Bengals sign Naufahu Tahi to Offer Sheet

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/20/bengals-chasing-tahi/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/20/...s-chasing-tahi/[/url]

BENGALS CHASING TAHI
Posted by Mike Florio on March 20, 2009, 11:00 a.m. EDT
Fullback Naufahu Tahi is the Vikings starting fullback. He’s also a restricted free agent.

Soon, he could be a Cincinnati Bengal.

According to Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Bengals have signed Tahi to an offer sheet.

It’s a one-year, $1.4 million contract.

The Vikings tendered Tahi at the lowest level, with a one-year, $1.01 million offer. Because Tahi wasn’t drafted, the Vikings have a right to match the offer, but they’d be entitled to no compensation if they choose to let Tahi leave.

“Either way, I’m excited,” Tahi said.

The Vikings also have been connected to free-agent fullback Leonard Weaver, most recently of the Seahawks.

“If they feel someone else is going to be a better fit than me, then more power to them,” Tahi said. “There are definitely other teams I can play for. As long as I have somewhere to play, I’m OK.”

The Vikings signed Tahi from the Bengals’ practice squad in 2006. He became the starter during the 2008 season when the team dumped 2008 free-agent arrival Thomas Tapeh during the season, after learning that Tapeh had undisclosed knee surgery only weeks before signing a multi-year deal in Minnesota.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='757305' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:13 PM']So did this guy play all of last year infront of AP? If so then this is a solid move because he can clearly block.[/quote]

No, he split time with Kleinsasser and Minny used AP in a single back formation quite a bit.

[quote name='sparky151' post='757306' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:14 PM']No, he split time with Kleinsasser and Minny used AP in a single back formation quite a bit.[/quote]
Ehh, thats a little disappointing. But I'm under the impression that pretty much anyone who has played FB for most of their careers is an upgrade over Coats.

[quote](Rotoworld) The Bengals have signed restricted free agent FB Naufahu Tahi to a one-year, $1.4 million offer sheet.

Analysis: Minnesota extended Tahi a $1.01 million tender last month, so we suspect they'll match. The $390,000 difference probably isn't enough for the Vikings to risk losing their punishing, young lead blocker.[/quote]

[url="http://football99.myfantasyleague.com/2004/view_news_article?L=10117&ID=2009-03-20T10%3A41%3A00Rotoworld8608"]http://football99.myfantasyleague.com/2004...00Rotoworld8608[/url]

[quote name='sparky151' post='757304' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:12 AM']Why would we pay him that much? That's more than Mike Karney got, who's a better player.[/quote]

They probably offered that much, because it would take that much to
get him, he has played in our system, and Mike Karney wasn't available.

But seriously, Karney signed a 3 year deal, worth about $1.2 MM a year.
The Bengals are offer slightly more, for a 1 year deal.

And not too much more than the Vikings tendered him for.

Seriously though, is there a move this team makes, or does that you do like?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='757319' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:29 AM']didn't kleinsasser get hurt last year though?[/quote]

That's when Peterson lined up in the single back formation.

:ninja:

Seriously though, Tahi played in 16 games, started 5 of them,
and was tendered by one of the best Running teams in the NFL.

But, Karney makes less on average, so this is a shitty move
by the Bengals.

[quote][size=5][b]Agent: Bengals signTahi [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 20, 2009

According to the agent for Vikings fullback Naufahu Tahi, the Bengals signed him Friday to a one-year offer sheet totalling $1.4 million that Minnesota has a week to match.

David Lee, Tahi's Cincinnati-based agent, said it's a win-win situation for his client because while he's extremely comfortable in the Bengls system, he appreciates the Vikings for giving him the most playing time of his career. A Tahi signing would be a huge boost for the Cincinnati running game because of his physical presence blocking and running.

The only fullback on the Bengals roster is transplanted tight end Daniel Coats The Vikings appear to have the salary cap room, but they are also pursuing other free agents.

"He knows what the Bengals are trying to do on offense and he fits into it," said Lee, who said the deal calls for a $500,000 bonus and a $900,000 salary.

The 6-0, 254-pound Tahi had his break-out season this year blocking for Pro Bowl running back Adrian Peterson while also catching 16 passes for 37 yards. He ran it six times for 15 yards in all 16 games that included five starts. If the Vikes don't match, the Bengals don't have to give up compensation because they signed him as a free agent out of BYU in 2006.

In the '06 preseason finale in Indy, Tahi moved to tailback for the first time as a pro because of injuries at running back and barged for 54 yards on 11 carries. The Bengals cut him the next day and put him on the practice squad before releasing him later in the season.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7567"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7567[/url]

[quote name='sparky151' post='757304' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:12 AM']Why would we pay him that much? That's more than Mike Karney got, who's a better player.[/quote]

its a 1 year deal, karney got a 3 year deal. and depending how they gave him the bonus money he may be making about the same in the first year of the deal. if tey spread it karney will make more in later years of the deal.

the cost difference is a hundred grand here or there..

and being a better player is a matter of opinion i suppose. if karney were that great he would have got more money than he did.

tahi has less wear and tear, both are the same age. and karney isnt available....

and its probably an amount that simply wont get matched, we can redo his deal to a 3 year 3 mil deal as soon as the vikings dont match....

your quite the sourpuss... and about odd things, mostly about things that no one could really complain about...

OMG WTF BBQ we are gonna spend .8% of the cap on a FB upgrade.. OMG OM GOMG!!!!

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='757323' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:35 PM']Would the one to go be a center prospect?[/quote]

I wish - I've been waiting but from Lewis in previous post he seems to be happy with cook..... I hope he knows something we don't but i'm sure that is a 3rd round pick up in the draft.... i havn't heard of them bringing anyone in...

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='757328' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:49 AM']My Viking friend loves this guy.. Rotoworld says Minnesota will match[/quote]

the offers are pretty close. so its quite possible.. looks like they are looking into other FB's as well tho.. probably depends a lot what happens in other deals.

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='757328' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:49 PM']My Viking friend loves this guy.. Rotoworld says Minnesota will match[/quote]

If so, ...I bet we counter offer. He already knows our system.

Archived