Yesterday, I was never prouder of my President, nor more ashamed of my Government

oldschooler

so are you saying you are for Oboma taking our rights..

No one was ever going to take away rights. Unless you think EVERYONE has the right 

to own a gun. And right now, even without the Bill passing, EVERYONE can't own a gun. 

So are you saying criminals, felons, the insane, domestic violence abusers and the like

should all own guns? Should everyone would allowed to own tanks, RPG launchers, automatic

weapons and nukes? 

No offense, but I swear, I don't think a lot of people think. Having twenty 6 year old kids

mowed down at a Government facility (Public School) should not be accepted as the new normal. 

Having a mass shooting every few months should not be greeted with "OMG MY RIGHTS!!!"

I hate to say this, but I think some people need their World shattered to see this shit is wrong. 

IF there is something to be mad about, it should be the lack of enforcement of the current laws.

IF you think the president is right, then please explain WHY new laws would be more effective...

You're damn right the laws on the books should be enforced more strictly.

And those laws should be added to and they all enforced more strictly. 

I saw a video the other day from one of the News channels. They had a Producer

go in to 3 different Gun Shows in 2 different States. He was able to buy 3 guns,

one of which was the same that was used in the past few Mass Shootings, all 

without even speaking his name aloud. No ID asked for. No pen to write anything down.

Nothing. Just money in hand was all that was needed.

The little girl that was killed in Tucson, was shot with the killers 12th bullet.

He had a 33 round clip. If he had had a 10 round clip, that little girl would

probably still be alive today. Because when he emptied his clip, that is 

when the crowd was able to tackle and subdue him. 

At Sandy Hook, the piece of shit only had to reload 4 times to shoot over 150 bullets

in less than 5 minutes. If he had a 10 round clip, he would have had to reload 14 times.

Those reloads could have given people the chance to escape. Which was the case on

one of his reloads, when about 5 kids were able to run away. 

I could go on and on and on and on and on. The fact is, it is harder to adopt a pet or 

even rent a piece of furniture in this Country than it is to buy a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

And that is what these are. Please don't tell me that being able to kill 26 people in less than

5 minutes is anything but a WMD. 

I am ashamed of my Country today. 

You're damn right the laws on the books should be enforced more strictly.

And those laws should be added to and they all enforced more strictly. 

I saw a video the other day from one of the News channels. They had a Producer

go in to 3 different Gun Shows in 2 different States. He was able to buy 3 guns,

one of which was the same that was used in the past few Mass Shootings, all 

without even speaking his name aloud. No ID asked for. No pen to write anything down.

Nothing. Just money in hand was all that was needed.

The little girl that was killed in Tucson, was shot with the killers 12th bullet.

He had a 33 round clip. If he had had a 10 round clip, that little girl would

probably still be alive today. Because when he emptied his clip, that is 

when the crowd was able to tackle and subdue him. 

At Sandy Hook, the piece of shit only had to reload 4 times to shoot over 150 bullets

in less than 5 minutes. If he had a 10 round clip, he would have had to reload 14 times.

Those reloads could have given people the chance to escape. Which was the case on

one of his reloads, when about 5 kids were able to run away. 

I could go on and on and on and on and on. The fact is, it is harder to adopt a pet or 

even rent a piece of furniture in this Country than it is to buy a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

And that is what these are. Please don't tell me that being able to kill 26 people in less than

minutes is anything but a WMD. 

I am ashamed of my Country today. 

Still doesn't answer why news laws would be effective IF the old laws were not even enforced.

yeah people who have mental should have background checks...i agree. but that still won't solve the problems..todays kids and youth feel no value in life and that is where this is coming from. Morals need back in schools..

yeah people who have mental should have background checks...i agree. but that still won't solve the problems..todays kids and youth feel no value in life and that is where this is coming from. Morals need back in schools..

small steps in the right direction are better than no steps at all.  Sounds like this law would have been at least a small step in the right direction.

Old, don't waste your energy or time arguing with these two...they are obviously biased and things like reason and logic have no effect on them.

Like Obama said, this is a common sense law but politics and money got in the way. Idoits like Rand Paul would rather stand up for lobbyist than the American people, he doesn't deserve to be representing our country in Washington.

and while I have no problem with responsible people owning guns, if they really want to be responsible gun owners, they should be willing to put up with a little extra hassle to make sure less guns are getting into the hands of the WRONG people. 

no law is going to fix the problem, but it can certainly help.

Constitution: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The Constitution documents the basic tenets upon which our rule of law is founded, and it contains several clear and understandable manners by which the Constitution may be changed.  At one time, America hated alcohol and went so far as to amend the Constitution to outlaw it.  America changed her mind several years later and un-did that change.  It's an easy thing to do.

So, if you don't like the Constitution, then get enough support to change it.  If you cannot muster the support or are unwilling to even try, then shut up.

Constitution: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The Constitution documents the basic tenets upon which our rule of law is founded, and it contains several clear and understandable manners by which the Constitution may be changed.  At one time, America hated alcohol and went so far as to amend the Constitution to outlaw it.  America changed her mind several years later and un-did that change.  It's an easy thing to do.

So, if you don't like the Constitution, then get enough support to change it.  If you cannot muster the support or are unwilling to even try, then shut up.

this is silly.  The new law as I understand it wouldn't infringe on anyone's right's.  Every person would still have the right to attempt to buy a gun.  It merely helps gets guns out of dangerous hands.

what I am trying to say when you have no value on your life you will use other objects to harm people..we need prayer back in schools!

I agree with that, but keeping guns out of the hands of criminals is common sense and it doesn't affects anyone's rights. People with felony convictions, known criminals who have repeatedly broken the laws of our land should not be able purchase military grade weapons with the ease that they are able to do so today....Also individuals with known mental illness shouldn't be able to purchase guns, because they're not responsible enough to do so...this is common sense, but unfortunately common sense loses out to the almighty dollar in Washington and that is the problem with our country.

Seems to me the gun rights advocates always forget that part.

And as far as mustering up support or shutting up, could you be any more disingenuous? Again, 9 our of 10 Americans want tighter controls, that should be overwhelming support, but because of how much of a facist country we have become and how much money is poured into the campaigs of these assholes, we both know how this works. Let's stop being so coy about it.

Fomer House member Gabby Giffords....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/opinion/a-senate-in-the-gun-lobbys-grip.html?_r=0

A Senate in the Gun Lobby’s Grip

SENATORS say they fear the N.R.A. and the gun lobby. But I think that fear must be nothing compared to the fear the first graders in Sandy Hook Elementary School felt as their lives ended in a hail of bullets. The fear that those children who survived the massacre must feel every time they remember their teachers stacking them into closets and bathrooms, whispering that they loved them, so that love would be the last thing the students heard if the gunman found them.

On Wednesday, a minority of senators gave into fear and blocked common-sense legislation that would have made it harder for criminals and people with dangerous mental illnesses to get hold of deadly firearms — a bill that could prevent future tragedies like those in Newtown, Conn., Aurora, Colo., Blacksburg, Va., and too many communities to count.

Some of the senators who voted against the background-check amendments have met with grieving parents whose children were murdered at Sandy Hook, in Newtown. Some of the senators who voted no have also looked into my eyes as I talked about my experience being shot in the head at point-blank range in suburban Tucson two years ago, and expressed sympathy for the 18 other people shot besides me, 6 of whom died. These senators have heard from their constituents — who polls show overwhelmingly favored expanding background checks. And still these senators decided to do nothing. Shame on them.

I watch TV and read the papers like everyone else. We know what we’re going to hear: vague platitudes like “tough vote” and “complicated issue.” I was elected six times to represent southern Arizona, in the State Legislature and then in Congress. I know what a complicated issue is; I know what it feels like to take a tough vote. This was neither. These senators made their decision based on political fear and on cold calculations about the money of special interests like the National Rifle Association, which in the last election cycle spent around $25 million on contributions, lobbying and outside spending.

Speaking is physically difficult for me. But my feelings are clear: I’m furious. I will not rest until we have righted the wrong these senators have done, and until we have changed our laws so we can look parents in the face and say: We are trying to keep your children safe. We cannot allow the status quo — desperately protected by the gun lobby so that they can make more money by spreading fear and misinformation — to go on.

I am asking every reasonable American to help me tell the truth about the cowardice these senators demonstrated. I am asking for mothers to stop these lawmakers at the grocery store and tell them: You’ve lost my vote. I am asking activists to unsubscribe from these senators’ e-mail lists and to stop giving them money. I’m asking citizens to go to their offices and say: You’ve disappointed me, and there will be consequences.

People have told me that I’m courageous, but I have seen greater courage. Gabe Zimmerman, my friend and staff member in whose honor we dedicated a room in the United States Capitol this week, saw me shot in the head and saw the shooter turn his gunfire on others. Gabe ran toward me as I lay bleeding. Toward gunfire. And then the gunman shot him, and then Gabe died. His body lay on the pavement in front of the Safeway for hours.

I have thought a lot about why Gabe ran toward me when he could have run away. Service was part of his life, but it was also his job. The senators who voted against background checks for online and gun-show sales, and those who voted against checks to screen out would-be gun buyers with mental illness, failed to do their job.

They looked at these most benign and practical of solutions, offered by moderates from each party, and then they looked over their shoulder at the powerful, shadowy gun lobby — and brought shame on themselves and our government itself by choosing to do nothing.

They will try to hide their decision behind grand talk, behind willfully false accounts of what the bill might have done — trust me, I know how politicians talk when they want to distract you — but their decision was based on a misplaced sense of self-interest. I say misplaced, because to preserve their dignity and their legacy, they should have heeded the voices of their constituents. They should have honored the legacy of the thousands of victims of gun violence and their families, who have begged for action, not because it would bring their loved ones back, but so that others might be spared their agony.

This defeat is only the latest chapter of what I’ve always known would be a long, hard haul. Our democracy’s history is littered with names we neither remember nor celebrate — people who stood in the way of progress while protecting the powerful. On Wednesday, a number of senators voted to join that list.

Mark my words: if we cannot make our communities safer with the Congress we have now, we will use every means available to make sure we have a different Congress, one that puts communities’ interests ahead of the gun lobby’s. To do nothing while others are in danger is not the American way.

this is silly.  The new law as I understand it wouldn't infringe on anyone's right's.  Every person would still have the right to attempt to buy a gun.  It merely helps gets guns out of dangerous hands.

Agreed. This was two things, big gun money telling politicians how to vote, and republicans desire to make sure that the president never wins anything. What we really need is for one of the idiots to attack a Cpac conference and kill 50 or 60 conservatives. Laws would change real quick.

Agreed. This was two things, big gun money telling politicians how to vote, and republicans desire to make sure that the president never wins anything. What we really need is for one of the idiots to attack a Cpac conference and kill 50 or 60 conservatives. Laws would change real quick.

I don't even think it had to do anything with Obama.  I bet it was most all threats by the gun companies on politicians.  Pulling support, smear campain, etc.

From gun control, to finicial reform, to the widening gap between the rich and everyone else... all of these are problems the majority of Americans want fixed, we may not always agree on how best to fix then,  but they never get fixed because this country is bought and owned by the lobbies

I don't even think it had to do anything with Obama.  I bet it was most all threats by the gun companies on politicians.  Pulling support, smear campain, etc.

There were democrats from "gun states" that voted against it as well, because they would rather vote against something that makes our country better than go against the lobbyist that control their state.

what I am trying to say when you have no value on your life you will use other objects to harm people..we need prayer back in schools!

santa claus isnt going to fix anything, raising children to be good people because its the right thing to do, not because some magician is going to send them to a fire pit...

and even with the promises of magic land and seeing my dead dog when i die, its a huge loop hole system that doesnt help anything... i can rape children, murder people and burn villages to the ground, as long as i find jesus and TOTALLY promise he is my lord and savior, i mean like big time pinky swear!!!11, i get into heaven anyway...

Archived