2013 Draft and Free Agency

yea, both Brandt and Mayock have Cyprien 4th which I thought was noteworthy.

Mayock has 

Vaccaro

Elam

Reid

Cyprien

Swearinger

That's what I have too, though think Swearinger is a better fit than Cyprien.

did you catch what mayock said about elam? something along the lines of "the only problem with elam is he's too short, and there's nothing he can do about that".

did you catch what mayock said about elam? something along the lines of "the only problem with elam is he's too short, and there's nothing he can do about that".

yea he said that a week or so ago I think.  Will be interesting to see how his draft goes.  I'd have no problem with him at 21, the height thing is overblown IMO.  Many mocks I've seen seem to think he wouldn't get past Baltimore at 32.

IMO, still a close second to Vaccaro.  

yea he said that a week or so ago I think.  Will be interesting to see how his draft goes.  I'd have no problem with him at 21, the height thing is overblown IMO.  Many mocks I've seen seem to think he wouldn't get past Baltimore at 32.

boy i don't know. how's that little guy ever going to be able to cover tight ends effectively, which will be a big part of his assignment in the passing game. they'll dwarf him. and he had problems with covering tight ends and big receivers at florida, which is a precursor of things to come in the NFL, because all the tight ends and receivers are big, well accept for baby hawk, lol.

But Marvin and Zimmer put real stock into the height of their cover people, especially safety. Look at Mays and Ikoka. Neither of those guys have great hips to cover with, but they are both ridiculously tall. I don't get the obsession either, even though it's obviously preferable. 

But Marvin and Zimmer put real stock into the height of their cover people, especially safety. Look at Mays and Ikoka. Neither of those guys have great hips to cover with, but they are both ridiculously tall. I don't get the obsession either, even though it's obviously preferable.

Yep I don't get why love the 6-4 safety that can't cover or play worth shit. Don't forget about Sands too.

Sports Illustrated‏@SInow4m
.@SI_PeterKing's 2013 NFL Mock Draft: http://bit.ly/XXFboI

21bengals_80.png

Eddie Lacy

RB

alabam_40.png

Alabama
Jr.130402.02.png5-11130402.02.png231

NFL sign of the times: No RBs in the top 20 of the draft. There's a legit chance none go in the first round, but the Bengals love this guy.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-draft/news/20130424/2013-nfl-draft-mock-draft-peter-king/#ixzz2RRCUIkLW

This article from 3 months ago is very telling if King is correct.

And Lewis said after watching Sunday's championship games, the right path is the running game.

"I have to do a better job of getting us to be able to run the football better; you have to flat out run the ball effectively," he said.

After struggling with the run early in the season and then using it to grease a four-game winning streak, the bottom fell out in the last three games when the Bengals rushed for a grand total of 141 yards on 53 carries—less than three yards per scrum—and lost the playoff game when they didn't or wouldn't run it when they had to. They averaged 18 tries in the last three games compared to 33 in the previous five.

Lewis watched the 49ers bludgeon the Falcons on 5.1 yards per carry and while the Ravens, particularly running back Ray Rice, didn't pound it against the Patriots (they had just 3.7 yards per carry), Rice's change-of-pace back, rookie Bernard Pierce did what he did against the Bengals in the season finale and knifed for 52 yards on nine carries. And the 33 total attempts helped keep Tom Brady on the bench.

"That's how we turned our season around," Lewis said. "That's how we were effective in 2011 after the lockout. We just have to be able to continue on those things."

"Those things" were magnified for Lewis on Sunday as he watched his old Ravens become the third AFC North team to reach the Super Bowl during his 10 seasons in Cincinnati.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Ten-years-later-and-Lewis-challenges-himself/1e284e7e-7cab-4658-a58a-cc57dd9ff546

Depending on how the Bengals have their board arranged they will have the option of selecting the #1 RB in the draft with the 21st pick, will they pull the trigger remains to be seen.

Damn, sounds like its gonna be Reid or Lacy. Mayock and King do seem to have some inside info. I guess id rather draft Reid and Bernard /Franklin, then Lacy and ?.

That's kind of where I'm at. You take Lacy at 21 and all four of the top safeties are likely gone by 37. The RB class is so deep with all kinds of different backs. Just feels like the Bengals could find a better RB in the second round than they could find a safety. Even though the Bengals approach is BPA, that doesn't mean their board isn't slanted toward positions of need. And clearly they understand that their two top needs are RB and safety.

boy i don't know. how's that little guy ever going to be able to cover tight ends effectively, which will be a big part of his assignment in the passing game. they'll dwarf him. and he had problems with covering tight ends and big receivers at florida, which is a precursor of things to come in the NFL, because all the tight ends and receivers are big, well accept for baby hawk, lol.

That's one of my concerns, too. Have heard a few talking heads over the last week who have spoken to scouts who have told him they think he's got a big bust factor, and I've read he has some off the field issues, too (not sure what they are).

I think if you went across the league, with the exception of Vaccaro (who is the consensus #1), there's a lot of variation between Reid, Cyprien, Elam, and even Swearinger as to how they are rated.

Living here in Dallas, they'd like an OL or DL, but safety is also a need, and they like Vaccaro and Reid. The top 5 OL are likely gone (3 Ts, 2 Gs), and DLs like Floyd. Since they're moving to a 4-3, they reportedly like Werner, Sheldon Richardson, and Sylvester Williams and will wait to grab a S later - but they could go S at 18, too.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva9h
These were my takeaways after charting Eddie Lacy vs. 4 top-35 NCAA run defenses. Love watching him run. Link: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42485/321/eddie-lacy-nfl-ready-back

I like his game and think he could be a load, especially in the AFC North. Love how hard he runs, he's got a great spin move, and he can catch, too.

That's one of my concerns, too. Have heard a few talking heads over the last week who have spoken to scouts who have told him they think he's got a big bust factor, and I've read he has some off the field issues, too (not sure what they are).

I think if you went across the league, with the exception of Vaccaro (who is the consensus #1), there's a lot of variation between Reid, Cyprien, Elam, and even Swearinger as to how they are rated.

Living here in Dallas, they'd like an OL or DL, but safety is also a need, and they like Vaccaro and Reid. The top 5 OL are likely gone (3 Ts, 2 Gs), and DLs like Floyd. Since they're moving to a 4-3, they reportedly like Werner, Sheldon Richardson, and Sylvester Williams and will wait to grab a S later - but they could go S at 18, too.

yea they all have different strengths and weaknesses, plus teams are looking for different types.  Here's how I broke it down IMO over in the draft forum.

In man coverage, I'd go:

Vaccaro

Elam

Swearinger

Reid

Cyprien

In deep coverage:

Reid/Cyprien

Vaccaro

Elam

Swearinger

Zone underneath (biggest weakness of the Bengals D last year)

Vaccaro

Reid

Elam

Swearinger

Cyprien

Run Support

Elam

Vaccaro

Reid

Cyprien

Swearinger

Blitzing

Vaccaro

Elam

Reid

Swearinger

Cyprien (can't recall him ever blitzing)

Sorry, I don't know the names of all the different coverages.

Dude, we gave up a 7th round pick for Mays and Iloka was a fifth round pick. And neither one has seen much playing time, if any. How do you equate that to an obsession?

How tall have our starting safeties been the last few years? Barely six foot?

Dude, we gave up a 7th round pick for Mays and Iloka was a fifth round pick. And neither one has seen much playing time, if any. How do you equate that to an obsession?

How tall have our starting safeties been the last few years? Barely six foot?

Just checked. Nelson and Crocker, our starting safeties the last several years, are both listed at 5'11

Mays may not have good hips, but Iloka does, as does Sands. I think Iloka will either start or be the third safety this year.

I think id rather have swearinger in the 2nd then reid in the first, but i also havent done a ton of research.

The first round is before the second round. So, it's not possible to take somebody in round two then take someone in round one.

He was just saying that he'd rather have Swearinger in the second instead of taking Reid in round 1.  Not in chronological order.  I'm not exactly sure what your gig of caling people out while adding nothing to the conversation is, but it's gotten old.  And in an ironic twist, I've now stooped to that level so I'll have to put myself on ignore too I guess...

I'm at least happy that we'll be gettigng SOMEONE to play SS. That someone has to be better than Taylor Mays or the unsigned Chris Crocker.  I only hope that whoever that person is can become a vocal leader we need and get people lined up like Crock did....

He was just saying that he'd rather have Swearinger in the second instead of taking Reid in round 1.  Not in chronological order.  I'm not exactly sure what your gig of caling people out while adding nothing to the conversation is, but it's gotten old.  And in an ironic twist, I've now stooped to that level so I'll have to put myself on ignore too I guess...

I'm at least happy that we'll be gettigng SOMEONE to play SS.  Right not that someone has to be better than Taylor Mays or the unsigned Crish Crocker.  I only hope that whoever that person is can become a vocal leader we need and get people lined up like Crock did....

When I type on my phone it autocorrects "than" to "then". So while most smart people could understand i meant Id rather take swearinger in the 2nd "than" reid in the 1st, since it came out "then" it was harder for him to understand.

Stupid autocorrect.

Archived