2013 Draft and Free Agency

I'd take a flyer on Matthieu in Rd 2 with the Bengals' pick.....it's tempting but if he's there in Rd 3, it's a no brainer. 

Getting a "starting" CB with the type of skills he has that late is great value.  With essentially 3 CB's starting on defense, it would be a good move IMO.   His instincts are off the charts.  I don't see him afraid to hit people either...he actually hits them instead of just absorbing.  I love this guy's game.   

i'd really be surprised if he ever ends up a starter in this league. i'd take him in the 4th, but nothing before that.

IMHO Mathieu due to his size would only really work in the slot against shorter slot WRs, he'd be Pacman's backup, which I'm not opposed to due to Pacman's age, but I'm not spending anything higher than a 4th.

I think you are greatly discounting his special teams skills, specifically kick and punt returns...he's probably the best kick or punt returner in the draft, to go along with being a good nickel/dime cb.

What's funny to me is that everyone here says that Mathieu is too short but want to draft Elam with the 21st pick and they are both 5'9, Elam has about 15 lbs on him but they are both the same height.

That would have been a reach before the suspension and drug thing. 

Based on what...the year he won damn near every award, including the Heismann. In 2011 Mathieu was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, the Bednerik Award winner, and first team All American. You can't be serious with that statement, if not for the weed problems he would be a first round pick. I would use the 53rd pick on him in a heart beat.

I think you are greatly discounting his special teams skills, specifically kick and punt returns...he's probably the best kick or punt returner in the draft, to go along with being a good nickel/dime cb.

What's funny to me is that everyone here says that Mathieu is too short but want to draft Elam with the 21st pick and they are both 5'9, Elam has about 15 lbs on him but they are both the same height.

Based on what...the year he won damn near every award, including the Heismann. In 2011 Mathieu was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, the Bednerik Award winner, and first team All American. You can't be serious with that statement, if not for the weed problems he would be a first round pick. I would use the 53rd pick on him in a heart beat.

Based on the opinions of several draft guys who said he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick even if he played last season. He's tiny, susceptible to getting beat in coverage, and not a wrap up tackler. You don't draft nickel corners in the 1st round.

I dont want Elam either, Marvin even said he doesnt want a short saftey.

And I was specifically talking to his usage as a CB. I completely agree with you regarding his punt and kick returning skills, but that wasnt what I was talking about.

Based on the opinions of several draft guys who said he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick even if he played last season. He's tiny, susceptible to getting beat in coverage, and not a wrap up tackler. You don't draft nickel corners in the 1st round.

I've also heard he could be a 1st or 2nd Rd guy before his suspension.   Draft guys are speculating as well....

I think he brings tremendous value.  He's tiny, but the same size as many other NFL players...he'll put on more muscle in an NFL program.  He's not susceptible to getting beat in coverage.  At all.   He got beat a few times in a very high profile game but he also made plays that same game.  He doesn't get beat regularly at all though....he's a tremendous CB with better ball skills than anyone in the draft, offense or defense, maybe aside from Eifert.   He's a more than willing tackler who makes the tackle more often than not. 

I think your assessment of him is inaccurate but that's ok.  It'll be fun to see where he actually goes in the draft. 

I dont want Elam either, Marvin even said he doesnt want a short saftey.

And I was specifically talking to his usage as a CB. I completely agree with you regarding his punt and kick returning skills, but that wasnt what I was talking about.

That's not what he said.

IMHO Mathieu due to his size would only really work in the slot against shorter slot WRs, he'd be Pacman's backup, which I'm not opposed to due to Pacman's age, but I'm not spending anything higher than a 4th.

Did no one read the article?!  Everyone is talking about him as a CB.  The whole point is that he's a different kind of player, and it's his versatility as a kind of Joker - think Troy Polomalu if you need a visual for what a DB Joker looks like - that makes him valuable on Defense.  In fact, I'd say Troy is a pretty good comparison.  Granted, Troy had an inch (ONLY ONE INCH) and about 10-15 pounds on him coming out, but Mathieu is also a true Junior and didn't have a year to develop his body more.

Point being, if we take this guy at 2b (assuming he's even there, which is a question), I won't be complaining at all...

Did no one read the article?!  Everyone is talking about him as a CB.  The whole point is that he's a different kind of player, and it's his versatility as a kind of Joker - think Troy Polomalu if you need a visual for what a DB Joker looks like - that makes him valuable on Defense.  In fact, I'd say Troy is a pretty good comparison.  Granted, Troy had an inch (ONLY ONE INCH) and about 10-15 pounds on him coming out, but Mathieu is also a true Junior and didn't have a year to develop his body more.

Point being, if we take this guy at 2b (assuming he's even there, which is a question), I won't be complaining at all...

Me either...

And you make a great point....he was used at like 5 different positions at LSU.  Made plays from each position he lined up at. 

I agree he is a playmaker , but Mathieu and Palomalu have totally different builds. This talk about a inch shorter and few lbs lighter is silly.

As is the attempt to dismiss the comparison because of their size.  The guy was a finalist for the Heisman as a TRUE SOPHOMORE - and a DEFENSIVE PLAYER NO LESS, for a reason.

Dude, he is the exact same size as Pacman and Pacman went #6 overall, when you have guy who is clearly a great playmaker you can ignore other measureables, some guys have things you can't measure that makes them great football players.

Archived