All Time Bengals field a team to win it all. QB

All Time win SB QB  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets your vote at QB?

• Ken Anderson
    • Boomer Esiason
    • Joe Burrow
    • Other, indicate in thread.

Just a reminder, this team is not about career achievement. Pick the guys at their best to win all the post season games. We start with QB.  IMO there are only 3 real options but I will leave a spot for a write-in. The poll will run until 9:30 pm tomorrow. 

Kenny achieved his greatness in the postseason when the league rules were not markedly in his favor. 

That said, he likely would not be as effective in today’s game. And Burrow would have been long dead by now in Kenny’s era. 

Assuming that the baseline for “championships” is the present era, then Burrow would be #1. If it is a hybrid of different eras, it is not so clear. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Kenny achieved his greatness in the postseason when the league rules were not markedly in his favor. 

That said, he likely would not be as effective in today’s game. And Burrow would have been long dead by now in Kenny’s era. 

Assuming that the baseline for “championships” is the present era, then Burrow would be #1. If it is a hybrid of different eras, it is not so clear. 

I wonder why you think Anderson wouldn't be effective in today's game?  He was as accurate a passer as has ever existed.  I think he wouldn't have a problem reading defenses.  He probably wouldn't have the arm strength of some of these guys, but to me accuracy is king.  Lots of guys with big arms that cant play for shit. 

5 hours ago, spicoli said:

Yeah Burrow has no toughness to him at all, what a pussy.

Too funny. 

Sure he’s tough. But compared to guys like Joe Kapp—who routinely were popped up side the head by Deacon Jones… or a Turkey Jones body slam? Kenny survived a cork screwed head twist. All of these—while not technically allowed back then—were also basically tolerated. 

Today’s bubble-wrapped rule protected QB’s are not in the same area code in terms of having their bodies abused. 

7 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I wonder why you think Anderson wouldn't be effective in today's game?  He was as accurate a passer as has ever existed.  I think he wouldn't have a problem reading defenses.  He probably wouldn't have the arm strength of some of these guys, but to me accuracy is king.  Lots of guys with big arms that cant play for shit. 

Now that I think about it…you have a point. Kenny—having today’s QB protection rules—likely would be in Top-10 mix. He would still have to have a line/running game, but who doesn’t? 

Along that same thought…he also had that incredible accuracy, while passing to receivers who were being constantly bumped/pushed everywhere on the field. Another aspect of present day rules upping stats. 

To me, Kenny was essentially Brady before Brady. More Athletic than Brady but similar in terms of accuracy and sneaky arm strength. 

It is impossible to compare the players over generations. A dumby like Bradshaw could never read defences today or play is a pass heavy game. And someone like Brees could never survive the style of play in the 70's. The game changes. 

49 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

To me, Kenny was essentially Brady before Brady. More Athletic than Brady but similar in terms of accuracy and sneaky arm strength. 

It is impossible to compare the players over generations. A dumby like Bradshaw could never read defences today or play is a pass heavy game. And someone like Brees could never survive the style of play in the 70's. The game changes. 

According to Bill Walsh, Anderson was Joe Montana before Montana.

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Along that same thought…he also had that incredible accuracy, while passing to receivers who were being constantly bumped/pushed everywhere on the field. Another aspect of present day rules upping stats. 

If you go and find YouTube highlights of Anderson what always stands out to me were the accuracy of his short passes.  Laid in there perfect every time.  Many very good modern QBs struggle with those.  They don't have the benefit of the full passing motion they have practiced and refined for decades.  Just about everything Anderson threw was on the  money.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:33 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I always wonder how good Akili Smith could have been if he had been any good at all. 

I think, with time, Akili would have improved from "have to improve to suck" to "sucking".

Arm of an RPG (Rocket Propelled Grenade, not Role Playing Game, millennials) Brain of an Ant.

Bengals beat writers spent more time making excuses for him than writing about his accomplishments.

On 6/20/2023 at 12:07 PM, Le Tigre said:

What is clear is playoff wins.

JB is 5-2...

Archived