Jump to content

Week 1 - Browns(stains) - News and Observations


Recommended Posts

It's either that ...

 

1. Burrow is cleared to play and Zac is being coy so that the Clowns have to prepare for Browning as well (70% chance)

 

2. They want to be cautious with Burrow and give him until week 2 to recover, so will go with Browning. But don't want to announce that in advance, so Cleveland spends time prepping for Burrow (30% chance).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

It's either that ...

 

1. Burrow is cleared to play and Zac is being coy so that the Clowns have to prepare for Browning as well (70% chance)

 

2. They want to be cautious with Burrow and give him until week 2 to recover, so will go with Browning. But don't want to announce that in advance, so Cleveland spends time prepping for Burrow (30% chance).

3.  There's some hold up with Joe's contract and they and/or agent don't want him on the field until the ink is dry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would put the chance of winning with Burrow at like 85% and the chance of winning with Browning at a 50% coin flip. 

 

In an ideal world, Browning could scrape out a win and allow Burrow one more week of rehab before the home opener just to be on the safe side. But Division games are also worth 2 games essentially and are far too important to throw one away.

 

If Burrow is 100% healthy I think you play him. But if he is only 90% and needs another week, you can't risk the entire season for 1 game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I would put the chance of winning with Burrow at like 85% and the chance of winning with Browning at a 50% coin flip. 

 

In an ideal world, Browning could scrape out a win and allow Burrow one more week of rehab before the home opener just to be on the safe side. But Division games are also worth 2 games essentially and are far too important to throw one away.

 

If Burrow is 100% healthy I think you play him. But if he is only 90% and needs another week, you can't risk the entire season for 1 game. 

 

I suspect he's perfectly fine and this is just some Belichik style fuckery

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As of now Burrow is required to do a mandatory press conference tomorrow now that it's game week. Not sure if he can get out of it if he shows up on the injury report though. He has not done any media whatsoever since the first day of training camp, the day before he injured his calf. I would guess that there will be a big push to get the contract settled before he has to talk before the press while being asked  uncomfortable questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Watson starting, Chubb might get 15-18 carries.

Browns want to make Watson a pocket passer (which he isn't), to justify that huge contract.

If the squad holds Chubb to under 100 yards, Bengals win.

Also like our chances if Ward is out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, dex said:

As of now Burrow is required to do a mandatory press conference tomorrow now that it's game week. Not sure if he can get out of it if he shows up on the injury report though. He has not done any media whatsoever since the first day of training camp, the day before he injured his calf. I would guess that there will be a big push to get the contract settled before he has to talk before the press while being asked  uncomfortable questions.

 

I don't think either side is worried about being asked uncomfortable questions enough to rush this deal, which will be one of the biggest if not the biggest in NFL history. The Cincy media is not going to do anything to get on Burrow's bad side, especially push him on something like his contract if he makes it clear he doesn't want to talk about it. 

 

 The deal will get done when it gets done, no amount of pressure from the Cincy media is going to affect the timing of this deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

 

I don't think either side is worried about being asked uncomfortable questions enough to rush this deal, which will be one of the biggest if not the biggest in NFL history. The Cincy media is not going to do anything to get on Burrow's bad side, especially push him on something like his contract if he makes it clear he doesn't want to talk about it. 

 

 The deal will get done when it gets done, no amount of pressure from the Cincy media is going to affect the timing of this deal. 

It is already weeks too late to rush the deal. Everything has moved at a snail's pace. If they aren't very close to an agreement by this point, then maybe it doesn't get done until after the season. Doubt talks will continue past Sunday's game. Hopefully a contract is signed before Sunday, maybe today or tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since Burrow has had a year-long injury already in the past, I can't imagine he would go into this season with the possibility of putting hundreds of millions of dollars in jeopardy.

 

If he were to rupture an achilles week 1, then they likely wouldn't give him an extension this season at all, or perhaps even before next year (and make him show he recovered well first by playing at a high level next season). Then they could also tag him the year after that. It's just way too risky and too much at stake for any agent in their right mind to risk (2% agent fee of a 300 million contract, is an easy 6 million bucks).

 

I would place the likelihood of a deal by Friday at 90% and would be SHOCKED if there is no deal in place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, dex said:

It is already weeks too late to rush the deal. Everything has moved at a snail's pace. If they aren't very close to an agreement by this point, then maybe it doesn't get done until after the season. Doubt talks will continue past Sunday's game. Hopefully a contract is signed before Sunday, maybe today or tomorrow.

 

Players negotiate on extensions during the season all the time, I know the Bengals historically don't but if Burrow wanted to do so... I'm sure they would. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns: Predictions, picks and odds for NFL Week 1 game

Victoria Hernandez, USA TODAY
Wed, Sep 6, 2023, 7:02 AM CDT·3 min read
 
 

The battle of Ohio kicks off the 2023 NFL season.

 

Deshaun Watson enters his second season with the Browns — his first full one — and has Amari Cooper, Donovan Peoples-Jones and tight end David Njoku to help power the offense. Last year, Nick Chubb held it down with his fourth 1,000-yard rushing season. Myles Garrett, who was tied for second in the league in 2022 with 16 sacks, will bolster the defense.

 

For Cincinnati, the dynamic duo of Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase returns. The quarterback threw 4,475 yards and a career-high 35 touchdowns last season while his receiver had 1,046 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. Burrow suffered a calf injury in training camp, but was back practicing last week.

 

The Bengals beat the Browns 32-13 on Halloween night last year. Does Cleveland have enough to spook their in-state rival with revenge in the season opener?

 

Browns vs. Bengals odds, moneyline, over/under

The Bengals are favorites to defeat the Browns, according to the BetMGM NFL odds. The game is among the best bets for NFL Week 1 games at the top NFL betting apps. Understanding different types of wagering such as NFL prop bets and NFL parlays is paramount to learning how to read NFL betting odds, picks, spreads and more.

 

Whether you are learning how to bet on sports or a seasoned sharp, USA TODAY readers can claim exclusive promos and bonus codes at the top sportsbooks and sports betting sites. You can also wager on popular NFL future bets such as the best NFL MVP odds and Super Bowl betting.

  • Spread: Bengals (-2.5)

  • Moneyline: Bengals (-135); Browns (+115)

  • Over/under: 48

You can view odds at the best mobile sports betting apps by using our NFL odds comparison page.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow (9) protects the ball in the pocket under pressure from Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett (95) in the second quarter of the NFL Week 14 game between the Cincinnati Bengals and the Cleveland Browns at Paycor Stadium in Cincinnati on Sunday, Dec. 11, 2022. The Bengals led 13-3 at halftime.  Cleveland Browns At Cincinnati Bengals Week 14
 
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow (9) protects the ball in the pocket under pressure from Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett (95) in the second quarter of the NFL Week 14 game between the Cincinnati Bengals and the Cleveland Browns at Paycor Stadium in Cincinnati on Sunday, Dec. 11, 2022. The Bengals led 13-3 at halftime. Cleveland Browns At Cincinnati Bengals Week 14

 

 

Lorenzo Reyes: Bengals 29, Browns 19

This is my favorite line of the week. Joe Burrow is healthy, the offense should be rolling and the Browns are banged up on defense. I don’t see a way, assuming no injuries, that Cincy doesn’t clear the spread by at least a field goal.

Tyler Dragon: Bengals 27, Browns 21

The Browns have won five of the last six Battle of Ohio matchups. Cleveland should try to run the football and chew up the clock against the Bengals. But the Browns probably won’t be able to score enough to keep up with the Bengals’ potent offense.

Victoria Hernandez: Bengals 24, Browns 21

Ja'Marr Chase and Joe Mixon shouldn't have a problem carrying the Bengals toward victory over the iffy Browns, even if their fearless quarterback is still recovering from injury.

Jordan Mendoza: Bengals 24, Browns 20

All eyes will be on whether Joe Burrow plays or if he’s 100% healthy. Regardless, Cincinnati has enough firepower offensively to get past the Browns.

You can view the full list of USA TODAY's NFL expert predictions here.

 

https://sports.yahoo.com/cincinnati-bengals-cleveland-browns-predictions-120224687.html?src=rss

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-ringer-not-fan-deshaun-124357006.html

 

 

Browns Wire :fistpump:

Browns: The Ringer is not a fan of Deshaun Watson

Cory Kinnan
 

We are now just a few days away from the return of Cleveland Browns football as they get set to open their season against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday afternoon. And ahead of the start of the regular season, The Ringer’s Steven Ruiz has released his quarterback rankings. To say he is not a fan of Deshaun Watson is an understatement, ranking him as the 21st-best quarterback in the league.

In Watson’s blurb, here is what Ruiz had to say about the Cleveland quarterback:

“It’s not a shock that Watson was rusty last season after sitting out for nearly two years and then serving an 11-game suspension following the NFL’s investigation into multiple accounts of sexual misconduct. At one time, Watson was widely viewed as a top-five quarterback thanks to a combination of accuracy and creativity. He can make plays in or out of the pocket and be used on designed runs. But whether that skill set is the same now remains to be seen.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...