Bengals' Adam Jones on heated play: 'I don't back down from anybody'

It was completely a dirty move and even if it was in retaliation, what Pacman did wasn't justifiable.  He won't get suspended only fined.  But it will hurt his image on the field in the eyes of the refs too.  This won't do him any favors in regards to "questionable" unsportsmanlike issues between Pacman and whoever else on the field in the future.  

i am more offended by AJ Hawks football ability than what  pacman did.

cuz aj hawk sucks now. i hear robert schlagel is a free agent..

He actually didn't do bad when he was on the field, but I was at the game so maybe I missed stuff? 

....in a fit of rage.....hahhahhaa.   Love the editorializing.   Grabbing him by the throat?  I see you threw in a little fiction as well.  

Yeah it wasn't by the throats, I stand corrected.. In a fit of rage... most certainly.  Guy has always been a bit of a loose cannon.  Letting a rookie get under your skin?

When the rookie punches you in the throat to start it? 

You don't honestly think Cooper just decided to punch Jones in the throat for no reason do you?  Again, the league, in particular, all of the referees will see this video and Jones is on the shit list now.   There was no reason to law down the law on some dumbass rookie on a shit team during a blowout.   

I have no idea what prompted Cooper to punch Jones while the play was unfolding. And neither do you. Could be nothing, could be anything. But let's not pretend that Jones just snapped and did that with no provocation. Please.  He will get fined, fine with that. If he was suspended for a game, I would be fine with that too. But I don't believe for one second Jones all of a sudden was doing that for no reason. 

You don't honestly think Cooper just decided to punch Jones in the throat for no reason do you?  Again, the league, in particular, all of the referees will see this video and Jones is on the shit list now.   There was no reason to law down the law on some dumbass rookie on a shit team during a blowout.   

You have no idea. You are completely guessing and you chose to side with Cooper instead. Raiders were getting there ass beat. Cooper could have been doing it out of frustration. Dude has probably lost like 5 football games in his entire life and I guarantee he's never been down 24 points in a game before.

I am totally good with what Jones did.  They were up big and some hotshot rookie takes a cheap shot.  Jones took care of business.  He didn't slam his head very hard.  As Steve Smith would say, "Ice up, son!"

A dominant, physical defense will walk the line of what is permitted and sometimes cross the line.  Jones didn't take any crap and took care of business.  The timing was good.  I don't think for a minute the rookie was in Jones' head.  I would say it was quite the opposite.  

The word in the media is no suspension.  A fine should be in order for both.  I would go with $5K for Cooper and $10K for Jones.  

If this were a game against the Stealers and one of their DB's did this to AJ Green, no matter what precipitated it, would we all be so nonchalant about it?

The Stoolers?  ...I haven't seen much swagger from them lately, ...holding, ...yeah, ...chippy fights, ...nahhhh.

Okay, pick a different opponent then. Just because the Steelers "used to do this all the time" or maybe they've "lost their swagger" is irrelevant. Jones' move was a dirtbag play regardless of what precipitated it or "what's been done to us by others in the past". I agree with those that admire and want the swagger in this defense that's been missing since Odell...then came along again with Pac and Vontaze, and now Burfict, who knows how long he'll really be out. But jeez guys, there's a limit to dirty play not only on the part of the refs and the league that will cost us down the line due to an offending player being unavailable on the field because he does something stupid, but there's also a part of me that wants the Bengals to "not be like them" and win the old fashioned way, buy putting their fucking dicks in the dirt cleanly and legally.

Jones' play was a shitbag move, I don't care how he or any of you justifies it, it was bush league. Controlling emotions on the field of battle is a tetchy thing. Too much and you're dirty, too little and you have no heart. 

I don't think this was near as dirty as it is being described.  It'd not like he went at his knees or something.  He ripped his helmet off.  Big deal.  It hurts, but it's not likely to injure.  Even the banging of Coopers head on the helmet wasn't that bad.  He didn't do it very hard.  Cooper wasn't pissed afterwards.  He knew the both of them had gone over the edge, but no harm, no foul.  You also have to consider time and place.  The game was out of hand and it wasn't a big threat to the Bengals even if Jones was ejected.  No, I don't want to see that in a close game, but it wasn't a close game.  Intimidation still plays a role and Jones handing it to Cooper sent a message.

The Stealers are a perfect example because those teams were tough and everybody knew it.  Were they sometimes dirty?  Yep.  It was all part of the package.

well, you have to watch the full play to see it.  It took me a couple of times to catch it, mainly because I was looking for what instigated it, and more importantly why Reggie Nelson (who always breaks up fights) wasn't breaking this one up even though he's shoulder to shoulder with Pacman while he's doing it.

They're running down the field, Cooper is between Jones and the ball carrier.  Cooper turns around and shoves Pacman right in the facemask.  That's when Jones loses it and takes him to the ground.

This blow by Cooper under Pacman's facemask is what set off the #Bengals CB. Both players could end up getting fined

Embedded image permalink

If this were a game against the Stealers and one of their DB's did this to AJ Green, no matter what precipitated it, would we all be so nonchalant about it?

Impossible.   Their DBs suck and couldn't catch AJ in order to remove his helmet.     Now, they might be able to break a punter's jaw.

Archived