Simpson: 'Blame it on me'

[b]DENVER[/b] – Jerome Simpson sat with his head down facing his locker while fidgeting with his phone.

While most of his Bengals teammates long had taken off their uniforms, the wide receiver continued to sit in full pads, only having removed his helmet.

Yes Simpson had helped the Bengals in the third quarter Sunday against Denver on a nifty 31-yard catch that led to a touchdown. Yes he had caught a spectacular 84-yard ball over the middle early in the fourth quarter that looked as if it might turn the game around for Cincinnati.

But what Simpson mostly was thinking about was a dropped pass with 6:49 left in the game at the Denver 26 that could have put the Bengals in position for a go-ahead field goal. The Bengals trailed 24-22 at the time and that the score they would end up losing by at Sports Authority Field.

“I’m a receiver and I can catch the ball, Simpson said. “I’m supposed to make those plays. That’s my fault. I really can’t explain it. I dropped it and it was a big point in the game. I take the blame.

“Blame it on me.”

Simpson caught four passes for a career-high 136 yards, marking the third time in his past four regular-season games he has exceeded 120 yards.

But once again a big game was marred. Simpson caught 12 passes for 123 yards in a 13-7 loss at Baltimore in the 2010 season finale but had two fumbles.

“It wasn’t enough,” Simpson, who also had another dropped pass, said of his performance Sunday. “We didn’t get the win. I got to try harder. I’ve got to catch all the passes thrown my way.”

Trailing 24-22, the Bengals faced third-and-8 at the Broncos 39 with 6:54 left when quarterback Andy Dalton threw to a wide open Simpson at the 26.

But he lost control of the pass.

The Bengals did get the ball back two more times with a chance to win. But Dalton threw an incompletion on fourth-and-1 at the Denver 35 with 3:09 left. And the Bengals got to the Broncos 48 in the final minute before losing nine yards on four plays.

“He’s going to make big plays for us this year,” Dalton said of Simpson. “You saw what he’s able to do. Nobody’s perfect. Everybody’s going to have a drop. Everybody’s going to make a mistake. But he played pretty good.”

Without Simpson the Bengals might not have been in a position to win after trailing 17-3 early in the third quarter. Simpson’s 31-yard catch over the middle to the Broncos 32 helped set up a 10-yard touchdown pass from Dalton to Andre Caldwell to cut the deficit to 17-12 with 3:41 left in the third.

The Bengals had a chance to get within a field goal. But Dalton’s two-point conversation attempt to Simpson on the left side was broken up.

“We had one-on-one (coverage),” Dalton said “We didn’t make the play. I probably could have thrown the ball a little better.”

The Bengals looked doomed when trailing 24-15 with 12:53 left in the game and facing second-and-23 at their 7. But Dalton threw down the middle to the Bengals 35 to Simpson, who streaked toward the goal line before finally being hauled down at the Broncos 9 for an 84-yard gain.

“Andy threw a strike and I caught it and split the middle of the defense and ran,” Simpson said of the play which led to a 5-yard touchdown pass from Dalton to A.J. Green that cut the deficit to 24-22 with 11:23 left. “I did what I was supposed to do to try to score.”

Simpson, though, was upset he didn’t do what he was supposed to do on the key drop. But Simpson said many teammates approached him afterward to offer encouragement.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110918/SPT02/309180056/Simpson-Blame-me-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110918/SPT02/309180056/Simpson-Blame-me-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text[/url]|

Bigger issue on that one was probably line play, Dalton was rushed and I think it affected that throw. But a play has to be made.

I think in the future it will be...either Dalton makes a better throw or Simpson makes that catch. And maybe the rush gets picked up better leading to those two things.

Such a frustrating 4th...they were so close several times and just couldn't quite get the last five yards they needed.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1316439905' post='1033660']
Bigger issue on that one was probably line play, Dalton was rushed and I think it affected that throw. But a play has to be made.

I think in the future it will be...either Dalton makes a better throw or Simpson makes that catch. And maybe the rush gets picked up better leading to those two things.

Such a frustrating 4th...they were so close several times and just couldn't quite get the last five yards they needed.
[/quote]

I loved the way Jerome was untackleable after a catch. But yes, he needed to make that catch. The throw was on the money.

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' timestamp='1316434960' post='1033617']
Least he cares. Some of these past recievers couldn't say the same thing.
[/quote]

Dude are you new to this team or what? Ochocinco, not Chad Johnson, but Ochocinco was blaming himself for the sluggish offense LAST SEASON. WTF are you talking about?

Anyway, I'd rather have dudes just move on than talk about dropped passes. It happens. Get over it, move to the next play.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316468033' post='1033902']

Dude are you new to this team or what? Ochocinco, not Chad Johnson, but Ochocinco was blaming himself for the sluggish offense LAST SEASON. WTF are you talking about?

Anyway, I'd rather have dudes just move on than talk about dropped passes. It happens. Get over it, move to the next play.
[/quote]

Chad wasn't exactly sincere about it

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1316477950' post='1033950']

Chad wasn't exactly sincere about it
[/quote]

Such a BS thing to say. Well maybe Simpson wasn't either. Or maybe they were both sincere. Anything to put down Bengals past legends, right?

I believe them both FWIW. I just don't like it. Move on fellas, get to the next play, don't worry about the failures. Chad let them get to him too much, I don't want that to happen to Simpson. Dwelling on mistakes is stupid.

[quote name='8675309' timestamp='1316477771' post='1033947']
This time last season nearly everyone on this board, including myself, wanted Simpson gone. There were a few that didn't feel that way, but the majority were fed up with him and his wasted roster spot. What a difference a year makes.
[/quote]
Rome did waste a roster spot most of the year. That is a fact. Not his decision to not be used for 3years. He is Finally playing in his 4th year which makes little sense for a second round pick. Again I don't blame Rome.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1316446512' post='1033709']
I aint gonna lie, I'm loving this team. Young and has a big fucking heart!
[/quote]

Yes!!! I haven't been more excited about a Bengals team in a long time. These guys got their motors running full steam all game and never give up. Even though they lost it was still encouraging to see and leaves me thinking that things are going to get much better. As long as everyone stays out of jail this year!!!

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1316458643' post='1033834']
Sorry Rome, can't blame you. That was on the 3rd and 4th and short play calling. Players did enough to win that one. I blame Crocker way more for his downfield block of Clements than you.
[/quote]

Agree with this. The best block I saw for the Broncos yesterday was thrown by Crocker.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316480909' post='1033971']

Such a BS thing to say. Well maybe Simpson wasn't either. Or maybe they were both sincere. Anything to put down Bengals past legends, right?

I believe them both FWIW. I just don't like it. Move on fellas, get to the next play, don't worry about the failures. Chad let them get to him too much, I don't want that to happen to Simpson. Dwelling on mistakes is stupid.
[/quote]

Looks like you and I are a rare breed around here. 2 people that respect 85 for the great things he did for this team and basically turn the other cheek on some of the not so pleasant things. Face it, for the haters, when Chad said it was his fault they took it as him being "ME ME ME" like he thought he could have saved the day on his own. Let it roll off your back, brother. Haters are gonna hate.

At this point in time, I'm coming to realize that trading him was probably the right thing to do. One more year of his....personality, wouldn't have been good for the team. But I'm not gonna hate on him one bit for who he is. He gave us some exciting fucking football to watch. God bless him and good luck in New England.
MULLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvnSvc7KPcI

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1316604195' post='1034398']

Looks like you and I are a rare breed around here. 2 people that respect 85 for the great things he did for this team and basically turn the other cheek on some of the not so pleasant things. Face it, for the haters, when Chad said it was his fault they took it as him being "ME ME ME" like he thought he could have saved the day on his own. Let it roll off your back, brother. Haters are gonna hate.

At this point in time, I'm coming to realize that trading him was probably the right thing to do. One more year of his....personality, wouldn't have been good for the team. But I'm not gonna hate on him one bit for who he is. He gave us some exciting fucking football to watch. God bless him and good luck in New England.
MULLY

[/quote]

I'm on your side of the fence too. Loved what 85 did for the Bengals, also okay with him moving on even if it was a year or two late.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316480909' post='1033971']

[/quote]

You don't remember Chad and TO joking back and forth about how it was their fault? Chad's quotes were basically saying he was going to be blamed anyway by the fans/media, so he'd just put it on himself.

Archived