Nick Fairley visited the Bengals, signs with Rams after being snubbed

Or Clemmings who might have more upside at LT. But I'll take either.

Pat Kirwan said on Sirius NFL Radio the other day that Collins is by far and away the better of the two at this point but he thinks Clemmings will go in the 1st round because he has got potential .. I would rather have Collins at this point but if he's not there Clemmings is not a bad second choice..

Fair enough, but with no other visits set up and no other teams actively publicly courting him before the tweets today, it just seems unlikely to me that you would go on the 2nd day of free agency to a place you least want to play for. 2 weeks from now if you have nothing in the range you want, then maybe that makes sense.

if everything is at face value, i would agree.. but fairley isnt Suh, he isnt Murray, he isnt a prime inside scoop kinda guy that the media is clamouring for, especailly with the graham, revis, foles, etc things going down, plus the retirements... the media only has so many stories to care about and probe... so i am assuming he has 3-5 teams interested... and more than one visit set up..

Which side of the bench do you see him sitting on next year?

Personally I see him as a right side of the bench kind of guy but I know some think he could step right in and sit on the left.

My argument for Collins took a major hit the moment we re-signed Boling.  I still think he'd be an instant upgrade, but it doesn't make as much sense if we're looking for instant impact. 

BTW, Hair, have you ever head of the Waldo forumla?  Some guy through it together a few years ago and it's proven staggering accuate at predicting edge rusher success.  He evaluates risk level, and the two least risk categories are divided into guys who score high in "twitch" or "explosion"

Dupree hasn't tested in the drills that make him elible for twitch, but he's got the highest explosion number ever.   I just wished I saw more on tape with him.

The other guys who are lowest risk this year (in order)?

EXPLOSION

Owa

Davis Hull

Frank Clark

AGILITY

Vic Beasley

Gregory

This guy's formula basically predicted Justin Houston, etc.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601

Here's the breakdown someone did for this year:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NR_IK6Qum7uIKX2PaXihE76FXy7VkEgsjUaShTfBIK8/edit?pli=1

My argument for Collins took a major hit the moment we re-signed Boling. 

Yes it did, although to perfectly fair the only scenario I could fathom where the Bengals were to take an OL early in the draft was based upon losing Boling, either by choice or if he left in FA.

As mentioned before I'm not a big Boling fan and I too had some hope that the Bengals would look to upgrade his spot, but it always felt like bringing him back was the smarter play.

Bengals to-do list was long enough.  

BTW, Hair, have you ever head of the Waldo forumla? 

No, I've never seen that before.

I'm not sure I understand the formula very well but at first glance let me say in my best Mike Mayoch voice..."I may need to go back and watch more tape on Frank Clark."

BTW, I wish that 2015 spreadsheet was more complete and had fewer errors.

No, I've never seen that before.

I'm not sure I understand the formula very well but at first glance let me say in my best Mike Mayoch voice..."I may need to go back and watch more tape on Frank Clark."

BTW, I wish that 2015 spreadsheet was more complete and had fewer errors.

I've actually been working on fixing it haha.  Randy Gregory immediately jumped out as big time twitch guy, for instance.  I can't guarantee that I'm catching some of the internal spreadsheet forumal errors...

There's also the issue of apples to pears comparison by using guys pro day numbers...

But, for interest, I plugged our last three DEs in:

Michael Johnson is mid-low risk because he registers with a 1.1 on twitch and a 1.0 for explosion.

Hunt and Clarke are both High Risk, which is pretty damning when you look at the success rate for guys on his historical list for High Risk.

I don't understand why we feel the need to go after MJ when we drafted Hunt and Clarke. I get it that they haven't stepped up yet but I would expect them to this year.

This is just stupid. How can you not sign both MJ and Fairley. I like Peko so I am not for cutting him but I am for cutting/restructuring Hall and then you get both.

Why is this so hard?!?!?

Archived