The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and Everything In Between

2 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

One thing I noticed yesterday was that Mixon and the receivers rarely broke any tackles - they usually went down as soon as they were touched.  If that happens again Thursday, we're going to get killed.

1 hour ago, Griever said:

:blink:

Not on that run. He fought for the yards.

4 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

yesterday was a kick in the nuts, very disappointing performance by the Bengals at home vs an AFC opponent, this is the type of game that can hurt your playoff chances if there is a tie-breaker...the Bengals were supposed to be better than this, but in reality, they are not.... here are my observations:

• Zac Taylor gets too pass happy with the play calling, he goes away from the run too early and doesn't call runs when the situation screams for it. Example #1, right after TB83 great catch and run and the Bengals are on the 9-yard line, with under two minutes to go and it's first and goal. You have to run the ball to force Houston to call a TO or run down the clock, they did neither and it bit them in the ass later on when Houston had a TO and enough clock to get in FG range to win the game...that is basic level call playing that Zac frequently gets wrong but the Bengals superior offensive talent covers up for him. Taylor got out-coached by Ryans, a rookie HC with a  rookie QB...it was embarrassing. 
  • TB83 has to catch the ball in the end zone, an upcoming free agent that wants a big payday can't afford to drop that pass. I know he's sick about it but he has to catch the ball in that situation
  • Germaine Pratt's tackling is a problem, he went for the strip on Noah Brown instead of going for the tackle in a crucial moment and turned a +45-yard field goal into a very makeable field goal. He was taking poor angles and whiffing on tackles all game, yes he makes big plays with strips and INTs but he has to tackle better since that is literally his main job function.
  • The safety play was awful, Nick Scott should be benched immediately. He's on a 1-year deal and I would rather see the rookie back there learning and making mistakes than a guy that won't be here next year. Not sure why the Bengals didn't outbid Carolina for Vonn Bell but that was a big mistake as the defense isn't on the same level as last year mainly because of the inconsistent play in the secondary, starting with the safeties...those guys were running around like they had no clue or awareness and Scott was frequently out of position and whiffing on tackles when he was in position...

We signed Scott to a 3 year deal. And yes he is every bit as bad as we think.

• Upvote 1

Just now, PatternMaster said:

Yikes...I guess I wanted it to be a 1 year deal after seeing him play... he sucks. 

Thankfully the cap hit to cut him isnt that big of a deal. 

Nick Scott Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Gonna need to draft another Safety though. Even if Battle shows up and shows out, Anderson can't stay healthy to rely on him as the 3rd guy.

• Upvote 1

Taylor has said  (a few eeks ago) that he has called more run plays but Joe audibles out of them. Given how average the OL is at pass protection, I think JB needs to understand that it is to everyone's benefit to run the ball more whether it is working or not. There has to be some respect for the run otherwise the rush is on. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

How many times did Burrow take a snap from under the center?

It had to be less than 10.

To me, it seems the offense runs a lot better when he is under center.

Very little play action, and misdirection plays were called yesterday.

Is Joe comfortable running under center? It seems like he prefers shotgun. He really needs to work on that.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Yesterday was a kick in the nuts, very disappointing performance by the Bengals at home vs an AFC opponent, this is the type of game that can hurt your playoff chances if there is a tie-breaker...the Bengals were supposed to be better than this, but in reality, they are not.... here are my observations:

• Zac Taylor gets too pass happy with the play calling, he goes away from the run too early and doesn't call runs when the situation screams for it. Example #1, right after TB83 great catch and run and the Bengals are on the 9-yard line, with under two minutes to go and it's first and goal. You have to run the ball to force Houston to call a TO or run down the clock, they did neither and it bit them in the ass later on when Houston had a TO and enough clock to get in FG range to win the game...that is basic level call playing that Zac frequently gets wrong but the Bengals superior offensive talent covers up for him. Taylor got out-coached by Ryans, a rookie HC with a  rookie QB...it was embarrassing. 
  • TB83 has to catch the ball in the end zone, an upcoming free agent that wants a big payday can't afford to drop that pass. I know he's sick about it but he has to catch the ball in that situation
  • Germaine Pratt's tackling is a problem, he went for the strip on Noah Brown instead of going for the tackle in a crucial moment and turned a +45-yard field goal into a very makeable field goal. He was taking poor angles and whiffing on tackles all game, yes he makes big plays with strips and INTs but he has to tackle better since that is literally his main job function.
  • The safety play was awful, Nick Scott should be benched immediately. He's on a 1-year deal and I would rather see the rookie back there learning and making mistakes than a guy that won't be here next year. Not sure why the Bengals didn't outbid Carolina for Vonn Bell but that was a big mistake as the defense isn't on the same level as last year mainly because of the inconsistent play in the secondary, starting with the safeties...those guys were running around like they had no clue or awareness and Scott was frequently out of position and whiffing on tackles when he was in position...

The Bengals came into this game with low energy and thinking that they were the better team, they need to have more sense of urgency and commitment to details and fundamentals if they are going to do anything this season. It's unfortunate but every game is now a must-win. 

Once more, all this team has done so far is lose a Superbowl. Get over the "just happy to be here" stuff and be that kind of hungry again.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Is Joe comfortable running under center? It seems like he prefers shotgun. He really needs to work on that.

Installing that 4-5 weeks into the season was not ideal. The bye helped but it's obviously still a work in progress, starting with the OL. 

Think some of the guys are also looking ahead to free agency. 

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Installing that 4-5 weeks into the season was not ideal. The bye helped but it's obviously still a work in progress, starting with the OL. 

Think some of the guys are also looking ahead to free agency. 

Yeah Joe getting hurt again slowed everything. Camp is the most ideal time to get installs done. Hope someday he gets to participate 

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yeah Joe getting hurt again slowed everything. Camp is the most ideal time to get installs done. Hope someday he gets to participate  

He's good enough to make up for it, not so sure about the other 10-15 guys asked to execute those plays. 

You're right though, they need him healthy through camp for all sorts of reasons. Out front & leading the team the entire way - that's another SB.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Yesterday was a kick in the nuts, very disappointing performance by the Bengals at home vs an AFC opponent, this is the type of game that can hurt your playoff chances if there is a tie-breaker...the Bengals were supposed to be better than this, but in reality, they are not.... here are my observations:

The Bengals came into this game with low energy and thinking that they were the better team, they need to have more sense of urgency and commitment to details and fundamentals if they are going to do anything this season. It's unfortunate but every game is now a must-win. 

I agree with all of this. It was actually first and goal at the SEVEN with under 2 minutes to play. Somehow Zac turned that into a field goal while taking maybe 25 seconds off the clock. They got the ball back with 1:33 left in the game. That is fucking astounding and I still can't wrap my mind around it. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Once more, all this team has done so far is lose a Superbowl. Get over the "just happy to be here" stuff and be that kind of hungry again.

Frustration understood but

would any be having this conversation if Boyd makes the catch and they're

6-3?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, A Rock said:

I agree with all of this. It was actually first and goal at the SEVEN with under 2 minutes to play. Somehow Zac turned that into a field goal while taking maybe 25 seconds off the clock. They got the ball back with 1:33 left in the game. That is fucking astounding and I still can't wrap my mind around it. 

Wrap your head around the Oline still sucks big-time and JBs faith  in them is waniing more and more.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, A Rock said:

Do  we know how when and how many audibles JB calls!????

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

He prefers shotgun so he can see the bull rushers about to hit him.

Under center they're on  his back before he can turn..😎

• Upvote 1

Joe had a couple bad passes, but was fine.. The second pick was a really bad decision. 

Tyler dropped most likely a game winning pass right in his hand... tough play

BUT:

the defense was total shit yesterday. 

Couldn't stop the run, couldn't stop the pass.. and I don't care who was out, they had more people pout than us.. 

oh well... the NFL is tough... on to Baltimore

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

One thing I noticed yesterday was that Mixon and the receivers rarely broke any tackles - they usually went down as soon as they were touched.  If that happens again Thursday, we're going to get killed.

Texans use wrap around tackling.

Funny how that work well for a defense.

I think  the Ravens will try more  punchouts and tackle to put a hurt on.

Typical AFCN play.

Could work in our favor or even up

tackling ability by both teams 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, saphead said:

No time to pout,  we have a game in 3 days, Yay NFL safety!!

Exactly.

Bengal-Raven matchup could and should be higher ratings than the Bills.

I know I'm excited about this matchup.

Must win in order to win the AFCN..

My question is who the hell are we?

Im still not sure 

Hopefully they bring it Thursday 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Wrap your head around the Oline still sucks big-time and JBs faith  in them is waniing more and more.

So abandon clock management and let the "sucks big-time" Oline give up an 8 yard sack. Clock advantage gone. Field position gone. Thanks for making it make sense.