Manager: Bengals' Rey Maualuga involved in bar fight (Case Goes To Mediation)

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1328882211' post='1095095']
Well that's disappointing. If true, that dude needs to stay away from the booze. Sounds like he turns into a real wang.
[/quote]

As long as he meets eligibility for the NFL, I could not give a flying fuck about a bar fight.

Is this really what the league has turned into? A player decks a bar manager and it's something we should care about?

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1328882409' post='1095098']

As long as he meets eligibility for the NFL, I could not give a flying fuck about a bar fight.

Is this really what the league has turned into? A player decks a bar manager and it's something we should care about?
[/quote]

Considering he already has a DUI on his record, this is likely to get him suspended.

So, yeah, in the current NFL you need to give a flying fuck.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1328882521' post='1095100']

Considering he already has a DUI on his record, this is likely to get him suspended.

So, yeah, in the current NFL you need to give a flying fuck.
[/quote]

I probably need to, but don't want to.

MIght as well just factor in a couple guys missing games every year.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1328882867' post='1095102']

I probably need to, but don't want to.

[b]MIght as well just factor in a couple guys missing games every year[/b].
[/quote]

If you have guys on your roster who are unreliable and immature then yes, but if you have professionals who understand their responsibilities to themselves, their franchise, and their community....then no.

Maluaga seems like a guy who's whole identity is wrapped up in being a tough guy, but he's not that tough. I'm ready to move on if this is true, he sounds like an alcoholic who doesn't want to change. He's been disappointing on the field and if he's making these types of decisions off the field then he's not worth the headache, imo.

We can get a guy like David Hawthorne, who doesn't have name but is a good MLB to come in here and lead this defense. Too much at stake to rely on a guy who can keep himself out of trouble, because if this is true and he gets arrested he will likely get a 4 game suspension, which will hurt the defense.

I would love for MB to send a message that this is a new era with the Bengals and guys who can't follow the rules and repeatedly show they can't manage being a big fish in a small pond won't be apart of the team. I say that because this stuff does affect what happens on the field, for example if this is true and Rey gets in legal trouble he will likely be suspended which means the defense will have to play about 4 games or 1/4 of the schedule without it's starting MLB, all because he can't handle his liquor and likes show how much of a tough guy he is when he gets drunk...pathetic if you think about it.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1328882409' post='1095098']

[/quote]

1. This team was all positives heading into the offseason. It matters because it should stay that way.
2. This is a second offense for someone who really shouldn't have had a first offense. These are really stupid, avoidable transgressions... Walk out of the bar.
3. He's supposed to be the quarterback of the defense.

It also ticks me off because I wanted him aggressive and confident next year, and now I fear he'll be penitent and super nice to make up for this.

I get what you're saying, but it's a different time, and there's different scrutiny. It's really dumb to hit a guy when absolutely everything inside you should scream to walk away.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1328885262' post='1095107']
Continuing with the trouble maker theme....
Don't want Michael Floyd.
Don't want FA Vincent Jackson.
[/quote]

Damn...there goes the entire draft as well. The moralists keep looking for St. Francis of Assisi in every draft choice or FA signing. The endless search.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1328888917' post='1095129']
This guy obviously needs to work some steps or go to something like an IOP treatment program.

[b]As if we needed more reasons to dump his underachieving ass to the side[/b]
[/quote]

And replace him with who, pray tell?

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1328889002' post='1095131']

[/quote]

yeah, that's the problem. hopefully we find the answer to that question in next year's draft with the kid out of notre dame. until then, we'll have to deal with rey and all his baggage. i'm anything but a moralist, but rey's one of those drunks that can't handle his alcohol, and i don't see that changing. those types never do. the guy's exhibited confidence issues, and his problems carry over to the field, where he's not that good in the 1st place.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1328889301' post='1095132']

Skuta's better than Maualuga.
[/quote]

I love his hustle too, but that's just not true. Skuta's best statistical game this year of 5 combined tackles would have been one of Rey's worst games this year (he had 3 games worse, and 1 game of 5 tackles).

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1328888921' post='1095130']

Damn...there goes the entire draft as well. The moralists keep looking for St. Francis of Assisi in every draft choice or FA signing. The endless search.
[/quote]

Just because I don't want my starting MLB to get arrested for driving drunk and hitting parked cars and alledgely punching bar managers in the face, thus getting himself suspended for multiple games and making him unreliable doesn't mean I'm a moralist who wants alter boys playing a violent sport. There is a middle ground, it's not all or nothing.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1328889002' post='1095131']

[/quote]

I got a list of guys, don't forget the Bengals have the most cap space of any team in the NFL so money shouldn't be a hinderence. Also this team has been top's in the league on defenes for the past 3 years, so it's not like they are coming into a bad situation, guys should want to come here and play if the money is right. We have great coaching on defense, Zim is respected by players and coaches as one of the best DC's in the game. Here's my list of guys who can come here and be better than Rey:

Curtis Lofton
Dan Connor
David Hawthorne
Stephen Tulloch
D'Qwell Jackson
Barrett Rudd(if the groin is ready)

All of these guys would be an upgrade and could potentially be had.

Archived