Sunday Update

Sunday update
GEOFF HOBSON

Posted May 3, 2009

a a
Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis wrapped up the rookie camp Sunday enthused about the young receivers, a couple of free-agent defenders, and third-round pick Michel Johnson's first attempt at playing both defensive end and linebacker.

He cited one downer, an injury suffered by sixth-rounder Morgan Trent on Saturday. But Lewis expects the Michigan cornerback to be ready for the start of training camp after surgery to put in a screw to repair a small fracture in his foot.

Lewis also said he expects free-agent running back Marlon Lucky of Nebraska to return to the field in the next couple of week after he missed four of the five practices with what appeared to a hamstring problem.

After Sunday's practice the Bengals signed three tryout players to the roster: Ball State tight end Darius Hill, Central State defensive tackle Pernell Phillips, and Florida long snapper James Smith.

Out of the free-agent class, Lewis singled out Illinois State safety Tom Nelson and Grand Valley State linebacker Dan Skuta.

With the voluntary camps starting May 19, Lewis expects all the draft picks and most of the free agents to be eligibile to participate.

A couple of the veterans have already logged five practices. Two of last year's draft picks, wide receiver Jerome Simpson and tight end Matt Sherry, were on the field observing, but Simpson said that the meetings were just as valuable.

"Any time you get to be around when coaches are installing again it's a good opportunity to listen," Lewis said. "Maybe you hear one thing when they're installing a play or route or whatever it is that you didn't hear the last time it was installed and it's a key coaching point."

[quote name='mhfinks' post='773126' date='May 3 2009, 03:38 PM']Sunday update
GEOFF HOBSON

Posted May 3, 2009

a a
Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis wrapped up the rookie camp Sunday enthused about the young receivers, a couple of free-agent defenders, and third-round pick Michel Johnson's first attempt at playing both defensive end and linebacker.

He cited one downer, an injury suffered by sixth-rounder Morgan Trent on Saturday. But Lewis expects the Michigan cornerback to be ready for the start of training camp after surgery to put in a screw to repair a small fracture in his foot.

Lewis also said he expects free-agent running back Marlon Lucky of Nebraska to return to the field in the next couple of week after he missed four of the five practices with what appeared to a hamstring problem.

After Sunday's practice the Bengals signed three tryout players to the roster: Ball State tight end Darius Hill, Central State defensive tackle Pernell Phillips, [color="#FF0000"][size=6]and Florida long snapper James Smith.[/size][/color]

Out of the free-agent class, Lewis singled out Illinois State safety Tom Nelson and Grand Valley State linebacker Dan Skuta.

With the voluntary camps starting May 19, Lewis expects all the draft picks and most of the free agents to be eligibile to participate.

A couple of the veterans have already logged five practices. Two of last year's draft picks, wide receiver Jerome Simpson and tight end Matt Sherry, were on the field observing, but Simpson said that the meetings were just as valuable.

"Any time you get to be around when coaches are installing again it's a good opportunity to listen," Lewis said. "Maybe you hear one thing when they're installing a play or route or whatever it is that you didn't hear the last time it was installed and it's a key coaching point."[/quote]

tell me more...

[quote][size=5][b]Rookie minicamp concludes[/b][/size]
Posted by JoeReedy at 5/3/2009 2:15 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

All in all after five practices, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was pleased with what he saw from his draft class and college free agents during this weekend’s minicamp.

“I think it was a really productive three days,” Lewis said on Sunday after the minicamp concluded. “It was a good weekend for us to get to know and get a feel for the guys we drafted and certainly for them to get acclimated to what we do.”

Among some of the things that stood out from the weekend:

Defensively. Michael Johnson showed a lot of versatility. For a guy, who hadn’t played standing up in a two point since high school, the third-round pick quickly adapted to playing linebacker as well as defensive end. One moment he would be in defensive line tackling drills and the next he would be with the linebackers on interception workouts.

The fact that he quickly was able to go from position to position without much of an adjustment is something that defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was hoping Johnson would show early.

“The ability to learn and take the fine points of coaching on to the practice field is something that was really encouraging,” Lewis said. “He has incredible athletic ability and the opportunity to help at different spots will be there.”

On offense, running back Bernard Scott, who was selected late in the sixth round, showed some bursts of speed and was able to hit openings in the line while fullbacks Fui Vakapuna and Chris Pressley also had solid minicamps.

“I’m very pleased with our choices and I would say most exceeded expectations,” offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said. “Overall it is a sharp group that combined athleticism with intelligence.”

Depending on how well Jeremi Johnson comes back, both fullbacks could make the roster. Pressley would make a nice fit for the Bengals since he is more of a physical, blocking back.

“I want to be that old school fullback,” said Pressley, whose 610-pound squat at Wisconsin has been heavily viewed on YouTube. “The big reason why I came here is I’m a physical back that likes to thump defenses and make plays.”

Of Scott, Lewis said: “He came in and showed well. The biggest thing is getting him worked into shape. The ability to run and catch is there. Now it is learning how to block the linebackers and learn protections which we’ll get more time in as he goes.”

Two other college free agents ended up impressing Lewis – linebacker Dan Skuta (Grand Valley State) and safety Tom Nelson (Illinois State). Nelson has a chance of vying for one of the punt return spots.

For cramming a lot in a couple days, there weren’t a lot of mental errors. There was only one fumbled quarterback-center exchange during the three days.

“They have some growth and development, which you’re looking for in a college free agent class,” Lewis said.

INJURIES: There were only two injuries of note from the entire weekend. Cornerback and sixth-round pick suffered a small foot fracture during Saturday’s morning session. He will have a screw placed in the foot during surgery but should be ready for training camp.

Running back Marlon Lucky, a college free agent, suffered a hamstring injury on Friday and didn’t practice the rest of the weekend. In the one practice he did take part in, Lewis liked what he saw.

[b]THREE SIGNED:[/b] Three of the 23 tryout players -- tight end Darius Hill (Ball State), long snapper James Smith (Florida) and defensive tackle Pernell Phillips (Central State/Taft High) were signed as college free agents after minicamp concluded.

The roster currently stands at 86 and must be at 80 before the start of training camp.

One of the tryout players who wasn’t able to make it was former Ohio State QB Todd Boeckman.

“Todd did a good job in here with his ability to throw the football. We’ve got three quarterbacks right now which might be a tough nut to crack,” said Lewis before the signings were announced.

[b] EXTRA TIME: [/b]Second-year wideout Jerome Simpson was at all of the practices observing and also trying to get a better feel for the offense.

After a disappointing rookie campaign beset by injuries, Simpson has been working twice as hard during the offseason to catch up.

“I’m trying to improve my game and listen to the calls out there,” Simpson said.

[b] UP NEXT:[/b] Offseason conditioning workouts continue for the next two weeks before the on-field coaching sessions begin on May 19. The mandatory minicamp is June 18-20.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3aed7d3faf-003a-4054-beae-2561fe0a3c05&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com[/url]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='773133' date='May 3 2009, 05:03 PM']yeah, when i saw that i was hoping to hear if their going to have some competition at that position for St.Louis. and i really wanna see what that RB from Nebraska is got to show. his videos from youtube are badass.[/quote]

What was his forty time? For some reason, I don't find him as appealing as our draft choice Bernard Scott. Maybe he looks slower to me or something. I'm not impressed with Lucky's highlights.

[quote][size=5][b][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2009/05/03/bengals_sign_3_tryout_players.html"][color="#000000"]Bengals sign 3 tryout players to free agent contracts, including Central State DT[/color][/url][/b][/size]
By [url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2009/05/03/bengals_sign_3_tryout_players.html#postcomment"][color="#0d5e96"]Chick Ludwig [/color][/url]| Sunday, May 3, 2009, 01:14 PM

[b]CSU’S PERNELL PHILLIPS

BECOMES NEWEST BENGAL[/b]

“Ludwig At Large” congratulates former Central State University defensive tackle Pernell Phillips, who was among three tryout players signed by the Cincinnati Bengals to free-agent contracts on Sunday, May 3, following the three-day rookie minicamp.

[b]IN PERNELL PHILLIPS’ WORDS:[/b]

“‘m just trying to show ‘em I’m good enough for the NFL. It’s a blessing to be here. I’m glad they picked me out of all the athletes in the nation. I’m just trying to show ‘em what I can do on this field.

“I can be a great asset to the team. I will do my best in everything. Being a defensive tackle is all about leverage and your technique. That’s why coach (Jay) Hayes is teaching us to use our hands a lot, especially against those big ol’ offensive linemen.

“It takes leverage, size, strength and you need a little bit of speed. Mostly, you’ve got to know your plays, get in the playbook and know what you’ve got to do.

“If I can make the roster, it will help put Central State back on the map. It’s a great experience. Hopefully, I will open a lot of doors for other Marauders that are up and coming.”

[b]BENGALS SIGN THREE TRYOUT PLAYERS[/b]

[i]The Bengals today signed three players who participated on a tryout basis in this weekend’s rookie minicamp.[/i]

Joining the roster as college free agents are:

NAME, POSITION, HEIGHT, WEIGHT, COLLEGE; HOMETOWN

• Darius Hill, TE, 6-7, 247, Ball State; Blue Springs, Mo.

[b]• Pernell Phillips, DT, 6-0, 311, Central State (OH); Cincinnati (Taft HS)[/b]

• James Smith, LS, 6-2, 244, Florida; Gainesville, Fla.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2009/05/03/bengals_sign_3_tryout_players.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/conte...ut_players.html[/url]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='773127' date='May 3 2009, 03:41 PM']tell me more...[/quote]

[quote][b]Friday, October 24, 2008 12:38 AM EDT
[size=5]The Long Shot: James Smith becomes walk-on hero for Gators[/size] [/b]
By BRIAN STEELE , Alligator Staff Writer

Former UF coach Ron Zook approaches James Smith and asks him a simple question.

“Can you do anything else besides play linebacker?”

Smith responds with an even more succinct, “Well, I can long-snap.”

“Then you got a spot on the team,” Zook says.

Five years ago, Smith thought that moment was the pinnacle of his life.

He was wrong.

Now, Smith, a former Buchholz High star, has become one of the most successful walk-ons in UF football history, and his leadership abilities have even been compared to Tim Tebow’s. He has become a regular in the lineup when most walk-ons crave just a chance to wear the uniform. He is recognized as a team leader for one of the top programs in the country amid four- and five-star prospects who had more Division I offers than Smith had from Division II programs. He’s become the guy who — when any new hopeful player wanders out to the practice field for the first time — is the first sought out for advice.

All this from an undersized linebacker who was always told walking on to the program he has been following his whole life “is not possible” and “won’t be done.”

Apparently, they should have gotten to know someone many of his teammates call one of the most committed members of the nation’s No. 5-ranked team.

The Art of the Snap

Smith trots out on the field and bends over. He gets a firm grasp on the football and slightly bends his knees. He looks through his legs and, with a quick snap of the wrist, sends the ball directly into punter Chas Henry’s hands.

That’s it.

Smith’s duty is done, and he performed it well. That’s what he has done for the last four years. That’s what he’s taken 100-plus degree Florida heat for summer day after summer day while getting pounded on by players who are bigger and faster than him.

Not exactly the college party most envision when they come to UF. As a walk-on, however, that’s just the path he’s been called to tread upon.

“You’re almost a little bit disposable,” Smith said. “(The coaching staff) doesn’t have anything invested in you. You have to do (the same thing) multiple times to get the same chances.”

Doing the same thing is exactly what Smith does. The vast majority of those 90,000 lunatics filling Ben Hill Griffin Stadium don’t notice what Smith does. They certainly will if he is off by an inch with his snap, though. That’s never been a worry with Smith.

“The camera, a lot of times, won’t even show the snap,” Smith’s brother, Brian said. “They’ll be focused on the punter.”

For the senior who started long-snapping in high school “just because nobody else could do it,” he’s even more consistent with his snaps than Tebow is running up the gut of defenses.

“In high school, you can have some of those moments where you’re not real sure where the ball is going to go, but having James Smith out there, who’s a four-year starter ... You never really have to worry about it,” Henry said. “It’s always going to be right there on your hip.”

Smith’s long-snapping duties have caused some difficult family times, too. During Brian’s freshman year at the Naval Academy, he wanted to watch James during his first Tennessee game. Except for one thing: Plebes — students in their freshman year at the Academy — are not allowed to watch TV. So Brian went down to his training sergeant and told him of his situation. And apparently the upperclassmen felt the brotherly love, because they let Brian watch the game with them that night.

But there was still a problem.

“I wanted to go crazy, but I had to be still with all the juniors,” Brian said.

His parents were probably excited enough back home in Gainesville.

Apparently those 100-plus snaps a day have paid off.

The Unknown Leader

It was a list of 11 names. Tim Tebow, you’ve probably heard of him. Brandon Spikes, he’s fairly well-known, too. You probably have even heard of offensive linemen Jason Watkins, Phil Trautwein and Jim Tartt.

Backup linebacker Ryan Stamper was even more understandable. But the friggin’ long snapper? A team captain?

If you’re wondering why, just ask the players. They’re the ones who voted him as one of their leaders.

“He’s really pushing me and everyone else,” Tebow said. “In running and sprinting, that’s where he is a really hard worker. That’s where he’s earned a lot of respect from the guys on the team. He’s a blessing to Florida football.”

And whenever your name is linked to Tebow’s, that’s something you shouldn’t take lightly.

“You could kind of label him like a Tim Tebow,” sophomore center Maurkice Pouncey said.

Smith stays out of trouble, and he will soon graduate with a degree in Exercise and Sport Sciences. Even Tebow, who is known as a picture-perfect student-athlete, can point to Smith to show how to be successful not just on the field, but in life.

Even if you don’t recognize who No. 43 is, all that matters is the impact he tries to make on every player who sprints out of that tunnel on Saturday.

“I don’t mind if people don’t know who I am,” Smith said. “It doesn’t bother me a bit.”

He is the real leader for any other walk-ons who try to follow in his footsteps. Smith has become an idol of what a walk-on can be.

“It gives guys hope,” said Joey Sorrentino, another successful walk-on. “Come out here and bust your butt and look what can happen.”

But to get to that point, you better never take a second off. For every drop of sweat that comes off a scholarship player’s brow, two drops need to come off of a walk-on’s. And that’s where Smith has separated himself.

“The things you don’t see is off-season training,” Sorrentino said. “He’s one of the hardest workers on the team. He gets there early, stays late. Pushing. Motivating. Really knows how to pick guys up.”

Whenever walk-ons come out for the team, they quickly seek out Smith.

“I just tell them it’s going to be rough,” Smith said. “You just got to work hard.”

The End Is Near

Adrenaline is pulsing in his veins. Sweat is starting to trickle down his brow. Butterflies are jumping up and down like a hyper child on a trampoline in his stomach.

Smith is about to run through the tunnel and into The Swamp for the first time of his collegiate career. He feels like he’s running a 4.2-second 40-yard dash, he has so much adrenaline. To put that in perspective, freshman running back Jeff Demps, who almost made America’s Olympic track team, doesn’t run that fast.

“I’m not knocking James, but if you had told me when we were little kids that he would play for the Gators and start for four years,” Brian said, “that would’ve been a long shot.”

Now Smith is just six regular season games, a potential SEC Championship and a potential bowl bid away from never playing competitive football again.

Maybe, however, that doesn’t matter.

“I’d like to buy some stock in his future,” UF coach Urban Meyer said.

That’s probably not a bad idea. His past has been a pleasant surprise.[/quote]

[url="http://www.alligator.org/articles/2008/10/24/sports/football/081024_asmith.txt"]http://www.alligator.org/articles/2008/10/...1024_asmith.txt[/url]

[quote name='mhfinks' post='773126' date='May 3 2009, 08:38 PM']Sunday update
GEOFF HOBSON

and third-round pick Michel Johnson's first attempt at playing both defensive end and linebacker.[/quote]

Who's this French guy Michel Johnson then?

Jeez Hobnob.

[quote][size=5][b]Rookie camp wrap up[/b][/size]
GEOFF HOBSON

Posted May 3, 2009

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis wrapped up the rookie camp Sunday enthused about the young receivers, a couple of free-agent defenders, and third-round pick Michael Johnson's first attempt at playing both defensive end and SAM linebacker.

Lewis also said he expects free-agent running back Marlon Lucky of Nebraska to return to the field in the next couple of weeks after he missed four of the five practices with what appeared to be a hamstring problem.

After Sunday's practice the Bengals signed three tryout players to the roster: Ball State tight end Darius Hill, Central State defensive tackle Pernell Phillips, and Florida long snapper James Smith.

"Any time you get to be around when coaches are installing again it's a good opportunity to listen," Lewis said. "Maybe you hear one thing when they're installing a play or route or whatever it is that you didn't hear the last time it was installed and it's a key coaching point."

[b]GOOD RECEPTION: [/b]Two receivers off last year's roster, Mario Urrutia and Maurice Purify, were able to work in the rookie camp but they got some competition from a class of free-agent wideouts that offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski says is as good as any he's seen since his first season here in '01.

Utah's Freddie Brown has to be included in that mix even though he was the last player the Bengals drafted at No. 252 in the seventh round after catching 77 balls for 900 yards last year.

OK, start with the comparisons. He's 6-4, 213, he's from California (La Verne), played at a junior college (Citrus), is smart, a good route runner, and has good hands. Plus, Brown was wearing T.J. Houshmandzadeh's No. 84.

It was eight years ago the Bengals took Houshmandzadeh with the 204th pick in the seventh round.

"I thought he was earlier. T.J.? Really? I'll have to look that one up," Brown said. "He's done some big things. Now he's in Seattle and it might be a good situation for him. I wish him the best. I suppose (we have similar styles). He might not be a blazer. I know I'm not. I have these intangibles that can work to my advantage."

Like brains. Brown had a 3.3 grade point average in getting a degree in human development and family studies before his senior season ("So I could just focus on ball," he said) and the coaches were able to line him up in all three spots this weekend.

"He's very, very intelligent like T.J. was," Bratkowski said. "He's picking it up extremely fast. That was a positive. Quan Cosby is also intelligent about the game and I thought he looked good."

Cosby, out of Texas, David Richmond of San Jose State, and Greg Orton of Purdue make up the rookie receiver class, along with Brown. Bratkowski said they may be battling for one or two roster spots, depending how special teams work out. Cosby has the leg up there and caught punts this camp with another free agent, the safety Nelson.

With the Bengals already lining up with Chad Ochocinco, Laveranues Coles, Andre Caldwell, Simpson and Chris Henry, it would seem to come down to one spot available. Veteran punt returner Antonio Chatman also has a battle on his hands.

Brown isn't counting; he's just trying to catch the ball.

"The receiver group is a good group; I'm really pleased with them," Lewis said. "(Brown) is extremely sharp. He was able to learn all three positions this weekend and do a really good job catching the football. He's a big guy who'll be able to block and things. He's a good prospect."

[b]STANDOUTS:[/b] The 6-2, 251-pound Skuta and the 5-11, 200-pound Nelson drew raves from Lewis. It looks like Skuta may be able to learn all three spots because he played up, down, and all-around in college. And for the first time in his 16 years in the NFL, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer coached a fellow Illinois State player this weekend in Nelson.

"I don’t think he liked it too much," said Zimmer, who started at quarterback but moved to linebacker for the Redbirds in the mid '70s. "Every time he made a mistake, I told him he was a disgrace to my alma mater."

"But he's a good kid," Zimmer said, no longer joshing. "He moves well, he can return punts, and he's got a decent concept of where to be."

Lewis also liked the flashes of speed Lucky showed before he pulled up at the end of the first practice.

"They weren't out of place. They have some growth and development and that's what you're looking for in a college free agent class," Lewis said. "Guys that have some upside through athleticism. ... If they can't stick on the 53-man roster they have a great opportunity to be a practice squad player throughout the year."

[b]SCARY MOMENTS: [/b]Zimmer admitted to be stunned Saturday night when he heard about the tornado-like winds that ripped through the Cowboys indoor facility during their rookie camp.

"I was thinking last night I've probably been in that place a thousand times," he said. "I haven’t talked to anybody down there yet but I'm just glad no one got killed."

Todd Archer of [i]The Dallas Morning News[/i], who covered the Bengals for [i]The Cincinnati P[/i]ost in the late '90s, is one of the guys Zimmer knows from his 13 seasons in Dallas. On Sunday, Archer found himself thanking another Cincinnati guy in University of Cincinnati rookie cornerback DeAngelo Smith.

Smith, along with rookie Texas Tech defensive end Brandon Williams, pulled what appeared to be part of a door frame off Archer during a collapse that injured a dozen people.

"My lower body was free, but I couldn't move my upper body. I think it was the door frame," said Archer via phone Sunday. "We were on the field watching practice and then when the lights went out, we headed to the door. I got pinned, but I could see cleats out from underneath."

Nick Eatman of the club's Web site struggled to get the wreckage off Archer, but Archer later discovered that Williams had pushed Eatman out of the way in order to get it off him. Archer would blog that Eatman told him it was like trying to lift a car. With the door raised inches, Archer was able to turn on his back and crawl out.

Talk about cooperating with the media.

"I haven't seen those guys yet," Archer said. "But I sent word out to thank them."

[b]PROUD MOMENT[/b]: Former Bengal Mike Martin's revival of the football program at Cincinnati Public Schools' Taft High School had another milestone Sunday when the Bengals signed a player off his second team in Phillips, a 6-0, 311-pounder.

Phillips impressed with his strength while part of a defensive line that had a nice camp. Besides Johnson, another tackle, seventh-rounder Clinton McDonald (6-2, 285) out of Memphis, had a very active weekend.

"Great news; it's very exciting," Martin said. "I told him before he went to camp that he had to figure out a way to stand out in a positive way."

Power will do it. And it's the power of what kids like Phillips did Sunday with his help that made Martin rethink his decision to resign the job late last season and come back.

"He transferred from Hughes because he heard what I was doing over here and I knew he had some ability," Martin said of that second season in '03. "In one game he had 24 tackles."

In order to get his grades up, Martin hooked up Phillips with a junior college, the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, Ill., but when the coach left for Central State and wanted to take Phillips with him, Martin advised him to go even though he'd have to sit a year.

"That's great for him to be able to get a pro contract," Martin said.

[b]MORE MIKE:[/b] Not since Carson Palmer arrived via the first pick in 2003 has a rookie heard so many rave notices the first weekend in May.

Maybe Michael Johnson, the Georgia Tech defensive end, didn't get here until the third round, but he certainly didn't disappoint when he came in and adjusted as well as can be hoped in playing both end and linebacker. Combine that with brains and desire and, well, the coaches can't help themselves as they discuss the 6-7 prodigy.

"He's shown a lot of flexibility to come out here and learn two positions," Lewis said. "I've really been pleased with his ability to learn, his ability to take the fine points of coaching on the practice field. I was very impressed with Mike.

"He has incredible athletic ability. The opportunity for him to help us at different spots will be there. I think also contributing on special teams. He's very, very fast, big, strong, (has) the ability to learn. That's a huge positive."

[b]SLANTS AND SCREENS: [/b]Lewis liked what he saw of the two fullbacks, seventh-rounder Fui Vakapuna of BYU and free agent Chris Pressley of Wisconsin ("They both have great opportunity"), as well as sixth-round running back Bernard Scott.

"My man B. Scott, I think he really came in and showed well," Lewis said. "I think he was getting himself worked into shape. I think this was a lot of football for him this weekend and with (Lucky) going down he got a lot of time, a lot of repetition.

"The biggest thing for him is the ability to run and catch and do those is there. The adjustment he needs to make is to block linebackers and learn protection and those things."

Before Friday, Scott was best known for five arrests and four colleges. Four of the arrests have been dismissed and one about to be expunged, but he didn't dodge the character issue this weekend and took on all comers. He also showed he can turn on the jets getting to the outside.

"I knew some teams would run from me," admitted Scott, but he says he's grown up and is hanging with a better crowd and making better decisions because he's thinking before reacting.

He had one tattoo above his heart that was interesting because of the dates, 1933-1998.

"My grandmother. My parents raised me but she was the one everyone looked up to," he said.

» Long snapper Brad St. Louis, a seventh round pick in 2000, is the dean of the Bengals with 139 games. He'll have some competition, at least early on, when Florida's Smith survived his weekend tryout. After timing Smith's snaps from the ground to the punter this weekend, the coaches felt he was legit enough to take a longer look.

"He's a good athlete. Not many long snappers run 4.6," said special teams coach Darrin Simmons of Smith's 40-yard dash time. "But he's never had to block anyobdy. He just snapped it and took off. Now he's going to have to protect."[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/rookie-camp-wrap-up/84b33655-51ea-4282-804b-4b9f06e77b38"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/rook...4b-4b9f06e77b38[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Lewis: Minicamp productive[/b][/size]
By Joe Reedy • jreedy@enquirer.com • May 3, 2009

After five practices, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was pleased with what he saw from his draft class and college free agents during this weekend's minicamp.

"I think it was a really productive three days," Lewis said on Sunday after the minicamp concluded. "It was a good weekend for us to get to know and get a feel for the guys we drafted and certainly for them to get acclimated to what we do."
Among some of the things that stood out from the weekend:

Defensively. Michael Johnson showed a lot of versatility. For a guy, who hadn't played standing up in a two point since high school, the third-round pick quickly adapted to playing linebacker as well as defensive end. One moment he would be in defensive line tackling drills and the next he would be with the linebackers on interception workouts.

The fact that he quickly was able to go from position to position without much of an adjustment is something that defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was hoping Johnson would show early.

"The ability to learn and take the fine points of coaching on to the practice field is something that was really encouraging," Lewis said. "He has incredible athletic ability and the opportunity to help at different spots will be there."

On offense, running back Bernard Scott, who was selected late in the sixth round, showed some bursts of speed and was able to hit openings in the line while fullbacks Fui Vakapuna and Chris Pressley also had solid minicamps.

"I'm very pleased with our choices and I would say most exceeded expectations," offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said. "Overall it is a sharp group that combined athleticism with intelligence."

Depending on how well Jeremi Johnson comes back, both fullbacks could make the roster. Pressley would make a nice fit for the Bengals since he is more of a physical, blocking back.

"I want to be that old school fullback," said Pressley, whose 610-pound squat at Wisconsin has been heavily viewed on YouTube. "The big reason why I came here is I'm a physical back that likes to thump defenses and make plays."

Of Scott, Lewis said: "He came in and showed well. The biggest thing is getting him worked into shape. The ability to run and catch is there. Now it is learning how to block the linebackers and learn protections which we'll get more time in as he goes."

Two other college free agents ended up impressing Lewis - linebacker Dan Skuta (Grand Valley State) and safety Tom Nelson (Illinois State). Nelson has a chance of vying for one of the punt return spots.

For cramming a lot in a couple days, there weren't a lot of mental errors. There was only one fumbled quarterback-center exchange during the three days.

"They have some growth and development, which you're looking for in a college free agent class," Lewis said.

[b]INJURIES:[/b] There were only two injuries of note from the entire weekend. Cornerback and sixth-round pick Morgan Trent suffered a small foot fracture during Saturday's morning session. He will have a screw placed in the foot during surgery but should be ready for training camp.

Running back Marlon Lucky, a college free agent, suffered a hamstring injury on Friday and didn't practice the rest of the weekend. In the one practice he did take part in, Lewis liked what he saw.

[b]THREE SIGNED: [/b]Three of the 23 tryout players -- tight end Darius Hill (Ball State), long snapper James Smith (Florida) and defensive tackle Pernell Phillips (Central State/Taft High) were signed as college free agents after minicamp concluded.
The roster currently stands at 86 and must beat 80before the start of training camp.

One of the tryout players who wasn't able to make it was former Ohio State quarterback Todd Boeckman.

"Todd did a good job in here with his ability to throw the football. We've got four quarterbacks right now which might be a tough nut to crack," said Lewis before the signings were announced.

[b]EXTRA TIME: [/b]Second-year wideout Jerome Simpson was at all of the practices observing and also trying to get a better feel for the offense.

After a disappointing rookie campaign beset by injuries, Simpson has been working twice as hard during the offseason to catch up.

"I'm trying to improve my game and listen to the calls out there," Simpson said.

[b]UP NEXT:[/b] Offseason conditioning workouts continue for the next two weeks before the on-field coaching sessions begin on May 19. The mandatory minicamp is June 18-20.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090503/SPT02/905040343/1066"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009050.../905040343/1066[/url]

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='773300' date='May 4 2009, 10:14 AM']It seems strange that there were no comments (either good or bad) about Andre Smith.[/quote]

This is from the Bengals.com site.........

While Maualuga swam in the unchartered waters of SAM linebacker, the big fish returned to his feeding ground when Andre Smith made like sonar Friday and showed the basics of why he was the top left tackle in college football this past year during the Bengals first two practices of rookie camp.

"I kind of left today breathing easy," said offensive line coach Paul Alexander as he exited the morning practice. "I think he's going to be pretty good."

Yes, but they won't say where.

Or how long he's going to be the left tackle or if he'll be the right tackle when the veterans join them on the field May 19. Alexander says we're only on Day A and the call won't come until Day B. Whenever that is.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='773300' date='May 4 2009, 10:14 AM']It seems strange that there were no comments (either good or bad) about Andre Smith.[/quote]

Stop stirring your own pot, man. :mellow:

There were lots of praises about Andrea Smith in a great many articles written over the past few days.

[quote name='mhfinks' post='773302' date='May 4 2009, 10:25 AM']This is from the Bengals.com site.........

While Maualuga swam in the unchartered waters of SAM linebacker, the big fish returned to his feeding ground when Andre Smith made like sonar Friday and showed the basics of why he was the top left tackle in college football this past year during the Bengals first two practices of rookie camp.

"I kind of left today breathing easy," said offensive line coach Paul Alexander as he exited the morning practice. [b]"I think he's going to be pretty good."[/b]

Yes, but they won't say where.

Or how long he's going to be the left tackle or if he'll be the right tackle when the veterans join them on the field May 19. Alexander says we're only on Day A and the call won't come until Day B. Whenever that is.[/quote]

You know, I hope it didn't take a Rookie Minicamp for him to think this. You draft a guy at 6, you better think that before you put the card in.

I think the operative question is "what have we learned so far?"

Rookie camp is not really where we learn what the guys can do. The competition is not "real" enough to learn anything concrete. I think, if anything, it is merely a place where we can learn what guys can't do. So far, we have learned:
[list]
[*]Andre Smith has not yet been eliminated from the LT discussion (aka he did not show anything that would be an automatic red flag)
[*]Maualuga is aggressive, and is being condiered at a couple different spots. Tells me the coaches are merely considering their options.
[*]Johnson is atheltic, and they are exploring ways to get the most out of him
[*]Luigs shows signs of being able to learn the offense
[*]Scott had a couple nice carries
[*]Some within the organization may be doubting why they bothered to re-sign Jeremi J
[*]MOST IMPORTANTLY - No one got hurt that they are counting on contributing in 2009
[/list]

[quote name='whodey1971' post='773380' date='May 4 2009, 03:02 PM']I think the operative question is "what have we learned so far?"

Rookie camp is not really where we learn what the guys can do. The competition is not "real" enough to learn anything concrete. I think, if anything, it is merely a place where we can learn what guys can't do. So far, we have learned:
[list]
[*]Andre Smith has not yet been eliminated from the LT discussion (aka he did not show anything that would be an automatic red flag)
[*]Maualuga is aggressive, and is being condiered at a couple different spots. Tells me the coaches are merely considering their options.
[*]Johnson is atheltic, and they are exploring ways to get the most out of him
[*]Luigs shows signs of being able to learn the offense
[*]Scott had a couple nice carries
[*]Some within the organization may be doubting why they bothered to re-sign Jeremi J
[*]MOST IMPORTANTLY - No one got hurt that they are counting on contributing in 2009
[/list][/quote]
Morgan Trent and Marlon Lucky... Trent's injury seemed a bit serious.

I think through all the articles you've got confirmation on 3 starters (Smith, Rey, Huber). Major contributor in MJ and a big center competition in TC.

There was none of the stuff from last year about Pat Sims's body and showing him and Shirley how to get in a stance etc. None of the young rookie WRs learning curve.

IMO, for several of this year prospects it all sounds like similar things said about Rivers. Just a matter of were to stick them and then fill in the gaps.

It doesn't appear there is going to be any projects or a year to learn type players.

[quote][size=5][b]Former Gator Smith Signs With Bengals[/b][/size]
Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Former Gator football long snapper James Smith has officially been signed by the Cincinnati Bengals as a free agent.

Smith appeared on AM 850's Sportscene sports talk show live on Monday and said he has already gone through a rookie minicamp with the team and will go through another one later this month.

Smith said a phone call from Gator head coach Urban Meyer was instrumental in getting Smith a chance with the Bengals.[/quote]

[url="http://www.am850.com/sports/archives/2009/05/former_gator_smith_signs_with_bengals.asp"]http://www.am850.com/sports/archives/2009/...ith_bengals.asp[/url]

Archived