Nick Fairley visited the Bengals, signs with Rams after being snubbed

I was blown away with how often at UCLA he ran inside stunts rather than edge-rushed.  Blown away because he regularly drove OT's and Guards right into the QB's lap.

Cough cough. I was on Owa bandwagon months ago. He's the perfect 4 3 end. And I wouldn't be surprised he shoots up the board near top 15 status.

-- Pass rusher Owa Odighizuwa performed drills at defensive end and standing up at linebacker at the Bruins pro day and attracted a lot of attention. He was considered as a mid-to-late first round pick by NFL teams prior to the draft process with the one caveat being his medical reports. The only aspect of Odighizuwa's draft evaluation that could keep him out of the first round is long-term durability concerns.

-- Linebacker Eric Kendricks was forced to stand on his NFL Combine 40-yard dash numbers because of a nagging hamstring injury that he strained running at Lucas Oil Stadium. He did perform positional drills at UCLA's pro day, showing well and cementing his status as a top-50 prospect. Kendricks recorded a 4.61 40-yard dash, 38-inch vertical and 10-feet-4 broad jump at the Combine.

-- Pass rusher Owa Odighizuwa performed drills at defensive end and standing up at linebacker at the Bruins pro day and attracted a lot of attention. He was considered as a mid-to-late first round pick by NFL teams prior to the draft process with the one caveat being his medical reports. The only aspect of Odighizuwa's draft evaluation that could keep him out of the first round is long-term durability concerns.
-- Linebacker Eric Kendricks was forced to stand on his NFL Combine 40-yard dash numbers because of a nagging hamstring injury that he strained running at Lucas Oil Stadium. He did perform positional drills at UCLA's pro day, showing well and cementing his status as a top-50 prospect. Kendricks recorded a 4.61 40-yard dash, 38-inch vertical and 10-feet-4 broad jump at the Combine.

I went to UCLA usc game and those two guys dominated the game. Love to have both. They seem to have good head on their shoulders n great football in stints.

Defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa (6-3 1/4, 262) now looks like he could get drafted in the picks Nos. 25-40 range (late first round or early second). Odighizuwa worked out for 20-plus minutes for the Seahawks' defensive line coach. Then, he went to go work out with the linebackers. Odighizuwa is a very good athlete -- he was a top performer among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine in the 40-yard dash, 20-yard shuttle and 60-yard shuttle, and the top performer among defensive linemen in the vertical jump and broad jump.

Odighizuwa has good power, and is probably better going forward than dropping into space (as an outside linebacker). So, he will be considered a hand-in-the-ground pass rusher.

Inside linebacker Eric Kendricks (6-0 1/8, 235) went through some drills despite a nagging hamstring that flared up at the combine. Kendricks did the 20-yard short shuttle in 4.17 seconds and the three-cone in 7.16 seconds. He also performed 22 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. He didn't run the 60-yard long shuttle, but UCLA coach Jim Mora indicated that if a team is worried about drafting Kendricks because he didn't run the long shuttle then they'll miss out on a really good player.

So what was the gist?

It was 50/50 I'd guess.  After losing Suh, some were wanting him to come back but at a reasonable

price tag.  A few numbers they posted were like a 2 year contract at $5 million a year.  A couple others

in the $6 million a year range but with low guaranteed money and incentives.  Some were like, fuck his

lazy, fat, taking plays off, injured all the time ass.  lol   Apparently he has a problem with motivation and

only turned it up a notch this year because of impending free agency.  And I'm sure some was just "sour

grapes" as mentioned before.  But others were willing to welcome him back to play next to Ngata.  

As far as the Lions switching to a 3-4 next year, I think that's still up in the air.  Fairley could play DE in

a 3-4 though I would think since he's listed as 6' 4" 308 lbs.  

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/3/9/8176385/lions-notes-3-4-defense

I do know Marvin is good friends with Jim Schwartz, who IIRC drafted him.  Has to have pretty good intel from there, I'd think...

I think signing Fairley to an Atkins like deal would be a bad idea.

He's just not that good.

People on the Lion's board were all for signing him because the consensus was that he would be inexpensive and a good value.

Not to get the thread OT, but O2 didn't have a very good 3 cone, which is something I think is huge for a DE.  Any chance he plans on re-running it on his pro-day?

On-topic:  Fairley is a guy who could play either one or three technique.  Think he would be perfect.  He's not going to get a huge deal, as nose tackles in 4-3's don't usually get the big, big, money.  He would be a really nice piece into the rotation.  Probably your day 1 starting 1 technique next to Geno.  Add Bud Dupree/O2 as an edge rusher and the numbers are pretty funky (someone gets cut unless Clarke becomes a three technique DT), but I then love it.

big deal was in place mike brown wanted an extra day to mull it over the Raiders came in and swept them away from us it could have been done

That is not right. Cincy put an offer on the table and Warren took that offer to Oakland to try to shop it. The Bengals found out, and pulled the offer.

On-topic:  Fairley is a guy who could play either one or three technique.  Think he would be perfect.  He's not going to get a huge deal, as nose tackles in 4-3's don't usually get the big, big, money.  He would be a really nice piece into the rotation.  Probably your day 1 starting 1 technique next to Geno.  Add Bud Dupree/O2 as an edge rusher and the numbers are pretty funky (someone gets cut unless Clarke becomes a three technique DT), but I then love it.

I must be miscounting someone somewhere. Unless you are thinking Still remains on the team.  I see two one for one exchanges:

Fairley for Still and Owa for Geathers.

But the most intriguing news of the day might have been reports that the Bengals are hosting Fairley on Wednesday. The 6-4, 308-pound Fairley, the 13th player taken in the 2011 draft, has been plagued by injury and off-field problems since he arrived in Detroit.

But he has been acquitted of a DUI charge and has had a possession of marijuana charge dropped. Although he got benched this past August and had 14 tackles and a sack in eight games before he hurt his knee, Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin told the Lions’ web site via NFL.com he was impressed with the 27-year-old Fairley. He said Fairley was in good enough shape to return to the lineup if the Lions beat Dallas in the playoffs.

"As a player you could say, 'I'm going to play hard or I'm going to get in shape' and sometimes when things don't go well you go right back into your old habits," Austin said. "He got injured and he didn't. He kept himself in good shape. He kept his weight down, he worked really hard and if we were fortunate enough to win at Dallas he would have been ready to play a little bit in the next game and so that shows me that he's turned the corner."

Fairley wouldn’t be the first guy on defense to turn around his career in Cincinnati. Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther can introduce him to cornerback and All-Pro returner Adam Jones, safety Reggie Nelson and Pro Bowl WILL backer Vontaze Burfict.

The re-signing of Boling and Winston solidifies an offensive line that helped the running game into the No. 6 ranking in NFL rushing, its highest run ranking since a No. 2 finish in 2000.

Boling has started 47 games since he was drafted in the fourth round out of Georgia in 2011 and his athleticism has proven to be a boon on the Bengals power running plays. He also started two games at right tackle when Andre Smith went down and before Winston signed  late last season.

Boling, who turns 26 in the spring camps, impressed the club when he missed the last four games of the 2013 with a torn ACL and after his New Year’s Eve surgery he was back on the field for the first practice of training camp last season.

The Bengals went in with about $15 million to spend under the salary cap and this tightens up things. But  apparently they are still looking for a veteran defensive lineman at either end or tackle, judging by the Fairley visit. The five deals could mean there’s only a couple left to do and it apparently precludes a veteran tight end.

Has there been any further discussion of his double hip surgery?

a torn labrum to each hip that needed surgically repaired each time? it scares me wondering how or why that occurred with his body makeup, and you'd certainly have to recognize the probability for recurrence in anyone who had sustained two such injuries to either hip. it's a very freak thing to have happen once, but twice, and once to each hip? i don't see how any doctor could objectively green light a player with such a rare medical case history.

Not feeling positive about us signing Fairley. Rumor has it is that the Colts have more than doubled his guaranteed money thus far among suitors.

How much money do the Colts have to spend? It seems to me they should be running out of money!

what planet are people living on where players only visit teams they want to sign with?

new to football? think this is high school and they are committing to us?

this is a business, it would make sense to visit teams you dont want to sign with first, to use as leverage, deal on table, for the team you go to next, or the team you visit last.. puts all the cards in your hands..  its just smart business.

its the bengals job to not let him walk out the door without a contract inked.. if he walks in the door, you have a chance, if he walks out the door.. its basically gone..

has nothing to do with living in the past.. has a bit to do with not being a homer and living in the real world...

How much money do the Colts have to spend? It seems to me they should be running out of money!

Not sure and it could be a superplay by his agent. It's not smart to guarantee a lot of money to someone like him , injury history and all.

Then we shouldn't sign him. That's going to be too much.

Agreed

If Bengals and Fairley's agents were not serious, he wouldn't be here first. I am not saying he gets signed, but I am saying I doubt Colts are "offering double"...if so, he would be in Indy first. 

Agreed here also.

Archived