Both Gruden and Zimmer being interviewed for HC jobs (Multiple Merged Threads)

What's with people rooting against Zimmer getting a HC job?  

Don't get me wrong, I love the man to death and would be upset about not having him as our DC, but he has paid his dues and deserves to be an NFL head coach.

it's all about where your devotion lies, i guess. are you the type that's totally devoted to mike zimmer having a perfect career somewhere else? or instead, are you the type that is totally devoted to the bengals, with the thought that he might get that dream job here sometime in the future.

i put myself in the latter category, and have no shame admitting as much. yeah, that's what i root for.

understand this.... if/when he moves on, the cincinnati bengals are going to be worse off from that point forward. so, if that makes me selfish for wanting him to stay, i have no problem with you thinking that way of me.

it's all about where your devotion lies, i guess. are you the type that's totally devoted to mike zimmer having a perfect career somewhere else? or instead, are you the type that is totally devoted to the bengals, with the thought that he might get that dream job here sometime in the future.

i put myself in the latter category, and have no shame admitting as much. yeah, that's what i root for.

understand this.... if/when he moves on, the cincinnati bengals are going to be worse off from that point forward. so, if that makes me selfish for wanting him to stay, i have no problem with you thinking that way of me.

Exactly!  I will be happy for him if he gets a head coaching position this year, but I'm not going to cheer for it or hope for it!

Wow. If the rumors in this thread are true, I'm more torn than ever. IF Marvin moves into a front office roll after next season, it would seem likely they'd promote the next head coach from within. That would make it very difficult to choose between Zimmer who's been here forever, and Hue who's maybe the better head coaching candidate... How do you choose one without leaving the other feeling a touch shafted?

If Zimmer were to get the Vikings job, at least the path for the next head coach would be clear. Neither Guenther nor Schwartz (if he became DC here) could truly expect to be the next coach the way Hue and Zimmer could.

I'm not seeing much other than Zim is in the top 3 still and will get a 2nd interview.  I was really hoping SF would lose so Roman would be available.  SF winning means they can't offer Roman if he's their guy, right?  so if the 2nd interviews go down but no offer I assume it's Roman's to lose.  Isn't he the only guy on O to be a finalist?  You'd think (hope) they'd want an offensive guy to bring along a QB...

Edit:  I do see a ton of re-tweets form a Minn "Radio Personality" but none from anyone respectable.  Here's to hoping he's wrong....

Some rays of hope... no clue if these people have any insight.  Seems to be just speculation but I'll take it for now.

ProFootballCentral @PFCentral 1m

I can't confirm Zimmer to Vikings, however I can confirm he in en route to Minnesota. Could be for second interview tho.

I'm not seeing much other than Zim is in the top 3 still and will get a 2nd interview.  I was really hoping SF would lose so Roman would be available.  SF winning means they can't offer Roman if he's their guy, right?  so if the 2nd interviews go down but no offer I assume it's Roman's to lose.  Isn't he the only guy on O to be a finalist?  You'd think (hope) they'd want an offensive guy to bring along a QB...

Edit:  I do see a ton of re-tweets form a Minn "Radio Personality" but none from anyone respectable.  Here's to hoping he's wrong....

Dan Cole @CommonManKFAN? I'm reading some Minn forums and apparently this guy is the Vikings equivalent of Skip Bayless. Just throws shit at the wall to see if it sticks.

Fuck. Seeing lots of twitter chatter that it is indeed Zimmer in Minnesota.

By the way, not sold on Guenther as a replacement.

Why wouldn't you be sold on Guenther as a replacement?

He seems to be generating a little bit of a buzz around the league right now and, looking from the untrained eye, has seemed to do a very good job with our LB's.

So far he's helped coach Burfict into an All-Pro, helped Mays switch positions and become solid in his role, helped take an un-drafted tryout (Lamur) and made him into an extremely promising player for us over the next few years. He also has helped coach Vinny Rey, who was more than ready when his number was finally called. He's also been a head coach in much lower college ranks, but has been successful at that too.

I'm excited for him to get this promotion.

You have to start somewhere. I'm sure back in the day, there were people in Dallas who weren't expecting big things from Zimmer when he got the job.

Why wouldn't you be sold on Guenther as a replacement?

He seems to be generating a little bit of a buzz around the league right now and, looking from the untrained eye, has seemed to do a very good job with our LB's.

So far he's helped coach Burfict into an All-Pro, helped Mays switch positions and become solid in his role, helped take an un-drafted tryout (Lamur) and made him into an extremely promising player for us over the next few years. He also has helped coach Vinny Rey, who was more than ready when his number was finally called. He's also been a head coach in much lower college ranks, but has been successful at that too.

I'm excited for him to get this promotion.

You have to start somewhere. I'm sure back in the day, there were people in Dallas who weren't expecting big things from Zimmer when he got the job.

I agree.  It's a 180 from years ago where we had mid-to-high draft picks as LB that couldn't put it together.  Even excluding the Odell/Pollack draft fallout, we had quite a few mid-round LBs that never showed up on game day.   He's done more with less than previous LB coaches have done (see last 10 years of LBs drafted).  In fairness, that could be his doing or just better talent scouted, but his results are impressive with Lamur, Tez, Vinny Rey, Skuta, DiManche, Taylor Mays, etc.

2003 - Khalid Abdullah (5)

2004 - Caleb Miller (3),  Landon Johnson (3)

2005 – Pollack DE (1), Odell (2)

2006 - A. J. Nicholson (5)

2008 - Keith Rivers (1)

2009 - Rey Maualuga (2) resurrected career under Guenther

2010 - Roddrick Muckelroy (4)

2011 - Dontay Moch (3)

2013 - Sean Porter (4)

I agree.  It's a 180 from years ago where we had mid-to-high draft picks as LB that couldn't put it together.  Even excluding the Odell/Pollack draft fallout, we had quite a few mid-round LBs that never showed up on game day.   He's done more with less than previous LB coaches have done (see last 10 years of LBs drafted).  In fairness, that could be his doing or just better talent scouted, but his results are impressive with Lamur, Tez, Vinny Rey, Skuta, DiManche, Taylor Mays, etc.

2003 - Khalid Abdullah (5)

2004 - Caleb Miller (3),  Landon Johnson (3)

2005 – Pollack DE (1), Odell (2)

2006 - A. J. Nicholson (5)

2008 - Keith Rivers (1)

2009 - Rey Maualuga (2) resurrected career under Guenther

2010 - Roddrick Muckelroy (4)

2011 - Dontay Moch (3)

2013 - Sean Porter (4)

Pretty uninspiring list. I don't think any of them were disastrous except Moch (they took him over Justin Houston, Jurrell Casey, DeMarco Murray, Stevan Ridley, Shareece Wright... ugh). Rivers was solid, Caleb Miller had his moments, LJ was pretty good for a bit. Considering Marvin's track record, I'm pretty amazed they never developed a top tier LB until now.

Zimmer was going to move on at some point, We have a young guy on staff, with a pretty good track record, who is a hot-name in the coaching circles. it's not the worst problem to have. He could fall on his face, but we have enough talent defensively to mask that, i would assume. Anyway, as much as I liked Zimmer, we haven;t won a playoff game with him either.

Zimmer was going to move on at some point, We have a young guy on staff, with a pretty good track record, who is a hot-name in the coaching circles. it's not the worst problem to have. He could fall on his face, but we have enough talent defensively to mask that, i would assume. Anyway, as much as I liked Zimmer, we haven;t won a playoff game with him either.

This is where most people should be.  

Zim has done wonderful things here.  He's built a system, stocked it with talent, revitalized numerous players careers and put us in a good position for the future on that side of the ball.

His defenses have averaged 25 points against in 4 playoff appearances.  They have 3 sacks and 1 turnover in 4 games.  We shut down big names who have a wealth of tape on them and flounder against nobodies who run around playing back yard football.  We rack up multi-sack games against lesser opponents but allow 9 min drives when we need a stop the most.

There is PLENTY of room for improvement across the board on defense.  The consecutive high rankings are nice, but they are no consolation when we can't generate the splash plays at critical moments.  

Now that we are locked into a stout base D system, we need a new set of eyes to take these guys to the next level.  I love Zim's tenure and I won't be upset if he sticks around, but I am anxious to get some fresh blood calling the plays and this will be a welcome change in my book.

QB situation in Min is a mess. If Zim goes there he'll have his work cut out for him.

Mehh, I wouldn't say its a mess.  What we had after Carson went all bitch on us is a mess.  Cleveland has a mess.  Cassel is OK and only 31.  I don't think they have given up on Ponder yet but who knows.   They could draft their next "franchise" QB and he would have a decent Kitna type veteran in Cassel to get him up to speed.   Offense was ranked 13th which isn't a mess.

Defense, now that is a mess.  31st in yards, 32nd in points.

This is where most people should be.  

Zim has done wonderful things here.  He's built a system, stocked it with talent, revitalized numerous players careers and put us in a good position for the future on that side of the ball.

His defenses have averaged 25 points against in 4 playoff appearances.  They have 3 sacks and 1 turnover in 4 games.  We shut down big names who have a wealth of tape on them and flounder against nobodies who run around playing back yard football.  We rack up multi-sack games against lesser opponents but allow 9 min drives when we need a stop the most.

There is PLENTY of room for improvement across the board on defense.  The consecutive high rankings are nice, but they are no consolation when we can't generate the splash plays at critical moments.  

Now that we are locked into a stout base D system, we need a new set of eyes to take these guys to the next level.  I love Zim's tenure and I won't be upset if he sticks around, but I am anxious to get some fresh blood calling the plays and this will be a welcome change in my book.

I can go either way on it, but I am not going to lose sleep over it either. If our D somehow tanks next year, I doubt Marvin's contract will be renewed and we will be starting over anyway.

In my estimation, next year, in many ways, will be the final frontier for this current core. Dalton's contract is up next year, Marvin's contract is up next year. if there is no improvement, or even regression from this season, I don't see MB giving Lewis another contract, and with that, a new coach may not want Dalton back either. Guenther should be able to hold his own with that defense for 1 year.  

Re: my comment on Guenther, I guess with a defense as good as this one already, I would prefer a DC who has coordinated before over a guy who never has. Also, and this isn't rational, I submit, I was wholly unimpressed with Guenther during his on camera stuff on hard knocks.

Its a simple question:  Would losing Zimmer help, hurt or have no effect on the defense short and long term?

I think it is HIGHLY unlikely it helps the team going forward.

I think the defense will be OK short term.

I think it hurts the defense longer term.

Just my opinion.   

I can go either way on it, but I am not going to lose sleep over it either. If our D somehow tanks next year, I doubt Marvin's contract will be renewed and we will be starting over anyway.

In my estimation, next year, in many ways, will be the final frontier for this current core. Dalton's contract is up next year, Marvin's contract is up next year. if there is no improvement, or even regression from this season, I don't see MB giving Lewis another contract, and with that, a new coach may not want Dalton back either. Guenther should be able to hold his own with that defense for 1 year.  

IMO you are right on Marvin. It's not much more than a gut feeling or sentiment I've seen around here. But I think he's gone after this year. 

As far as players go, that core isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There may be a change at QB if Dalton fails next year. Besides that though, the team is pretty set.

Archived