Day 2 Big Board

Carlos Hyde is who I want. I think he's going to be awesome.

I don't think he will be around, but I agree.  He is the type that you ride for a few years.  He's like a bowling ball of a back and the perfect compliment to Gio.

the only downside to taking hyde if he's there at 55 is that you're likely sacrificing the last of the good DL, OL or QB.  

Ideally you want to fill 2 of those 3 tonight.  If you take Hyde at 55, you're not leaving yourself with great options at 88.  DL can wait because you're pretty deep there.  If you go OL at 88, you're losing out on any potential starting QB left.  If you take QB at 88, you're losing out on any likely starting caliber OL left.

the only downside to taking hyde if he's there at 55 is that you're likely sacrificing the last of the good DL, OL or QB.  

Ideally you want to fill 2 of those 2 tonight.  If you take Hyde at 55, you're not leaving yourself with great options at 88.

What about...

2. Hyde
3. Brandon Thomas
4. Aaron Murray or other best qb available

Then if after June 1st you can find a vet left guard that you could get to compete with boling for a year until Thomas is ready to go.

I do like Antonio Richardson too. He held Clowney in check pretty well. Got the size to start at guard and athleticism to play tackle.

He did the first time they played. Not so much in the second time. Clowney used his speed to get passed him several times. Kind of exposed him.

Gotcha but I don't think qb is a must at 55 or 88.

well its not a must anywhere, but if you're looking to develop a quality backup and potential starter, you can't wait any longer than tonight.

Thomas probably won't be ready to play this season. We might be able to get David Yankey or Trai Turner in round 3.

exactly why you can get him lower than his talent level.  Prior to his injury, he was getting tabbed as a top 40 pick.  If you can get him at 88, you'd have to feel pretty good about it.

What about...

2. Hyde
3. Brandon Thomas
4. Aaron Murray or other best qb available

Then if after June 1st you can find a vet left guard that you could get to compete with boling for a year until Thomas is ready to go.

Georgia guy in the 4th seems to work out for this team. 

I have wanted Mettenberger or Murray as "Plan B" going back to the end of last season. If there is a run that wipes out both OL & DL, one of those two could make sense in the next two rounds. I would prefer to wait until the 3rd (which would mean Murray most likely). Another option out there would be AJ McCarron.

It has been about six years since I lived in fear of the Bengals screwing up a draft. Draft days are much more enjoyable under this current regime's approach to the process. Fun to sit back and trust their judgement. They sure have earned that trust of late. 

Ideally you want to fill 2 of those 3 tonight.  If you take Hyde at 55, you're not leaving yourself with great options at 88.  DL can wait because you're pretty deep there.  If you go OL at 88, you're losing out on any potential starting QB left.  If you take QB at 88, you're losing out on any likely starting caliber OL left.

I could care less about qb, but the rest remains accurate.  And you could make the same argument between RB and whoever is available in 4.  I love Hyde but from a value perspective would like to start looking at backs them.

Copy/paste?

It doesn't fill nicely but if it's the best we can do.

QB ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Derek Carr 4 1 1 1
Jimmy Garoppolo 1 2 3 2
AJ McCarron 2 4 4 3
Zach Mettenberger 3 5 5
Tom Savage 3 2
Logan Thomas 4
David Fales 5
Aaron Murray 5

RB ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Carlos Hyde 1 1 1 1
Bishop Sankey 2 2 2 3
Jeremy Hill 3 3 4 5
Tre Mason 4 5 3 2
Andre Williams 5 4
Tyler Gaffney 4
Devonta Freeman 5

FB ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Trey Millard 1 1 2 1
Jay Prosch 3 4 1 3
JC Copeland 4 2 3 4
Ryan Hewitt 2 3 5 5
Karl Williams 2
Reggie Jordan 4
Kiero Small 5

WR ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Marqise Lee 1 1 1 1
Jordan Matthews 5 3 4 4
Donte Moncrief 2 5 2
Allen Robinson 5 2 5
Cody Latimer 2 3
DaVante Adams 3 3
Jarvis Landry 4
Paul Richardson 4

TE ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Jace Amaro 1 1 1 2
Troy Niklas 3 2 3 1
Austin Sefarian-Jenkins 2 3 2 3
CJ Fiedorowicz 4 4 4 4
Arthur Lynch 5 5
Colt Lyerla 5
Marcel Jensen 5

Tackle ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Cyrus Kouandjio 3 1 1 2
Joel Bitonio 2 3 (guard) 2 (guard) 1
Jack Mewhort 4 4 3 3
Antonio Richardson 5 2 4 4
Morgan Moses 1 3 2
James Hurst 5
Cameron Fleming 5
Seantrel Henderson 5

Guard ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Xavier Su'a-Filo 1 1 1 1
Joel Bitonio 2 (tackle) 3 2 1 (tackle)
Trai Turner 2 2 4 3
Gabe Jackson 3 3 2
David Yankey 5 4
Cyril Richardson 4 5
Brandon Thomas 4
John Urschel 5
Dakota Dozier 5

Center ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Marcus Martin 1 1 1 1
Travis Swanson 4 5 3 2
Weston Richburg 2 3 3
Russell Bodine 3 4 4
Bryan Stork 2 2
Wesley Johnson 5 5
Gabe Ikard 4
Tyler Larsen 5

DT ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Louis Nix III 1 1 1 2
Stephon Tuitt 1 (DE) 1 (DE) 3 1 (DE)
Timmy Jernigan 2 2 2 3
Ra'Shede Hageman 3 3 4 1
Daquan Jones 5 5 5
Brent Urban 4
Ego Furguson 4
Daniel McCullers 4
Anthony Johnson 5

DE ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Stephon Tuitt 1 1 3 (DT) 1
Kony Ealy 2 3 2 3
Trent Murphy 4 (OLB) 1 (OLB) 5 2 (OLB)
Kareem Martin 4 2 4 4
Scott Crichton 3 4 3 5
DeMarcus Lawrence 2 (OLB) 1 2
Chris Smith 5 5 (OLB)
Ed Stinson 5

OLB ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Jeremiah Attaouchu 1 2 3 1
Kyle Van Noy 3 3 2 4
Trent Murphy 4 1 5 (DE) 2
DeMarcus Lawrence 2 1 (DE) 2 (DE)
Carl Bradford 4 1
Telvin Smith 5 4 3 (ILB)
Chris Smith 5 (DE) 5
Lamin Barrow 5 (ILB) 5
Adrian Hubbard 3
Prince Shembo 5

ILB ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Chris Borland 1 4 1 2
Shayne Skov 3 2 2 5
Preston Brown 2 3 4
Telvin Smith 5 (OLB) 4 (OLB) 3
Christian Jones 3 1
Yawin Smallwood 5 1
Lamin Barrow 5 5 (OLB)
Andrew Jackson 4
Brock Coyle 4
Max Bullough 5

S ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Terrence Brooks 1 2 1 3
Brock Vereen 2 3 1
LaMarcus Joyner 2 (CB) 3 1 (CB)
Dez Southward 4 5 2
Craig Loston 3 4 5
Dion Bailey 5 4
Ed Reynolds 1
Marqueston Huff 2
Jonathan Dowling 4
Tre Boston 5

CB ESPN Ourlads CBS NFL
Keith McGill 4 2 4 2
LaMarcus Joyner 2 3 (S) 1
Pierre Desir 5 5 5
Stan Jean-Baptiste 1 3
Rashaad Reynolds 4 1
Jaylen Watkins 1 5
Phillip Gaines 3 2
Bashaud Breeland 3 3
Antone Exum 4

My big board re-shaped after adding in a bunch of names I was leaving out.

Marqise Lee
Cyrus Kouandjio
Joel Bitonio
Kyle Van Noy
Kareem Martin
Kony Ealy
Antonio Richardson
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Marcus Martin
LaMarcus Joyner
Carlos Hyde
Stephon Tuitt
Trent Murphy
Morgan Moses
Louis Nix III
Timmy Jernigan
Ra'Shede Hageman
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Jeremy Hill
Terrence Brooks
Scott Crichton
David Yankey
Jace Amaro
Troy Niklas

Its a simply question:  Who can make your team better THIS year?   I think Carlos Hyde, if he plays to expectation, has the best chance of improving the team in 2014.  I agree we need future players for some of our aging vets and possible for our QB but an excellent, tough and dynamic running game can take us to the next level if the defense remains good and relatively injury free THIS YEAR.

That said he won't be there at 55 so if we want him, we will be forced to do some trading.

Its a simply question:  Who can make your team better THIS year?   I think Carlos Hyde, if he plays to expectation, has the best chance of improving the team in 2014.  I agree we need future players for some of our aging vets and possible for our QB but an excellent, tough and dynamic running game can take us to the next level if the defense remains good and relatively injury free THIS YEAR.

That said he won't be there at 55 so if we want him, we will be forced to do some trading.

If we lose Whit at any point the jumpoff to Newhouse or ? will be enormous. I'd like to start building there. Van Noy at LB would be nice as well. Gives us 5 solid LBs to play around with and a guy who can start at multiple spots. 

Archived