Cam Newton is a beast

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290018568' post='942344']
Everything I have read about Can Newton would make me stay FAR FAR away from him. Even with Randy Moss' play over the years, has he done anything more than be a complete POS on everyteam he has been on? If Vince Young has has so many problems(QB wise), and Young seems like a class act, why would anyone expect Newton to be better given all the smoke surrounding him?
[/quote]

VY isn't a class act. Newton is bigger, stronger, faster, and he is probably smarter.

However, Vincent Young was the best college football player I ever saw with my own eyes. I still can't believe he is struggling in the NFL. But from all accounts, this Newton fellow is being slurped pretty hard by everyone. I may have to check him out.

I won't discount him just yet.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1290019146' post='942346']
VY isn't a class act. Newton is bigger, stronger, faster, and he is probably smarter.

However, Vincent Young was the best college football player I ever saw with my own eyes. I still can't believe he is struggling in the NFL. But from all accounts, this Newton fellow is being slurped pretty hard by everyone. I may have to check him out.

I won't discount him just yet.
[/quote]

Have you been reading about all of the cheating allegations against Newton? This guy sounds like the classic pampered High School superstar that somehow passed his courses and graduated. Now he is alleged to have been cheating in college to pass courses. Come on, this is classic Maurice Clarrett did what?

If Cam Newton is available in Rd 1........I'd take him. People mature in life you know. He's no JaMarcus Russell...who still doesn't think it requires effort to succeed in the NFL. Newton works his ass off. He's in great shape. He's got all the physical ability you can ask for in a football player and more specifically, a QB.

And how the hell do you people know exactly how smart he is? You don't.....so what are you basing your opinion of his intelligence on? Race?

The things he's being accused of right now are the "norm" with most major college programs/star players. Seems he just pissed the wrong person off and is in the situation he is in as a result.

All that said, I still don't think Carson's the problem. The offense they're trying to run with the current personnel is the problem. Square pegs in round holes or something like that.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290029303' post='942382']
Have you been reading about all of the cheating allegations against Newton? This guy sounds like the classic pampered High School superstar that somehow passed his courses and graduated. Now he is alleged to have been cheating in college to pass courses. Come on, this is classic Maurice Clarrett did what?
[/quote]

Wake me up when he rapes a girl in the bathroom or stabs two dudes at the Super Bowl.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1290030668' post='942385']
And how the hell do you people know exactly how smart he is? You don't.....so what are you basing your opinion of his intelligence on? Race?

The things he's being accused of right now are the "norm" with most major college programs/star players. Seems he just pissed the wrong person off and is in the situation he is in as a result.
[/quote]
So you are saying that most star players get accused of cheating and taking money from agents? Nah, I don't think so, at least not the SMART ones.

Way too much smoke around this guy.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290031936' post='942388']
So you are saying that most star players get accused of cheating and taking money from agents? Nah, I don't think so, at least not the SMART ones.

[/quote]

All star players do exactly what Cam Newton's doing right now.....it's the culture they have been brought up on as football players/stars. It just so happens that his story has become public. He probably pissed off the wrong person.

Time will tell I guess..........we can sit here and discuss the pros/cons all day but it won't change a damn thing. We'll see how he turns out as a pro in a few years.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290031936' post='942388']

[/quote]
Don't forget burglary

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1290030668' post='942385']
[/quote]

That's racist to assume that we assume he is dumb cause of race.
:Harassment_emoticon:

It took Drew Brees 4 years to become a good NFL QB and he is VERY intelligent. San Diego drafted his replacement remember? He was pretty marginal his first three years.

Vince Young had a very rough first 3 years in the NFL and I still haven't bought into him being very good. Remember when the guy got benched for a season and cried?

Jamarcus Russell was a great spread offense QB in college. He couldn't read a defense period. I don't think he can actually read.

Colt McCoy has played 4 games and plays for Cleveland. Texas wasn't a spread offense was it? Couch started off pretty good too.

Did someone actually mention Troy Smith as an exception to the rule? They run the spread at OSU? Better yet is Troy Smith good? He has started how many games?

Kyle Orton sucked in Chicago, better in Denver but again 3 years of sucktitude before he became a passable QB.

Everything I have read about Can Newton would make me stay FAR FAR away from him. Even with Randy Moss' play over the years, has he done anything more than be a complete POS on everyteam he has been on? If Vince Young has has so many problems(QB wise), and Young seems like a class act, why would anyone expect Newton to be better given all the smoke surrounding him?
[/quote]

Have you even seen a Buckeyes or 49ers game recently? The Buckeyes do run a lot of spread now and have for both Troy Smith and Pryor. And Troy Smith has been a stud in the two games he has started so far. And if you remember he was supposed to be the starter for the Ravens before he got appendicitis before the regular season started and Flacco was ushered in. Put down your haterade.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1290033854' post='942397']
Have you even seen a Buckeyes or 49ers game recently? The Buckeyes do run a lot of spread now and have for both Troy Smith and Pryor. And Troy Smith has been a stud in the two games he has started so far. And if you remember he was supposed to be the starter for the Ravens before he got appendicitis before the regular season started and Flacco was ushered in. Put down your haterade.
[/quote]
I don't hate Troy Smith but he has less than 200 pass attempts in his entire career. He has played in 2 games this season. Lets wait a few pro bowls before he is a benchmark of any type. I hope he does well. The SF offense is ranked like 30th to boot so I just don't see that as a good example.

[quote name='bengalbutch' timestamp='1290035277' post='942401']
Cam Newton is carrying the Auburn team on his back. They don't have a lot of talent around him. I have no idea, but I'd guess he will be a fantastic pro qb
[/quote]
You may be right but all I remember was what an unbelieveable can't miss superstar stud everyone (including me) thought Vince Young would be. He has not been that.

Vick was similar but in his defense he was pretty good before he had his little run in with the law. Playing great right now for a good coach and organization.

One big problem is Newton will end up on a talentless dogshit team and be expected to do WAY TOO much just like Vick.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290038554' post='942421']
You may be right but all I remember was what an unbelieveable can't miss superstar stud everyone (including me) thought Vince Young would be. He has not been that.

Vick was similar but in his defense he was pretty good before he had his little run in with the law. Playing great right now for a good coach and organization.

One big problem is Newton will end up on a talentless dogshit team and be expected to do WAY TOO much just like Vick.
[/quote]

I really did not think that at all....

I think Cam Newton passes better right now in college than VY ever did....

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290038554' post='942421']

[/quote]

VY's arm never looked that great at Texas. Strong but inaccurate if there was solid coverage. I see Cam Newton fire lasers on the money between defenders much more often than I ever saw from VY. I think Cam has a lot better arm than people give him credit for.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1290008920' post='942299']
Many of the top programs in college football are switching to more of a spread type of attack. So a lot of the better young QBs in the league are coming from spread systems. Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy are 2 rookies that are showing well after coming from wide open spread offenses in college. [b]Troy Smith[/b] has looked good in a limited sample size so far this season also. Kyle Orton and Drew Brees were both spread QBs at Purdue if you are looking for a little more established guys.

I really believe that we are going to see more and more athletic QBs in the NFL after seeing the success of guys like Vick.
[/quote]

troy smith did not run a spread offense at OSU you know sweater vest was his college coach right?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290008502' post='942297']
Newton has a stronger arm, but Pryor is the better passer, and Pryor isn't a great passer.

The difference between the two is Pryor is pass first, run second, and Newton is run first, pass second.

too many needs to take a first round running back right now. Besides, it won't matter if they don't fix the run blocking.
[/quote]

Dude, have you watched Newton play? He is 10X the passer then Pryor. Pryor is very indecisive and looks like he is trying to push the ball like a shot put. Newton actually makes good reads and he can make all the throws. I think he will be a good NFL QB. He would actually be able to avoid a sack on occasion. I think he will end up being a more mobile version on Big Ben.

Newton is going to struggle once he gets to the NFL. He has a lot to learn about running an offense before he will be successful. He is not responsible for reading the defense and making adjustments before the play. He relies on the sideline to do that. If you dont know how to read a defense you will fail in the NFL. The most successful QB in the pros are pocket passers. Newton is not built to be a pocket passer. Sure he makes good throws in college but that has a lot to do with teams putting eight guys in the box to stop the run making the secondary play man to man. Easy to read man to man and make the right throw. His running style will not work in the NFL. Defenses in the NFL are to fast and to big. He has the athletic ability to be good but it is going to take a lot of work. Plus as some others have said I am not sure he is the smartest guy out there. When you get caught for cheating three times, stealing, and taking money from agents that does not look very good.

It took Drew Brees 4 years to become a good NFL QB and he is VERY intelligent. San Diego drafted his replacement remember? He was pretty marginal his first three years.

Vince Young had a very rough first 3 years in the NFL and I still haven't bought into him being very good. Remember when the guy got benched for a season and cried?

Jamarcus Russell was a great spread offense QB in college. He couldn't read a defense period. I don't think he can actually read.

Colt McCoy has played 4 games and plays for Cleveland. Texas wasn't a spread offense was it? Couch started off pretty good too.

Did someone actually mention Troy Smith as an exception to the rule? They run the spread at OSU? Better yet is Troy Smith good? He has started how many games?

Kyle Orton sucked in Chicago, better in Denver but again 3 years of sucktitude before he became a passable QB.

[/quote]
You can also add to that list Chase Daniel, Grahm Harrell, Colt Brennan, Pat White, Tim Tebow, Alex Smith, Jason White, Andre Ware, Tim Couch, Akli Smith, Danny Wuerffel, Joey Harrington all ran some form of the spread offense and struggled or failed in the NFL.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1290059609' post='942479']
You can also add to that list Chase Daniel, [b]Grahm Harrell[/b], Colt Brennan, Pat White, Tim Tebow, Alex Smith, Jason White, Andre Ware, Tim Couch, Akli Smith, Danny Wuerffel, Joey Harrington all ran some form of the spread offense and struggled or failed in the NFL.
[/quote]

How dare you. :hunter: :hunter:

PS I can name a shit ton of "non spread" failure QB's too. Probly 1000000 from Notre Dame alone.

Archived