Breaking news...Cowboy practice facility collapses

Wow. Read this on PFT too.

There's a video at Homer's link that is pretty interesting.

I'm very surprised at the reaction. These coaches are supposed to be taskmasters. I'm very surprised there weren't instant calls to get accountability of the personnel and to search under the fallen canopy.

And what is with 61 hugging the beam like a bitch.

Maybe football can parallel life though, and we can all think about and prepare our own emergency plans in our homes and workplaces.

You know, since we were reminded without anyone having to die.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='772937' date='May 2 2009, 10:53 PM']You're right, Jerry Jones probably WAS the Derby.[/quote]

Maybe we'll luck out and he'll get one of his prescriptions mixed at a local pharmacy...

[quote]DeCamillis Has A Broken Back
Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2009, 11:11 p.m. EDT

Cowboys special teams coach Joe DeCamillis suffered a broken back as a result of the collapse of the team’s indoor practice facility during a strong Saturday storm, according to the Associated Press.

“They say he’s lucky not to be paralyzed,” said former NFL coach Dan Reeves, who is the father-in-law of DeCamillis. Reeves also said that DeCamillis likely will have surgery due to multiple broken vertebrae.

The winds that caused the roof of the practice bubble were determined to be just shy of tornado strength.

“Apparently there was a microburst that produced 60 to 70 mph winds,” Jesse Moore of the National Weather Service told the Dallas Morning News. “It is very difficult to distinguish what is a tornado and what is a downburst.”

According to the DMN, a 33-year-old man was impaled by an object, another person suffered a head injury, and another has an open leg fracture.

In all, 12 people were injured.[/quote]

Thank god no one was killed......a few of these people need to be kept in our prayers.

[quote name='bammorrisgotmehigh' post='772997' date='May 3 2009, 01:46 AM']practice facility not needed with our schedule. We are already in the playoffs as of today ;)[/quote]

Nice non sequitur.

Do you even read the posts or do you just copy and paste the same tired lines?

Wait, don't answer that...

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='772989' date='May 2 2009, 11:55 PM']Thank god no one was killed......a few of these people need to be kept in our prayers.[/quote]
Wow, that sucks. I was kidding...hopefully the guy makes a speedy recovery.

Todd Archer use to cover the Bengals for Cincinnati Post from 1997-99.

[quote][size=5][b]In the eye of the storm[/b][/size]
6:31 PM Sat, May 02, 2009
Todd Archer

At 3:27 p.m. the tension structure at the Cowboys' practice facility collapsed under high winds and rain. The police estimate 70 people were inside in the indoor center at the time and 12 people went to the hospital.

I wasn't one of them. Thank goodness for that. Matter of fact, [b]thank DeAngelo Smith and Brandon Williams and Nick Eatman.[/b]

As we attempted to get out the door when the structure buckled, we got jammed until the door gave way. I think the door structure fell on me, knocking me to the ground. It then rested on my leg. Unable to move, I yelled for help, unaware what was going on around me.

I could see feet go by and I hoped somebody would attempt to lift it up so I could squeeze through. At first Eatman, one of the staff writer's for the team's Web site, attempted to lift some piece of the door off me. [b]He said Williams pushed him to the side and he and Smith were able to get whatever was on me off.[/b]

I rolled on to my back and crawled out as the rain - and I think hail - pounded us all. As I got up, I saw the structure I've been in hundreds of times down and started to make my way to the facility.

It all lasted 20-25 seconds but it seemed longer.[/quote]

[url="http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/in-the-eye-of-the-storm.html"]http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives...-the-storm.html[/url]

[quote][b]Cowboys: Scout Is Permanently Paralyzed From The Waist Down[/b]
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 3, 2009, 7:57 p.m. EDT

The Dallas Cowboys announced tonight that scouting assistant Rich Behm will be permanently paralyzed from the waist down after suffering a fracture of his back that “severed the spinal cord,” according to the Associated Press.

Behm, 33, was injured in the devastating wind storms that collapsed the Cowboys’ indoor practice facility.

Behm is reportedly in stable condition after undergoing surgery.

Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis is going to have surgery Monday to repair a fractured cervical vertebrae. He was able to walk after being injured and is expected to make a complete recovery. Per the team, DeCamillis is in stable condition.

Assistant athletic trainer Greg Gaither fractured his tibia and fibula in his right leg, which required surgery. He remains hospitalized.

Here is an unabridged statement from Cowboys team owner Jerry Jones posted on the team’s official Web site:

“To the Behm family we extend our love, comfort, and the full support of every person and resource within the organization. Rich is a courageous member of our family and someone for whom we care deeply. We ask for all friends and fans of the Dallas Cowboys to join us in embracing him and his family with their thoughts and prayers at this very difficult time.

“As we share concern for everyone who was touched by this accident, we also extend our heartfelt and best wishes to Coach Joe DeCamillis and his family as they prepare for Joe’s surgery tomorrow.”

“We are grateful that Greg Gaither’s surgery was successful, and we feel blessed that others involved were able to walk away from this accident after receiving medical attention yesterday afternoon.”

“The Dallas Cowboys organization would like to express its deepest appreciation to the City of Irving’s Fire, Police and medical emergency teams that collectively responded to the accident in the most timely and thorough manner yesterday. We are also grateful to those Cowboys players and staff members who acted so quickly and heroically in the face of personal danger to help those around them who were in need of immediate assistance.”[/quote]

Archived