't think they'll get too deep in the playoffs, but they should go to the second round, and once you're in anything can happen.

Anyone else?

With so much love for the Cards, does it mean we all are fans of teams who generally suck but can, now and again, pull one out and look good?

My football (soccer) team can be either the best you've ever seen, or the worst you've ever seen, with absolutely zero consistency. You never know going into the match which team they're going to be.

Which reminds me a lot of the Bengals. And the Cards.

Are we just genetically programmed to like that chaos in our teams? Just like some people are programmed to be bandwagonning motherfuckers who always pick the winner.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='731426' date='Dec 10 2008, 02:45 PM']With so much love for the Cards, does it mean we all are fans of teams who generally suck but can, now and again, pull one out and look good?

My football (soccer) team can be either the best you've ever seen, or the worst you've ever seen, with absolutely zero consistency. You never know going into the match which team they're going to be.

Are we just genetically programmed to like that chaos in our teams? Just like some people are programmed to be bandwagonning motherfuckers who always pick the winner.[/quote]

if the cardinals do well it gives me hope that a squirrel can find a nut in cinci too

[quote name='VonBlade' post='731426' date='Dec 10 2008, 02:45 PM']With so much love for the Cards, does it mean we all are fans of teams who generally suck but can, now and again, pull one out and look good?

Are we just genetically programmed to like that chaos in our teams? Just like some people are programmed to be bandwagonning motherfuckers who always pick the winner.[/quote]

I think you are on to something. I like historically bad teams, in the belief that it will get better. And that it will be so much sweeter when it does. I've always liked the Cards, but even though I liked watching their games, it hurt seeing them struggle only to lose in spectacular fashion. And now, they are winning those games in the past that they would have "Cardinaled" away. It's fun to see that happening. Like watching someone grow up before your eyes.

If the Colts had moved to Indy [b]before[/b] I moved to Cincy, I'd probably be a die-hard Colts fan.

Based upon where other family members live, we (my wife and kids) generally support (in this order):

Colts
Bucs
Eagles

...we also favor whoever is playing against the Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys, Browns, and Ravens.

[quote name='Cricket' post='731429' date='Dec 10 2008, 03:06 PM']If the Colts had moved to Indy [b]before[/b] I moved to Cincy, I'd probably be a die-hard Colts fan.

Based upon where other family members live, we (my wife and kids) generally support (in this order):

Colts
Bucs
Eagles

...we also favor whoever is playing against the Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys, Browns, and Ravens.[/quote]

Here's a list of teams I like and dislike in the NFL. (I'm really bored at work, and my last day is Friday, so who cares anymore, right?)

[b][u]LOVE[/u][/b]

Bengals
Cardinals

[u][b]LIKE[/b][/u]

Texans
Colts
Bills
Dolphins
Broncos
Lions
Packers
Vikings
Falcons
Saints
Bucs
Giants
Eagles

[u][b]DISLIKE[/b][/u]

Ravens
Jaguars
Titans
Jets
Chiefs
Bears
Panthers
Redskins
Rams

[b][u]HATE[/u][/b]

Steelers
Browns
Patriots
Raiders
Chargers
Cowboys
49ers
Seahawks

Patriots, started watching them from Rhode Island in the late 60's and early 70s before I moved to Cincy. And at that time the Pats were a historically bad team. Those numbers look earily familiar, including the tie. But it took new ownership to fix that team.

1976 NFL New England Patriots 11 3 0
1975 NFL New England Patriots 3 11 0
1974 NFL New England Patriots 7 7 0
1973 NFL New England Patriots 5 9 0
1972 NFL New England Patriots 3 11 0
1971 NFL New England Patriots 6 8 0
1970 NFL Boston Patriots 2 12 0
1969 AFL Boston Patriots 4 10 0
1968 AFL Boston Patriots 4 10 0
1967 AFL Boston Patriots 3 10 1
1966 AFL Boston Patriots 8 4

and I'll catch flak for this, but I like the Ravens. I moved to Columbia MD in 97, their second year there. Actually went to a couple of games at old Memorial Stadium. For the record I despise Ray Lewis. The first couple of seasons were interestings because all these former Balt. Colts fans didn't know what to think, and most hated the name and colors. But winning cured all that.

The Ravens worst record was their inaugural season, at 4-12.

Two aha's in this reply- Pats didn't get better until new ownership came in, and Colts fans won over by Ravens winning ways.

[quote name='ArmyBengal' post='731437' date='Dec 10 2008, 03:35 PM']Patriots, started watching them from Rhode Island in the late 60's and early 70s before I moved to Cincy. And at that time the Pats were a historically bad team. Those numbers look earily familiar, including the tie. But it took new ownership to fix that team.

1976 NFL New England Patriots 11 3 0
1975 NFL New England Patriots 3 11 0
1974 NFL New England Patriots 7 7 0
1973 NFL New England Patriots 5 9 0
1972 NFL New England Patriots 3 11 0
1971 NFL New England Patriots 6 8 0
1970 NFL Boston Patriots 2 12 0
1969 AFL Boston Patriots 4 10 0
1968 AFL Boston Patriots 4 10 0
1967 AFL Boston Patriots 3 10 1
1966 AFL Boston Patriots 8 4

and I'll catch flak for this, but I like the Ravens. I moved to Columbia MD in 97, their second year there. Actually went to a couple of games at old Memorial Stadium. For the record I despise Ray Lewis. The first couple of seasons were interestings because all these former Balt. Colts fans didn't know what to think, and most hated the name and colors. But winning cured all that.

The Ravens worst record was their inaugural season, at 4-12.

Two aha's in this reply- Pats didn't get better until new ownership came in, and Colts fans won over by Ravens winning ways.[/quote]

I heat you about the Patriots. They are what I want the Bengals to be. One of the worst teams to a perrenial playoff contender and a dynasty. Perhaps that is why I hate them--envy and bitterness.

Also, I understand about the Ravens. I wouldn't dislike them at all if they weren't in our division.

My chick is a panthers fan, so I'll be rooting for them if I wanna get laid.

My entire life I've been a Bengals and whoever is playing against the Giants fan. Then I went to college in south/eastern PA and my hate for the Giants faded as my hatred for the Eagles grew. As I moved home I still relished Eagles losses but my hatred moved on towards the Pats and Steelers.

Since that week 17 game in 07 against the Pats I can't help but enjoy watching the Giants win games. Watching them beat the Pats in the superbowl surrounded by my friends who have been die-hard Giants fan's their whole lives was sureal. It just seemed like the ultimate good vs evil game. I like how the Giants developed their team and I like their style of play (not to mention they routinely beat other teams I don't like).

So I'll quitely be rooting for the giants to take it all.

[quote name='Actium' post='731433' date='Dec 10 2008, 04:14 PM']Here's a list of teams I like and dislike in the NFL. (I'm really bored at work, and my last day is Friday, so who cares anymore, right?)[/quote]

good way to assess them all, I added a don't care category

[b][u]LOVE[/u][/b]

Bengals
Patriots

[u][b]LIKE[/b][/u]

Colts
Dolphins
Vikings
Saints
Ravens
Seahawks

[u][b]Don’t Care [/b][/u]

Texans
Bills
Browns
Redskins (used to hate, but since I live here now, coming around)
Lions
Chiefs
Packers

[u][b]DISLIKE[/b][/u]

Eagles
Giants
Bucs
Falcons
Jaguars
Titans (hated the old Oilers)
Jets
Bears
Panthers
Rams
Chargers

[b][u]HATE[/u][/b]

Steelers
Raiders (old nemesis of Pats)
Cowboys (aint my freaking team)
49ers
Broncos

[quote name='Actium' post='731442' date='Dec 10 2008, 04:40 PM']I heat you about the Patriots. They are what I want the Bengals to be. One of the worst teams to a perrenial playoff contender and a dynasty. Perhaps that is why I hate them--envy and bitterness.

Also, I understand about the Ravens. I wouldn't dislike them at all if they weren't in our division.[/quote]

That's the thing, I've lived through a renaissance. I know it can happen. 49rs were the same way. I remember old Johnny Carson shows making fun of the Niners.

Archived