Week 1 - Browns(stains) - News and Observations

Taking a guess at the 6 inactive players for week 1. There will likely be 4 linemen inactive - Ossai (injured) and Tufele on defense seems certain. DSmith has had a good training camp, but I'm thinking he will be down in week 1 to rest his shoulder. Scharping or Hill will likely be the inactive on the interior - probably will be Scharping if the team feels more comfortable with the more experienced snapper Hill as the backup center. I'm thinking 2 of the day 3 rookies - Ivey, Iosivas, Chase Brown - will be down for the opener. So much will depend on special teams value., but I feel like Ivey will be an inactive. I'm guessing Brown will be the other inactive since Iosivas has better special teams traits.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dex said:

Taking a guess at the 6 inactive players for week 1. There will likely be 4 linemen inactive - Ossai (injured) and Tufele on defense seems certain. DSmith has had a good training camp, but I'm thinking he will be down in week 1 to rest his shoulder. Scharping or Hill will likely be the inactive on the interior - probably will be Scharping if the team feels more comfortable with the more experienced snapper Hill as the backup center. I'm thinking 2 of the day 3 rookies - Ivey, Iosivas, Chase Brown - will be down for the opener. So much will depend on special teams value., but I feel like Ivey will be an inactive. I'm guessing Brown will be the other inactive since Iosivas has better special teams traits.

Iosivas will probably be active.

45 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

If this was the Deshaun Watson of 3 years ago, there would be more reason to worry. 

Hell, I would be more worried if the Browns were starting the dynamic rookie DTR at QB on Sunday.

But Rub&Tug is a shell of his former self.

Hope you are right, but I've everything I have heard suggests that Watson has alternated between looking horrible or spectacular in training camp. Meaning no one knows what to expect in a real game. Could be that his performance will continue to swing wildly from play to play or game to game,, but that will not be known until after the week 1 game is over.

For me, it's a combo of we start slow, Browns appear to have had this one circled extra hard, Burrow's uncertainty with his calf and the fact that the Browns completely revamped their entire front means they likely get pressure and force him to move on it, and the potentially wet field in a stadium where we have seen bad injuries to our players, etc. etc. etc.

Just...don't like this spot. At all. 

Have to say I agree with Mem.  Joe has to be a ton better than his first game with no preseason action than last year.  Hoping the D can smack the Clowns around enough to keep the offense within striking distance, but it is a tough spot against a team that has had the Bengals number. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dex said:

Could they activate someone from the practice squad and have them inactive?

Probably a dumb question but I don't know.

18 minutes ago, membengal said:

For me, it's a combo of we start slow, Browns appear to have had this one circled extra hard, Burrow's uncertainty with his calf and the fact that the Browns completely revamped their entire front means they likely get pressure and force him to move on it, and the potentially wet field in a stadium where we have seen bad injuries to our players, etc. etc. etc.

Just...don't like this spot. At all. 

Shoot me but...

I have an ugly, ugly feeling they will be playing "Kill the Burrow with the Ball".

Lots of late hits, cheap shots and going for the knees.

I wouldn't say the Clowns "have Burrow's number", but more that their strength is their DL, which when the Bengals had the worst OL in the NFL, created problems for Burrow as it would any QB.

It's like if the Bengals play a team with no CBs, they are going to light them up because the Bengal's strength is their WRs (see Baltimore when Shiesty went for 525 yds). 

• Upvote 1

The way for the Bengals to mitigate the Clowns pass rush is to get a score early, and perhaps a turnover, and then play with the lead.

This kind of "ugly" win, where you run the ball and do safe dump offs, is the way to beat Cleveland.

* Myles Garrett isn't any value to them if Burrow isn't taking 7 step drops. So I would only pass out of the shotgun as well. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The way for the Bengals to mitigate the Clowns pass rush is to get a score early, and perhaps a turnover, and then play with the lead.

This kind of "ugly" win, where you run the ball and do safe dump offs, is the way to beat Cleveland.

* Myles Garrett isn't any value to them if Burrow isn't taking 7 step drops. So I would only pass out of the shotgun as well. 

I would absolutely love to see the Bengals up by 14 half early...and have Burrow with a pedestrian stat line at the end of the game because they got up early and pounded the ball for the remainder of the game.

Don't need fancy and flashy...just need a solid win and get out healthy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1