Where does Paul Brown Stadium rank in loudness?

After news of the Chief's fans at Arrowhead breaking the world receord for noise at an open air studium, I was just wondering where our beloved Bengals' home field ranks in the NFL for noise level.  I've been trying to find any internet info on decibel noise recordings taken at Bengals home games at PBS but struggling mightily.

Closing off both end zones with seats would work wonders.  So would fan education.  I can whistle LOUD with an acorn cap and have done so at games, but Bengals fans gave me the stink eye as it was a little too annoying for them. 

Jamie, Go, Dan, and I have been to M&T Bank Stadium and that place was unfuckingbelieveable.  Go scored some 100-level seats but we were underneath the concrete overhang and it was deafening. 

At another game, Jamie and I sat behind the end zone when Shayne hit like 7 field goals and we beat them 21-3 or something ridiculous.  It wasn't as loud that day since 1) the Bengals won and 2) we were more out in the open.  Ravens fans know how to make noise, though.

Like Jason said, it won't be that loud since it's so open.

I would like for the next stadium to be modeled after Seattle.

You can tell that place was designed to be LOUD just by looking at it.

Not having it open would mess up the Monsoon Generators, which are more effective than any crowd noise.

PBS can get loud enough to be effective.    Yes, it is open.

Biggest benefit is the number of seats in lower bowl.   Biggest fault aside from endzones being open is an empty club level.  Then general fan involvement.

To the question.   I don't recall reading, hearing any attempt to measure the actual "Loudness" of PBS ever being done.

However if PBS had a more engaged fan base I think that could overide stadium design.    It's not like the openness of the stadium is at field level.   It starts at the endzone club level. 

My guess at where it would currently rank.   Bottom 5.    

Apparently, according to the designer of the Seahawks stadium, the high noise retention was never intentionally part of its original design and came about purely by accident upon completion.

I think it will be another 20-30 years before this team even thinks about a new stadium.

Apparently, according to the designer of the Seahawks stadium, the high noise retention was never intentionally part of its original design and came about purely by accident upon completion.

I think it will be another 20-30 years before this team even thinks about a new stadium.

Came here to say this, it's a common myth that the Seahawks stadium was designed to be loud. It's the fans that make the difference. Ours just aren't particularly loud but they do show up, Steelers MNF was rocking pretty good.

"Happy accident" or whatever, the design helps quite a bit with the noise.

PBS can get extremely loud at times.

I remember the playoff game vs the Jets and on the their first offensive series it was so loud I stuck my fingers in my ears and screamed as loud as I could.. I couldn't hear myself scream. I also remember the concrete I was standing on shaking.

Pretty cool.

"Happy accident" or whatever, the design helps quite a bit with the noise.

PBS can get extremely loud at times.

I remember the playoff game vs the Jets and on the their first offensive series it was so loud I stuck my fingers in my ears and screamed as loud as I could.. I couldn't hear myself scream. I also remember the concrete I was standing on shaking.

Pretty cool.

Yeah the two playoff games along with the MNF opener against Baltimore and the TNF against Baltimore I believe were very loud. The stealers game this year was solid, and even the pats and gb games werent bad.

Hoping to win this division and get ourselves another home playoff game or two  to rock PBS again.

Old timers will recall the intensity of sheer noise at Riverfront. Enclosed, yes, but fans made the difference. The short-lived "noise penalty" rule was due, in large part, to NFL team complaints about Riverfront.

If today's Bengal fans could even generate 1/2 of the energy that was in Riverfront, there would be seismic readings.

It's not that loud. Not even close to KC and Seattle. Still a lot of the fans that go to the games dont know when to yell and when not to. I am so tired of seeing idiots yell and scream when the Bengals are on offense and try to get fans around them to be loud. 

I've not been to the stadium for a game in quite a while.  But I never understood why the scoreboard didn't help educate people, i.e. a big "GET LOUD!!!!" while we're on defense, and a big flashing "STFU!!!" when we were on offense :).

Maybe it's changed and there are some visual aids these days I don't know.

I've not been to the stadium for a game in quite a while.  But I never understood why the scoreboard didn't help educate people, i.e. a big "GET LOUD!!!!" while we're on defense, and a big flashing "STFU!!!" when we were on offense :).

They do have a screen that comes up that says "Quiet, offense at work" or something similar.

I remember seeing the same thing when I went to Indianapolis a few years ago.

They have them.

Bengal fans are poisoned. That is the ones that aren't dressed as visiting fans.

Notes:

1.  PBS is " educating " fans on when to make noise and when to stay quiet.  I believe the words on the big screens are " quiet while the offense is working " and just plain old " Make some noise " when our defense is on the field.  Players such as Peko and even Hunt have turned into quite the cheerleaders on the field with hand gestures signaling to make some noise.

2.  There have been numerous studies on the loudness of stadiums indoor and outdoor.  Most of what one will find is college stadiums.  I believe Ohio State was ranked number 2.  In 2010 or 2011 ( I think ), PBS was ranked 2nd from last in terms of loud fans.

3.  ESPN did a study of the loudest stadiums with a decibel meter of sorts in the NFL but I can not find the results other than a top 5 or top 10 list.

You won't find much.  It was not designed to be terribly loud.  If it were it would have been more enclosed.

I want that in our next stadium (if/when that happens).

I think we're 30 years away and I believe it will be a massive indoor one like up in INDY to make the City money.

I know we'll convince the bengals to sign a 10-20 extension as we try to finish paying off this current stadium and save up money for a new one. It's crazy to think we've been in PBS for almost 15 years and only 15 years remain.

I believe the ONLY way another stadium is built is if it's multi-use indoor, so we can get the superbowl/ college b ball champ/ maybe even an NBA team eventually. I also think it wont be in downtown it will go up around Norwood lateral as the city population is expanding north this just makes more sense.  Or PBS will be given a 100-200million reno. New seats more seats, covering it up more making it more fan friendly etc.

Much like Seatlle.   Design gets too much credit or blame.

It's the fans that make the difference.   

As far as new stadium or whatever.    Might want to take a look at what's happening on the riverfront.   New park, new entertainment venue    I doubt those workers and the materials are donated for free.     I doubt whoever is writing the check is doing from their own Scrooge McDuck money vault probably borrowing from another Scrooge McDuck vault.

Thus paying back the debt means having tenants producing revenue which won't happen if both professional teams aren't there.    City is locked into riverfront and that would be hard to move any team from the riverfront for a long time.

I think we're 30 years away and I believe it will be a massive indoor one like up in INDY to make the City money.

I know we'll convince the bengals to sign a 10-20 extension as we try to finish paying off this current stadium and save up money for a new one. It's crazy to think we've been in PBS for almost 15 years and only 15 years remain.

I believe the ONLY way another stadium is built is if it's multi-use indoor, so we can get the superbowl/ college b ball champ/ maybe even an NBA team eventually. I also think it wont be in downtown it will go up around Norwood lateral as the city population is expanding north this just makes more sense.  Or PBS will be given a 100-200million reno. New seats more seats, covering it up more making it more fan friendly etc.

Lucas Oil is fucking amazing, and IIRC the NFL basically guaranteed Indy the Super Bowl in exchange for putting the money into such a great facility. The city pulled off the event so well that they're already in the running for another one.

Cincinnati could absolutely pull off a SB with the right plan and facility. Indy did an awesome job.

Lucas Oil is fucking amazing, and IIRC the NFL basically guaranteed Indy the Super Bowl in exchange for putting the money into such a great facility. The city pulled off the event so well that they're already in the running for another one.

Cincinnati could absolutely pull off a SB with the right plan and facility. Indy did an awesome job.

I don't think Cincinnati will ever have the amount of hotels to pull off a Super Bowl.

NCAA HQ is in Indy.  Indy had a history of having major sporting events in it's city and a basic gaurantee of big events with a new stadium.

Cincinnati doesn't.   

Closing off both end zones with seats would work wonders.  So would fan education.  I can whistle LOUD with an acorn cap and have done so at games, but Bengals fans gave me the stink eye as it was a little too annoying for them. 

Jamie, Go, Dan, and I have been to M&T Bank Stadium and that place was unfuckingbelieveable.  Go scored some 100-level seats but we were underneath the concrete overhang and it was deafening. 

At another game, Jamie and I sat behind the end zone when Shayne hit like 7 field goals and we beat them 21-3 or something ridiculous.  It wasn't as loud that day since 1) the Bengals won and 2) we were more out in the open.  Ravens fans know how to make noise, though.

Last time I went to M&T Bank Stadium, the only person that was mad at me for making noise when the Ravens had the ball was another Bengals fan.  That said, the Ravens fans are some of the nicest people.  Never had any issues there,

Archived