How much vacation do you get?

CincyInDC

[img]http://thumbnails.visually.netdna-cdn.com/did-you-know-some-countries-require-you-to-take-a-vacation_50355401c1810.jpg[/img]

The country I live in requires 28 days, but I get 30 plus a ridiculous number of paid holidays. My last job in the US I got 3 weeks (15 days) to start but after 3 years with the company got 20 days off per year. Where do you stand? I don't even know what to do with so many days off. (ha)

[quote name='Jim Finklestein' timestamp='1345854535' post='1150918']
Damn, I am moving to Australia! They got it all, hot chicks, great waves, and 42 days a year to enjoy them! Don't like all the poisonous snakes and shit they have though...
[/quote]

It's Austria not Australia that gets 42 days.

Australia still mandates 28.. Not bad. 30 days a year paid when I was in the Army was a pretty sweet deal.. I used to get 4 weeks paid (sick and vacation) where I am at now, but they took half that away when the economy went to shit.

My new company has *much* better benefits than the last which only allowed 10 days no matter how long you had been there. Here we have PTO which encompasses sick and vacation. You start out with around 22 days, and can max out at 44. Not too shabby for The States, particularly since I almost never get sick (taken 2 sick days in the last 15+ years). Plus, if you don't get the chance to take the time, they allow you to cash out up to 100 hours or some such nonsense.

[quote] I don't even know what to do with so many days off. (ha)[/quote]

Oh, and fuck you. :shakesfist:

I'll be doing my best to waste some of your days next month... ^_^

i have been at my urrent employer for 6-7 years, we only get 3 "office closed" holidays, xmas, easter, and thanksgiving, but we get holiday pay for working every other known holiday, and black friday counts as a holiday for holiday pay.

you gain days by tenure, at this point, i get 5 weeks vacation, and 5 "floating holidays"(basically more free vacation days, just need to be planned, but so does vacation, soo....) and i carry over a week each year cause i cant manage to take it all..

this year i had a pool of 7 weeks of days off to take... i am taking 6 total... i took a week off in jan, feb, march, taking a week in september and october... and a weeks worth of random days in between.

What is the deal with combined vacation and sick leave? It seems like a thinly veiled attempt to get people to work while they are sick, thereby spreading the infection around the office. I guess it keeps fictitious illness problems down.

At my last job in DC there was one chick who thought we couldn't function without her so she'd come in with raging colds, pneumonia, etc. She was ordered home by our boss more than once. What a martyr.

Over here, if you're sick, you're not fit to work, so you stay home. If you are sick for 3 days you technically have to get a doctor's note, but since everyone has health insurance...

I dont even know how many vacation days I get, I assume around 10 days per year now. I have an absolute landfill of them built up though.

In my line of work, time is money. I work my ass off to earn my pay, and if I take vacation, it is seriously detrimental to my business. I have taken ONE five day workweek off in the past five years, other than that I may take a half Friday off, or full Friday off, etc. Keeping my business in good standing is too important too me to trust it to someone else foe more than a day or two.

Shit, even when I take a day off I spend half the day on the phone/laptop anyway. Maybe I need to move to Austri-alia also.

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1345877609' post='1151001']
What is the deal with combined vacation and sick leave? It seems like a thinly veiled attempt to get people to work while they are sick, thereby spreading the infection around the office. I guess it keeps fictitious illness problems down.

At my last job in DC there was one chick who thought we couldn't function without her so she'd come in with raging colds, pneumonia, etc. She was ordered home by our boss more than once. What a martyr.

Over here, if you're sick, you're not fit to work, so you stay home. If you are sick for 3 days you technically have to get a doctor's note, but since everyone has health insurance...
[/quote]

I love the combined time. I rarely get sick so it's just extra vacation for me and I don't have to call in pretending to be sick to use the days. Being able to plan ahead also makes sure my work is covered when I'm out.

I'm at 20 combined days plus 4-5 floating holidays, which are designed to make sure each office gets the same number of days off since some regions have their own holidays. Basically every office has 11 total holiday days off.

we can carry over 10 days each year.

[quote name='Bartledoo' timestamp='1346514202' post='1153699']
What's a "job"...?

I know you all don't care, because you have wieners, but the amount of maternity leave required/allowed by other countries also eclipses the US.
[/quote]

Yeah, but it's not too hard to eclipse zero.

I agree that it's pathetic...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1346517268' post='1153703']
Yeah, but it's not too hard to eclipse zero.

I agree that it's pathetic...
[/quote]

i thought by law men got 2 weeks here....paid... at least thats what my job offers to dads... moms get 6 weeks paid then can take vaca after that if they wish

Archived