Nick Fairley visited the Bengals, signs with Rams after being snubbed

Michael Johnson cut, Nick Fairley exits, Bengals wait

The Bengals also entertained Detroit free agent defensive lineman Nick Fairley on Wednesday, but the Lions tackle left without a contract. For those considering if the Bengals could afford both Johnson and Fairley that would seem unlikely given money spent thus far and the long list of contracts expiring after the 2015 season.

Among those who will be searching for new contracts next year are A.J. Green, Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, Kevin Zeitler, Adam Jones, Marvin Jones, George Iloka, Dre Kirkpatrick., Reggie Nelson, Vinny Rey, Mohamed Sanu, Brandon Thompson and Leon Hall.

More realistically, Cincinnati faces a scenario of one or the other assuming both sides are still interested as free agency continues to unfold.

(Click the link above for the entire article)

You can have all 4. They don't need rookie pool until July. They don't need injury pad until well injuries happen.

Not to mention the rookie pool can provide cap savings if a rookie bumps a high veteran cap number.

Just to note Rey could have counted 3/4 against the cap instead of 7 without paying him less.

Boling counts an extra 2 against the cap because they will pay him 2.5 mil in 4 days and they chose to call it roster bonus.

I don't understand your point here...

What's going to happen between now and July that is going to open up that cap room if they aren't cutting those 2 guys? I mean technically they could get to 100% of the cap now and not have the room to sign the rookies, but it doesn't make any sense to do that. If you keep guys around that you are planning on cutting and they get hurt, you are stuck with their cap hit. 

I feel like 80% of your anger is that you don't really understand how the cap works. It was just 2 months ago that you were arguing the Bengals would never be near the salary cap so it was irrelevant when talking about whether Leon should be forced to restructure or be cut. 

I don't understand your point here...

What's going to happen between now and July that is going to open up that cap room if they aren't cutting those 2 guys? I mean technically they could get to 100% of the cap now and not have the room to sign the rookies, but it doesn't make any sense to do that. If you keep guys around that you are planning on cutting and they get hurt, you are stuck with their cap hit. 

I feel like 80% of your anger is that you don't really understand how the cap works. It was just 2 months ago that you were arguing the Bengals would never be near the salary cap so it was irrelevant when talking about whether Leon should be forced to restructure or be cut.

The overall point is the bengals are setting aside cap purchasing power. They could do deals to acquire more talent today and then work restructuring closer to when the rookie deals would count.

Also the flat rookie pool count is dishonest in March. All picks 4th round or higher typically make them team at the expense of a vet so the entire pool isn't needed for Seotember compliance.

Honestly the more li think about it fuck fairly and mj. Get Hardy pleeeeeeease.

Insider Buzz: NFL Will Likely Suspend FA Greg Hardy, Long-Term Contract Unlikely

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2393274-insider-buzz-nfl-will-suspend-fa-greg-hardy-unlikely-to-get-long-term-contract?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

80% of Scharm's anger is that he doesn't really understand how anything works.

Apparently I understand that bengals offered MJ 40 over 5. Now we understand that you're obsessive and going to carry that anger over into each thread.

So sorry board.

http://www.patriots.com/news/blog/article-1/Report-Pats-show-interest-in-DT-Nick-Fairley/21017569-1444-4e92-bfb5-cb569b8e1bd8

not sure if that was posted...

but unless the pats offer to pay him in punches to the nuts instead of a salary.. we may very well just count this one out...

They signed Jabaal Sheard 2 years for $5.5 million per year

The Stud chimes in ...

1 min · 

Why does it have to be Michael Johnson OR Nick Fairley. Bengals fans want both. They deserve both. They demand both. Even if it means cutting a vet. I know football is different than baseball. But the Reds managed to sign Votto and Phillips. I like the word "and." I do not like the word "or."

The Stud chimes in ...

Why does it have to be Michael Johnson OR Nick Fairley. Bengals fans want both. They deserve both. They demand both. Even if it means cutting a vet. I know football is different than baseball. But the Reds managed to sign Votto and Phillips. I like the word "and." I do not like the word "or."

Chick is still alive?

Chick is still alive?

The reports of his demise were premature ...

Ex-Bengals beat hack with face for radio. Host 'Monday Morning QB' 6-9 am on Fox Sports 1360 (WSAI-AM) 'n' fill-in host on 700 WLW & ESPN 1530.

https://twitter.com/ChickLudwig

https://www.facebook.com/chick.ludwig?fref=nf

The Stud chimes in ...

[font='lucida grande']

Chick Ludwig

1 min · 
[/font]
[font='lucida grande']

[/font]

In this instance the Stud is right. They should be grabbing both of these guys not deciding between the two.

lol.

There's still Knighton, Fairley, Hardy, Derrick Morgan, Wilfork.  Surely there's a few more. 

The pass Rushing DT Starkes from the Dolphins is out there too.. could be pretty cheap, he's in the 30s

The overall point is the bengals are setting aside cap purchasing power. They could do deals to acquire more talent today and then work restructuring closer to when the rookie deals would count.
Also the flat rookie pool count is dishonest in March. All picks 4th round or higher typically make them team at the expense of a vet so the entire pool isn't needed for Seotember compliance.

Bingo. They are not creative with he cap at all. They will have tons of space in future years. That list of upcoming free agents should be the reason they spend now. We have a small window with his group. It's so disheartening knowing we paid a two down player what we did and the way we did it. There is no reason to do that at all.

Archived