Jump to content

Keeping our enemies close 2022 season


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

 

... Rodgers is tripping balls for days while drinking hallucination juice, while other players are getting suspended for a little weed. 😬

 

The NFL confirmed it's not on the league's list of banned substances. The active ingredient is banned by US law though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

 

The NFL confirmed it's not on the league's list of banned substances. The active ingredient is banned by US law though. 

 

 

Sounds like their own NFL version of the K2/bath salts loophole.  Pot bad, sketchy research chemicals from Hong Kong a-ok!!

 

Let's hope nobody has their face eaten.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

As soon as Roger drops the hammer, the NFLPA and/or Watson sue in federal court. Everything held in abeyance. Watson plays.  

 

 

I dont understand the whole puppet show preamble if Dodgy Roger can just do as he likes anyhow.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

I dont understand the whole puppet show preamble if Dodgy Roger can just do as he likes anyhow.  

Goodell could do whatever he wanted up until the new CBA was signed. The league had to make some concessions on the disciplinary front. Now everything is a lot trickier.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dex said:

Goodell could do whatever he wanted up until the new CBA was signed. The league had to make some concessions on the disciplinary front. Now everything is a lot trickier.

 

Sure seems like the same shit but with more steps.  An "independent adjudicator" or whatever issues a ruling and then Roger decides if he likes it or not & can issue a new one? Why bother with the judge if he's free to change it anyway?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

Sure seems like the same shit but with more steps.  An "independent adjudicator" or whatever issues a ruling and then Roger decides if he likes it or not & can issue a new one? Why bother with the judge if he's free to change it anyway?

If the judge had said there was no misconduct, Goodell couldn't have done a single thing. But the judge laid out a case for serious misconduct, but kept the punishment in line with previous NFL rulings. But because she ruled against Watson it opened the door for Goodell to press for a longer suspension. That's the way the CBA is written.

 

You can jump on the commish for a lot of things, but there is zero doubt he wants Watson to be suspended indefinitely. If you doubt that Goodell really cares about sexual misconduct or a PR nightmare, then go for a more devious explanation here. The Cleveland Browns are the most hated team in the league right now by the other 31 owners. And it has to do with Cleveland offering a monster 100 percent guaranteed contract to a franchise QB that might become a precedent unless they can put an asterisk by it via a long extension.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love his passion. But being a successful NFL head coach is more akin to a deligating CEO & backroom strategist, than a motivational speaker. He seems like a guy you want to go to war for, but who might not be smart enough to actually win the war ...

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

As soon as Roger drops the hammer, the NFLPA and/or Watson sue in federal court. Everything held in abeyance. Watson plays.  

 

Watson will miss the first 6 games no matter what as the union didn't appeal it. They can sue on the grounds of non-compliance with the CBA by Goodell but no judge is going to overturn the suspension of 6 games. At best they will get a longer suspension reduced to 6 games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

 

Watson will miss the first 6 games no matter what as the union didn't appeal it. They can sue on the grounds of non-compliance with the CBA by Goodell but no judge is going to overturn the suspension of 6 games. At best they will get a longer suspension reduced to 6 games. 

Understood. But wouldn't the first filing be for a preliminary injunction? These are always dicey, but doesn't it hold in abeyance all underlying actions until the trial court reviews?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 6:05 PM, T-Dub said:

 

Sure seems like the same shit but with more steps.  An "independent adjudicator" or whatever issues a ruling and then Roger decides if he likes it or not & can issue a new one? Why bother with the judge if he's free to change it anyway?

The owners are driving this, Roger is just the hired figurehead. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2022 at 3:31 PM, Le Tigre said:

Understood. But wouldn't the first filing be for a preliminary injunction? These are always dicey, but doesn't it hold in abeyance all underlying actions until the trial court reviews?   

 

A lot depends on who gets to the courthouse first. The NFL would file in the SDNY where a couple of 2nd circuit precedents give great weight to the CBA. A judge there would probably say the union agreed to have Goodell as the final voice on the case so they have to live with his (or in this case Harvey's) decision.

 

If the union files first, they may be able to say that the CBA like all contracts includes an implied covenant of good faith and if Goodell serves as an arbitrator or picks one, he has to do so impartially. There's ample evidence Goodell isn't impartial between the league and the union. 

 

 It would be a longshot if the union won the case but since they explicitly said they would accept Judge Robinson's imposed suspension of 6 weeks, that isn't at stake. The court case would only be about additional punishment imposed by Harvey. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Le Tigre said:

As soon as Roger drops the hammer, the NFLPA and/or Watson sue in federal court. Everything held in abeyance. Watson plays.  

...and only earns $365K for the year.  When he's suspended the following year, he'll lose $40M

 

Also, if he does get suspended all of this year, his contract doesn't begin until the following season as it's written.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

...and only earns $365K for the year.  When he's suspended the following year, he'll lose $40M

 

Also, if he does get suspended all of this year, his contract doesn't begin until the following season as it's written.

Yep, there is some 3D Chess being played right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...