IPAD Air

I'm going 64GB Ipad Air in November, and New Mac Pro at Christmas... Then Ramen in 2014.

ha ha.. no doubt..

The iPads are nice, i just have never really had the need for one. 

Almost always have my MBP with me and the iPhone is good enough for the rest.

If I had a good amount of disposable money, I would have one for sure though...

ha ha.. no doubt..

The iPads are nice, i just have never really had the need for one. 
Almost always have my MBP with me and the iPhone is good enough for the rest.
If I had a good amount of disposable money, I would have one for sure though...

I've hit a different life stream. I need the powerful desktop for working from home, but have found the pad replaces any need for a laptop. I hadn't used my MBP for a year when I gave it to my wife.

I've hit a different life stream. I need the powerful desktop for working from home, but have found the pad replaces any need for a laptop. I hadn't used my MBP for a year when I gave it to my wife.

Yea I totally get that an iPad can replace a laptop for some...

I also need the powerful desktop at home, but still find myself using my MBP when I'm not working.

My desktop is a Windows machine and I just like OSX so much more, maybe that has something to do with it.

it sounds ridiculous, however it makes a big difference, especially when using it one handed, like laying on your side or holding and scrolling, or holding and typing...

its a noticeable difference in that regard.

Exactly. The weightloss, while maintaining the build quality and not reverting to plastic like Samsung is in my book fantastic Engineering. 28% weight loss s quite remarkable and makes a big difference when you use the tablet on the couch or in bed.

I'm going to make some observations here. Full disclosure: I now work for Sprint in a preferred (franchise-type) retailer outlet. We also sell Apple products in addition to other shit. I'm also going to ask questions to try and get a better understanding of the business I have got myself into.

i-phones seem pretty cool but also seem just as much a fashion statement as a useful device to enrich your life, especially in conjunction with the accessories being sold (colored charging cables, $80 Lifeproof cases, the colors of the phones themselves...especially the i-Phone C, which is offered mostly in the most godawful pastel colors I have ever seen...who buys that shit?).

i-Phones seem to buck the trend of increasingly larger phones like the Note II and III, even the Moto-X and Razr HD Maxx are much larger phones...why did Apple opt to go so small with the i-phones? I thought the "going small" trend ended with Will Farrel's SNL character and his uber-small flip phone from years ago? And they are really expensive. What can they do that a really decent Android or Windows phone cannot do other than supposedly seamlessly connect to other Apple devices?

It seems to me in my limited experience that Apple throttles availability of their products to purposely drive up demand. For instance, since it's been explained to me that us, as a retailer, have to pay full price for these devices and only make it up on activation/commission paybacks from Sprint, we hardly carry squat in inventory. Of the Apple phones we sell, only the 4s is in inventory in anything greater than 8GB. The 5s and C are minimum 16GB phones so we have exactly ONE S and like three or four C's in stock in that range. If a customer comes in to buy a 32GB or 64GB phone, we have to order it and they have to come back and pick it up a day or too later (A VAD order). Frustrating for us and for them.

We have exactly ONE i-Pad mini in stock.

We are forced to put up signage by Sprint to advertise products that are allocated or that we will not stock and have to VAD for the customer...the $50 Samsung tablet (3??...it's really tiny anyway) comes to mind. We have HUGE signs for this thing and when it was rolled out we were given FOUR of them for five stores, we never got one, they promptly sold out and we got in ONE yesterday...which was then taken from my store by another store in the company so once again we have NONE. Seems crazy to continually advertise things you do not have.

Had a guy today upgraded to a Note III, saw the huge display for the "galaxy gear", which is essentially a James Bond watch for this enormous phone, wanted to buy, only to be told we couldn't get it yet. It's EXTREMELY frustrating.

Anyway, as for tablets...I still don't get the appeal over one of these tablet/huge phone/Note III combo deals...it seems they can do everything a tablet can and are more portable than them. Granted, they aren't an Apple product but I am yet trying to understand the ultimate appeal of paying such a dear premium for an Apple product in order to be in a constant state of connectivity to the OTHER Apple devices, laptops, etc you already own or may buy, also at a very dear price.

Somebody chime in here. There's more but I have to stop now.

the iphone 5s and 5c sold 9 million phones in one weekend. everyone "buys this shit". the first thing youll have to grasp, is that you are not the target market.

Second, people buy things for many reasons.

The iphone is the most user friendly and also the most reliable of any of the smartphones, 95% less crashing and freezing up, 99% less spamware apps in the app store.

that alone is the reason a good chunk get it.

you hate the colors, 5 million people fucking love the colors.

youll know within 5 seconds of selling to someone what they care about in a phone. I will actually have to PM you from work, i gotta roll... kids, bus, etc..and i gotta run inventotry this morning..  i think i can give you a full circle perspective on what you are asking...

I'm perfectly satisfied with my HP touch pad running CM9. My emachines laptop from late 2009 (cost me $280 new) with an upgraded processor (cost me $30) running windows 8 does everything I want it to. My desktop PC hat I built a few years ago (with a nice video card and a dual core AMD processor and a ssd hd ) running windows 8 does everything I throw at it. My Droid 2 struggles sometimes, but the majority of the time I don't have any issues.

People dropping $2k on a laptop, and constantly upgrading their phones and ipads, it all blows my mind.

I'm perfectly satisfied with my HP touch pad running CM9. My emachines laptop from late 2009 (cost me $280 new) with an upgraded processor (cost me $30) running windows 8 does everything I want it to. My desktop PC hat I built a few years ago (with a nice video card and a dual core AMD processor and a ssd hd ) running windows 8 does everything I throw at it. My Droid 2 struggles sometimes, but the majority of the time I don't have any issues.

People dropping $2k on a laptop, and constantly upgrading their phones and ipads, it all blows my mind.

its free to upgrade my phone everytime.. i can sell my iphone 5 for $300 right now, a 5s will cost me $200. I will profit from upgrading actually.. and my ipad is going for $300-350 currently, coupled with that $100 profit from the phone, im talking $50-150 for a new ipad.. depending what size i get.. so keeping my phone, i would lose money on the deal, profiting $100 on the phone annually is a good gig... and has nothing to do with working here... these product hold their value....

the laptop gets used a lot, capturing editing and exporting the bengals HD games for here, wifes photography stuff, graphic design stuff, Spent $1600 on it nearly 5 years ago, its worth $800 minimum today...i may get a grand for it though..

the new laptop will probably be close to $2800. but it will probably last me 6+ years....and ill have that $800-1000 from the old one, so roughly $2k net cost for something i use constantly...and lasts me forever... and holds its value like almost no other electronics....

i could probably be getting by with my old dell inspiron notebook, but i could also be getting by with a 27" tube TV... just dont want to...

having nice functional fast things is pleasing to people... i dont waste $300/mo at the bars, i have never had a car payment in my life, i spend on my house, family, electronics i like and traveling...

some folks ahve 4 cars and fix those up for entrtainment, electronics are no different... its like a hobby or form of entertainment

that part would blow my mind too, but I don't know anyone that really does that. Everyone I know waits until their contract is up and then get a new one. Then you can usually sell your old one for as much as you need to get the new one... I'm still rocking the 4s...

As for the computers... You get what you pay for IMO.. Mac's last longer(usually) and absolutely keep their value..

And since I have had my laptop...just touching one without the Apple trackpad is repulsive(kidding..a little)

to each their own.... I just wish I had the money to buy all the shit I really want....

lol...or just what Go said

Maybe that's part of it with our SprintOneUp program. with qualifying credit, you can get any phone we sell either as an upgrade to your existing contract or as part of a new contract for no money down and no interest on the phone. You just pay the tax on the device and walk out with it. The amortized, non-retail discounted price of the phone that's normally associated with buying into a new service agreement is now spread out over 24 months. And with this program you are eligible for an upgrade after only one year, so you never really pay full price for the device and can get  the latest and greatest after 12 months, but you do have to turn your "old" phone in is a "giveback" in order to keep that train rolling.

I am a sprint customer. I might have to take advantage of that. 

I am a sprint customer. I might have to take advantage of that. 

I do think that this particular Sprint program is a really good deal. You walk into a Sprint store, say you have good credit and are either done with your previous contract with a different carrier or are currently a Sprint customer in good standing. If your credit checks out, you can immediately upgrade to the best phone (or your favorite phone, or both) in the store that we have. Say it's an i-phone 5s 32GB and we sell it for $300 at the "if you sign on for a 2 year contract" price. If you qualify credit wise and are upgrade eligible, you can walk out of the store with that phone for just the sales tax on the phone. The $300 is then spread out onto your bill in 24 payments just for the phone. BUT, you also qualify for a $15 a month discount as well, so if you work the math and apply it to the "spread out" phone price (even thought the $15 discount is actually applied to your service plan), the phone is essentially free. And you can upgrade after only one year provided you turn the phone in upon upgrade to the new device.

I keep looking for loopholes in this upgrade plan and I cannot find them. For one line for a smartphone with unlimited data and everything it's $110 a month plus whatever your "financed" (and it really isn't financed because there's no interest being paid on the phone) cost is on your phone or, less the $15 discount. If you continually upgrade after only one year for the phone, you will NEVER pay the "full" (meaning the discounted, amortized "normal" cost of the device for regular two year plan customers) for the device itself and you remain on the bleeding edge of phone technology every year.

It seems like a good deal to me, but read the fine print in case I'm overlooking something as I am new to this game. This applies to EVERY phone we carry, including Apple products.

I do think that this particular Sprint program is a really good deal. You walk into a Sprint store, say you have good credit and are either done with your previous contract with a different carrier or are currently a Sprint customer in good standing. If your credit checks out, you can immediately upgrade to the best phone (or your favorite phone, or both) in the store that we have. Say it's an i-phone 5s 32GB and we sell it for $300 at the "if you sign on for a 2 year contract" price. If you qualify credit wise and are upgrade eligible, you can walk out of the store with that phone for just the sales tax on the phone. The $300 is then spread out onto your bill in 24 payments just for the phone. BUT, you also qualify for a $15 a month discount as well, so if you work the math and apply it to the "spread out" phone price (even thought the $15 discount is actually applied to your service plan), the phone is essentially free. And you can upgrade after only one year provided you turn the phone in upon upgrade to the new device.

I keep looking for loopholes in this upgrade plan and I cannot find them. For one line for a smartphone with unlimited data and everything it's $110 a month plus whatever your "financed" (and it really isn't financed because there's no interest being paid on the phone) cost is on your phone or, less the $15 discount. If you continually upgrade after only one year for the phone, you will NEVER pay the "full" (meaning the discounted, amortized "normal" cost of the device for regular two year plan customers) for the device itself and you remain on the bleeding edge of phone technology every year.

It seems like a good deal to me, but read the fine print in case I'm overlooking something as I am new to this game. This applies to EVERY phone we carry, including Apple products.

not exactly true..

the price that is spread out over 24 months, is the full retail price, not the upgrade eligible price, so the cost spread out over 24 months on a 32gb iphone 5s, would be $750, roughly $30-ish/mo. then you get the bill credit of $15, however you have to switch to a current plan to do this, the my way plans, if you have a previous plan you cannot just keep it and go on. the new plans are more expensive, the $15 credit makes it close to the same price, depending how many lines you have...

you cannot have your cake and eat it too, you dont get the promo pricing of $300 and get to spread it over 24 months and get a bill credit... 

you get to pick either the promo price, OR the defered payment option..

the one up program is only beneficial IF you plan on upgrading yearly, as you turn in your payment plan phone after the year and can upgrade again with a payment plan, if you dont do that, you are simply paying way more for your phone over 2 years instead of less upfront...(sucker move)

also, a donkey without a SSN could pass the credit check for the one up program... unless you owe sprint money or never pay your bill, you are eligible..

not exactly true..

the price that is spread out over 24 months, is the full retail price, not the upgrade eligible price, so the cost spread out over 24 months on a 32gb iphone 5s, would be $750, roughly $30-ish/mo. then you get the bill credit of $15, however you have to switch to a current plan to do this, the my way plans, if you have a previous plan you cannot just keep it and go on. the new plans are more expensive, the $15 credit makes it close to the same price, depending how many lines you have...

you cannot have your cake and eat it too, you dont get the promo pricing of $300 and get to spread it over 24 months and get a bill credit... 

you get to pick either the promo price, OR the defered payment option..

the one up program is only beneficial IF you plan on upgrading yearly, as you turn in your payment plan phone after the year and can upgrade again with a payment plan, if you dont do that, you are simply paying way more for your phone over 2 years instead of less upfront...(sucker move)

also, a donkey without a SSN could pass the credit check for the one up program... unless you owe sprint money or never pay your bill, you are eligible..

Eh you're right about the actual cost of the phone, I forgot it was the full retail price. But people actually don't have to change their plan though. If they are upgrade eligible while still in a current contract they can use the program and keep their old plan. Also not sure about a donkey passing the credit check. We gets lots of younger people that don't have bad credit they just don't have any credit and many of them don't qualify for the One Up plan and have to put down a $100-150 deposit AND get a $150 spending limit just to get into a two year contract, and then have to pay the amortized cost of the phone on top of that. There are a lot of non-bill paying rednecks too though. I'm amazed at how many people come into the store to pay their bill (has to be cash plus a fee) and they are paying just enough of their outstanding balance just to keep the damn phone on.

Eh you're right about the actual cost of the phone, I forgot it was the full retail price. But people actually don't have to change their plan though. If they are upgrade eligible while still in a current contract they can use the program and keep their old plan. Also not sure about a donkey passing the credit check. We gets lots of younger people that don't have bad credit they just don't have any credit and many of them don't qualify for the One Up plan and have to put down a $100-150 deposit AND get a $150 spending limit just to get into a two year contract, and then have to pay the amortized cost of the phone on top of that. There are a lot of non-bill paying rednecks too though. I'm amazed at how many people come into the store to pay their bill (has to be cash plus a fee) and they are paying just enough of their outstanding balance just to keep the damn phone on.

you do have to be on the my way plans to do the 1 up program. there MAY be a glitch allowing it on old plans, but it is required and the customer is going to very in a billing nightmare later...

otherwise it would be the best deal ever in the history of the world. getting $15/mo off the already cheapest plans in wireless..

as for credit, i forgot you were in hillbillyville , we sell phones to homeless people here.... literally homeless people...no joke..

I was running CM9 on my touchpad but started having some issues.  Recently I went to CM10 and it is running much smoother.

you do have to be on the my way plans to do the 1 up program. there MAY be a glitch allowing it on old plans, but it is required and the customer is going to very in a billing nightmare later...

otherwise it would be the best deal ever in the history of the world. getting $15/mo off the already cheapest plans in wireless..

as for credit, i forgot you were in hillbillyville , we sell phones to homeless people here.... literally homeless people...no joke..

I had a guy come in today to pay a 98 cent outstanding balance from his previous bill. He was extremely paranoid that his phone would be shut off because "He'd called Sprint and they told him so". I talked him out of it as it would have cost him $3 just to cash bill pay that 98 cents and told him that Sprint would just roll over the 98 cents onto his next bill. He left very uncertain. THESE are the kinds of people I am talking about that are meth-head scary.

I was running CM9 on my touchpad but started having some issues.  Recently I went to CM10 and it is running much smoother.

Thanks for the info. I read about CM10 a while back, didn't sound very polished at the time. I'd like to upgrade, but would hate to have to reinstall the 50+ apps we have installed for my almost three year old!

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a Gold iPhone 5S with 64GB. My wife has the iPhone 5. I have sitting by my computer an old iPhone 3, 4, and 4S. Next Oct I will get the iPhone 6 and give my wife my iPhone 5S. She will give me the old iPhone 5 to add to my collection. The following Oct, she gets to ORDER the iPhone 6S, when it comes in, I use it, and she will use the old iPhone 6S. 

It's a nice situation. You can upgrade every year to a new iPhone. I do wish Apple would make a little larger screen, BUT not too large. I want to be able to put the phone in my pocket and use it with one hand, not two.

I use to jailbreak my phones, but iOS 7 has so many apps that you can find on Cydia, I don't have plans to jailbreak my iPhone 5S when a jailbreak is found.

I currently have a Gold iPhone 5S with 64GB. My wife has the iPhone 5. I have sitting by my computer an old iPhone 3, 4, and 4S. Next Oct I will get the iPhone 6 and give my wife my iPhone 5S. She will give me the old iPhone 5 to add to my collection. The following Oct, she gets to ORDER the iPhone 6S, when it comes in, I use it, and she will use the old iPhone 6S. 

It's a nice situation. You can upgrade every year to a new iPhone. I do wish Apple would make a little larger screen, BUT not too large. I want to be able to put the phone in my pocket and use it with one hand, not two.

I use to jailbreak my phones, but iOS 7 has so many apps that you can find on Cydia, I don't have plans to jailbreak my iPhone 5S when a jailbreak is found.

Those old phones can be traded in for Apple Store gift cards:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/reuse_and_recycle

Archived