Gruden to Redskins

I think changes are coming hue is not a west coast offense type coordinator,so the Bengals  are going back to the air coryell offense.which they ran in 2005.

he had a few WCO concepts in Oakland with Campbell and how they used their FB/TE's.  Not a lot, but some.  He's also been around this current system for 2 years, he's not going into it blind.

A friend of a friend got a behind-the-scenes tour of the Bengals' organization last year.  Everyone was really friendly and doubly cool.  Except for Jay Gruden.  He thought he was god's gift to football. 

My 2¢.

Gruden wasn't that bad. He's kinda aloof, but once you get him talking football, you can see he's gotta helluva football mind. Hue just has that personality thing. He's real confident, he's real funny and he likes fucking with people. If you watched hard knocks this year, you saw the difference. Think back to the Gruden/Harrison conversation and the Hue/Zimmer/Zimmer's D screwing around.

AJ had 1426 yards this season.

The following is a list of players with 1200 or more yards receiving this season with one other special attribute.  

Josh Gordon 1646 yards UDFA

Antonio Brown 1499 yards 6th round

AJ Green  1426 FIRST ROUND

Alshon Jeffery 1421 yards 2nd round

Pierre Garcon 1346 6th round

DeSean Jackson 1332 2nd round

Jordy Nelson 1314 2nd

Brandon Marshall 1295 4th

Eric Decker 1288 2nd

Vincent Jackson 1224 2nd

Jimmy Graham 1215 3rd

Of the top 10 receivers in 2013 only 1 is still in the playoffs (8 teams remaining) , Demaryius Thomas of Denver who was a 1st rounder and has Peyton Manning throwing to him.

Josh Gordon was a 2nd rounder? Where is Calvin Johnson?

This is a horrible argument to be having, especially considering we fought about the drafting of AJ on this board all the way through the 2011 draft (remember the phrases of that year? "Hood ornament" was just behind "100% wife-driven"). We are lucky to have him and he's a game changer.

Gruden will do great in Washington is my guess. The WCO will play perfectly into RGIII's strengths.  

Shanahan, desperately trying to save his job, tried to turn him into an early Mike Vick which worked great until the inevitable injury occurred. 120 rushing attempts for a franchise QB in his first year is just STUPID. 

Pick up a Welker type receiver, a good #2 WR and this will be a very dangerous team offensively.   Team was ranked 9th in offense last year with RGIII trying to carry the team.   

Calvin Johnson was a first rounder.  The point of the post was that you don't need to use a first round pick to find very good receivers and certainly don't need first rounders to build a great receiving corps.

Calvin Johnson has been in the league 7 years and has played in 1 playoff game.   He is this century's version of James Lofton.  Lofton spent his first 9 years at Green Bay, played in 1 playoff game.

2012 Patriots top receivers, 4th in passing. 

Wes Welker:  Undrafted

Brandon Lloyd 4th round

Gronk: 2nd round

Da Kiler: 4th round

Woodhead: Undrafted

Edelman: 7th round.

I see it as a win-win. Jay's offense is well designed but often poorly implemented. Maybe taking the play calling duties out of his hand will help. For the Bengals, an Offensive shake-up was necessary. Commit to the run (really this time).

I could see Jay doing well in Washington. That said, I'm excited to have Hue. I like his temperament, the fact that he's worked successfully with young QBs in the past (he was in Baltimore when Flacco was a pup), and seems to like the run game. He has been working in the AFC North for a number of years, and he knows what types of teams are here, and I would hope can bring a different approach to offensive game planning and game management of division games, where Andy and the offense have struggled the most.

Thing that has me perturbed is that Mike Brown, for probably the only single documented time in his GM tenure, acceded to a Coaches desires over his own fancies.   That coach was Jay Gruden and he let him choose his guy, "Playoff" Andy Dalton 0-3 in playoffs, over MB's choice, Colin "3-1 One play away from 4-0 and a Ring" Kaepernick.   I know there are plenty of folks who don't think CK is any better than AD, but I'm not one of them, not at all, not now, not from the moment we passed on him.   Now I see our franchise set back for another generation, while we let our accumlulated core of fine offensive and defensive talent age under a commitment to a good, not great, and limited talent. 

Love to eat those words one day, but I sure wouldn't put money against it, not my own anyway...  Now the guy who influenced that decision is proven to be fly-by-night off to something bigger and better and won't be  sticking it out through the consequences of his decision.

While lukewarm on Gruden as an OC, I still say the SD game was more a problem of player execution, not play calling or game planning ( I'm sure he didn't plan on being down 2 scores in the 4th and needing to throw every play),  I can see him being a good HC and righting the ship in Was....or going down in flames after 2 years.  Seems with Snyder you'll get the latter if you don't get the former, no middle ground.

Respectfully submitted,

T

I could see Jay doing well in Washington. That said, I'm excited to have Hue. I like his temperament, the fact that he's worked successfully with young QBs in the past (he was in Baltimore when Flacco was a pup), and seems to like the run game. He has been working in the AFC North for a number of years, and he knows what types of teams are here, and I would hope can bring a different approach to offensive game planning and game management of division games, where Andy and the offense have struggled the most.

Hue has worked with Plummer, Palmer, Ryan, and Flacco in total.  Also got the best play of Campbell's career in Oakland.

Archived