Gruden to Redskins

Love this post. CK had 11 games with less than 200 yards throwing this year. People act like we missed out on Aaron Rodgers.

I mentioned it elsewhere, but I think many overlook the fact that Newton, Wilson, and Kaepernick were 30th, 31st, and 32nd, respectively, in pass attempts this season.

Their teams protect them with strong running games.  Running games that were 7th, 2nd, and 3rd in rushing attempts this season.

Love this post. CK had 11 games with less than 200 yards throwing this year. People act like we missed out on Aaron Rodgers.

He was also missing Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham most of the season.   Jim Douchebaugh had to beg his big brother for Boldin who ended up being the #1 receiver most of the year.

BTW, if Frank Gore is on your team, YOU RUN THE BALL. 

As much as I hate Harbaugh, Jim....he is a good coach.  

What? 

I love how people act as if once a team starts getting to the postseason and losing, all you have to do is swap out one player, magically teleport to the next year's playoffs and start winning.  To chastise AD for 3 poor playoff performances in a row means you tacitly recognize his franchise best 3 consecutive regular seasons that resulted in playoff appearances.  We didn't win a fucking raffle for the playoffs, instead for the first time in the history of the franchise we were one of the 6 best teams after 16 weeks for 3 consecutive years.

CK still, 3 years into his career, can't sit in the pocket and go through 3 reads.  It is one, maybe two, roll out to his right and run.  And that is with one of the best run games in the league.  If we drafted him he would be a mobile Kyle Boller.  The guy who can throw a football through a brick wall 50 yards away, but can't win in the league because it takes more than a strong arm, it takes a team.

BTW CK's team was 2 fumbled punts away from the superbowl in 2011.  Alex Smith is arguably the polar opposite of Kapernick and if his jack-ass KR could have held onto the football they likely beat the Giants and play in the superbowl.  But in 2012 Smith gets hurt and Kap takes the team to the exact same place but gets all the glory because instead of a bone-head play by a teammate that loses the game, Navarro Bowman gets away with blatant interference on the final play and seal the victory over the Falcons?  That is absurd.  CK is a phenomenal athlete that is riding the coat-tails of a great team.

How are we set back?  What then are the Titans who drafted a QB 20 picks before us and fired their coach this year?  The Vikings who did the same thing?

As far as I see it we are primed (because of Andy and the rest of our team) to win another 10-12 games and take a crack at the post season again.  Our problem has been and continues to be poor team performances when it matters most.  I want to believe this move with Gruden leaving and Hue stepping in is a good way to bolster the half of our team who has struggled the most in these critical games.  But lest we forget our pride and joy defense...them and their 25.6 points allowed per game (would be good for #24 in the league this year), 3 sacks and 1 turnover in 3 playoff games.  If only they had a Colin Kapernick to force turnovers and dictate the field, just think of how great we could be.

Bravo :41:

Quick Takes: On Gruden, Hue and Bengals

January, 9, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

A few quick observations from Thursday's news that Jay Gruden is leaving the Cincinnati Bengals for Washington, and that he will be replaced as offensive coordinator by Hue Jackson:
  1. With respect to Jackson being promoted, I like this move.
  2. I like this move so much that as you can see in this particular blog, I believe the Bengals' entire offense will benefit from the switch. It was clear after a third-straight postseason failure that some change needed to come. In my opinion, personnel wasn't the issue. The scheme, mainly when it came to the postseason, was the issue. While Gruden had good game plans for the regular season, he just didn't draft up the same blueprints -- or have enough confidence in them, at least -- for the postseason. That really was the Bengals' only offensive problem. In some cases, the type of offensive ineptitude the Bengals showed the past three playoff appearances would lead to calls for the head coach or offensive coordinator to be fired. (Actually, those calls have come anyway). With owner Mike Brown in control, though, you knew head coach Marvin Lewis wouldn't be let go. But if a change needed to occur, Gruden might have made for the perfect scapegoat to get fired. For that reason, think of this particular offensive coordinator switch as a much cleaner change than the alternative.
  3. This change ought to promote an added emphasis on the run. In the past three playoff games, the Bengals handed off to their running backs on just 25 percent of all the plays they have run. That is far from balance. During this past regular season they were closer, running the ball with their running backs on 36.3 percent of all plays. With Jackson's reputation as a coach who likes to run, and another season of BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Giovani Bernard playing together, expect Cincinnati to get back, in both the regular and postseasons, to the running game.
  4. It was smart for the Bengals to promote from within. As is the case with any type of coaching change, the Bengals will need a little time to adapt to a new system. The good thing for them, though, is that with a coach who was already on staff, the terminology shouldn't need changing. The same types of calls and checks that were used under Gruden can remain under Jackson. Even though some things will get tweaked, the foundation of what the Bengals will try to get done shouldn't.
  5. Another reason it was smart to promote from within and to do it so quickly? Because Cincinnati could be losing a second assistant in the coming days or weeks in defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. The longtime assistant could be headed to Minnesota or Tennessee as a head coach, and you have to imagine the Bengals would rather hire from outside for one position and not two. By adding Jackson right now, it gives them a chance fully focus on Zimmer's replacement if and when that time comes.
  6. Lastly, I must say this about Jay. I like him. A lot. He's one of the calmest, funniest, most even-keeled personalities I've met in my brief time covering the NFL. Don't get me wrong, he can be an intense guy -- that's a gene that football coaches are apparently born with -- but he's not his brother. You'll see Jay Gruden get angry, but you won't see that same glare that former Tampa Bay and Oakland coach and current ESPN analyst Jon Gruden often had. I also genuinely believe Jay Gruden is a good coach. One of the things he'll have to do in Washington is make sure to trust his gut and instincts. The moment he second-guesses himself or starts over-thinking, he's in trouble. It will be interesting following this chapter in his coaching career. I wish him all the best.

What a fucking breath of fresh air this guy is. Some of you should try breathing it in, instead of that crack you've been smoking for far too long.  Or just read this guy, my first 2014 Post of the Year (there will be many):

What? 

I love how people act as if once a team starts getting to the postseason and losing, all you have to do is swap out one player, magically teleport to the next year's playoffs and start winning.  To chastise AD for 3 poor playoff performances in a row means you tacitly recognize his franchise best 3 consecutive regular seasons that resulted in playoff appearances.  We didn't win a fucking raffle for the playoffs, instead for the first time in the history of the franchise we were one of the 6 best teams after 16 weeks for 3 consecutive years.

CK still, 3 years into his career, can't sit in the pocket and go through 3 reads.  It is one, maybe two, roll out to his right and run.  And that is with one of the best run games in the league.  If we drafted him he would be a mobile Kyle Boller.  The guy who can throw a football through a brick wall 50 yards away, but can't win in the league because it takes more than a strong arm, it takes a team.

BTW CK's team was 2 fumbled punts away from the superbowl in 2011.  Alex Smith is arguably the polar opposite of Kapernick and if his jack-ass KR could have held onto the football they likely beat the Giants and play in the superbowl.  But in 2012 Smith gets hurt and Kap takes the team to the exact same place but gets all the glory because instead of a bone-head play by a teammate that loses the game, Navarro Bowman gets away with blatant interference on the final play and seal the victory over the Falcons?  That is absurd.  CK is a phenomenal athlete that is riding the coat-tails of a great team.

How are we set back?  What then are the Titans who drafted a QB 20 picks before us and fired their coach this year?  The Vikings who did the same thing?

As far as I see it we are primed (because of Andy and the rest of our team) to win another 10-12 games and take a crack at the post season again.  Our problem has been and continues to be poor team performances when it matters most.  I want to believe this move with Gruden leaving and Hue stepping in is a good way to bolster the half of our team who has struggled the most in these critical games.  But lest we forget our pride and joy defense...them and their 25.6 points allowed per game (would be good for #24 in the league this year), 3 sacks and 1 turnover in 3 playoff games.  If only they had a Colin Kapernick to force turnovers and dictate the field, just think of how great we could be.

Bravo X2.

As soon as Bad Andy shows up,  Hue Jackson=incompetent fool.

Naw, the only incompetent fool around here is you.

Nice to see the team directly contradicting virtually everything you've said. 

Still, I'm sure we'll still get countless one word posts from, you attempting to provoke so you can yet again pull others' attempts at meaningful discussions down to the Bevis and Butthead level of discourse that makes you so comfortable. 

Speaking of Zeitler, he's case 1A against Alexander. Well actually, he's case 1Z after the 25 other head scratchers Alexander is responsible for.  Here's a guy who many had graded as one of the highest rated guards to come out, who played quite dominantly when he first became a Bengal, and has basically done nothing but regress under Alexander's tutelage.  

It's time to upgrade Alexander.

Speaking of Zeitler, he's case 1A against Alexander. Well actually, he's case 1Z after the 25 other head scratchers Alexander is responsible for.  Here's a guy who many had graded as one of the highest rated guards to come out, who played quite dominantly when he first became a Bengal, and has basically done nothing but regress under Alexander's tutelage.  

It's time to upgrade Alexander.

can we stop acting like the oline is some kind of atrocity?  They finished 3rd best in sacks allowed.

The running game needs some fixing, but its not all on the oline.  BJGE is average, Gio dances too much at times, and the previous coordinator was known to abandon the run even when it was working.  

(That said, Zeitler was a slight disappointment this year, but its lazy to assume it was all coaching).

can we stop acting like the oline is some kind of atrocity?  They finished 3rd best in sacks allowed.

The running game needs some fixing, but its not all on the oline.  BJGE is average, Gio dances too much at times, and the previous coordinator was known to abandon the run even when it was working.  

(That said, Zeitler was a slight disappointment this year, but its lazy to assume it was all coaching).

If there's one thing I can't be accused of on here, it's lazy, so you should really think twice before saying the first thing that comes to your mouth.  THAT'S lazy.

As for the line, EVERYTHING starts with the run game.  We continued to have the fastest release in football, so the sack stats is totally retarded (the ole eyeball test of watching Andy get pressured, especially in the games that counted - and against good D-fronts - is much more telling).  But it still comes down to the way the game is played.  A dominant run-blocking line opens everything else up - and also offers you the option of not taking the risky passes when you can just keep running it.

We were the fifth worse team in the league in YPC - and that's while throwing the ball an inordinate amount of time.

When this team crumbles, it always starts with our line. Sure, our QB's get rattled and then take the blame, but it's the line that's responsible for the inconsistent identity of this team more than anything.

So yeah, I would be stoked to kick Alexander to the curb.

If there's one thing I can't be accused of on here, it's lazy, so you should really think twice before saying the first thing that comes to your mouth.  THAT'S lazy.

As for the line, EVERYTHING starts with the run game.  We continued to have the fastest release in football, so the sack stats is totally retarded (the ole eyeball test of watching Andy get pressured, especially in the games that counted - and against good D-fronts - is much more telling).  But it still comes down to the way the game is played.  A dominant run-blocking line opens everything else up - and also offers you the option of not taking the risky passes when you can just keep running it.

We were the fifth worse team in the league in YPC - and that's while throwing the ball an inordinate amount of time.

When this team crumbles, it always starts with our line. Sure, our QB's get rattled and then take the blame, but it's the line that's responsible for the inconsistent identity of this team more than anything.

So yeah, I would be stoked to kick Alexander to the curb.

Couldn't agree more. Our O-Line is vastly overrated. The only guy on the line I would say had a good year was Whitworth. 

And if you want to talk stats, here's another one:

9 of the 12 playoff teams were in the top half of the league in YPC.  The three teams that weren't were NO, SD, and us (we were obviously last)., but NO and SD are pass-first teams with the 2nd and 3rd rated QB's in the league. 

That leaves us.

I'm curious what the fans from our Nations Capitol think about this? Are they on board?

If they read this board they would rightly be shitting bricks!

Redskins: On Jay Gruden's thin resume

January, 9, 2014
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

The Washington Redskins announced Jay Gruden as their new head coach Thursday morning. In the moments that followed, I heard several versions of the same assessment among NFL types who tried to explain the decision: Gruden might be a better head coach with the Redskins than he was during his occasionally criticized run as offensive coordinator with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Well then. I can think of no better way to express my own ambivalence about this hire than to pass along the hope that Gruden will perform better in a job necessitating more responsibility and stronger leadership than the one he carried out to mixed results over the past three years. His quick rise -- as late as 2010, he was coaching in the Arena Football League -- speaks to a number of factors unrelated to his specific aptitude for this job.

Among them:
  • Let's get it out of the way: Gruden is the younger brother of ESPN analyst Jon Gruden, a Super Bowl-winning coach long thought to be an object of Redskins owner Dan Snyder's affections. If his last name were different, would Jay Gruden have been a candidate in Snyder's eyes? It's a question worth asking.The work Jay Gruden, right, did with Bengals QB Andy Dalton provides reasons for optimism and a few red flags for Washington.
  • The Redskins clearly weren't looking to overhaul their operation after firing Mike Shanahan, a plan that might have disqualified some stronger candidates. Early reports suggest that defensive coordinator Jim Haslett will be retained and that tight ends coach Sean McVay could be promoted to offensive coordinator.
  • NFL teams are desperate for the profile Gruden provides: A relatively young, offense-minded coach who has had success with young quarterbacks. He is 46 with a goofy personality, based on his appearances last summer on HBO's "Hard Knocks," and his offense ranked 10th in the NFL in scoring (24.3 points per game) over the past three seasons. During that period, the Bengals won 30 of 48 regular-season games in the first three years of quarterback Andy Dalton's career.

Gruden's work with Dalton is an illustration of the genuine ambivalence surrounding this hiring. While Dalton had plenty of NFL success relative to other quarterbacks in their first three seasons, his poor playoff performances reflect limited growth and development -- part of the responsibility of a coaching staff. So should Gruden be praised for running a playoff-caliber offense with a limited quarterback? Or does Dalton's apparent plateau suggest a threshold for Gruden's abilities?

I asked those questions of Matt Williamson, who studies NFL personnel for ESPN.com. Williamson noted that most of the Bengals' talented offense was collected during Gruden's tenure, often to his specifications, and seemed part of what he viewed as a plan to surround an average quarterback with superior weapons.

"I think he maximized Dalton," Williamson said. "That's a feather in his cap. Dalton was especially good in the red zone, and that's a reflection of the playcaller. You could make an argument that Dalton is a guy that entered the league with very, very average tools. I think they have coached him up to his max.

"When you look at those spurts where he was awful, a lot of it was decision-making. I'm not sure I can kill a coach for Dalton thinking he has a bigger arm and more tools than he does. He's trying to make throws he can't make. That's a bad decision and on him not knowing who he is."

In some cases, however, Gruden seemed to put too much faith in Dalton. Trailing by seven points entering the fourth quarter last week against the San Diego Chargers, for instance, Gruden ignored the running game and called for Dalton to throw 31 passes in a game he already was struggling in. That decision is part of why the Bengals' season ended once again in disappointing fashion.

Gruden's hire had me thinking back to a few years ago, when Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery said that the first criteria for any hire he makes is excellence in the candidate's current job. It is a simple but perfect way to put the uncomfortable discussion we're having here.

Was Jay Gruden an excellent offensive coordinator? Did he earn a job as an NFL head coach? I'm not sure about the former, and if we're now projecting better performances in more difficult jobs, then I'm not sure the latter even matters.

Jay Gruden offers hope and concern

January, 9, 2014
By John Keim | ESPN.com

This is the best hire the Washington Redskins could have made. That’s what some who know Jay Gruden say. He’s reserved and bright, they say. He’s an excellent motivator, others say. His relationship with general manager Bruce Allen will soften any tension that could arise with owner Dan Snyder. Look what he did with Andy Dalton, they say.

“I would have hired him,” one former general manager said.

This is not nearly the best hire the Washington Redskins could have made. That's what the skeptics say: There’s nothing special about him; his last name paved the way. Look what he did with Andy Dalton in the playoffs, they say.

“I like him, but his offense wasn’t more creative than any other coordinator out there,” one NFL defensive coach said. “If his last name wasn’t Gruden, we wouldn’t be talking about him.”

When it comes to the Redskins’ new coach, there’s a split opinion, and it makes this one of the more unusual hires they have made. Yes, he has a last name everyone knows. But it was his brother Jon Gruden’s success that made it a big name, not Jay's own success. In the past, all but one of the coaches hired by owner Dan Snyder was a big name.

But when it came to this coaching search, there was no big name left to hire. Bill Cowher wasn’t coming out of retirement. Nor was Jon Gruden. And no coach in this field had that wow factor the Redskins often gravitate toward (with the exception of Jim Zorn).

That doesn’t mean it’s a bad hire. We also don’t know if it’s a good one. There’s a chance it could be excellent. But one coach said several days ago that Jay Gruden does an excellent job of getting players to buy into his system. If that’s the case, it will be welcomed. While quarterback Robert Griffin III might have run the last system, it’s clear he did not buy into it. Others did, but if Gruden can sell this to them, as well, that will be a good start.

His Bengals offense sputtered in the playoffs, averaging 11 points per game the past three years -- all one-and-done showings. That’s not good. Nor is the fact that he was knocked for getting away from the run each time. But one thing I’ve learned over the years is not to judge a potential head coach by what his offense did when he was a coordinator.

Being a head coach incorporates so much more. It’s about leadership and command of the room much more than system. It’s about hiring the right people on your staff, and promoting tight ends coach Sean McVay to offensive coordinator will be viewed by many on the roster as the right move. We’ll see where Gruden goes defensively, and that will be worth watching.

It was telling this morning that retired linebacker London Fletcher, knowing Jim Haslett was still around, tweeted this: “Defensive struggles where not solely on salary cap #excuses #blahblahblah” and this: “I think [Raheem] Morris as DC would be great choice! Brings energy & excitement! Would feel pretty good about HC, DC, & OC then!”

I’ve seen too many Redskins hires under Snyder to fully know if this one will work. There are parts to like and wonder about. Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan -- three of the all-time winningest coaches in NFL history -- all have failed to build consistent winners.

I know the opinions on Gruden from the people I spoke to throughout this search were as diverse as any.

But I also know of the candidates available, perhaps Gruden was the best fit. To have the familiarity he does with Allen and others on the staff will help. Gruden knows what he’s getting into, not just with Snyder but with the market and the entire organization. The fact that a relationship already exists will matter; Gruden needs to trust whatever he’s been told and to know how he must operate in regards to ownership. Here’s a tip: Keep Snyder involved -- and that doesn't always mean allowing him to meddle -- and win. Then he will be happy.

It will also help the Redskins and Gruden to avoid the leaking of stories that hurt the franchise since early December -- and in past years. The organization needs to rebuild a trust, not only with certain players (Griffin), but with the fans. As tired as everyone at Redskins Park was about the leaks, it’s probably quadruple for the fans, who thought that two decades of mediocre to bad football -- and needless drama under Snyder -- had finally ended after last year’s playoff run. A low-key guy has to help here, right? You would think.

Gruden is also tight with the Redskins’ director of football operations Paul Kelly, an understated but important aspect because of how closely the two must work.

There are a lot of reasons this has to work, for many people -- including Allen (who was at the forefront of this hire) and Griffin (who clashed with Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan). It's their jobs, their reputations on the line here.

What I also know is that this hire will shape the franchise for a long time. That’s obviously the case whenever you hire a coach. But it’s even more true now because of Griffin. They have a young head coach; they have a young quarterback. It’s boom-or-bust time.

Naw, the only incompetent fool around here is you.

Nice to see the team directly contradicting virtually everything you've said. 

Still, I'm sure we'll still get countless one word posts from, you attempting to provoke so you can yet again pull others' attempts at meaningful discussions down to the Bevis and Butthead level of discourse that makes you so comfortable.

Your boy that you chose to protect all year with slanted analysis isn't meaningful discussion.

Couldn't agree more. Our O-Line is vastly overrated. The only guy on the line I would say had a good year was Whitworth. 

Then you would be uninformed.

This is what these Dalton Defenders do.    Every step of the way they are wrong and instead of just admitting they suck.   They take the absolute proof of failure and spin away at it.

Read this board.     AJ is a problem.   The OC that just left for a head coaching position was a problem.   Our o-line which received praise as among the best from multiple analyst is now vastly overrated.

Stop the madness.    It's Dalton that carries the burden to either improve or be replaced.   

LOL. Welcome to the limelight Jay.

And you thought Cincy was a tough crowd!

Yeah sucks to be him.    He'll work 3 years and get paid for 5.

Synder is a bigger crutch than Mike Brown. 

Your boy that you chose to protect all year with slanted analysis isn't meaningful discussion.

I've simply said let's fix our inconsistent O-Line and questionable play calling before we lay all criticism at the feat of our QB, who, though he has some serious warts, has also shown the capability of playing at an elite level. 

So far I've gotten one of my two wishes.  Other than a bunch of heart-burn from all of those chili dogs, you got nothin' - except maybe a pie in the face.

I've simply said let's fix our inconsistent O-Line and questionable play calling before we lay all criticism at the feat of our QB, who, though he has some serious warts, has also shown the capability of playing at an elite level. 

So far I've gotten one of my two wishes.  Other than a bunch of heart-burn from all of those chili dogs, you got nothin' - except maybe a pie in the face.

Biggest opportunity for improvement is the QB. 

Any disagreement with that? 

It's Dalton that carries the burden to either improve or be replaced.  

No one disagrees with that. 

But what those equipped with a few brains cells to rub together also recognize is that finding a scapegoat for systemic problems is the stuff of a simplistic mind. 

2014, the last of Dalton's current contract, will be his chance to prove himself. The team just took a clearly orchestrated step in the right direction to get him there.

He has been the same the last 3 years. Was the O line and playcalling poor all 3?

Biggest opportunity for improvement is the QB. 

Any disagreement with that? 

Absolutely. 

Biggest opportunity for improvement starts with better playcalling and establishing an effective running game, allowing you take pressure of your QB who tries to do too much.

THEN go work on your QB.  And that work has nothing to do with his physical set, but getting inside of his head and bringing him back down to earth. 

If it doesn't work out, we start fresh in 2015, either with a FA or draft pick.

This team is gradually improving, and the changing of the guard at OC was yet another step.

Archived