AFCN Offseason Thread (Flacco highest paid Player in NFL HISTORY)

I dont understand how this works. How the hell can his cap hit only be 7M this year? They might be able to get away with that this year, but they are going to be fucked in the future IMO.

Since it appears to be nearly identical to Brees' contract here is a link to the details:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees/

Year 2  is a big jump, but year 4 it gets ugly and still sitting with a ton of dead money

Since it appears to be nearly identical to Brees' contract here is a link to the details:

Year 2  is a big jump, but year 4 it gets ugly and still sitting with a ton of dead money

Looks like they get one year of relief before it gets out of hand. So they've got a one year window with financial flexibility so unless they draft very well or get more retirements or hit cheap home runs in free agency they'll be screwed...

Yeah, at some point its going to fuck the ravens, whether it is in 2013 or 2014 or 2016 who knows. 

Not really.

He was handed a business with guaranteed revenue flow and manages it to protect annual profit margins.

What has he done on HIS OWN to build the Bengals' brand, create additional revenue streams, added value and customer loyalty?

He plays it straight and conservative and it's clearly his only source of revenue. When he builds something on his own from scratch then maybe I'll give him kudos.

Wrong. He was heavily involved from the beginning of the franchise.

Paul Brown was a school teacher football coach. Mike was bringing together the investors etc. Then acquiring majority ownership. It's very remarkable unfortunately it came at the expense of the fans after his Dad passed.

Of course a lot of the revenue comes from PBS. Which he worked.

Wrong. He was heavily involved from the beginning of the franchise.

Paul Brown was a school teacher football coach. Mike was bringing together the investors etc. Then acquiring majority ownership. It's very remarkable unfortunately it came at the expense of the fans after his Dad passed.

Of course a lot of the revenue comes from PBS. Which he worked.

I'll take that over a Jerry Jones-type that has money coming out of his ears but thinks he's Norman Einstein.   MB can be meddlesome at times & has goals for his franchise that aren't always in line with winning football, but Jones is a GD albatross. 

Looks like they get one year of relief before it gets out of hand. So they've got a one year window with financial flexibility so unless they draft very well or get more retirements or hit cheap home runs in free agency they'll be screwed...

Back in 2001 after winning the 2000 Superbowl the Ravens sacrificed the future to keep the gang together for an extra year. It ended up costing them dearly. I suspect the same thing will happen again. Lewis and Birk are gone and Reed might very well go too. They will lose at least some young players. Everyone on the Ravens who's a free agent will feel like their contributions to the big win are undervalued and they should get a bigger deal than if they played for another team. It means most of them will enter free agency and go elsewhere. The 2012 Ravens were a 10-6 team before getting hot in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2013 Ravens miss the playoffs. 

Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
Flacco's deal: Six years, $120.6M. $52M guaranteed. $62M in the first three years. $6.8M cap hit for 2013. $29M cap hit for 2016. ...

Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
More Flacco: $29 million signing bonus; Option bonuses of $15M and $7M built into the deal; $30M in Year 1; $51M thru 2; $62M thru 3.

This is good news for the Bengals. The Ravens are borrowing cap space from future years to try to keep an extra vet or two for 2013. They are still going to lose some key players from what was a 10-6 regular season team. I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs in 2013 then get to enjoy the cap squeeze from Flacco's deal after that.

I'll take that over a Jerry Jones-type that has money coming out of his ears but thinks he's Norman Einstein.   MB can be meddlesome at times & has goals for his franchise that aren't always in line with winning football, but Jones is a GD albatross. 

Why does it always have to be the two extremes? Why can't we have an owner who is good with the business side of things but knows his limits and let's the football minds do football? I don't want Jerry Jones either but I don't want the opposite end of the spectrum in Brown either

Why does it always have to be the two extremes? Why can't we have an owner who is good with the business side of things but knows his limits and let's the football minds do football? I don't want Jerry Jones either but I don't want the opposite end of the spectrum in Brown either

the two aren't as different as you'd think.  They are actually very similar.

In reality.. Flacco's 6 year deal is a 3 year deal. HIs cap # for 2016 right now would be 29 million. No way that happens, ever

If he means they will have to restructure after the 3rd year I agee.  But given the ravens will be sitting on $25.85M in dead money going into year 4 I certainly wouldn't call it a 3 year deal meaning they can simply tear up the contract and walk away.

If he means they will have to restructure after the 3rd year I agee.  But given the ravens will be sitting on $25.85M in dead money going into year 4 I certainly wouldn't call it a 3 year deal meaning they can simply tear up the contract and walk away.

most people on twitter are saying it will certainly be restructured.

most people on twitter are saying it will certainly be restructured.

Yeah, there really isn't any other realistic option.   Ravens have just put all their eggs in the Joe Flacco basket for atleast the next 6 years. 

Of course it will be re-structured.  It's a horrible deal that' doesn't make sense for the Ravens in future years.  Flacco's agent probably needed something with the "shock value" that the deal received.....HIGHEST PAID NFL PLAYER EVER!!!!!!!!     Knowing full well that something was going to be worked out 3 yrs later. 

Of course it will be re-structured.  It's a horrible deal that' doesn't make sense for the Ravens in future years.  Flacco's agent probably needed something with the "shock value" that the deal received.....HIGHEST PAID NFL PLAYER EVER!!!!!!!!     Knowing full well that something was going to be worked out 3 yrs later. 

That and the agent probably gets his commission paid on the face value of the contract...

Archived