!!!!!WITH THE 116TH PICK THE BENGALS SELECT TE ORSON CHARLES!!!!!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335714793' post='1127048']

even though he backed in, Gresham still had to earn himself into that first alternate spot to get in.
[/quote]

And Gresham can only make plays when they let him. Hopefully this is the first year we aren't yelling for more passes to 84...

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335714793' post='1127048']

even though he backed in, Gresham still had to earn himself into that first alternate spot to get in.
[/quote]

I didn't think he earned it much. Where would you rank him in the Top TEs of the AFC? He's not in the Top 5. I think he could've done a lot more last season in that offense.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1335715294' post='1127062']
I didn't think he earned it much. Where would you rank him in the Top TEs of the AFC? He's not in the Top 5. I think he could've done a lot more last season in that offense.
[/quote]

Ill give you Gronk as the #1, now who is your other 4 above Gresh?

Gresham made a few of the most amazing TD catches i've ever seen last year. All of his yards are short to intermediate routes that most of his YAC are from running through LB's and safety's that are on him as soon as he gets the ball.

I gave Gruden a pass last year since he was a first year coach, but we HAVE to get the ball in this guy's hands more often.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1335715294' post='1127062']
[/quote]

he can only do what they let him. If the coaches keep gresham in to block, what can he do about it?

He was 5th in the AFC in catches by a TE last year. 4th in touchdowns. And while Dustin Keller had a few more catches, I think Gresham had the better year and also had a rookie QB and rookie OC. Considering Gresham was named and alternate and Keller wasn't, someone else out there agrees.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335715602' post='1127071']

he can only do what they let him. If the coaches keep gresham in to block, what can he do about it?

He was 5th in the AFC in catches by a TE last year. 4th in touchdowns. And while Dustin Keller had a few more catches, I think Gresham had the better year and also had a rookie QB and rookie OC. Considering Gresham was named and alternate and Keller wasn't, someone else out there agrees.
[/quote]

Keller disappears for weeks at a time until they decide they have a mismatch and throw him a couple TD's to boost his stats. No way Gresham is behind Keller. It's almost like they punished Gresh after he learned to be a better blocker. Hell, even the Pro Bowl coach had Jermaine blocking more than running routes.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1335715835' post='1127083']

Keller disappears for weeks at a time until they decide they have a mismatch and throw him a couple TD's to boost his stats. No way Gresham is behind Keller. It's almost like they punished Gresh after he learned to be a better blocker. Hell, even the Pro Bowl coach had Jermaine blocking more than running routes.
[/quote]

I think more-so, because of the lockout there was obvsiously a large part of the playbook that the team never installed. Word is they started the season with about 100 plays installed. By comparison, the new orleans playbook (gruden says his offense is most like theirs) has over 1,000 plays in it.

I bet a lot of what wasn't installed is stuff for the TE's. That's why as the season went on and they installed more plays, you saw Gruden splitting Gresham out wide more.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335716024' post='1127087']

I think more-so, because of the lockout there was obvsiously a large part of the playbook that the team never installed. Word is they started the season with about 100 plays installed. By comparison, the new orleans playbook (gruden says his offense is most like theirs) has over 1,000 plays in it.

I bet a lot of what wasn't installed is stuff for the TE's. That's why as the season went on and they installed more plays, you saw Gruden splitting Gresham out wide more.
[/quote]

Jon Hayes even mentioned this problem in his interviews yesterday. I think they expect Gresh to do a lot more this year.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335730935' post='1127253']
I just love this pick.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5BsUTHToaQ[/media]
[/quote]

For the net 3-7 years we don't even have to discuss the TE position other then to say...wow we have 3 great young TEs

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1335732511' post='1127260']

my favorite...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns821zOKUI[/media]
[/quote]

That's not that flattering a highlight reel. No blocks, just a lot of catches. Not a lot of run after catch and only a few broken tackles.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1335733013' post='1127264']

That's not that flattering a highlight reel. No blocks, just a lot of catches. Not a lot of run after catch and only a few broken tackles.
[/quote]

I have to say it. I have been clicking through threads and you've posted in almost all of them with some
Debbie Downer shit. The Bengals are being lauded for having one of, if not THE best draft. Yet, you'd
think it was average or below reading your tripe.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1335733013' post='1127264']

[/quote]

yeah I doubt they're bringing him in to block much...just because he's called a TE, doesn't mean that he's going to be lined up like one.

[quote name='VonBlade' timestamp='1335657994' post='1126583']
Fuck me Hayes is willing to go to war for his players isn't he. Love it.
[/quote]

coach hayes seems like a very likable guy. one you'd like to sit down with, have a beer, and chew the fat. i always come away with that from his interviews. he probably seems like a big relief to the local scribes after dealing with coach lewis, who if he's had a favorite line during his interviews, it's probably "is that all?"

i loved his explanation at the end about jermaine gresham having gone through all the different system changes, and how integral this off season should be to him...how this should be the year we see him skyrocket.

it's gonna be good....real good!

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1335715563' post='1127070']
Gresham made a few of the most amazing TD catches i've ever seen last year. All of his yards are short to intermediate routes that most of his YAC are from running through LB's and safety's that are on him as soon as he gets the ball.

I gave Gruden a pass last year since he was a first year coach, but we HAVE to get the ball in this guy's hands more often.
[/quote]

that goes back to that shortened camp. the stuff in gruden's head isn't the problem, i'm certain of that, it's getting it instituted.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1335736047' post='1127284']

coach hayes seems like a very likable guy. one you'd like to sit down with, have a beer, and chew the fat. i always come away with that from his interviews. he probably seems like a big relief to the local scribes after dealing with coach lewis, who if he's had a favorite line during his interviews, it's probably "is that all?"

[b]i loved his explanation at the end about jermaine gresham having gone through all the different system changes, and how integral this off season should be to him..[/b].how this should be the year we see him skyrocket.

it's gonna be good....real good!
[/quote]

good catch.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1335735301' post='1127275']

I have to say it. I have been clicking through threads and you've posted in almost all of them with some
Debbie Downer shit. The Bengals are being lauded for having one of, if not THE best draft. Yet, you'd
[/quote]

Reminds me of this guy

[img]http://i.qkme.me/35kn7e.jpg[/img]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/MelKiperESPN"][b]Mel Kiper Jr.[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]MelKiperESPN[/b][/url]
[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]Best value 4th rd -OFF-Miller, Miami, Jones, Houst, Cousins, Wash, Massie, AZ, [b]Charles, Cincy[/b],DEF -Ta'Amu, Pitts, Boykin, Phila Crick,Houst[/font][/color]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1335735301' post='1127275']

[/quote]

I was being critical of whoever put together that highlight reel rather than the player. It only had catches, no blocks, and had a lot of routine plays that aren't really highlight worthy. Seems like with half these highlights, the maker starts with some hip hop song, then finds as many seconds of footage as the song lasts. I'd rate the draft as average given our draft picks and needs and the offseason as a whole as below average given we started with a lot of draft picks and the most cap space in the league. I don't hate the players we picked but we missed some opportunities to make up more ground on the Steelers and Ravens.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1335805686' post='1127548']

I was being critical of whoever put together that highlight reel rather than the player. It only had catches, no blocks, and had a lot of routine plays that aren't really highlight worthy. Seems like with half these highlights, the maker starts with some hip hop song, then finds as many seconds of footage as the song lasts. I'd rate the draft as average given our draft picks and needs and the offseason as a whole as below average given we started with a lot of draft picks and the most cap space in the league. I don't hate the players we picked but we missed some opportunities to make up more ground on the Steelers and Ravens.
[/quote]

There was a much better one posted very early in this thread to show his entire game. That showed the good and bad, and blocking in run plays as well.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1335805686' post='1127548']

I was being critical of whoever put together that highlight reel rather than the player. It only had catches, no blocks, and had a lot of routine plays that aren't really highlight worthy. Seems like with half these highlights, the maker starts with some hip hop song, then finds as many seconds of footage as the song lasts. [b]I'd rate the draft as average given our draft picks and needs and the offseason as a whole as below average [/b]given we started with a lot of draft picks and the most cap space in the league. I don't hate the players we picked but we missed some opportunities to make up more ground on the Steelers and Ravens.
[/quote]

what exact needs have they failed to address other than a proven #2 WR?

You've been harping on the fact that they didn't spend their whole cap for weeks now, and you still don't seem to get WHY they didn't spend it all.

A "below average offseason"? Seriously? :huh:

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1335713975' post='1127031']
I saw where somebody was calling him the Hernandez to Gresham's Gronk. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the other way around. I'm not that impressed with Gresham so far. Yes, he made the pro bowl, but more by default IMHO.
[/quote]
You're so full of shit. A Bengal TE gets to play in the Pro Bowl, but that means nothing to you. You aren't impressed. Do you watch Bengals games? The catches, the athleticism, the highlight reel TDs? Gresham is twice the athlete and player as those overrated cavemen in Foxboro. Did I mention that you are full of shit?

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1335808280' post='1127564']
You're so full of shit. A Bengal TE gets to play in the Pro Bowl, but that means nothing to you. You aren't impressed. Do you watch Bengals games? The catches, the athleticism, the highlight reel TDs? Gresham is twice the athlete and player as those overrated cavemen in Foxboro. Did I mention that you are full of shit?
[/quote]

I don't know that I would put him above Gronk, but Hernandez I would.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335807554' post='1127560']

what exact needs have they failed to address other than a proven #2 WR?

You've been harping on the fact that they didn't spend their whole cap for weeks now, and you still don't seem to get WHY they didn't spend it all.

A "below average offseason"? Seriously? :huh:
[/quote]
Agreed. And when you consider who we have to resign this season: Dunlap, Atkins, MJ, Howard, Lawson(?)... we could use that space. The long view, which the team has shown a real knack with as of late, always wins out.

Archived