1. 1. Who will be the #2 WR

• Jerome Simpson
    • Stephen Hill
    • Kendall Wright
    • Alshon Jeffrey
    • Reuben Randle
    • Mohamed Sanu
    • Other

I think Simpson is brought back on a 1 year deal but we still draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round.

I'm assuming that Floyd will be gone. He won't make it past the Jets so I didn't include him in this poll.

Hill is extremely raw but has all the physical tools to be great. Seems like an intelligent and high character person. Great blocker and uses his size much like A.J. Green to snag deep passes.

Wright is pretty raw in his route tree as well and is undersized. I've seen him draw a lot of comparisons to Greg Jennings who is very good. Dangerous deep threat and great after the catch.

Jeffrey has the work ethic question marks but on paper looks like a stud. He dominated his Sophomore year of college. Probably the most polished route runner on the list but not much of a deep threat.

Randle is similar to Hill in many ways but not quite the athlete. He has excellent hands but isn't very physical. I see him as a 2nd round pick.

Sanu isn't a great athlete but he knows how to make plays. Very physical, excellent hands and great route runner. Definitely a possession type receiver and not a deep threat.

I say Binns.. Regardless of what happens, Simpson is going to miss some games, and I don't think he'll be able to get his job back, due to his inconsistency. I think they're high on Binns. I also like Criner coming out of UofAZ

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1333908944' post='1116767']
I say Binns.. Regardless of what happens, Simpson is going to miss some games, and I don't think he'll be able to get his job back, due to his inconsistency. I think they're high on Binns. I also like Criner coming out of UofAZ
[/quote]
x2
Also take into account his progression and if the coaches are telling the truth about him, Binns' learning curve has progressed up to the level of a mid-round wideout in this year's draft I'm guessing.

So if the team want's to draft somebody who's going to make a bigger impact than Binns from the get go, they'd have to get him in rounds 1-2 (top of 3 at latest) imo.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say marvin mcnutt. i have no idea whether we've even gone to his pro day, but his value is right where we should be considering a WR this year. i think mayock pegged it correctly earlier saying unless floyd drops, we should be considering the value offered at the WR position in the middle rounds.

so i say it's a contest between binns and the rookie mcnutt, with a resigned simpson adding quality depth, after what i expect will be a 4-game suspension. and i think with all the other weapons we have, and a new pass catching RB, that will be one helluva receiving corps.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333929948' post='1116833']

God, I hope so, I just don't see it.
[/quote]

i think the toughest choice we could have in this draft is when our #17 selection comes up decastro and floyd are both sitting there. you couldn't go wrong either way, but you'd almost have to take the more valued position in that scenario i think.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1333931344' post='1116834']

i think the toughest choice we could have in this draft is when our #17 selection comes up decastro and floyd are both sitting there. you couldn't go wrong either way, but you'd almost have to take the more valued position in that scenario i think.
[/quote]

If 17 comes up and both are there, I'd take Floyd. I think Glenn would likely be there at 21 and the drop from Floyd to the next WR is a lot bigger than the drop from DeCastro to Glenn.

[/quote]
I'd go Floyd. This draft is deep with some good guards and we have Wharton and Boiling whom both can play some ball or are expected to in the near future. As much as I'd like to see Jerome back, Floyd is an unreal talent and I think the drop-off from Floyd to the guys that are going to be there in round 2 is larger than the dropoff from DeCastro to the guys in round 2.

I think it's going to be tougher when the best cover corner is there and the best guard is there. Can't wait till JJ is in the stripes.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1333932089' post='1116838']
I'd go Floyd. This draft is deep with some good guards and we have Wharton and Boiling whom both can play some ball or are expected to in the near future. As much as I'd like to see Jerome back, Floyd is an unreal talent and I think the drop-off from Floyd to the guys that are going to be there in round 2 is larger than the dropoff from DeCastro to the guys in round 2.

I think it's going to be tougher when the best cover corner is there and the best guard is there. [b]Can't wait till JJ is in the stripes.[/b]
[/quote]

I knew as soon as I saw your avatar as the last post in this thread that you would bring up Jenkins. I really don't think the Bengals will touch him in 1.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333931823' post='1116835']

If 17 comes up and both are there, I'd take Floyd. I think Glenn would likely be there at 21 and the drop from Floyd to the next WR is a lot bigger than the drop from DeCastro to Glenn.
[/quote]

yeah, where i'm at now, and aside from an unlikely richardson falling, floyd would likely be the only guy who could make me pass on decastro. especially because, if they were both there, glenn would very likely be gone.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333932214' post='1116840']

I knew as soon as I saw your avatar as the last post in this thread that you would bring up Jenkins. I really don't think the Bengals will touch him in 1.
[/quote]
I hope they do.

Cover corners paired with Carlos Dunlap win championships.

i think the toughest choice we could have in this draft is when our #17 selection comes up decastro and floyd are both sitting there. you couldn't go wrong either way, but you'd almost have to take the more valued position in that scenario i think.[/quote]

I'd take DeCastro and argue that I think the depth at WR is better, plus I think he vs. other Gs is a big gap, whereas I don't think it's as wide with Floyd vs. some of the WRs, like Randle, Wright, etc. Not that I don't like Floyd as a player, but I'm still concerned about his off-field history as well.

I think DeCastro is a "clean" player who you could throw in there right away, and while I like the depth on OL here, Wharton is no kid, Bell is on a 1-year deal, we dont know about Hudson, and Boling, I think will be good but he may not be ready. DeCastro has a chance to be one of the best... and I don't think Floyd will be a great WR, just a good one. I take the higher rated player, and if it were me, I think that's DeCastro.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1333932936' post='1116847']
I'd take DeCastro and argue that I think the depth at WR is better, plus I think he vs. other Gs is a big gap, whereas I don't think it's as wide with Floyd vs. some of the WRs, like Randle, Wright, etc. Not that I don't like Floyd as a player, but I'm still concerned about his off-field history as well.

I think DeCastro is a "clean" player who you could throw in there right away, and while I like the depth on OL here, Wharton is no kid, Bell is on a 1-year deal, we dont know about Hudson, and Boling, I think will be good but he may not be ready. DeCastro has a chance to be one of the best... and I don't think Floyd will be a great WR, just a good one. I take the higher rated player, and if it were me, I think that's DeCastro.
[/quote]

very, very good argument. again, it would be a hard choice.

i don't have any doubt both guys could step right in after one training camp and be good starters and both be on the road to greatness. decastro is the type of player you don't see come along every year, and he fits what i think is STILL the biggest hole on this team, in spite of all the castoffs we've picked up, in spite of an over rated (IMO) 4th rounder who doesn't fit at the RG position. when your line is above average, you can do so many things in this league on offense. without one.... well, we've all witnessed all the pitfalls that occur. decastro would take our running and passing games to a different level and could be a centerpiece to build around for the next 10-12 years.

floyd would be a luxury type pick and probably over fill the question marks we have at the #2 WR position...a point that i've preached all off season, because i surely believe we can acquire go to guys that could take the pressure off AJ in the middle rounds of this draft. but on the flip side, he would surely make this offense high output, if we could ever find a way to block.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333932214' post='1116840']

[/quote]
I would agree if we only had one pick in the first round. If he is there at 17 or 21 he will be one of those picks. You simply can't pass on his talent considering our serious need for a true shut down corner. Clements is not getting any younger and Hall may not be as effective for a little while due to his layoff.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1333978367' post='1116909']
I would agree if we only had one pick in the first round. If he is there at 17 or 21 he will be one of those picks. You simply can't pass on his talent considering our serious need for a true shut down corner. Clements is not getting any younger and Hall may not be as effective for a little while due to his layoff.
[/quote]

Kirkpatrick or Gilmore should also be available. I'm not convinced he is so much better than them to be worth the risk.

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes LSU WR Rueben Randle boasts similarities to Hakeem Nicks.
Both players tip the scales at near 215 pounds, but Randle is two inches taller than Nicks at 6-foot-3. Randle posted 40 times of 4.50 and 4.56 at the Combine, while Nicks clocked in at 4.54 in 2009. Cosell calls Randle "smooth and athletic" with good acceleration off the line of scrimmage, and capable of winning isolation routes on the outside. Cosell says Randle "intrigues" him more than any other receiver in the draft. Nicks was the 29th pick three years ago, but Randle could go a little earlier. Apr 7 - 2:40 PM

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333979437' post='1116912']

Kirkpatrick or Gilmore should also be available. I'm not convinced he is so much better than them to be worth the risk.
[/quote]
I don't know about that. Jenkins is a true shut down corner. He is a great corner with great instincts and makes lots of INTs. The other 2 don't possess the same abilities or experience although both are damn fine players. I would take Gilmore over Dre K. Kirpatrick had motivational problems according to some reports coming out of Alabama. If you have to be motivated to play for Alabama, what will it take to get him motivated here or any pro team? Jenkins probably has a pretty big chip on his shoulder and my guess is he will want to prove something.

You do have a valid point about baggage though.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333929948' post='1116833']

God, I hope so, I just don't see it.
[/quote]

Your praying for Floyd to fall who is just as big a charecter risk as Jenkins, but wouldent touch Jenkins anywhere near the 1st round. WOW. Floyd has been arrested 3 times and was kicked off ND....hes lucky they brought him back. If Meyer was still coaching at Florida ...Jenkins likely would have came back to FLA but he was in the midst of a coaching change.

I just think its crazy that you have no problem taking Floyd but Jenkins is way too big of a risk. I think Floyd is actually the riskier prospect of the 2 but still would have no problem taking either in the 1st round.

Archived