Hard Knocks Episode 1

1. The Larry Black injury was twice as intense as the Reggie Kelly injury in '09

2. Burfict's golf game is a work in progress #hardknocks

Expand
  3. The two sequences with Gresham is the most he has talked on camera in three years #hardknocks

Expand
  4. Never thought I would hear Fall Out Boy used for an Oklahoma Drill

Expand
  5. Much like that Bruce Boudreau F Bomb count in NHL 24/7, we're going to need one for Zim #hardknocks

Expand
  6. James Harrison said last week that Hard Knocks was a "Pain in the A Double S." He just showed it. #hardknocks

Expand
  7. Nice bad ass filming sequence of James Harrison #hardknocks

Expand
  8. Hue Jackson getting major play so far #hardknocks

Expand
  9. Jay Gruden with an abundance of one-liners so far

Expand
  10. "Seriously, don't hurt this mother." -- Gruden to Harrison about Green

Expand
  11. If that's a little ice on A.J.'s knee, I'd hate to see a lot of ice

Expand
  12. "I ain't gonna kill him. But I ain't gonna let him get his job done>" -- Harrison to Gruden about A.J. Green

Expand
  13. "Good isn't good enough. This is about the pursuit of excellence." -- Zim #hardknocks

Expand
  14. Mike Zimmer Ladies and Gentlemen #hardknocks

Expand
  15. Good opening speech by Hue Jackson to open Hard Knocks #bengals

Damn I want a Bengals Harrison Jersey now. This dude is am absolute animal.

Loved it when Marvin said, " we're going bowling today" and a James Harrison said he was gonna kick someone's ass that day. Gotta be nothing but good to have that kind of attitude on the D.

Lots of good stuff tonight. Why am I not surprised that Adam Jones didn't check the gas gauge before going to work, then running dry short of the stadium? I liked the truck driver stopping when his windshield broke as he drove past Burficts golf shot. Jim Anderson was a very good RB coach. Let's see if Hue has his guys paying as much attention to detail as JA did.

Wow, surprisingly little substantive chatter so far. Here are some of my observations:

1. Harrison--- my reaction different from some of you apparently, and more in line with Unleashed's. I thought the cameras did a really good job catching Harrison's focus and his particular brand of hard-ass. And there is nothing in that approach that I hate for this defense. An "edge" with that crew has been, in my mind anyway, a missing piece for them to morph into a truly great unit. My hope has been that Harrison might help. After watching that last night, I retain that hope. 

2. Eifert--- holy crap. There were two shots in the bit on him that almost brought me to my feet...both involving him cutting/spinning. I was prepared for appreciating his hands and ability to catch, and that he has good straight-line speed, but the cut/spin to get open in whatever route that was, well, that was awesome. Especially for a 6'6' 255 pound guy. Yes please. More.

3. Bernard--- holy crap part II. Same issue, you can only hear about the cutting ability and jack-hammer feet so much...but actually seeing it. Well that's something else. We truly haven't had that around these parts in a long, long time. I murmured about it being since JB, but after watching that last night, I am sure I have not seen it around these parts since JB. Now the hard part, can Bernard translate that to games. God, I hope so.

4. Misc --- seems like a great group of guys. Likeable, but focused. At least that's what the cameras caught and the producers focused on. Zim remains a star. I have no idea why he hasn't been hired somewhere else yet as head coach. Love the demand he brings mixed with humor. Wasn't prepared for how awesome Hue Jackson came across. Great to see. Gruden with similar approach mixing demand with humor. A really likeable group of coaches. Even some of Marvin's under-rated humor.  The stuff with Gio checking into his place in the Banks and getting the group in the pool below to yell some Who Deys was just great. That kid seems really, really likeable. 

Overall, just a tremendous hour of TV in general, add in that its about the team we are zealots for, and that was completely fantastic. Will be re-watching that this week. 

The Larry Black thing really broke me up. Seriously, I had trouble sleeping.

So hard to watch someone get so close to their dream and then feel like its been yanked away. I hope he can recover an get another chance.

I know I'll be rooting for him, and think he deserves every random well-wisher he can get.

Just finished watching (thanks go)

Debow brings an entirely different attitude. Hope that small bit about him not watching film with his teammates is not reflective of his willingness to be a teammate though. We need him to be one of the guys.

Man Gio can cut, I think he and Law Firm switch roles between starter and 3rd down back by midseason.

Good stuff

Wow, surprisingly little substantive chatter so far. Here are some of my observations:

1. Harrison--- my reaction different from some of you apparently, and more in line with Unleashed's. I thought the cameras did a really good job catching Harrison's focus and his particular brand of hard-ass. And there is nothing in that approach that I hate for this defense. An "edge" with that crew has been, in my mind anyway, a missing piece for them to morph into a truly great unit. My hope has been that Harrison might help. After watching that last night, I retain that hope. 

2. Eifert--- holy crap. There were two shots in the bit on him that almost brought me to my feet...both involving him cutting/spinning. I was prepared for appreciating his hands and ability to catch, and that he has good straight-line speed, but the cut/spin to get open in whatever route that was, well, that was awesome. Especially for a 6'6' 255 pound guy. Yes please. More.

3. Bernard--- holy crap part II. Same issue, you can only hear about the cutting ability and jack-hammer feet so much...but actually seeing it. Well that's something else. We truly haven't had that around these parts in a long, long time. I murmured about it being since JB, but after watching that last night, I am sure I have not seen it around these parts since JB. Now the hard part, can Bernard translate that to games. God, I hope so.

4. Misc --- seems like a great group of guys. Likeable, but focused. At least that's what the cameras caught and the producers focused on. Zim remains a star. I have no idea why he hasn't been hired somewhere else yet as head coach. Love the demand he brings mixed with humor. Wasn't prepared for how awesome Hue Jackson came across. Great to see. Gruden with similar approach mixing demand with humor. A really likeable group of coaches. Even some of Marvin's under-rated humor.  The stuff with Gio checking into his place in the Banks and getting the group in the pool below to yell some Who Deys was just great. That kid seems really, really likeable. 

Overall, just a tremendous hour of TV in general, add in that its about the team we are zealots for, and that was completely fantastic. Will be re-watching that this week. 

Nice review. You covered most of the significant points. A few more that I thought were noteworthy:

1) geno doesn't seem so humble anymore. I guess it goes with the territory. It also suggests that he's going to be the highest paid DT in the league one way or another.

Gruden to Andy Dalton: I've been waiting three years to see you make that throw." interesting....

Archived