Fairley's draft status is dropping

[size="5"][b]Fairley's draft status is dropping[/b]
[/size]Posted on: March 6, 2011 5:24 pm

[i]Posted by Rob Rang[/i]

Much of the attention following the Combine has been centered on the team interviews with quarterbacks Cam Newton, Ryan Mallett and others, but according to three sources from different clubs, it is another high profile player who set off the most alarms at the Combine.

Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley was described as a "JUCO kid to the core" by one longtime personnel man, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

By "JUCO" the source is, of course, referring to the fact that Fairley played junior college football (Copiah-Lincoln Community College) prior to starring at Auburn. Asked to elaborate why being a "JUCO kid" is a bad thing, the source explained.

"Just because a player went to a junior college doesn't mean, he's a bad guy or won't be successful at this level, obviously. There are lots of junior college players who have gone on to great NFL careers."

The stereotype is that JUCO players aren't as smart, hard-working, and well coached. They are also viewed by many clubs as players most likely to have had off-field troubles in the past and potentially more in the future. The source refused to go into specifics, but said, "Everyone is coming down hard on the quarterback, but [Fairley] is the one to worry about."

Despite measuring in at a shade under 6-4 and lighter than expected (291 pounds), Fairley "looked soft," according to the source. This first impression of Fairley's conditioning was only reinforced by his "limited" understanding of defensive schemes during team interviews. The source also referred to the fact that Fairley doesn't use his hands well and has been able to be successful largely due to his natural talent.

"Oh, I'm not saying he's not talented. Hell, he might be the most talented player in the whole damn thing. But, he's no slam dunk at this level. Not the slam dunk people who watched him tear up the SEC or in the big game [BCS National Championship] might think."

The other sources weren't as forthcoming with details, but didn't sound surprised when I told them I heard that Fairley was slipping down boards and that, as such, I had pushed him from No. 2 in the mock draft I'd written prior to the Combine [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfldraftscout-RobRang"][color="#3b5998"]to No. 8 in my current one.[/color][/url]

[url="http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27782334"]http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27782334[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1299461264' post='975468']
[size="5"][b]Fairley's draft status is dropping[/b]
[/size]Posted on: March 6, 2011 5:24 pm

[i]Posted by Rob Rang[/i]

Much of the attention following the Combine has been centered on the team interviews with quarterbacks Cam Newton, Ryan Mallett and others, but according to three sources from different clubs, it is another high profile player who set off the most alarms at the Combine.

Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley was described as a "JUCO kid to the core" by one longtime personnel man, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

By "JUCO" the source is, of course, referring to the fact that Fairley played junior college football (Copiah-Lincoln Community College) prior to starring at Auburn. Asked to elaborate why being a "JUCO kid" is a bad thing, the source explained.

"Just because a player went to a junior college doesn't mean, he's a bad guy or won't be successful at this level, obviously. There are lots of junior college players who have gone on to great NFL careers."

The stereotype is that JUCO players aren't as smart, hard-working, and well coached. They are also viewed by many clubs as players most likely to have had off-field troubles in the past and potentially more in the future. The source refused to go into specifics, but said, "Everyone is coming down hard on the quarterback, but [Fairley] is the one to worry about."

Despite measuring in at a shade under 6-4 and lighter than expected (291 pounds), Fairley "looked soft," according to the source. This first impression of Fairley's conditioning was only reinforced by his "limited" understanding of defensive schemes during team interviews. The source also referred to the fact that Fairley doesn't use his hands well and has been able to be successful largely due to his natural talent.

"Oh, I'm not saying he's not talented. Hell, he might be the most talented player in the whole damn thing. But, he's no slam dunk at this level. Not the slam dunk people who watched him tear up the SEC or in the big game [BCS National Championship] might think."

The other sources weren't as forthcoming with details, but didn't sound surprised when I told them I heard that Fairley was slipping down boards and that, as such, I had pushed him from No. 2 in the mock draft I'd written prior to the Combine [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfldraftscout-RobRang"][color="#3b5998"]to No. 8 in my current one.[/color][/url]

[url="http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27782334"]http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27782334[/url]
[/quote]

well, mr rang i'd only have this to say. anyone who'd drop the top defensive player in this draft to the #8 position, then interject cam newton as the #1 pick, should probably change his line of work. you're slipping, rob.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1299471207' post='975472']
well, mr rang i'd only have this to say. anyone who'd drop the top defensive player in this draft to the #8 position, then interject cam newton as the #1 pick, should probably change his line of work. you're slipping, rob.
[/quote]

stock-drop propaganda

I always thought Fairley could be in better shape. Just looking at his arms you can tell he isn't balls to the wall about working out. Nonetheless, he still raped people and used his hands extremely well. The author has a point, but I disagree with that tidbit.

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1299473468' post='975474']
stock-drop propaganda
[/quote]

that's what I was thinking.

You always hear things about multiple players this time of the year. Most of it is BS and smokescreen.

Most teams have the top of their boards well set by now for the most part. Now they're just sending out mis-information.

yeah, this is the same BS that happened with Andre Smith. National Media and scouts tried to talk him down pointing to lack of work ethic and personality issues. Good thing we didn't fall for that crap.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1299514169' post='975503']
yeah, this is the same BS that happened with Andre Smith. National Media and scouts tried to talk him down pointing to lack of work ethic and personality issues. Good thing we didn't fall for that crap.
[/quote]

Eh, Chad Johnson is a better example. He was an actual JUCO player unlike Andre Smith. Johnson slipped mostly for that reason and the rest is history. Chad had shown enough to be taken in the top half of the first round but JUCO stuff scared people away.

Corey Dillon is another JUCO player that dropped because of childhood issues that were factors of him having to go to JC.

Andre Smith example doesn't fit.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1299515779' post='975506']
Eh, Chad Johnson is a better example. He was an actual JUCO player unlike Andre Smith. Johnson slipped mostly for that reason and the rest is history. Chad had shown enough to be taken in the top half of the first round but JUCO stuff scared people away.

Corey Dillon is another JUCO player that dropped because of childhood issues that were factors of him having to go to JC.

[/quote]

I believe that was sarcasm, the intention of which was to make an entirely different point.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1299516459' post='975510']
I believe that was sarcasm, the intention of which was to make an entirely different point.
[/quote]

Either way. There are players the Bengals have hit on and missed with Red Flags.

The two guys that first come to mind when you mention JUCO happen to be the Franchise best at their position.

[/quote]

in this example rang knocks on fairley for being a juco player, while moving cam newton to the top of his board....another juco player. i'd call that being inconsistent.

[/quote]

Don't see this as encouragement, but I do enjoy your humor sometimes.

[/quote]

No, you are right, he did not go to a junior college, but all the same warning signs that are being discussed with Nick fairley were there with Andre smith and......THEY WERE IGNORED! Am i surprised? Hell no. They are going to do it again in this draft when Fairley does slip. Also Corey Dillon and Chad JOHNSON may be the two best at their position in franchise history, but they are also the two biggest malcontents in this franchise's history. Not saying they were totally wrong, but its something to keep in mind.

[/quote]

The scouts should have mentioned his bad feet.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1299542231' post='975617']
I do believe conditioning may be a red flag with him, he did not lift, maybe because he knew that would probably drop him in the draft.
[/quote]
I bet he could only do 18-20 reps. A "top-rated" DT should be doing more and he/his agent know it, thus him not participating.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1299542231' post='975617']
I do believe conditioning may be a red flag with him, he did not lift, maybe because he knew that would probably drop him in the draft.
[/quote]

i heard he had a nagging shoulder injury, probably the same one we saw him fighting thru in the NC game. the bench press testing is becoming farce anyway. there's been WAY too much stock placed on this drill in the recent past. it's a good test to show average/adequate strength, but the big lifters that the masses get all excited about on an annual basis, haven't amounted to much of late.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1299543665' post='975627']
i heard he had a nagging shoulder injury, probably the same one we saw him fighting thru in the NC game. the bench press testing is becoming farce anyway. there's been WAY too much stock placed on this drill in the recent past. it's a good test to show average/adequate strength, but the big lifters that the masses get all excited about on an annual basis, haven't amounted to much of late.
[/quote]

how did they choose to lift only 225lbs? I think it would be more useful if they used variable weights depending on the position group.

Personally for oline and dline, I want to know how well they push around 300lbs.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1299543999' post='975628']
how did they choose to lift only 225lbs? I think it would be more useful if they used variable weights depending on the position group.

Personally for oline and dline, I want to know how well they push around 300lbs.
[/quote]

i wonder if that isn't a basic workout weight that teams have traditionally used (just guessing). the only thing with using higher weights is, you'd likely be more prone to injury.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1299544867' post='975632']
one year wonder cheap shot artist...

its pretty disturbing people want to draft this guy 4th overall..
[/quote]

And he's only 291 lbs (not very stout)and hasn't shown much strength or good technique. Just quickness. Suh had strength, quickness, and technique.

one year wonder cheap shot artist...

[/quote]

you sound like a little girl with that continual "cheap shot" whining. so the guy plays until the whistle, big shit. it's not flag football, so get over it. fairley played the game the way he was taught to play it by his college coach, tracy rocker...a former lombardi and outland award winner himself, not to mention he made the NFL all rookie team. i'd suggest he knows a bit more about the game than you.... especially considering the work he did with failey this year. he must have, since he got offered a DL coaching job with the titans, who perennially post some of the best defensive lines in the NFL.

the only reason fairley roughed up quarterbacks is because teams couldn't block the SOB. he faced double teams all year, even triple teams at times, and teams still couldn't keep him from making an influence every game. you are concentrating on all the wrong things.

would you discount every player that came from a juco program, just because they are one year wonders? if you did, you'd unwisely miss out on a helluva lot of potential NFL players, both past and present. one year is clearly enough body of work to judge them by, IF they played consistently throughout the year against good competition. of course you have to be willing to spend the time to watch that boring thing you call "college football" to attempt to do so.

one year wonder [b]cheap shot artist[/b]...

[/quote]

As long as he's doing it to Ben 2 games a year, I don't care.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1299546567' post='975641']
you sound like a little girl with that continual "cheap shot" whining. so the guy plays until the whistle, big shit. it's not flag football, so get over it. fairley played the game the way he was taught to play it by his college coach, tracy rocker...a former lombardi and outland award winner himself, not to mention he made the NFL all rookie team. i'd suggest he knows a bit more about the game than you.... especially considering the work he did with failey this year. he must have, since he got offered a DL coaching job with the titans, who perennially post some of the best defensive lines in the NFL.

the only reason fairley roughed up quarterbacks is because teams couldn't block the SOB. he faced double teams all year, even triple teams at times, and teams still couldn't keep him from making an influence every game. you are concentrating on all the wrong things.

would you discount every player that came from a juco program, just because they are one year wonders? if you did, you'd unwisely miss out on a helluva lot of potential NFL players, both past and present. one year is clearly enough body of work to judge them by, IF they played consistently throughout the year against good competition. of course you have to be willing to spend the time to watch that boring thing you call "college football" to attempt to do so.
[/quote]
Agreed.

Any player at 4 is going to have some warts. Luckily Fairley's warts aren't off the field, unlike Green, and Darius. Green has some Chad Ocho in him that I think would be an unhealthy distraction. Darius has had off field issues in the past and I'm not comfortable with the team drafting this kind of player at no.4. Also, Fairley posseses some x-factor in him in that he's an extra nasty SOB and is the Ray Lewis/Warren Sapp type leader the Bengals have been waiting around for far too long. He would come in and immediately ignite the defense and give it an emotional lift. Technique can be taught so I'm not worried there either. After all, when Peko was drafted, he was raw technically but still provided the impact in his first year that the Bengals sorely needed.

Archived