AFCN Offseason Thread (Flacco highest paid Player in NFL HISTORY)

No shit. That said, I feel like the D needs more players than the O does. S, 2 LBs, vs only 2 RBs (assuming we keep Andre)

I think the D needs more role players who can likely be found late in FA, later in the draft, or at training camp cuts...where as the O needs more play-makers which cost a lot or need to be drafted early.  

Just think about this:  If Denver didn't completely fuck up in that game and let Jacoby Jones get wide open  50 yards downfield there is NO FUCKING way Flacco gets this deal.  One horrible defensive play by Denver has cost the Ravens dearly.

Well, let me say this about that.   I would totally screw up this team for a decade if it meant my team got to hoist the Lombardi trophy JUST ONCE.

I think the D needs more role players who can likely be found late in FA, later in the draft, or at training camp cuts...where as the O needs more play-makers which cost a lot or need to be drafted early.  

I disagree. We've lost our SAM LB, and god willing Rey is gone too. That leaves us with 1 starter from last years squad at this point, unless we resign Rey (puckes) or Thomas Howard (wouldnt hate it) and Crocker (wouldnt hate it short term) because nobody else we have on roster imo is a starter at S.

On O I think our young WRs only need more snaps and think that putting an experienced WR in there would be a mistake and hinder their progress.

They only NEED one RB.

Ok fair enough, even so it wouldnt surprise me at all if we do get two.

I disagree. We've lost our SAM LB, and god willing Rey is gone too. That leaves us with 1 starter from last years squad at this point, unless we resign Rey (puckes) or Thomas Howard (wouldnt hate it) and Crocker (wouldnt hate it short term) because nobody else we have on roster imo is a starter at S.

On O I think our young WRs only need more snaps and think that putting an experienced WR in there would be a mistake and hinder their progress.

I will be surprised if Howard is not back.

Well, let me say this about that.   I would totally screw up this team for a decade if it meant my team got to hoist the Lombardi trophy JUST ONCE.

Absolutely.   When I keep reading people making fun of the Ravens' roster.....I'm reminded they just won the SB.  Take that problem any day. 

Agree to disagree then.  The strength of our D is the system and the DL.  LB and S have been musical chairs to a degree with mostly the same results.  I won't be upset if we get a legit playmaker at S, but still think we'll keep on trucking to a top 10 D without it.  I don't think we need anything at SLB besides a warm body since they play 10 snaps a game these days.

I'd rather bring in a vet WR and send Marvin Jones to 4th WR where he will remain the rest of his pro career and we won't be victimized by young players learning the game.  I want to surround AD with weapons in 2013, there's been enough learning on the job his first two years with AJ and other young WRs...bring in a legit player who can add a dimension Jones, Sanu, Hawkins, Whalen won't have until they are 7-8 year vets.  If we want to win a playoff game in 2013 I think we need that help now.

I will be surprised if Howard is not back.

Depending on health me too.

Agree to disagree then.  The strength of our D is the system and the DL.  LB and S have been musical chairs to a degree with mostly the same results.  I won't be upset if we get a legit playmaker at S, but still think we'll keep on trucking to a top 10 D without it.  I don't think we need anything at SLB besides a warm body since they play 10 snaps a game these days.

I'd rather bring in a vet WR and send Marvin Jones to 4th WR where he will remain the rest of his pro career and we won't be victimized by young players learning the game.  I want to surround AD with weapons in 2013, there's been enough learning on the job his first two years with AJ and other young WRs...bring in a legit player who can add a dimension Jones, Sanu, Hawkins, Whalen won't have until they are 7-8 year vets.  If we want to win a playoff game in 2013 I think we need that help now.

That's fine we dont have to agree I'm ok with that.

Personally I think having a vet presence at LB next to Taz is important, whether it be Howard or otherwise, and not sure I agree that just a warm body will do at SLB, you might get me to say a compentent warm body, but not just a warm body, though I'd rather have someone with some potential. At S I feel the same way, a compentent warm body but would like a young up and coming guy that can learn from Nelson.

I feel that Sanu and Jones have the talent, they just need the snaps and that putting a vet in front of them will take away the snaps. I dont think the passing game is missing for talent, I think the running game is SORELY missing for talent, and if we can get a good RB it will help the passing game alot.

People have different visions for this team.

Myself, I don't see this team taking the next step until it improves the overall talent on the defense, especially in the back seven. As a result I'm not opposed to upgrading positions of relative strength, including DE if it happens to be BPA, and if forced to choose between adding upgrades at backup offensive skill positions or at starting but devalued defensive spots, well.... I'm going to lean defensive nearly every time. Because being highly ranked defensively is all well and good, but I'm guessing few amongst us consider the Bengals defense to be a truly elite group. At best they're a very good, but not great group, that still has several glaring weaknesses. In fact, despite the lofty ranking most of us could easily point to several defensive positions that could be upgraded relatively easily, some dramatically, if the commitment were made. 

People have different visions for this team.

Myself, I don't see this team taking the next step until it improves the overall talent on the defense, especially in the back seven. As a result I'm not opposed to upgrading positions of relative strength, including DE if it happens to be BPA, and if forced to choose between adding upgrades at backup offensive skill positions or at starting but devalued defensive spots, well.... I'm going to lean defensive nearly every time. Because being highly ranked defensively is all well and good, but I'm guessing few amongst us consider the Bengals defense to be a truly elite group. At best they're a very good, but not great group, that still has several glaring weaknesses. In fact, despite the lofty ranking most of us could easily point to several defensive positions that could be upgraded relatively easily, some dramatically, if the commitment were made. 

I agree with you for the most part.  I think our system and depth is a top 10 D and can stay that way even with Crocker at S and some random dude at WLB, but that we won't sniff #1 or will still come up short in the "critical play" department unless we add an elite play maker to the back 7.

That said I'd still like more weapons on the offensive side of the ball.  I think we can see improvement in our D through better offensive output alone.  More extended drives, more TDs and less FGs, more shifting of field position.  

I don't think we have an opportunity to take the next step on D if the offense can't hold up its end of the deal.  But I've always leaned more towards D so I won't be upset if we chose to go big on that side of the ball.

If the option were to totally screw up the team and the result would be winning the Lombardi Trophy, I am with you.  That is NOT what happened here.  They had already WON the trophy.  There was no reason to make the deal they did with Flacco.  He deserved a good deal, NOT ridiculous.   The Ravens fucked themselves based on past performance, not future.  His regular season stats are average at best.

Archived