Dusty fired

Bengals1181

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9767640/dusty-baker-cincinnati-reds-manager-report-says

Dusty Baker is out as manager of the Cincinnati Reds, three days after his team lost the National League wild-card game to Pittsburgh.

A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that the Reds will announce Friday that Baker will be replaced. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because there had not yet been an official announcement. It was not immediately clear whether Baker was fired or chose to step down.

The 64-year-old Baker had one season left on a two-year contract he signed last October.

Baker guided the Reds into the playoffs three of the last four years, but they never advanced.

Cincinnati went 90-72 this season and finished third in the NL Central behind St. Louis and the Pirates. The Reds lost their final five games of the regular season and cost themselves a chance to host the wild-card playoff, which they dropped 6-2 at Pittsburgh on Tuesday night.

Baker has managed 20 years in the majors with San Francisco, the Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati. His teams have won five division titles and he is a three-time NL Manager of the Year.

The Reds won the NL Central in 2012, but Baker missed the celebration because he was hospitalized with an irregular heartbeat and a mini-stroke. He was admitted to a Chicago hospital during a road trip and missed 11 games.

Cincinnati then took a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five division series before losing three straight home games to San Francisco, the eventual World Series champion.

Baker took over the Reds in 2008 and revitalized them. He led Cincinnati to the NL Central crown in 2010, but the team got swept by Philadelphia. At the time, Baker became one of just six managers to win division titles with three teams, joining Billy Martin, Joe Torre, Tony La Russa, Lou Piniella and Davey Johnson.

What are the odds they bring in LaRussa?

I'm indifferent to Dusty, but firing Dusty won't fix the issues this team has hitting. 

Maybe.  Perhaps a new manager will stress more to Joey that he needs to drive in more runs.  Perhaps a new manager will be more aggressive on the basepaths with at least Cozart. 

I think there are things that could be bone to make the team they have now a little more productive.

What are the odds they bring in LaRussa?

Maybe.  Perhaps a new manager will stress more to Joey that he needs to drive in more runs.  Perhaps a new manager will be more aggressive on the basepaths with at least Cozart. 

I think there are things that could be bone to make the team they have now a little more productive.

I know I would be in the minority, but honestly I'd put Votto in the 2-hole behind Choo.  That, or put Hamilton 1 and Choo 2.  

Votto needs a guy like Choo in front of him who is consistently going to get on base.  Joey's run numbers are down in large part because people aren't getting on in front of him, and he's also getting pitched around a fair bit (and yes he also had his fair share of chances he failed on - I'm not convinced he's 100%).  

WOW!!!!

I thank the man for what he has done for us, but this team was so piss poor this year.  We should have won the central with our starting 5.  I kind of disagree with the hitting aspect.  During one of the games, they mentioned that Dusty was big on going after the first pitch and it was really evident.  They need to work the count and not let these pitchers go deep into the game.  That alone should help in the middle-to-late innings.  Plus, we saw what kind of turn around the Cards had this past year when they got a new hitting coach.  I wonder if that will be in the works as well.

I kind of hope its LaRussa.  I want players to be held accountable for their actions on and off the field.  Fail to hit a sac fly, your ass is on the bench next game for someone who can.  Brandon Phillips starts mouthing off to a reporter like that, instead of Dusty just saying "thats between you two", I would have chewed Brandon out.  Have some respect for a guy doing his job.  Its not his fault your OBP is garbage because you swing at the first three pitches you see.  

I could also see it being Price.  Apparently the Mariners are very interested.

Whoever comes in, really needs to stress how important it is to get Choo back.  Do whatever they can.  Up the payroll or whatever.  We don't have a huge window.  Latos and Bailey have new contracts coming up.  Bronson, our innings eater, is likely gone.  Brandon and Joey aren't getting any younger.  I don't think we have very many top prospects, either.  Certainly not as many as the Cards or Pirates.  Its time to win NOW.

I know I would be in the minority, but honestly I'd put Votto in the 2-hole behind Choo.  That, or put Hamilton 1 and Choo 2.  

Votto needs a guy like Choo in front of him who is consistently going to get on base.  Joey's run numbers are down in large part because people aren't getting on in front of him, and he's also getting pitched around a fair bit (and yes he also had his fair share of chances he failed on - I'm not convinced he's 100%).  

Choo was second in the NL in OBP, behind only him.  Yeah, he got pitched around quite a bit, but he also took too many pitches this year.  He has shown he can be a 30+ homer guy.  There are times when he takes pitches that he could drive because they are balls, and he only wants to swing at strikes.

I'm indifferent to Dusty, but firing Dusty won't fix the issues this team has hitting.

I'm waiting to see who they hire before I form an opinion of this move. A lot of people just wanted him gone, but the Reds could do worse than having Dusty as a manager contrary to popular belief.

Copying an interesting comment from the Reds Reddit:

Marty was also just on MLB Network Radio on Siruis.

He said that it was pretty obvious there was no leadership in the clubhouse this year and that Dusty was rarely ever in the clubhouse with the players. Also said that after the BP/C Trent incident, it was obvious Castellini was pissed that it became a national news story, and that Dusty should have had it under control.

Marty also went on to say he's heard that Phillips might be moved in the offseason and they'll let Arroyo walk and do everything in their power to retain Choo. He's also heard that Bailey won't sign an extension and will go into Free Agency so he wouldn't be surprised if he was moved.

Getting rid of Brandon would be a mistake.

I would like to see Bailey retained as well, but if they do let him go, Chapman needs to move into the rotation.

Queto, Chapman, Latos, Leake, Cingrani could be pretty strong.

Getting rid of Brandon would be a mistake.

I would like to see Bailey retained as well, but if they do let him go, Chapman needs to move into the rotation.

Queto, Chapman, Latos, Leake, Cingrani could be pretty strong.

Agreed, I don't know what the reasoning was behind Phillips moving on, I didn't listen to the whole interview.

If Bailey really wants out then you have to think that opens up a spot for Chapman. Trade Bailey for a closer and some prospects. I like that rotation a lot.

Phillips is going to fall off a cliff very soon skill wise, he already started this year. It's a better long term move than a short term move. I've long suspected Bailey would be moved for a bat or two.

I bet they at least give Arroyo the qualifying offer. Arroyo doesn't want a 1 yr deal so it would be pretty safe to do.

Chapman needs to either be in the rotation or be traded for real value. The value of closers just isn't great. There was a stat one year showin that 3 guys, one with an era of like 1.5 one at 3 and one at 4.5 and they all closed at about a 84 percent rate or something. We can find another closer.

Bailey/latos- only going to be able to sign one most likely. Just too hard to sign both. If you go with them both on the roster this year you risk one walking away and getting nothing from him. I love homer but at this point I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if they traded him and got some real value for him. Imagine the numbers he'd put up in a big ballpark.

Phillips- I'm 50/50 on. Don't care if they trade him if they can get good value but would be happy if he was on he team too. I just don't want him hitting 4.

Ludwick- I just don't see any team taking on his salary, i just hope we don't expect him to be our cleanup hitter. Our only real hope with him is that he gets healthy and regains power and comes close to the player he was in 2012.

Bruce- depending on what happens in the off season and what coach we get, my guess is he slides into the 4 hole.

I really hope we can resign choo. We need that guy that can get on base in front of votto. If we can sign him, my guess is you'd see some sort of platoon with Hamilton and Ludwick.

3b- I like Todd Frazier but it seems like 3b is the only position we really have the opportunity to upgrade offensively. If we can find a good bat via trade or FA at the hot corner that could bat 4-5 it would be great. Maybe find one in the potential bailey trade?

I don't see how Jocketty gets a pass for not making a mid-season move for more offense. People will argue that there was nobody out there, yet the Pirates got Byrd and Morneau that have contributed tremendously and may have put them over the top in the wild card run.

I don't see how Jocketty gets a pass for not making a mid-season move for more offense. People will argue that there was nobody out there, yet the Pirates got Byrd and Morneau that have contributed tremendously and may have put them over the top in the wild card run.

I agree it was a bad move to do nothing. They put all their faith in Ludwick coming back great.

I guess there's a chance Walt was told he couldn't have the extra couple hundred thousand for Byrd, but he still could have blocked him from Pittsburgh. Unless he doesn't believe in blocking other teams.

Also regarding Todd Frazier, he'd still have value on this team even if we got an upgrade at third base. Todd would be the primary backup at most spots in the infield and outfield. He's get most of the starts that guys like heisey and hannahan got this year. I bet he'd still get like 250 at bats or so. It would immediately make our bench better.

Question is does anyone know of any 3B that would fit our team, right handed most likely, and be available?

Interesting.  Glad to see Jocketty isn't laying down.  The hitting coach clearly was not doing the job that needed to be done.  This was the one move that absolutely had to be made.  We HAVE to be better at the plate.  It was a wasted year because of what happened there.

Reds Fire Dusty Baker

By Tim Dierkes [October 4, 2013 at 10:55am CST]

10:55am: Baker was fired after he stood up for hitting coach Brook Jacoby, writes Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Jocketty informed Baker that he was planning on firing Jacoby, to which Baker replied, "If want to fire someone, fire me," as he felt it was unfair for blame to fall on Jacoby.

Baker said he felt he was doing what was right by defending Jacoby and would like to continue his managerial career elsewhere, adds Heyman. The past several days have been difficult, Baker conceded, as he's also been receiving hate mail from angry fans.

9:45am: The Reds have confirmed the move via press release. Within the release, GM Walt Jocketty offers the following statement:

"This was a very difficult decision to make. Dusty played an important role in the recent success of this organization, and we thank him for his contributions during his time here. We feel a change is necessary, however, if we are to continue to move the organization forward."

9:02am: Baker was fired, writes ESPN's Buster Olney in his daily Insider-only column. Olney explains that club executives felt the team was steeped with Major League talent and expected a deep postseason run with a chance at a championship, not a quick exit in a one-game Wild Card playoff. According to Olney, there's a sense from the top of the organization that a clubhouse shake-up was needed.

Earlier this morning, Olney tweeted that the front office "was seething" after the team's loss to the Pirates, prompting the change.

7:33am: Dusty Baker is out as Reds manager, according to Ben Walker of the Associated Press.  The Reds will announce today that Baker has been replaced, though it is currently unclear whether he was fired or he resigned. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that Baker had one year and roughly $3.5MM remaining on his contract.

Baker, 64, has been managing the Reds for the past six seasons, three of which have resulted in playoff berths. His record since taking over as Cincinnati's manager is 509-463. That .524 winning percentage is on par with his career percentage of .526. Baker is a three-time NL Manager of the Year and led the 2002 Giants to the National League pennant.

Earlier in the week, the Reds were bounced from the Wild Card playoff game by the Pirates, but general manager Walt Jocketty was quick to tell reporters, including John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, that he hadn't considered firing Baker: “I don’t think so,” Jocketty said. “He’s signed for another year.” That seems to suggest a resignation, though Reds ownership could have had a different view on Baker than Jocketty and brought about the change.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincinnati_reds/index.html

Archived