Hard Knocks Episode 1

The HBO link obviously doesn't work for us outside of the US. Is anyone planning on uploading them here like they did last time?
MULLY

Old seemed to have luck with the YouTube link... You may also have a PM.

This is HBO, it's cable TV and they are allowed to cuss all they want. You on the other hand have the option of not watching and/or not letting your kids watch it. You don't get to get all pissy because something you want to watch has cussing in it. You either watch it or you don't. It's that simple. I'd also like to add that if you're such a great parent then your kids seeing that kind of stuff on TV shouldn't affect them one bit. It's like Louis CK talking about gay marriage. People say "How am I supposed to explain this to my child?" and his answer is "I don't know, it's your fucking kid, why is it anyone else's problem?" If your kid hears language like that then it's your job to teach them about it. 

MULLY

I realize that.  I have no issue with that.  I was making a hypothetical situation asking why it's a problem if kids are not exposed to profanity.

I realize that.  I have no issue with that.  I was making a hypothetical situation asking why it's a problem if kids are not exposed to profanity.

It's not a problem if they're not exposed to it. It is a problem to shelter them too much though. They just turn into little weirdos and trouble makers when ya do that.

MULLY

It's not a problem if they're not exposed to it. It is a problem to shelter them too much though. They just turn into little weirdos and trouble makers when ya do that.

MULLY

I know kids like that.  They are very confident and well adjusted.

They grow up feeling much better about themselves than growing up in an environment full of bullying, and at times violence.

KNOCKS REACT: There wasn't a lot of buzz around Bengals headquarters after Tuesday's first episode of Hard Knocks, but people generally liked what they saw.

Safety Taylor Mays, who was caught in a very funny moment wondering about superpowers on an airplane ("If you're invisible you still have to go through security"), thought the many funny moments showed the camaraderie of the locker room.

"We've got a fun team and it works hard," Mays said. "We've got guys that have been around each other for a while. Obviously Coach Lewis has been here forever, guys know how to work and we have a good time around each other."

Mays is uncomfortable, however, with how closely the show captured the injuries.

"It's tough to show injuries on TV," Mays said "We assume to the general public it's not something that serious, but those are serious events to us. It's hard to see guys go down. It shows everything. It's almost like it should be private."

The cameras caught offensive coordinator Jay Gruden's very funny irreverent humor and it was no surprise to him how it came out.

"They're very good at what they do," Gruden said. "We're miked all the time so I really don't worry about it."

One of the more interesting moments centered around Gruden's conversation on the practice field with SAM linebacker James Harrison after Harrison manhandled the franchise, two-time Pro Bowl wide receiverA.J. Green.  When Gruden asked Harrison to stay away from the merchandise, Harrison said he was still going to do his job without hurting him. Looking back on it, Gruden wouldn't have had Green run that route and he loves what Harrison brings to practice.

"A.J. actually ran into him," Gruden said. "Usually on that particular route we tell A.J. to go in there and get separation with your physicality. We didn't take into account that James Harrison would be lined up out there. Usually it's a corner or a safety, but not James Harrison. You're not going to get much. The only thing separating is your shoulder. (Harrison's) job is to hold his ground and A.J. should have tried to avoid him on that play. It was not a major, major issue. I was busting his chops."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-McCalebb-tries-to-turn-corner/937a3fcd-0bb4-45c7-9bb3-c7d60f7512fd

BTW, watched the unedited version of the show and I can only take offense, not really offense as much as disappointment, at one time when the word "fuck" was used. It was near the beginning when Maualuga was checking into the hotel and he said "What the fuck!?!" to the lady at the desk. Just personal preference, but not the time and place, Ray. Pretty trailer park right there. All the F bombs at the stadium though, meh, who cares. And yes, puritans, there is a difference. The show is being broadcast into my private home and it is my personal choice to watch it or not.

MULLY

BTW, watched the unedited version of the show and I can only take offense, not really offense as much as disappointment, at one time when the word "fuck" was used. It was near the beginning when Maualuga was checking into the hotel and he said "What the fuck!?!" to the lady at the desk.

Agreed, that was low class.  Would really like to know who he was talking about.

I might catch some heat for this, but I was surprised that was the hotel they put them up in. I've been there, it's not great....at all. Hence the tube TV they showed in Andre's room. The Westin is close and much nicer. I guess there is some argument for more of a "camp" atmosphere without all the luxury, but there is just as good a one for having the guys be as comfortable as they can be in their down time. I was also kind of surprised no one from the national media took that opportunity to take a shot at the "cheap" Bengals.

I became a big Marvin Jones fan for some reason as a result of that episode. Is it just me?

He seemed to go all out in practice even though coaches didn't want him to dive and also didn't want to leave the field no matter what. Honestly...kinda reminded me of chad from his early days.

I might catch some heat for this, but I was surprised that was the hotel they put them up in. I've been there, it's not great....at all. Hence the tube TV they showed in Andre's room. The Westin is close and much nicer. I guess there is some argument for more of a "camp" atmosphere without all the luxury, but there is just as good a one for having the guys be as comfortable as they can be in their down time. I was also kind of surprised no one from the national media took that opportunity to take a shot at the "cheap" Bengals.

Bengals use that hotel as their regular season jail for nights before home games.

Visiting teams usually go Westin, Millenium, or Hilton.

I'm really digging on James Harrison. I hope he adds some bad ass to this defense that is severely needed.

MULLY

While I agree, I do have some slight concern though.  As someone else mentioned, and it may be just the way HBO chose to show us, but I'd like to see more respect for his coaches and more team cooperation.  Didn't like how he "did his own thing" in the team meeting while others LB's actively participated, and IMHO he disrespected Jay to some extent, even though at least one of them was "mostly" joking around...not sure James was though.  Guenther (sp?) seemed scared of him which is not a good thing.  To me there are some respect and coach/player roles and boundaries that seem to be stretched with him.  I don't like players getting treated differently and having special exceptions.  Again, maybe HBO edited it on purpose for that effect, and maybe he's more of a team player than portrayed.

Don't get me wrong, I love his bad-ass-ness and that's something that our defense has definitely needed for a long time, but you can do that AND be part of a respectful team too.

On Harrison, I think HBO is editing it that way and he obviously does not like the concept of hard Knocks. But there have been many times the guys on the team have come out and said how helpful he is to them and also there have been a few goofing off type of pictures posted on twitter or instagram that shows that he is more casual around the guys, at least when hard knocks isn't around.  

On Harrison, I think HBO is editing it that way and he obviously does not like the concept of hard Knocks. But there have been many times the guys on the team have come out and said how helpful he is to them and also there have been a few goofing off type of pictures posted on twitter or instagram that shows that he is more casual around the guys, at least when hard knocks isn't around.  

specifically to him having his back to the LB group in the meeting room, I'm curious to know if he has some kind of visual issue or learning disability.  Seemed he may have been looking at a (smaller) computer screen (off camera).

Not really a fan of the way he acted for the cameras though.  Suck it up and deal with it.  The funny thing is, he ended up being a bigger deal than he would have been had he just gone about his business and respectfully declined to do any interviews.

Not really a fan of the way he acted for the camers though.  Suck it up and deal with it.  The funny thing is, he ended up being a bigger deal than he would have been had he just gone about his business and respectfully declined to do any interviews.

He is dealing with it.

He's taken something he doesn't like (HBO cameras) and found a way to have fun with it.

And by fun I mean Harrison has found a way to use the presence of a few cameras as a way to enhance his reputation as an alpha-badass.

Further, the HBO guys clearly get the joke and found a way to have their own fun with it.

As for it being a bigger deal than if he'd respectfully declined to do any interviews, well...now you're getting it.

Harrison was one of the stars of the show.

He is dealing with it.

He's taken something he doesn't like (HBO cameras) and found a way to have fun with it.

And by fun I mean Harrison has found a way to use the presence of a few cameras as a way to enhance his reputation as an alpha-badass.

Further, the HBO guys clearly get the joke and found a way to have their own fun with it.

As for it being a bigger deal than if he'd respectfully declined to do any interviews, well...now you're getting it.

Harrison was one of the stars of the show.

if you make the faulty assumption that he was actually trying to get their attention.

if you make the faulty assumption that he was actually trying to get their attention.

You don't think he knew all those middle fingers and stunts to get away from the cameras weren't going to make the show? He's smart, he knows what he's doing.

You don't think he knew all those middle fingers and stunts to get away from the cameras weren't going to make the show? He's smart, he knows what he's doing.

or, he was trying to piss them off and give them nothing worthwhile and wasn't smart enough to realize that its HBO, not PBS.

He's on record as saying the cameras shouldn't be there.  There's really not much else to it.  Let's not go around confusing Harrison for some evil genius.

"They'll get to see me practice. They'll get to see me in my work environment, but they won't see anything else," Harrison said. "I don't think cameras have a place in the locker room. I don't know how you can bond as a team."

Archived