AFCN Offseason Thread (Flacco highest paid Player in NFL HISTORY)

I'll bet they let Kruger walk. He's a below average run defender and I think Upshaw is young/developing and already solid there... as it is, he plays a lot of snaps, especially vs. the run.

If it's one of the three, I'd bet Ellerbee. Cary Williams is good, but they already have Webb coming back from injury and Jimmy Smith, whereas they're really thin at LB. And given Williams is pretty young, I would guess he will get a lot of attention (read: money) in FA.

From an AFCN message board I frequent, the consensus among the raven fans is exactly as tex stated above and for the same reasons.   They don't know what to think about the Flacco contract.  They certainly don't think Flacco is worth the money, but didn't like the alternative to be looking for another QB, especially this year. 

I'd bet his 2013 cap number is under 15 mil, probably enough under to permit them to re-sign at least 1 of Kruger, Ellerbe, or Williams.

I saw a template yesterday wher his 2013 hit could be As low as $9 million, but would be around $18 million every other year. Granted, that was for a contract not as large as $120 million.

I saw a template yesterday wher his 2013 hit could be As low as $9 million, but would be around $18 million every other year. Granted, that was for a contract not as large as $120 million.

"Joe Flacco’s cap number for 2013 could be as low as seven million
dollars. One million in base salary, and six million of his guaranteed
money."

This only rumored out of Baltimore, but that is difficult for me to believe.

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/baltimore-ravens/flacco-to-become-highest-paid-qb-in-nfl-history/

According to the scroll on the NFL network Brownie coach Chud says he'll listen to trade offers for both Colt McCoy and Brandon Weedon.

Provide your own punchline.

Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart and Derick Anderson are FAs.  Don't want any QB controversy.

"Joe Flaccos cap number for 2013 could be as low as seven million
dollars. One million in base salary, and six million of his guaranteed
money."

This only rumored out of Baltimore, but that is difficult for me to believe.

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/baltimore-ravens/flacco-to-become-highest-paid-qb-in-nfl-history/

Flacco got fucked then

There's no way to win here just because they're giving one player so much. Sure you can keep one years cap hit low but with the sheer amount of the contract you're just fucking yourself later. Whatever way they choose, he's still going to be highly overpaid at some point and even if the salary cap goes up dramatically, they've just hamstrung themselves.

Edit: I'm not saying we wouldn't do the same thing given the situation but I'm happy it's not us (yet).

There's no way to win here just because they're giving one player so much. Sure you can keep one years cap hit low but with the sheer amount of the contract you're just fucking yourself later. Whatever way they choose, he's still going to be highly overpaid at some point and even if the salary cap goes up dramatically, they've just hamstrung themselves.

Edit: I'm not saying we wouldn't do the same thing given the situation but I'm happy it's not us (yet).

IMO.  this is why the Bengals are never forced to cut vet players.. They won't back load contracts, knowing that in the 3rd or 4th contract of the contract you're going to get cut because you're making too much and they put themselves in a position that the contract is damaging to the salary cap.

IMO.  this is why the Bengals are never forced to cut vet players.. They won't back load contracts, knowing that in the 3rd or 4th contract of the contract you're going to get cut because you're making too much and they put themselves in a position that the contract is damaging to the salary cap.

Say what you want about Mike Brown, but he's a damn good businessman.

Say what you want about Mike Brown, but he's a damn good businessman.

Not really.

He was handed a business with guaranteed revenue flow and manages it to protect annual profit margins.

What has he done on HIS OWN to build the Bengals' brand, create additional revenue streams, added value and customer loyalty?

He plays it straight and conservative and it's clearly his only source of revenue. When he builds something on his own from scratch then maybe I'll give him kudos.

We'll see the details of Flacco's contract after Monday but Ngata and Suggs both got about 60% of the total value of their contracts guaranteed. No reason for Flacco to take a lower % for his deal. Under the new CBA signing bonus can only be prorated over 5 years. Typically a third or more (more on longer deals) of the total value is paid upfront as signing bonus. If the Ravens want to pay a lot of guaranteed money while still having a low cap hit in 2013, there is probably a guaranteed option bonus in year 2 or 3. It acts as a second signing bonus, being prorated once paid. 

We'll see the details of Flacco's contract after Monday but Ngata and Suggs both got about 60% of the total value of their contracts guaranteed. No reason for Flacco to take a lower % for his deal. Under the new CBA signing bonus can only be prorated over 5 years. Typically a third or more (more on longer deals) of the total value is paid upfront as signing bonus. If the Ravens want to pay a lot of guaranteed money while still having a low cap hit in 2013, there is probably a guaranteed option bonus in year 2 or 3. It acts as a second signing bonus, being prorated once paid. 

The real comedy is that the Steeler's bounty on Flacco just went up 50 percent.

This from ESPN.  A little more in terms of contract details.

• Flacco will average $20.1 million over the life of the deal, which is slightly more than Drew Brees ($20 million).

• Flacco will average $62 million over the first three years, which
    is $1 million more than Brees in the first three years of his deal.

• Flacco's salary-cap number is $7 million, which is $12 million
    lower than the cap hit from the exclusive franchise tag. That means the
    Ravens have more money to spend on keeping their own free agents like
    safety Ed Reed and linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger.

This from ESPN.  A little more in terms of contract details.

• Flacco will average $20.1 million over the life of the deal, which is slightly more than Drew Brees ($20 million).

• Flacco will average $62 million over the first three years, which
    is $1 million more than Brees in the first three years of his deal.

• Flacco's salary-cap number is $7 million, which is $12 million
    lower than the cap hit from the exclusive franchise tag. That means the
    Ravens have more money to spend on keeping their own free agents like
    safety Ed Reed and linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger.

I dont understand how this works. How the hell can his cap hit only be 7M this year? They might be able to get away with that this year, but they are going to be fucked in the future IMO.

I dont understand how this works. How the hell can his cap hit only be 7M this year? They might be able to get away with that this year, but they are going to be fucked in the future IMO.

Remember, now that they have a 20 million QB, they have to start shelling out bucks to the guys he throws to and those that protect him.

Archived