Both Gruden and Zimmer being interviewed for HC jobs (Multiple Merged Threads)

IMO you are right on Marvin. It's not much more than a gut feeling or sentiment I've seen around here. But I think he's gone after this year. 

As far as players go, that core isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There may be a change at QB if Dalton fails next year. Besides that though, the team is pretty set.

I think it all depends on how the team does.  If we make a run and do something crazy like win an AFC Championship, I doubt he is gone.  

Miss the playoffs or go one and done, yeah,  I could see him leave.

Its a simple question:  Would losing Zimmer help, hurt or have no effect on the defense short and long term?

I think it is HIGHLY unlikely it helps the team going forward.

I think the defense will be OK short term.

I think it hurts the defense longer term.

Just my opinion.   

The talent level before and after Zimmer is night and day. Whomever takes over after Zimmer will have an abundance of talent, compared to the 2008 defense that he inherited. Zimmer did not have guys like Dunlap, Nelson, Geno, Burfict, Rey, Lamur, etc.

here is the starting lineup going into week 1 in 2008 for Zimmer:

DE- A. Odom

DT- Peko

DT- Thornton

DE- Geathers

OLB- Rivers

MLB- D. Jones

OLB- Jeanty

CB- Hall

CB- Joseph

S- Dexter Jackson

S- Marvin White

I count 3 out of 11 who could start on our defense now (including Hall and Peko). Night and day.

The talent level before and after Zimmer is night and day. Whomever takes over after Zimmer will have an abundance of talent, compared to the 2008 defense that he inherited. Zimmer did not have guys like Dunlap, Nelson, Geno, Burfict, Rey, Lamur, etc.

here is the starting lineup going into week 1 in 2008 for Zimmer:

DE- A. Odom

DT- Peko

DT- Thornton

DE- Geathers

OLB- Rivers

MLB- D. Jones

OLB- Jeanty

CB- Hall

CB- Joseph

S- Dexter Jackson

S- Marvin White

I count 3 out of 11 who could start on our defense now (including Hall and Peko). Night and day.

While what you posted may be true you need to take a good look on how they managed to get that talent AND develop it.

Burfict was an undrafted FA

Newman was a "washed up" corner at Dallas (1st rounder)

Atkins was a fourth rounder.

Dunlap was  second rounder

Michael Johnson third rounder

Rey Mag a second rounder

Adam Jones a troubled suspension magnet nobody wanted (1st rounder)

George Iloka 5th rounder

Reggie Nelson was practically run out of Jacksonville with Jags fans laughing at taking their "bust". (1st rounder)

Vinny Rey, undrafted

Crocker on the sofa

Gillberry, undrafted

Dre was our only internal 1st rounder (chose while Zim here) and he doesn't start.

SF has 7 1st rounders starting on defense, 3 3rds and a 5th rounder.  

What Zimmer has accomplished with washed up players, former busts, players NOBODY wanted and mostly mid draft talent is remarkable.  By the way, he took that crappy talent you posted, a unit that was ranked 27th in the league in 2007 and made them the 12th ranked defense in 2008.

While what you posted may be true you need to take a good look on how they managed to get that talent AND develop it.

Burfict was an undrafted FA

Newman was a "washed up" corner at Dallas (1st rounder)

Atkins was a fourth rounder.

Dunlap was  second rounder

Michael Johnson third rounder

Rey Mag a second rounder

Adam Jones a troubled suspension magnet nobody wanted (1st rounder)

George Iloka 5th rounder

Reggie Nelson was practically run out of Jacksonville with Jags fans laughing at taking their "bust". (1st rounder)

Vinny Rey, undrafted

Crocker on the sofa

Gillberry, undrafted

Dre was our only internal 1st rounder (chose while Zim here) and he doesn't start.

SF has 7 1st rounders starting on defense, 3 3rds and a 5th rounder.  

What Zimmer has accomplished with washed up players, former busts, players NOBODY wanted and mostly mid draft talent is remarkable.  By the way, he took that crappy talent you posted, a unit that was ranked 27th in the league in 2007 and made them the 12th ranked defense in 2008.

All true.

And in fact, that list argues for Zimmer getting some better draft pick power, rather than just turning lemons into lemonade.  For as solid as this defense has become playing Zimmer's brand of disciplined, scheme-first football, what it continues to lack are real playmakers.  Those are the guys who make the difference, especially when you are talking about big games.

Depending on how FA plays out with our offensive line, I could see us only taking one or two offensive players in this draft with the rest defenders.

All true.

And in fact, that list argues for Zimmer getting some better draft pick power, rather than just turning lemons into lemonade.  For as solid as this defense has become playing Zimmer's brand of disciplined, scheme-first football, what it continues to lack are real playmakers.  Those are the guys who make the difference, especially when you are talking about big games.

Depending on how FA plays out with our offensive line, I could see us only taking one or two offensive players in this draft with the rest defenders.

Yeah, I did forget that Rivers was chosen in the first round when Zimmer first got here.  Fuck Hines Ward.

Seattle's D didn't seem to fall off much after losing their coordinator last year. ML has already said it, there is a system In place and the next guy will be coaching within that system.

There is a core of solid players here, I laugh at the notion that they would fall apart without Zim. AD set team records this year but were all excited to have a new coach to refine his game and do the things necessary to get him over the hump. The same can apply to this D. Seems to me guys may be a bit complacent in the scheme and a couple new tweaks could be what we need to get the game changing pressures and turnovers with more regularity.

Or you know, we can all ignore the fact that we dread playing rookie 6th round QBs starting behind two undrafted FAs on their line.

Seattle's D didn't seem to fall off much after losing their coordinator last year. ML has already said it, there is a system In place and the next guy will be coaching within that system.

There is a core of solid players here, I laugh at the notion that they would fall apart without Zim. AD set team records this year but were all excited to have a new coach to refine his game and do the things necessary to get him over the hump. The same can apply to this D. Seems to me guys may be a bit complacent in the scheme and a couple new tweaks could be what we need to get the game changing pressures and turnovers with more regularity.

Or you know, we can all ignore the fact that we dread playing rookie 6th round QBs starting behind two undrafted FAs on their line.

I don't think it would fall apart short term.  What has amazed me with Zimmer is his ability to plug in orphans and average players and make them play great.  Guy just has an eye for talent which is an art.

I don't think it would fall apart short term.  What has amazed me with Zimmer is his ability to plug in orphans and average players and make them play great.  Guy just has an eye for talent which is an art.

No disagreement there, its been nothing short of amazing as far as I'm concerned. But I'm inclined to look on the bright side and some new blood may be what we need for the D to really stand up and punch a team in the mouth when all the cards are on the table.

No disagreement there, its been nothing short of amazing as far as I'm concerned. But I'm inclined to look on the bright side and some new blood may be what we need for the D to really stand up and punch a team in the mouth when all the cards are on the table.

I think it's a crazy thought that this defense could in any way be better by losing Zimmer.

I think it's a crazy thought that this defense could in any way be better by losing Zimmer.

It definitely could. Start infusing the defense with playmakers drafter in the first couple of rounds (specifically safety). I'd also draft an edge rusher, a la Bruce Irvin. There is definite room for improvement, with or without Zimmer.

I just heard on the Mo Egger show that "multiple outlets" are reporting that ..."Zimmer is the leading candidate for the Minnesota HC job..."

FWIW...

yea I think its been like that awhile now.  Sounds like they're interested in Roman from San Fran though, or the deal would already be done.

I wonder what it is about Zimmer that other teams don't like about him as an HC candidate? He arguably should have been an HC by now, particularly ahead of someone like Gruden. I wonder if it's his abrasiveness?

I think the two biggies are that he's not young, and he's not an offensive genius who develops quarterbacks. He's the guy who can build a defensive Sherman Tank with parts pulled from a junkyard, but he doesn't design Formula 1 offenses.

I think the two biggies are that he's not young, and he's not an offensive genius who develops quarterbacks. He's the guy who can build a defensive Sherman Tank with parts pulled from a junkyard, but he doesn't design Formula 1 offenses.

Yeah, maybe that's it, which would explain why Gruden just got an HC job after being a relative nobody in the NFL prior to his job with the Bengals (well, that and Snyder is an idiot!) and Mike still hasn't been given a shot. But to me, a good HC is first and foremost a leader of men, and Zimmer is certainly that. He can have his coordinators call plays so I'm not sure why "not being an offensive genius" is such an obstacle. For instance, Billick was considered an offensive genius coming out of Minnesota but presided over arguably the best defense in the NFL with the Ravens (while their offensive output was pretty modest)...the same could be said of Marvin in reverse, at least until Zimmer got here. 

I hope we hire Ray Horton if Zimmer leaves. I know he runs a 3/4 and we definitely have the personnel to run that scheme. He has done a phenomenal job at both Arizona and Cleveland. and he is a former Bengal. I would stay far away from Schwartz.

in what way do the Bengals have the personnel for a 3-4?

Was reading up on the wisenhunt thing and saw this:

Once he was finished, Whisenhunt strengthened his bond with the Titans as talks moved toward a potential deal. Earlier Monday, Titans CEO Tommy Smith brought Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to Houston for a second interview.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10288995

??

Thought Zim was in Minnesota?? This is good news if Zim truly was is Houston for a second round interview with Tenn.

Archived