My Thoughts on our Draft Needs

Jason

I posted this on an NFL site, so it was written to people who aren't necessarily Bengals fans, so that's why it is written the way it is. But here it is. What do you think? What do you agree with or disagree with?

The Bengals don't have any glaring needs. Certainly nothing they HAVE to take in the first round. I think the Bengals can go straight BPA in 1 (excluding QB, of course).

I think SS is more of a need than FS, but I would not object to either.

RB is not a huge need. But Benson is only on a 2 year contract. I wouldn't mind a RB for the future, but I don't see it as an immediate need unless the player is high value at the spot he is taken.

I don't see CB as an immediate need this year. Joseph and Hall are outstanding, and rookie CBs struggle, so I think Trent will get better. If they can't re-sign JoJo and Hall, I think CB could be a prime need next year.

I would consider TE a 4th round need or later, and he would need to be a very good blocker. Now, if Gresham somehow falls to our second round pick he would be tough to pass on just for the value, but I would not take one in the first round unless he is clearly the best player available.

WR may be a bigger need than most here think. Chad and Coles are both over 30, and with a few rare exceptions, WRs tend to have sharp drop offs shortly after turning 30. Jerome Simpson has not shown anything and Chris Henry is on his last year. He wants to come back, but will someone else offer him more than we want to match? However, depending on who comes out early, next year could be a GREAT year for WRs, and I would be willing to wait.

DE is not a big need. We have good talent and depth, as well as a good mix of youth and experience. Plus we have 2 big contracts there for a couple more years.

DT isn't a huge need, but if Tank Johnson is not re-signed I wouldn't mind drafting one. Wouldn't mind doing it early either if they player is worth the pick. But I would not reach for one.

I think the Bengals plan to eventually move Rey inside, but I wouldn't mind at all if he stayed at SAM. Dhani has been solid, but he's getting old. Brandon Johnson has played well but I think he's a FA. I would love to re-sign him, and could see putting him at WILl and moving Rivers in the middle. I'm not sure he could play SAM. Either way, a MLB or a SLB is a spot I wouldn't mind drafting early.

OT is not a need at all. C is not a need. OG could be a need. For depth if nothing else. Bobbie Williams is on the last year of his contract. I could see him back for a year or 2, and if so, G is a minimal need. If he leaves, G becomes a mid round need.

I could definitely see a WR taken, unless Simpson shows us something in the last 6 games and Henry is resigned. Then you have a core three of Henry, Simpson & Caldwell when Coles and Ocho leave. Probably the two biggest needs outside of that are CB (I would be very happy to see Trent as our dime back) and LB is likely the greatest need. I like Dhani but he can be upgraded and he is also getting on the old side. I also wouldn't be opposed to another tackle if one fell to us and move Whit back in to LG. Then get Bobbie's replacement late in the draft. So yeah, the team has plenty of needs in my book, just none so pressing as tackle last year, or CB the couple years before that.

safety, te, linebacker, and guard depth.

I don't know if he'll be rated that high, but I'd love to pick up Eric Norwood from South Carolina in the late 1st (despite the fact that he looks like hines ward). Excellent pass rusher in an Elvis Dumervil mold, who I think could turn in to a very good SLB.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='29 November 2009 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1259515068' post='833737']
[color="#FF0000"]safety, te, linebacker, and guard depth.
[/color]

I don't know if he'll be rated that high, but I'd love to pick up Eric Norwood from South Carolina in the late 1st (despite the fact that he looks like hines ward). Excellent pass rusher in an Elvis Dumervil mold, who I think could turn in to a very good SLB.
[/quote]

x2

I think
LT not likely though with draft position. I want Whitworth back inside were I think he is better.
DT or DE need to keep adding young beef upfront. Tank may not be back and who knows with Odoms injury.
LB dont know exact postion with Rey possibly manning the middle but still need some help
CB who knows if Hall and Joseph can be resigned. Need some time for a new guy to learn.
OG need to add depth in case of injury and possibly Bobbie leaving or injured

QB no
RB probably not, we have our 3 guys for next year and have shown an ability to find diamonds in the rough
FB no way, we have 3 or 4 guys on the fringes of other teams rosters that we could bring back and/or mold new ones in the offseason
WR Maybe, I think Henry will be restricted and I like everyone else to stay as well.
TE Maybe, would have to be a perfect fit, we have 5 guys in the mix next year here already.
C No
G? T? I group them together because I think we need one. I would draft a lineman in the first 4 rounds every year.
I think our best line has Whitworth at RT and Smith at LT with Evan Mathis at LG.
DT No, if we resign Tank, Yes if we dont
DE No, we are loaded there
SLB Yes
MLB No
WLB No
S Yes
CB Yes, desperately need a nickel guy. I would actually say this should be a FA.

[quote name='globetrotter' date='10 December 2009 - 12:33 PM' timestamp='1260462793' post='839728']
QB no
RB probably not, we have our 3 guys for next year and have shown an ability to find diamonds in the rough
FB no way, we have 3 or 4 guys on the fringes of other teams rosters that we could bring back and/or mold new ones in the offseason
WR Maybe, I think Henry will be restricted and I like everyone else to stay as well.
TE Maybe, would have to be a perfect fit, we have 5 guys in the mix next year here already.
C No
G? T? I group them together because I think we need one. I would draft a lineman in the first 4 rounds every year.
I think our best line has Whitworth at RT and Smith at LT with Evan Mathis at LG.
DT No, if we resign Tank, Yes if we dont
DE No, we are loaded there
SLB Yes
MLB No
WLB No
S Yes
[b]CB Yes, desperately need a nickel guy. I would actually say this should be a FA.[/b]
[/quote]

I would not draft a CB to be our nickel. Morgan Trent has shown me enough to think that once he's not a rookie anymore he can be good in that role. I would consider drafting a CB to eventually replace Hall or JoJo (I would love to keep both, but I don't know if we can afford it). As for a free agent, maybe. But free agent CBs cost a lot of money, and often more than they are worth. If we could get a decent one at a fair price, I would not be opposed.

I agree with your assessment.

At the position they're picking in the first round and no glaring must fill hole(s), they have a luxury of BPA at a couple of focused positions. You listed them well.

The offensive woes got me to thinking. Would they take a QB if one of the top prospects fell into their lap? Is the timing that far off? Murmurs of CP are now floating around. I don't subscibe to any, but they're out there. So if a top QB fell into their laps, would a few years mentoring behind CP be the right move? Everyone thought Aaron Rodgers had staled, he was forgotten and written off b/c of so much bench time.

Homer in me wants Mardy Gilyard to a multiple threat, but I can't see him getting past the Ratbirds.

[quote name='ArmyBengal' date='14 December 2009 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1260810740' post='842356']
I agree with your assessment.

At the position they're picking in the first round and no glaring must fill hole(s), they have a luxury of BPA at a couple of focused positions. You listed them well.

The offensive woes got me to thinking. Would they take a QB if one of the top prospects fell into their lap? Is the timing that far off? Murmurs of CP are now floating around. I don't subscibe to any, but they're out there. So if a top QB fell into their laps, would a few years mentoring behind CP be the right move? Everyone thought Aaron Rodgers had staled, he was forgotten and written off b/c of so much bench time.

Homer in me wants Mardy Gilyard to a multiple threat, but I can't see him getting past the Ratbirds.
[/quote]

I'm not ready to replace CP, or even draft his future replacement just yet. I am probably ready to say we need to get him a new toy (i.e. WR) to play with though as something of a need in 1, and a RG in 2 or 3, depending on the value of the available players. At WR I'm hoping for a big WR who has some deep capability. If Dez Bryant is somehow available in 1, or Lafell, I think I would be all over that. If not, maybe Damaryius Thomas or Gilyard in 2 (even though Mardy doesn't have the size I would prefer).

If upgrading the line, and improving the receiving corps (including Chase Coffman next year) doesn't solve the problem, then maybe it's time to look for a new QB in the 2011 draft.

- Need a legit, young impactful saftey pretty bad.

- Rey will eventually move inside, and I really like the LBs, I wouldn't mind a high round pick, but I definately don't see anything before the 3rd.

- The Bengals have some needs on the Dline. They could use another guy in there and if someone was there who you don't expect...

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='01 December 2009 - 10:36 PM' timestamp='1259725007' post='835876']
for those that follow the Big Ten, does anyone else think Brandon Graham could make the transition to MLB in the NFL? He'd need to lose 10lbs or so, but he seems to have the size, speed, athleticism and smarts to pull it off.
[/quote]

Possibly, but I think he's really more of a DE or 3-4 rush LB, a la DeMarcus Ware. He's got a lot of tools, for sure, but for the Bengals, I'd rather say Rey Rey in the middle and someone else play outside. Given how he's played, I wouldn't be at all disappointed to see Brandon Johnson starting next year. He's their best cover guy (and Rey struggles there), and probably the best blitzer, too.

Even though they're 9-4, the Bengals have a lot of needs:

1. WR - given that Coles has done little, Chad is getting older, Chris RIP, and Simpson has shown nothing to this point, this is a primary need - a WR who can stretch the field. Additionally, not sure what you'll get from Purify as a WR... although I think Quan can help you in the slot. Not sure why Caldwell seems to be the designee there, because I see him more on the outside.

2. G - Bobbie is getting older and may not be re-signed, and I'm not sold on both Livings and Mathis as starters. Maybe Luigs or Shirley or Santucci will show something, but I see this as a big need.

3. Safety -- who knows if Roy Williams has a chronic problem with the forearm, and he's not getting any younger, and Crocker, whom I really like, is the only other proven player. Ndukwe has played well overall, and is very solid vs. the run, but is a liability in coverage. And Nelson, who has looked pretty good in a very limited role, is still a question mark. Hebert can't cover, period, though he's an excellent ST player.

4. TE - I loved what Reggie Kelly brought, but given his injury, age, and contract status, not sure what happens there. Thy need a blocker at that position, given the running game focus -- and not sure about Coats or Foschi, and Coffman will take time to develop in that phase.

5. LB depth - as Dhani is not a pup (although he's playing well), sooner rather than later I see Rey going inside. And while I like Hodge as a ST'er, they need depth beyond Brandon Johnson, especially fast guys who can cover. Really, after the top 4, you don't have a lot, IMO.

6. FB - not sure what they have w/Fui, and Jeremi has had a pretty good year, but his weight issues don't make him the most reliable guy.

7. CB depth - hopefully, J-Joe and Hall are around for a long time, and Trent has had some good moments. Jones needs another off-season to recover fully IMO, so he's a wildcard. I thought he was decent last year as the 3rd CB, but you can never have enough of these guys.

8. RB - Not sure what happens to Larry Johnson after the year's out, and while I think Scott can be a great backup, he's injury-prone and I don't like Leonard as a runner much (as a receiver - yes). They need a guy to spell Benson, IMO, and if it's just Scott, I don't think that's enough. Maybe James Johnson is another answer there - he runs hard.

9. QB - they need a better backup. I think O'Sullivan is barely adequate, and IMO Jordan Palmer isn't even that (although they said he'd really improved, I think that's relative to last year, when he was really bad).

10. PK - not sure what'll happen with Shayne, so this could be an obvious need. That said, there are always guys out there on the street (most not good, of course), so the draft isn't always the best option.

[quote name='texbengal' date='19 December 2009 - 05:32 AM' timestamp='1261215153' post='844693']
Even though they're 9-4, the Bengals have a lot of needs:

1. WR - given that Coles has done little, Chad is getting older, Chris RIP, and Simpson has shown nothing to this point, this is a primary need - a WR who can stretch the field. Additionally, not sure what you'll get from Purify as a WR... although I think Quan can help you in the slot. Not sure why Caldwell seems to be the designee there, because I see him more on the outside.

2. G - Bobbie is getting older and may not be re-signed, and I'm not sold on both Livings and Mathis as starters. Maybe Luigs or Shirley or Santucci will show something, but I see this as a big need.

3. Safety -- who knows if Roy Williams has a chronic problem with the forearm, and he's not getting any younger, and Crocker, whom I really like, is the only other proven player. Ndukwe has played well overall, and is very solid vs. the run, but is a liability in coverage. And Nelson, who has looked pretty good in a very limited role, is still a question mark. Hebert can't cover, period, though he's an excellent ST player.

4. TE - I loved what Reggie Kelly brought, but given his injury, age, and contract status, not sure what happens there. Thy need a blocker at that position, given the running game focus -- and not sure about Coats or Foschi, and Coffman will take time to develop in that phase.

5. LB depth - as Dhani is not a pup (although he's playing well), sooner rather than later I see Rey going inside. And while I like Hodge as a ST'er, they need depth beyond Brandon Johnson, especially fast guys who can cover. Really, after the top 4, you don't have a lot, IMO.

6. FB - not sure what they have w/Fui, and Jeremi has had a pretty good year, but his weight issues don't make him the most reliable guy.

7. CB depth - hopefully, J-Joe and Hall are around for a long time, and Trent has had some good moments. Jones needs another off-season to recover fully IMO, so he's a wildcard. I thought he was decent last year as the 3rd CB, but you can never have enough of these guys.

8. RB - Not sure what happens to Larry Johnson after the year's out, and while I think Scott can be a great backup, he's injury-prone and I don't like Leonard as a runner much (as a receiver - yes). They need a guy to spell Benson, IMO, and if it's just Scott, I don't think that's enough. Maybe James Johnson is another answer there - he runs hard.

9. QB - they need a better backup. I think O'Sullivan is barely adequate, and IMO Jordan Palmer isn't even that (although they said he'd really improved, I think that's relative to last year, when he was really bad).

10. PK - not sure what'll happen with Shayne, so this could be an obvious need. That said, there are always guys out there on the street (most not good, of course), so the draft isn't always the best option.
[/quote]

Only thing I have a problem with is a G that high....I think round 2 should be an OLB to take Rey's spot when he moves inside.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='19 December 2009 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1261248858' post='844760']
[b]texbengal[/b], what makes you say that Scott is injury-prone? Hasn't he only had the turf toe issue that actually caused him to miss games?
[/quote]

You're right - poor choice of words on my part. I've seen him limp off in several games, but he's only missed time recently.

I guess what I was trying to say is at his weight (200) I think they need a guy with more ballast to off-load carries for Benson. Maybe Scott can add weight... and don't get me wrong, I think he's a great change of pace guy, and he's shown a few times that he can carry for 15+ and be productive when needed. But I see him more like a Felix Jones kinda guy, who can return kicks, catch passes, and run for maybe a total of 12-15 touches per game. If Ced goes down, I'd be less confident in his ability to take a pounding for an extended period of games vs. someone who's more in the 220+ range. Just MO.

I think defensive line is a big need. Peko is very good, but I haven't been overly impressed with Sims or Tank, and Tank is a free agent after this season. The entire defense went downhill with Peko out. Even if tank is resigned, I think the Hamburgler and Orien Harris (has he been cut again?) could obviously be upgraded. We don't have a penetrating type tackle and we haven't for a long time it seems. I really like Brian Price (Jr) from UCLA (43 tackles, 22.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks). He will likely grade out as a late 1st round pick and I would be thrilled with him if he is the BPA.

I could also see another end brought in. I'm pretty sure Rucker is a free agent, so if a stud is there at the end of 1 I could see us pulling the trigger. You can never have enough pass rushers. Plus the pressure on the QB has dropped dramatically since Odom went down. I reallllly like Greg Romeus from Pittsburgh (40 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, 11 hurries) and Brandon Graham from Michigan (64 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks). A defensive line of Odom, Geathers, Johnson, Fanene, Romeus/Graham would be unstoppable.

I still think that adding a big receiver, another linebacker, safety and guard are bigger needs but I won't be shocked or upset if a DT or DE is our 1st round pick.

I did really want TE Jermaine Gresham but despite throwing the ball to the tight ends a shitload this season they seem hell bent on having good blocking tight ends only. Plus we have Coffman. I can't see them rolling with Gresham and Coffman. Would be two damn good tight ends and create some mismatches big time but Coffman can't block and Gresham is average at it.

I think bengals will be sitting in the perfect spot to pluck the draft's best TE,MLB, and S propsects.

A good solid 3 down TE remains the top of the wish list. Foschi and Coats have combined for 42 catches and 398 yards, 2 TDs. There are plays to be made an upgrade to that position would be great.

Redzone production has been bad. TE has a chance to make a big impact on the offense, IMO. Of course, all depends on what they think of Coffman.

Archived