I know we all hate the Jets, but...

...does it make you feel better about the Bengals philosophy of strong defense / great running game to see a similar team make a deep run into the playoffs?

After seeing the stats that show that most of the playoff teams were strong passing teams, and that most of the strong passing teams made the playoffs, I was starting to think that maybe the Bengals were behind the times with their new strategy. Now, given the Jets success, I'm thinking that maybe the old conventional wisdom may not be out-of-date, after all.

Granted, three of the four teams remaining are strong passing teams, but at least the Jets are making a statement for the other approach. I still can't stand them, though. :D

NY is playing exactly how we should have played. Run the ball, quick passes, take a shot down field EVERY once in a while. Play tight defense... make your kicks.

They'll be close, but you'll win 'em.

They outcoached us... Bratkowski called a horrible game, IMO. When you're off throwing, you're off throwing. Benson should have got the rock 40 times that game. And then we didn't even activate Larry johnson... anyone know why?

[quote]...does it make you feel better about the Bengals philosophy of strong defense / great running game to see a similar team make a deep run into the playoffs?
[/quote]

No. The idea questioning the winning value of this style of football was wrong and stupid to begin with. Just last year they had 2 teams in the AFC Championship with the same style the prior year.

The Bengals got questioned on it because the majority of our fans are idiots when it comes to this style. The local media covering the team act like bitches because they don't generally like the owner and the coach so of course the Bengals got it wrong. They are now wasting Carson or whatever dumb shit they spout.

The booing at the KC game pretty much proves alot of Bengals fans have no idea about this type of football and have no faith in the Bengals winning with that style.

At 3-3 tie a halftime is seen as bad effort and bad football. A 21-21 tie at halftime is seen a winning effort and quality football. Strange. The standing on 3rd downs for our own offense. The lack of noises supporting the best defense this town has seen in decades. That's just dumb shit that a bandwagon fan base does.

[quote name='Tigris' date='19 January 2010 - 08:12 AM' timestamp='1263906746' post='858203']
NY is playing exactly how we should have played. Run the ball, quick passes, take a shot down field EVERY once in a while. Play tight defense... make your kicks.

They'll be close, but you'll win 'em.

They outcoached us... Bratkowski called a horrible game, IMO. When you're off throwing, you're off throwing. Benson should have got the rock 40 times that game. And then we didn't even activate Larry johnson... anyone know why?
[/quote]

Larry was out with a knee injury I believe. It was game time or at least that's when it was annouced.

[quote name='scharm' date='19 January 2010 - 08:17 AM' timestamp='1263907030' post='858206']
No. The idea questioning the winning value of this style of football was wrong and stupid to begin with. Just last year they had 2 teams in the AFC Championship with the same style the prior year.

The Bengals got questioned on it because the majority of our fans are idiots when it comes to this style. The local media covering the team act like bitches because they don't generally like the owner and the coach so of course the Bengals got it wrong. They are now wasting Carson or whatever dumb shit they spout.

The booing at the KC game pretty much proves alot of Bengals fans have no idea about this type of football and have no faith in the Bengals winning with that style.

At 3-3 tie a halftime is seen as bad effort and bad football. A 21-21 tie at halftime is seen a winning effort and quality football. Strange. The standing on 3rd downs for our own offense. The lack of noises supporting the best defense this town has seen in decades. That's just dumb shit that a bandwagon fan base does.
[/quote]

Well said... I couldn't agree more....

no.. they are mostly winning because teams are flubbering and fucking up things... like 5 missed FG's in two games by top ranked kickers, and our defense giving up two HUGE plays for scores.. or like Gates dropping several easy passes... things that dont normally occur and arent the doing of anything the jets did..

they pranced into the playoffs with team laying down and have lucked their way to the AFC champ game..

their oline is better than ours tho.. id trade them that straight up..

and the sanchez suck a thon over his 6 yard slant passes like he is joe fucking montana makes me want to kill myself...

"the ACCURACY is such a young qb is amazing, he has really matured and become a leader of this team" whut?!?!

and he threw like a 7 yrd td pass and pranced around like he just won the world series and superbowl combined...

like even HE was surprised it wasnt an interception..

[quote name='GoBengals' date='19 January 2010 - 06:00 AM' timestamp='1263909634' post='858223']
no.. they are mostly winning because teams are flubbering and fucking up things... like 5 missed FG's in two games by top ranked kickers, and our defense giving up two HUGE plays for scores.. or like Gates dropping several easy passes... things that dont normally occur and arent the doing of anything the jets did..

they pranced into the playoffs with team laying down and have lucked their way to the AFC champ game..

[b]and the sanchez suck a thon over his 6 yard slant passes like he is joe fucking montana makes me want to kill myself...[/b]

"the ACCURACY is such a young qb is amazing, he has really matured and become a leader of this team" whut?!?!

and he threw like a 7 yrd td pass and pranced around like he just won the world series and superbowl combined...

[/quote]

Exactly. I'm getting sick of *all* the suckathons; doesn't matter who it is (Brady, Sanchez, Big Jen, Favre, etc.) but the announcers are always talking like they're the second coming of christ and Gandhi curing cancer rolled into one. The concept of objectivity is completely lost these days.
[size="5"][b]
"OH MY GOD FAVRE THROWS A 99 YARD TOUCHDOWN PASS WITH JUST HIS COCK!!!!!!!111111kafjde;fh;awhgawrhgawhr;gha;ghUHG'egvh"[/b][/size]

:suicide:

[quote name='Jason' date='19 January 2010 - 06:54 AM' timestamp='1263912863' post='858235']
My grandfather always used to say "root for the team that beat you. It's better to lose to the champion."
[/quote]

I used to think that way till Carson's knee got Kimo'd.

Now fuck everybody but us; I hope they cancel it...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='19 January 2010 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1263909634' post='858223']
I agree 1000% about the Jets..Their offensive line is maybe the best in the NFL.. They drafted Mangold(who I wished we would have drafted) and D'Brickashaw in the same draft..They also added Faneca a 8 time all pro and Damien Woody through free agency. Their D is solid and well coached we are not that far away..I reaally hope we drat Iuapati the stud guard from Iowa to play LG..and add a good wideout and we'll be fine..I have faith in Zimmer..we will be fine on defense
coached..they tackle. But

and the sanchez suck a thon over his 6 yard slant passes like he is joe fucking montana makes me want to kill myself...

[/quote]

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' date='19 January 2010 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1263914439' post='858243']
Haters can hate all they want to, [s]but a rookie coach and QB[/s] [u][b]superior defense and run game[/b][/u] have made it to the AFC Championship and are 2-0 in the playoffs, beating "superior" teams on the road. Pretty impressive no matter how much hateraid you drink.
[/quote]

rex has done well, but sanchez has done almost everything he can to lose every game he has played in since october...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='19 January 2010 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1263914808' post='858245']
rex has done well, but sanchez has done almost everything he can to lose every game he has played in since october...
[/quote]

That is why you have to give it to the coach. He has this team playing balls to the wall. They have came up with game plans that work. I understand people can't stand him and are pissed that they beat us, but they did it fair. No fluke penalties or questionable calls, just football. Rex has the swagger and so far his team has backed it up. Gotta love the going for it on 4th to ice the game. As I watched that, I wondered if Marvin would have done that.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' date='19 January 2010 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1263914439' post='858243']
Haters can hate all they want to, but a rookie coach and QB have made it to the AFC Championship and are 2-0 in the playoffs, beating "superior" teams on the road. Pretty impressive no matter how much hateraid you drink.
[/quote]
Agreed. And that rookie QB made the QB here that veryone thinks is so great look like assturds. That fat rookie coach is in the AFC championship in his first season, and we haven't even won a playoff game with all the talent we have. Spin it however you want. The praise that our team and coaches get from fans simply for being "competative" and not having a losing season is pathetic. Blah blah blah "the bengals weren't expected to be very good this year". Hello??? The Jets weren't either.

And I agree about that 4th down call. Nice, tough call by Rex. The second I saw they wee goin for it, I knew they won

I'm rooting for the Jets due to the irony of the Colts possibly getting knocked out of the playoffs by the team they laid down against. I despise Pollian and Caldwell's decision to pull their starters midgame and tank it. Resting the injured guys was fine, resting the healthy ones to avoid injury shows a lack of integrity. As Herm Edwards says "You play to win the game"!

[quote name='sparky151' date='19 January 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1263928675' post='858307']
I'm rooting for the Jets due to the irony of the Colts possibly getting knocked out of the playoffs by the team they laid down against. I despise Pollian and Caldwell's decision to pull their starters midgame and tank it. Resting the injured guys was fine, resting the healthy ones to avoid injury shows a lack of integrity. As Herm Edwards says "You play to win the game"!
[/quote]

Your post is kind of ironic assuming you were rooting for the bengals to beat the jets...because we pretty much did the same thing they did.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='19 January 2010 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1263928765' post='858308']
Your post is kind of ironic assuming you were rooting for the bengals to beat the jets...because we pretty much did the same thing they did.
[/quote]

Yeah, I wasn't surprised we lost both games. It's hard to turn things on and off instantly in the NFL. Tanking it so bad week 17 gave them a lot of confidence vs us in the wildcard game.

Does anyone actually think Caldwell does any decision-making? It appears to be Pollian behind the scenes, and Manning on the field.

I can't be the only one who thinks this. Caldwell just stands there during games. Pure figurehead in my opinion.

Archived