Oiltans Week

'It's time to win': Titans players tired of empty winning talk amid losing trend

davenport_turron.png&h=80&w=80&scale=cro
Turron Davenport, ESPNSep 26, 2023, 06:00 AM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The words from Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel after their 27-3 loss to the Cleveland Browns in Week 3 had a very familiar tone.

"You play like that in this league, you coach like that in this league, you get your ass beat," Vrabel said.

The "coach better, play better" approach following losses has become Vrabel's stock answer.

The Titans (1-2) have scored 20 or more points once in their last 10 regular-season games. Subsequently, that one instance -- a 27-24 overtime victory over the Los Angeles Chargers in Week 2 -- is their lone win in that span.

Sunday was no different, and the Titans' lone points came on a drive that resulted in negative yards (minus-9). Fortunately for them, cornerback Sean Murphy-Bunting's strip and fumble recovery gave the offense the ball at Cleveland's 17-yard line.

Some of the team's bigger names such as quarterback Ryan Tannehill and defensive lineman Jeffery Simmons echo Vrabel's sentiment about playing better on both sides of the ball, but Simmons is at the point where he's tired of talking about it and ready to get the job done.

"That's getting old," Simmons said. "It's time to actually do it. We've been hearing that message every week. We talk about it so much -- 'we gotta do this, we gotta do that.' It's time to win and stop having the same thing over and over again."

Browns defensive end Myles Garrett almost single-handedly wrecked Tennessee's offense, which had its lowest output (94 yards) since the Titans moved to Nashville from Houston in 1997. Garrett finished with 3.5 sacks and five QB hits. Tennessee tried to use tight ends or a running back to chip on Garrett, but the pressure made it difficult for offensive coordinator Tim Kelly to get into a rhythm as a playcaller.

The Titans were constantly in third-and-long situations, setting the scene for Garrett to relentlessly pursue Tannehill.

Garrett offered up some pointers to left tackle Andre Dillard, whom he beat for three sacks, after the game.

"He told me what he saw and what he liked about my game, what I could have done differently," Dillard said. "It’s cool to see things from his perspective."

The lack of success was evident on the defensive side of the ball as well. Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson's Houdini-like escapes from would-be tacklers and pinpoint accuracy led to an 82% completion rate, 289 passing yards and two touchdown passes.

Cleveland converted six of its 13 third-down opportunities and had the ball for nearly 2/3 of the game. Simply put, the defense couldn't get off the field.

"We've got to hold each other accountable," running back Derrick Henry said. "Be a team and play like a team. It's all about how you stick together and make each other better."

Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill was sacked by Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett 3.5 times Sunday. 

Fellow team captain Kevin Byard said they have to find ways to get better and not let anyone get too down on themselves. Byard is a firm believer in the "play better" approach.

"It's true in a way," Byard said. "I always look at myself as I have to find ways to make more plays. Our best players have to play well. None of us played well enough to win a ball game."

Vrabel waited for the players outside the locker room after the game. He shook their hands and reminded them that it is still a long season.

This isn't the first time Vrabel's team has been faced with adversity.

"What resonates is we're going to compete just like we have for a lot of years," Vrabel said. "This isn't some kind of motivational speech. We're going to have a great week in practice, get back to work and figure out a way to win a game at home. It's a long season, but we're focused on this week."

Whether or not Vrabel's message is getting through will show when Tennessee hosts the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday (1 p.m. ET, CBS).

https://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/33641/titans-tired-talking-about-winning-amid-losing

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Since the Oilslickers kind of suck ass...

any thought to sitting Joe and maybe even

starting McCarron?  OK.  Browning.

But sit Joe.  A healthier Joe and a sloppy W?

Go Texans... beat the Squeels

Go... shit in your hats CFT and FCB (Former Cleveland Browns)

You actually believe Joe will sit it out..

Come on Harry!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Since the Oilslickers kind of suck ass...

any thought to sitting Joe and maybe even

starting McCarron?  OK.  Browning.

But sit Joe.  A healthier Joe and a sloppy W?

Go Texans... beat the Squeels

Go... shit in your hats CFT and FCB (Former Cleveland Browns)

mccarron has absolutely no idea what the offense is, and he has absolutely no way to learn it aside from post practice time with whomever can spend that time with him. 

mccarron isnt anywhere close to playing for the bengals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

mark schlereth fucking sucks, when i had a hour drive to work here in colorado, that clown was on local sports radio, fan favorite, has his own green chili "mark schlereth stinkin good green chili" no joke, had a truck driving around wrapped with that logo and stuff.

but he is a walking catchphrase about old school hard nose knuckle dragging bloody nose football. he is the one who talks about just piss your pants if you gotta go during a game, a mans man, que tim the toolman taylor grunting.

i fucking hate this guy, youre gonna hear at least 15 cliche "hardnose football" style comments during this game. and at least 2. "back in my day" macho-man stories.

man i fucking hate that guy.

• Like 1

looking at the Titans first three, weeks, has anyone watched them play?

watching the game highlights and reviews and the box scores, it looks like its the same old titans, stop the run on them and dont get tricked into getting beat deep by one of their B tier WR's.

theyve been kept to 3 points by the browns as well. Henry CANNOT go off if we want to win, itll be like the ravens game where we are just chasing our tails if he does. We know we have the guys to stop him, but its hard to stop that guy forever.

Tannehill sucks still, harass him a little and he will make mistakes.

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

You actually believe Joe will sit it out..

Come on Harry!

7 hours ago, GoBengals said:

mccarron has absolutely no idea what the offense is, and he has absolutely no way to learn it aside from post practice time with whomever can spend that time with him. 

mccarron isnt anywhere close to playing for the bengals.

Yeah, I know.

Joe Burrow will play...

with an ouch calf and short week.

Just threw McCaroon out there for food for thought.

But playing is not Joe's decision.

It is Zac and the coaching staff who make that call.

Paul Brown and Forrest Greg would have probably told

him to sit down and shut up.

If the Oilslickers are so beatable then perhaps Browning can do the job.  

Joe doesn't do it alone.  Ja'Marr and (hopefully) Tee, Tyler Boyd

are on the other end.  Maybe Irv Smurf's injury :whistle: will linger

and we will see more of Tanner Hudson or the intriguing pick up,

the big huggy bear from Pittsburgh.

And Mixon running the ball a few more times now that he seems to

have got his groove back on.

And out D and McFearsome's toe and  Brad Robbins's punting .

I think if we can beat the Tennessee Tuxedos without Joe and 

should give him an extra week off.

That said... he'll play.

• Like 1

Cincinnati Bengals at Tennessee Titans: Predictions, picks and odds for NFL Week 4 game

Victoria Hernandez, USA TODAY
Wed, Sep 27, 2023, 8:49 AM CDT·3 min read

The Cincinnati Bengals (1-2) take a newfound confidence into Week 4 with a road matchup against the Tennessee Titans (1-2) at Nissan Stadium on Sunday.

Both teams have had underperforming offenses as Joe Burrow has struggled with injury for the Bengals and Derrick Henry and the Titans offense have struggled to find a rhythm. The running back only has 163 yards and three touchdowns through three games.

Last week, Cincinnati captured its first win of the season, taking revenge for Super Bowl 56 over the Los Angeles Rams helped by two interceptions from Logan Wilson.

In their game last year, the Bengals and Titans were neck and neck until Burrow threw a fourth quarter touchdown to put the Bengals up for good as they won 20-16.

Cincinnati has won three straight games in the matchup, including a victory in the 2021 divisional round of the playoffs.

PROP TALK: These are the best prop bets for NFL games this week

Titans vs. Bengals odds, moneyline, over/under

The Bengals are favorites to defeat the Titans, according to the BetMGM NFL odds. Looking to wager? Check out the best mobile sports betting apps offering NFL betting promos in 2023.

• Spread: Bengals (-2.5)

• Moneyline: Bengals (-135); Titans (+115)

• Over/under: 41

Bengals QB Joe Burrow looks for an opening to pass against the Titans.  Syndication The Columbus Dispatch

Lorenzo Reyes: Titans 17, Bengals 14

Tennessee ran into Cleveland’s defense though, admittedly it played poorly all around. The Titans should be better, but coach Mike Vrabel’s record as a home underdog has been immaculate. The Bengals are still struggling to find footing and Joe Burrow does not look like himself.

Tyler Dragon: Bengals 21, Titans 17

Joe Burrow won’t be 100% healthy in this game. The Bengals’ offensive game plan will likely consist of a lot of short quick throws to protect Burrow from Tennessee’s pass rush. The Titans are struggling on offense with Ryan Tannehill. The Bengals defense is going to try to take Derrick Henry out of the game and force the Titans to rely on their passing game. It’s a winning recipe.

Victoria Hernandez: Bengals 20, Titans 17

Derrick Henry hasn't been in his usual form and the Bengals proved last week that they can get the job done. Surprisingly, it's not with their offense, but with their defense, which proved to be a formidable force.

Jordan Mendoza: Bengals 21, Titans 16

Cincinnati got a much needed win while Joe Burrow wasn’t 100%. He’s not back to his MVP-like form, but Tennessee’s offense hasn’t been anything to gloat about through three weeks. The Bengals win a defensive battle.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cincinnati-bengals-tennessee-titans-predictions-134956174.html

14 hours ago, GoBengals said:

mark schlereth fucking sucks, when i had a hour drive to work here in colorado, that clown was on local sports radio, fan favorite, has his own green chili "mark schlereth stinkin good green chili" no joke, had a truck driving around wrapped with that logo and stuff.

but he is a walking catchphrase about old school hard nose knuckle dragging bloody nose football. he is the one who talks about just piss your pants if you gotta go during a game, a mans man, que tim the toolman taylor grunting.

i fucking hate this guy, youre gonna hear at least 15 cliche "hardnose football" style comments during this game. and at least 2. "back in my day" macho-man stories.

man i fucking hate that guy.

How do you really feel about him?.😎

Your spot on about his boring analytical

views..

A couple good comments doesn't

mean he's good..

I sometimes turn the sound off on these types that just have to fill every second 

with meaningless comments.

• Upvote 1