WEEK 4: @ TITANS (GameDey thread)

1 minute ago, sois said:

That bowl loss will haunt me for the rest of my life or seems. That should have been my football walk off

yep, if we just coulda pulled that one out I wouldn't even be upset about anything anymore really. But I keep chasing the dragon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is not Joe Burrows fault. 

You can play and win with this Joe Burrow. 

The coaches on D and O are scheming AWFUL. 

If we have the best roster in the league, the best WRs in the league than you have to be able to scheme WRs open quickly. You have to be able to do more. 

Either you believe Joe Burrow can do it, although limited, and scheme appropriately. 

OR

You don't believe he can do it and you play the backup.

You can't believe he can do it and roll out this scheme. 

If we truly had the best WRs in the league we could still compete. 

This is on Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan (And Lou Anarumo) for terrible scheming

This is on Frank Pollack for being terrible overall

This is on Duke Tobin for not getting actual playmakers on the roster. Not paying a little more for Samaje Perrine. Not drafting a WR who can catch a 4 yard slant and go nuts. 

Every play is slow developing and long. Our WRs aren't open. It's a screen a slant or a deep pass. It's like we have those 4 plays in the original Madden. 

You can win with an unhealthy Joe Burrow. If you can't win with Jake Browning and the BEST WR unit in the NFL then they are not the best WR unit in the NFL literally go sign a Running QB who can get first downs. Go see how fast Colin Kaepernick is. 

• Upvote 1

The Bengals struggle with teams who can pound the run and with good DLs ... (see Cleveland and Tennessee today). 

The Bengals are constructed to win a track meet against a team like KC or the Bills.

But they currently don't have any firepower with a hobbled Burrow. So the entire machine doesn't work. 

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

The Bengals struggle with teams who can pound the run and with good DLs ... (see Cleveland and Tennessee today). 

The Bengals are constructed to win a track meet against a team like KC or the Bills.

But they currently don't have any firepower with a hobbled Burrow. So the entire machine doesn't work. 

They beat tennesse last year they have a good enough defense to beat them

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

Truth

46 minutes ago, BengalBacker said:

It just feels to me like we've lost the fire that made us good. Like we just expect good things to happen instead of making them happen.

So much this.  I said it last week that Burrow has none of the attitude he usualy has.  He's injured and a shadow of his former self.  He needs to sit.  Maybe the backups are worse, maybe they aren't.  We know the Bengals are going nowhere with Burrow playing like this.  Better to lose with a backup QB that watch Burrow get tagged over and over again.

Some of this is on Burrow's demand to play.  It's selfish.  He isn't helping.  He needs to get right and pushing it like this isn't getting him better faster.  Seems like J'Marr Chase is the only adult in the room.  Taylor's scheme is awful.  Always has been.  The Bengals have only been effective when Burrow takes over and does his magic.  Well, he can't do his magic in the shape he's in right now and we see the emperor has no clothes as an OC. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Can someone please find me the chart for WR space/win rate/openness. I can't remember what it was called but we were dead last. Our WRs in Taylors scheme are never open

I saw that in the Rat game. Like they were stuck to Velcro. I was astounded they only gave up one coverage sack, given there was never an open receiver

Shut it down.. I know 1-3 isn't the end of the world, but in the Bengals case they should just shut it down. This team will go nowhere unless Burrow plays to his potential, and if he does not then bench him until he gets his head on straight. He's an embarrassment right now to the organization after paying him the most of any player ever. 

10 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Better to lose with a backup QB that watch Burrow get tagged over and over again.

You know, and I know, that once this would be enacted the press (and every Budlight-buying couch fan) will howl about “quitting”. 

No amount of “next year” will satisfy that. It will be baked in.