17 hours ago, JC said:

I don’t know anything about him - but interesting.

I really like this guy.

I was originally thinking/hoping Round 2

but am now thinking if we don't take him in Round 1

Pittsburgh will and in typical Pittsburgh Center form, abuse us

for the next decade.

Can actually see Pittsburgh drafting up to get him if they think we are

interested like the did with (name slips my mind)

High School Harry's other draft faves,

Mims, (now) Guyton and Sweat could slide to Round 2

and if so, trade up and grab one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

I don’t really see any way Jackson Powers-Johnson makes it into R2, he’s gonna be the first IOL off the board. More than likely he’s a top 20 guy. 

I would take him at 18 and not think twice (unless a top 10 pick drops out for whatever reason).
Solidify the line with a perennial pro bowler at C, move Karras to G where he’s played before and played well, let Cappa go unless he was dealing with an injury. This was a (uncharacteristically) bad year for Cappa so maybe it was injury related. No matter, fix the line. That would be my #1 priority on both sides of the ball. 

• Upvote 1

Pretty important that probably sees C2/C3/C6 more than any other team in the league outside the Phins.

If Ladd runs well at the combine he won’t in discussion in round 2. Nabers going top 10. BT jr. maybe not as great of a fit as I thought.

• Like 1

Senior Bowl winners by position: Spencer Rattler, Roman Wilson boost NFL Draft stock

Senior Bowl winners by position: Spencer Rattler, Roman Wilson boost NFL Draft stock
By Dane Brugler
Feb 3, 2024

MOBILE, Ala. — Being crowned a top Senior Bowl practice player doesn’t necessarily mean a prospect will be the first off the board at their respective position. But several players certainly helped their draft chances this week.

A year ago, Darnell Wright was the most consistent offensive tackle during Senior Bowl practices, and he ultimately was drafted top 10. Jayden Reed made the most plays of any receiver and went from a borderline top-100 pick to the No. 50 pick by the Green Bay Packers. Keeanu Benton grabbed the attention of head coach Mike Tomlin with his one-on-one wins and became the Pittsburgh Stealers’ second-round pick.

Based on my observations this week, here are my picks for the top performers at each position during Senior Bowl practices:

Quarterback: Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

I was tempted to leave this spot blank because none of the quarterbacks were particularly impressive. Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. had his moments, but was very much up and down. Oregon’s Bo Nix started slow and got progressively better throughout the week. The overall on-field play by Penix and Nix, however, didn’t live up to the hype.

ADVERTISEMENT

In my Senior Bowl preview, I wrote that Rattler was the quarterback who could “make the greatest jump during the draft process,” and I thought this week’s practices were a nice first step toward that. Rattler showed off his outstanding arm talent and delivered well-timed, tight spirals to all levels of the field. He also displayed the ability to layer throws, giving his receivers a chance to go make a play.

Play: Video

One of the key concerns with Rattler off his college tape was his ability to play with urgency (mentally and physically) to combat the rush. These practices don’t really give evaluators a chance to answer that question, so I don’t think Rattler dramatically improved his draft grade this week, but he made a solid impression. (Update: Rattler was named MVP of Saturday’s game.)

A close second behind Rattler was Tulane’s Michael Pratt, who showed a natural feel for timing and placement. His physical traits are more good than great, but Pratt operates with intelligence, rhythm and a general sense of where to attack the defense.

Running back: Dylan Laube, New Hampshire

Kentucky’s Ray Davis caught the ball really well during the week, as did USC’s MarShawn Lloyd. But Laube was on a different level, which should have been expected by anyone who watched his tape from this past season — specifically, the Central Michigan game.

Laube, well put together at 5-foot-10 and 210 pounds, consistently put linebackers in conflict with his quickness on pivot routes and ability to snare the football. He also went through some wide receiver drills and was beating cornerbacks downfield while showing above-average tracking and finishing skills.

The Danny Woodhead comparisons are a little on the nose, but they fit. Laube could be drafted anywhere on Day 3 and I wouldn’t be surprised.

Wide receiver: Roman Wilson, Michigan

Like I noted in my preview, Wilson, Western Kentucky’s Malachi Corley and Georgia’s Ladd McConkey entered the week with similar grades as my top three Senior Bowl receivers, and that didn’t change based on the week of practice. Wilson stood out a tad more than the others because of his separating skills to win early and late.

ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson has short-area quickness and long speed, but more impressive is his ability to create breakpoint leverage by stemming corners off balance. At times, he moves a little too fast and can lose his balance out of breaks. However, Wilson caught the ball well in Mobile and showed off his compete skills, cementing his status as a top-75 prospect in a receiver-rich draft.

Two other receivers who really stood out during the week: Florida’s Ricky Pearsall and Tulane’s Jha’Quan Jackson. I’ll be surprised if both aren’t productive pros as early as their rookie seasons.

Tight end: Theo Johnson, Penn State

With his size, Johnson (6-6, 257) moves well and gives his quarterback a large target. He’s still rough around the edges and needs development time before he is ready for a full-time NFL role, but the tools are enticing and were on display during Senior Bowl drills. Somewhere on Day 2, an NFL team is going to invest in the chance to cultivate that talent.

I also liked what I saw from TCU’s Jared Wiley through two practices before he exited with an injury.

Offensive tackle: Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma

Offensive linemen are at a disadvantage in one-on-ones because they are left on an island without any help. But Guyton was the most consistent holding up in that space.

At 6-7, 328 with 34 1/4-inch arms, Guyton’s frame and movement skills pass the eye test. Though his athleticism wasn’t a surprise, his ability to anchor versus power, re-leverage his hands and then finish was impressive to watch.

Not every rep was perfect, but Guyton entered the week as a strong candidate to be the first Senior Bowl player taken in the draft — and he leaves it the same way. I expect him to be selected somewhere in the top half of Round 1.

Guard: Christian Haynes, Connecticut

Several guards had their moments this week, including Illinois’ Isaiah Adams and Miami’s Javion Cohen. But the most consistent player at the position, from start to finish, was Haynes.

Though not a top-tier athlete, Haynes positions himself well with his lower body, then uses his long arms and strong hands to clamp down on defenders. He has enough balance in his core to ride the bull and then finish with authority. Haynes entered the week as a borderline top-100 prospect, but he boosted his chances of being drafted on Day 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Center: Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon

Picking the top practice player at some positions was tough. It was pretty easy at others, like center. Just as with his 2023 tape, it was hard to find the bad reps for Powers-Johnson this week. You only need one hand to count his missteps during the entire week of practice.

Is Powers-Johnson the most technically refined player? No, which reflects a 21-year-old with only one year as a college starter. But his physical traits and reaction skills were outstanding in Mobile. He played balanced through contact with the play strength and quickness to smoothly answer whatever is thrown at him.

It didn’t matter if he lined up at guard or center, Powers-Johnson played at a high level for two practices before a nagging hamstring issue forced a premature exit Wednesday. He entered the week as a projected top-25 pick and leaves the same way.

Edge: Darius Robinson, Missouri

Several of the pass rushers flashed throughout the week. Western Michigan’s Marshawn Kneeland looked like a player who wants to be a second-round pick. Penn State’s Adisa Isaac was as explosive, as expected, and confirmed the top-100 grades several scouts gave him in the fall.

But, like center, this position was easy to pick. At 6-5, 286 with long arms (34 3/4 inches) and big hands (10 1/2 inches), there has never been a question about Robinson looking the part. He played at a high level through much of the 2023 season, then continued that momentum in Mobile.

Robinson can win with power and quickness, but also showed an array of different setup and finishing moves. He won from various alignments, both inside and outside the tackle. In my mid-January mock draft, Robinson came off the board in the second round to the Ravens. Now, it feels more likely that Baltimore would need to use a first-round pick if it wants to get him.

Defensive tackle: T’Vondre Sweat, Texas

Ohio State’s Michael Hall Jr. had numerous flashes, as did Baylor’s Gabe Hall and Florida State’s Braden Fiske. But Sweat (unsurprisingly) was the most dominant defensive tackle throughout the week.

Sweat — who’s likely around the 360-pound mark — opted not to step on the scale in Mobile, but he showed up during one-on-ones and team drills. He uses his natural power to bully the man in front of him, but he also has enough quickness to attack multiple gaps and blow up runs.

These practices are structured for a player of his talent to impress. Can he sustain that level of play against an up-tempo NFL offense? That will be the key to determining how early Sweat will be drafted, a conversation similar to the one had about Georgia’s Jordan Davis two years ago.

Linebacker: JD Bertrand, Notre Dame

It might not be the flashiest draft class for linebackers, but there were several solid prospects at the position in Mobile. I’m giving the edge to Bertrand as much for the way he played as for the leadership he showed.

Bertrand sees things well and has the ability to diagnose and drive, which he showed on multiple occasions during practice. But what also stood out was his communication with his teammates — providing coaching, encouragement or praise between drills. A two-time captain for the Irish, Bertrand’s intangibles will set him apart from other similarly graded linebackers in this draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Cornerback: Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo

Already in the first-round mix (No. 22 to the Philadelphia Eagles in my mid-January mock), Mitchell could have skipped this week. But he elected to compete and was outstanding on all three days of practice.

Practice one-on-ones heavily favor the wide receivers because they can work the entire field and cornerbacks are left guessing with zero leverage help from the rest of the defense. Nonetheless, Mitchell consistently locked down receivers with patience in press, balance in his transition and the ability to locate to disrupt to finish. He didn’t go undefeated during drills, especially against Wilson, but he easily had the highest win percentage among the cornerbacks here.

Mitchell started the season as a projected second-round pick (No. 35 in my October top 50), but he continued to rise over the final half of the season and kept that momentum during Senior Bowl week. Alabama’s Terrion Arnold is entrenched as my CB1, but Mitchell has made a strong case for CB2.

Safety: Tykee Smith, Georgia

I didn’t think there was a clear-cut “winner” among the safeties, as all of them seemed to have up-and-down moments. But Smith caught my eye on a few occasions, particularly with his compete skills at the catch point.

After playing the “star” nickel position at Georgia, Smith appeared comfortable negotiating space in coverage during drills, which highlighted the instincts and finishing skills that made him an All-SEC player in 2023. He looks like a rookie special teamer who has the versatility to compete for immediate snaps in an NFL secondary.

• Upvote 1

The 15 most intriguing 2024 NFL Draft prospects from East-West Shrine Bowl

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA - NOVEMBER 18: Malik Washington #4 of the Virginia Cavaliers celebrates at touchdown in the first half during a game against the Duke Blue Devils at Scott Stadium on November 18, 2023 in Charlottesville, Virginia. (Photo by Ryan M. Kelly/Getty Images)
By Nick Baumgardner
Feb 2, 2024

FRISCO, Texas — The oldest college all-star game in the country got together for the 99th time this week in Texas.

The 2024 East-West Shrine Bowl held practices ahead of Thursday’s game inside The Ford Center at The Star, the practice facility of the Dallas Cowboys. Players went through two padded practices and two non-padded in front of NFL scouts, before playing the game itself. The West won on Thursday night, 26-11.

ADVERTISEMENT

Below are 15 of the most intriguing players from this year’s event …

(The following players did not practice this week due to injury, but were available for NFL team interviews: Texas RB Jonathon Brooks, Texas TE Ja’Tavion Sanders, Miami DT Leonard Taylor, Texas A&M LB Edgerrin Cooper, Utah edge Jonah Elliss, Washington edge Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Florida State QB Jordan Travis.)

Malik Washington (5-foot-8 1/2, 192 pounds), WR, Virginia

Washington was likely the best overall prospect in Frisco — and certainly the best receiver. His foot speed and athletic fluidity were too much for most defensive backs in team or one-on-one situations.

Size will be a concern here, but Washington has tape to back up what we saw, as he finished the year with 11 contested catches (and 34 for his career at Virginia). A very good football player.

Fabien Lovett (6-3 3/8, 307), DT, Florida State

Lovett dominated the first day of practice, and I’m not sure anyone blocked him clean in any situation. He was consistently the fastest player off the ball, winning with his hands and power. He blew up runs and created pressures over the ball with his 84-inch wingspan (and 10 3/8-inch mitts).

He and Christian Mahogany (who’s also on this list) had some really good fights. Though Lovett didn’t maintain an impressive level of dominance throughout the week, his performance was good enough not to forget. A multi-year captain for the Seminoles after transferring ahead of the 2021 season, Lovett loves football — and it shows.

Tahj Washington (5-9 7/8, 177), WR, USC

The book on Tahj Washington isn’t much different than the one on Malik Washington, but the former is even lighter. While he’ll be more limited in the NFL in terms of what he can do, the burst and body control are for real.

Washington is also very competitive in the air and made more than a few acrobatic catches on off-target throws downfield this week. A quality player, Washington finished at 3.06 yards per route run last season with Caleb Williams as his QB.

Darius Muasau (5-11 6/8, 234), LB, UCLA

The best linebacker at the Shrine Bowl, Muasau (more than 50 combined starts between UCLA and Hawaii) led a stingy Bruins defense with 38 run stops last season. He showed great burst and fluidity in coverage this week and was the most physical in the group via run fits. He ran alongside Penn State linebacker Curtis Jacobs — a very fast defender — in most individual drills.

Muasau also was the loudest linebacker on the field and seemed to be the most in control setting defenses during team periods. He could be bigger, but he’s a quality high-floor linebacker prospect.

Dylan McMahon (6-2 7/8, 295), C, NC State

Don’t get lost in the measurables here. Despite a small frame and less-than-ideal length, McMahon is an explosive, balanced athlete who’ll jump very well — he was a member of Bruce Feldman’s 2022 Freaks List. I didn’t see him lose a padded rep in team drills. McMahon’s hand speed and general burst off the snap was too much for just about everyone he encountered, in protection or in the run game.

One of his first reps of the week came against Auburn bull rusher Justin Rogers (6-2, 338). McMahon got his hands on Rogers first, maintained leverage and ate the former five-star recruit’s best shot with great anchor and balance throughout the rep.

Tip Reiman (6-4 3/8, 273), TE, Illinois

So, first off, he’s a giant. Reiman measured in this week with 33 1/8-inch arms and 10 3/8-inch hands. Additionally, he was the fastest Shrine Bowl TE on the GPS (18.79 miles per hour). His speed and and ability to separate at his size were very noticeable, and his general movement skills are above-average.

ADVERTISEMENT

He could be better and more consistent at the catch point. But Reiman, who didn’t have a drop last season, is a very interesting pass catcher. He’s also a physical, willing blocker off the snap.

Christian Mahogany (6-2 4/8, 318), G, Boston College

There was an awful lot to like about Mahogany’s game long before he declared for the Shrine Bowl, and the power he displayed at Boston College showed up over and over this week. When Mahogany wins with leverage at the point of attack, it’s mostly over for the defender. He has real-deal power and the ability to finish against just about anyone.

Mahogany showed great communication skills in Texas, too, routinely making sure his teammate heard his calls during double drills and in pass protection. He’s a sturdy Day 2 prospect.

Caedan Wallace (6-4 3/8, 322), OT, Penn State

The Nittany Lions’ starter opposite likely top-10 pick Olu Fashanu the last two years, Wallace plays with terrific feet and can really move in space — both up to the second level and beyond. He was consistently one of the quickest tackles off the snap in run drills early in the week with pads on, and while he’ll occasionally lunge or fall off a block in the run game, there’s a ton to like here.

Wallace measured in with 33 5/8-inch arms and 10 1/2-inch hands and showed the second-highest max acceleration GPS number of any offensive lineman.

Khristian Boyd (6-2 1/8, 320), DL, Northern Iowa

Boyd had some truly dominant stretches early in the week. That tapered off a bit in further practices, but his best moments were outstanding. Boyd plays with great burst and quick hands off the snap, and he also has terrific grip strength. During a pass-rush rep early in the week, Boyd got his hands inside Mahogany and tossed him to win inside.

Boyd had some trouble maintaining consistent leverage later in the week, and got stuck on a few doubles as a result. He’s not long and has to win with burst, but it’s pretty awesome when he does.

Eyabi Okie-Anoma (6-3 7/8, 253), Edge, Charlotte

A former five-star recruit who also played at Alabama and Michigan before transferring to Charlotte, Okie-Anoma was one of the most explosive pass-rushing edges in padded drills. He also showed one of the more advanced move sets, beatings tackles with spins and inside counter moves without much trouble. Okie-Anoma topped out at 17.35 mph on the GPS.

ADVERTISEMENT

There are issues here, though. He’s nowhere near the same level of player in the run game, and his length is not ideal. But he is a very twitchy athlete who — if put in the right developmental situation — could wind up as an intriguing low-risk add for someone. Clemson’s Xavier Thomas is in a similar bucket.

Mason McCormick (6-4, 310), G, South Dakota State

One of the Jackrabbits’ several Shrine Bowl standouts, joining OT Garret Greenfield, WRs Jaxon and Jadon Janke, and TE Zach Heins. McCormick more than held his own inside working at guard or center.

He plays with good length and quick hands. When he lands his punch and gets his base planted, most reps are over. McCormick, who started 57 straight games, was consistent in team and individual work and also showed a nasty streak, playing through the whistle on everything.

Trajan Jeffcoat (6-4, 266), Edge, Arkansas

When Jeffcoat lands his punch, it’s like a bus driving through a garage door. He erased a tackle with a bull rush during Sunday’s padded practice, one of the most physically dominant one-on-one reps of the day. Jeffcoat showed up in Frisco about 15 pounds lighter than the weight Arkansas listed him at this season.

Another defensive lineman who dropped weight and made waves: Florida Atlantic’s Evan Anderson (6-0, 319).

M.J. Devonshire (5-11 1/8, 179), CB, Pitt

Long enough (33 1/4-inch arms) to make a few offensive linemen jealous, Devonshire combines elite length with terrific foot speed and patience. He can be effective both in man and zone, and has an ability to explode. He could be faster, but his length helps him make up for it — his controlled, agile approach makes it tough to get on top of him vertically.

Devonshire had the fifth-fastest maximum acceleration time of any player at the Shrine Bowl during padded practices. He finished with four picks and nine forced incompletions last season at Pitt.

Qwan’tez Stiggers (5-11 3/8, 203), CB, CFL

One of the best stories in the 2024 draft. The former Toronto Argonaut and CFL Defensive Rookie of the Year last season did not play a down of college football, but he offers great burst and closing speed, solid ball skills and great fluidity as a zone defender. Stiggers was pesky in man coverage during Shrine Bowl practices, both in press and off-coverage. He got his hands on multiple balls throughout the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Stiggers heard from all 32 NFL teams at the Shrine Bowl. He’s a willing tackler who has the build to play corner or safety, and he topped out at 19.93 mph on the GPS.

Dadrion Taylor-Demerson (5-10, 189), S, Texas Tech

Taylor-Demerson had the most impressive play of last weekend’s practices: a terrific pick six off BYU QB Kedon Slovis. Slovis’ throw was errant, but Taylor-Demerson plucked the ball mid-sprint and took it back the other way for a score.

There are size limitations here, but Taylor-Demerson plays with terrific closing speed — he hit 20.31 mph during practice and was sticky in man coverage throughout the week. Even if he lost a rep, his speed to close and make a play on the ball was hard to ignore. He’s another defender who was vocal throughout the week as a table-setting free safety.

• Upvote 1

Mock Draft Monday.

Taliese FuagaOT Oregon State
T'Vondre SweatDT Texas
Ja'Lynn PolkWR Washington
Jaden HicksS Washington State
Tyler DavisDT Clemson
Drake NugentOC Michigan
Tyrice KnightLB UTEP
Isaac RexTE BYU
Jordan MageeLB Temple
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Mock Draft Monday.

18.NFL-team-logo
Taliese FuagaOT Oregon State
49.NFL-team-logo
T'Vondre SweatDT Texas
80.NFL-team-logo
Ja'Lynn PolkWR Washington
115.NFL-team-logo
Jaden HicksS Washington State
147.NFL-team-logo
Tyler DavisDT Clemson
174.NFL-team-logo
Drake NugentOC Michigan
195.NFL-team-logo
Tyrice KnightLB UTEP
234.NFL-team-logo
Isaac RexTE BYU
251.NFL-team-logo
Jordan MageeLB Temple

What site did you use for that?

1 hour ago, texbengal said:

The 15 most intriguing 2024 NFL Draft prospects from East-West Shrine Bowl

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA - NOVEMBER 18: Malik Washington #4 of the Virginia Cavaliers celebrates at touchdown in the first half during a game against the Duke Blue Devils at Scott Stadium on November 18, 2023 in Charlottesville, Virginia. (Photo by Ryan M. Kelly/Getty Images)
By Nick Baumgardner
Feb 2, 2024

FRISCO, Texas — The oldest college all-star game in the country got together for the 99th time this week in Texas.

The 2024 East-West Shrine Bowl held practices ahead of Thursday’s game inside The Ford Center at The Star, the practice facility of the Dallas Cowboys. Players went through two padded practices and two non-padded in front of NFL scouts, before playing the game itself. The West won on Thursday night, 26-11.

ADVERTISEMENT

Below are 15 of the most intriguing players from this year’s event …

(The following players did not practice this week due to injury, but were available for NFL team interviews: Texas RB Jonathon Brooks, Texas TE Ja’Tavion Sanders, Miami DT Leonard Taylor, Texas A&M LB Edgerrin Cooper, Utah edge Jonah Elliss, Washington edge Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Florida State QB Jordan Travis.)

Malik Washington (5-foot-8 1/2, 192 pounds), WR, Virginia

Washington was likely the best overall prospect in Frisco — and certainly the best receiver. His foot speed and athletic fluidity were too much for most defensive backs in team or one-on-one situations.

Size will be a concern here, but Washington has tape to back up what we saw, as he finished the year with 11 contested catches (and 34 for his career at Virginia). A very good football player.

Fabien Lovett (6-3 3/8, 307), DT, Florida State

Lovett dominated the first day of practice, and I’m not sure anyone blocked him clean in any situation. He was consistently the fastest player off the ball, winning with his hands and power. He blew up runs and created pressures over the ball with his 84-inch wingspan (and 10 3/8-inch mitts).

He and Christian Mahogany (who’s also on this list) had some really good fights. Though Lovett didn’t maintain an impressive level of dominance throughout the week, his performance was good enough not to forget. A multi-year captain for the Seminoles after transferring ahead of the 2021 season, Lovett loves football — and it shows.

Tahj Washington (5-9 7/8, 177), WR, USC

The book on Tahj Washington isn’t much different than the one on Malik Washington, but the former is even lighter. While he’ll be more limited in the NFL in terms of what he can do, the burst and body control are for real.

Washington is also very competitive in the air and made more than a few acrobatic catches on off-target throws downfield this week. A quality player, Washington finished at 3.06 yards per route run last season with Caleb Williams as his QB.

Darius Muasau (5-11 6/8, 234), LB, UCLA

The best linebacker at the Shrine Bowl, Muasau (more than 50 combined starts between UCLA and Hawaii) led a stingy Bruins defense with 38 run stops last season. He showed great burst and fluidity in coverage this week and was the most physical in the group via run fits. He ran alongside Penn State linebacker Curtis Jacobs — a very fast defender — in most individual drills.

Muasau also was the loudest linebacker on the field and seemed to be the most in control setting defenses during team periods. He could be bigger, but he’s a quality high-floor linebacker prospect.

Dylan McMahon (6-2 7/8, 295), C, NC State

Don’t get lost in the measurables here. Despite a small frame and less-than-ideal length, McMahon is an explosive, balanced athlete who’ll jump very well — he was a member of Bruce Feldman’s 2022 Freaks List. I didn’t see him lose a padded rep in team drills. McMahon’s hand speed and general burst off the snap was too much for just about everyone he encountered, in protection or in the run game.

One of his first reps of the week came against Auburn bull rusher Justin Rogers (6-2, 338). McMahon got his hands on Rogers first, maintained leverage and ate the former five-star recruit’s best shot with great anchor and balance throughout the rep.

Tip Reiman (6-4 3/8, 273), TE, Illinois

So, first off, he’s a giant. Reiman measured in this week with 33 1/8-inch arms and 10 3/8-inch hands. Additionally, he was the fastest Shrine Bowl TE on the GPS (18.79 miles per hour). His speed and and ability to separate at his size were very noticeable, and his general movement skills are above-average.

ADVERTISEMENT

He could be better and more consistent at the catch point. But Reiman, who didn’t have a drop last season, is a very interesting pass catcher. He’s also a physical, willing blocker off the snap.

Christian Mahogany (6-2 4/8, 318), G, Boston College

There was an awful lot to like about Mahogany’s game long before he declared for the Shrine Bowl, and the power he displayed at Boston College showed up over and over this week. When Mahogany wins with leverage at the point of attack, it’s mostly over for the defender. He has real-deal power and the ability to finish against just about anyone.

Mahogany showed great communication skills in Texas, too, routinely making sure his teammate heard his calls during double drills and in pass protection. He’s a sturdy Day 2 prospect.

Caedan Wallace (6-4 3/8, 322), OT, Penn State

The Nittany Lions’ starter opposite likely top-10 pick Olu Fashanu the last two years, Wallace plays with terrific feet and can really move in space — both up to the second level and beyond. He was consistently one of the quickest tackles off the snap in run drills early in the week with pads on, and while he’ll occasionally lunge or fall off a block in the run game, there’s a ton to like here.

Wallace measured in with 33 5/8-inch arms and 10 1/2-inch hands and showed the second-highest max acceleration GPS number of any offensive lineman.

Khristian Boyd (6-2 1/8, 320), DL, Northern Iowa

Boyd had some truly dominant stretches early in the week. That tapered off a bit in further practices, but his best moments were outstanding. Boyd plays with great burst and quick hands off the snap, and he also has terrific grip strength. During a pass-rush rep early in the week, Boyd got his hands inside Mahogany and tossed him to win inside.

Boyd had some trouble maintaining consistent leverage later in the week, and got stuck on a few doubles as a result. He’s not long and has to win with burst, but it’s pretty awesome when he does.

Eyabi Okie-Anoma (6-3 7/8, 253), Edge, Charlotte

A former five-star recruit who also played at Alabama and Michigan before transferring to Charlotte, Okie-Anoma was one of the most explosive pass-rushing edges in padded drills. He also showed one of the more advanced move sets, beatings tackles with spins and inside counter moves without much trouble. Okie-Anoma topped out at 17.35 mph on the GPS.

ADVERTISEMENT

There are issues here, though. He’s nowhere near the same level of player in the run game, and his length is not ideal. But he is a very twitchy athlete who — if put in the right developmental situation — could wind up as an intriguing low-risk add for someone. Clemson’s Xavier Thomas is in a similar bucket.

Mason McCormick (6-4, 310), G, South Dakota State

One of the Jackrabbits’ several Shrine Bowl standouts, joining OT Garret Greenfield, WRs Jaxon and Jadon Janke, and TE Zach Heins. McCormick more than held his own inside working at guard or center.

He plays with good length and quick hands. When he lands his punch and gets his base planted, most reps are over. McCormick, who started 57 straight games, was consistent in team and individual work and also showed a nasty streak, playing through the whistle on everything.

Trajan Jeffcoat (6-4, 266), Edge, Arkansas

When Jeffcoat lands his punch, it’s like a bus driving through a garage door. He erased a tackle with a bull rush during Sunday’s padded practice, one of the most physically dominant one-on-one reps of the day. Jeffcoat showed up in Frisco about 15 pounds lighter than the weight Arkansas listed him at this season.

Another defensive lineman who dropped weight and made waves: Florida Atlantic’s Evan Anderson (6-0, 319).

M.J. Devonshire (5-11 1/8, 179), CB, Pitt

Long enough (33 1/4-inch arms) to make a few offensive linemen jealous, Devonshire combines elite length with terrific foot speed and patience. He can be effective both in man and zone, and has an ability to explode. He could be faster, but his length helps him make up for it — his controlled, agile approach makes it tough to get on top of him vertically.

Devonshire had the fifth-fastest maximum acceleration time of any player at the Shrine Bowl during padded practices. He finished with four picks and nine forced incompletions last season at Pitt.

Qwan’tez Stiggers (5-11 3/8, 203), CB, CFL

One of the best stories in the 2024 draft. The former Toronto Argonaut and CFL Defensive Rookie of the Year last season did not play a down of college football, but he offers great burst and closing speed, solid ball skills and great fluidity as a zone defender. Stiggers was pesky in man coverage during Shrine Bowl practices, both in press and off-coverage. He got his hands on multiple balls throughout the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Stiggers heard from all 32 NFL teams at the Shrine Bowl. He’s a willing tackler who has the build to play corner or safety, and he topped out at 19.93 mph on the GPS.

Dadrion Taylor-Demerson (5-10, 189), S, Texas Tech

Taylor-Demerson had the most impressive play of last weekend’s practices: a terrific pick six off BYU QB Kedon Slovis. Slovis’ throw was errant, but Taylor-Demerson plucked the ball mid-sprint and took it back the other way for a score.

There are size limitations here, but Taylor-Demerson plays with terrific closing speed — he hit 20.31 mph during practice and was sticky in man coverage throughout the week. Even if he lost a rep, his speed to close and make a play on the ball was hard to ignore. He’s another defender who was vocal throughout the week as a table-setting free safety.

Reading the Duke Manyweather 

Reports was great .

Tks....

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Good picks

Rather have an  OT in first.

Receivers are deep.

• Upvote 1

2024 NFL draft rankings: Mel Kiper's Big Board, best prospects

kiper-jr_mel.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
Mel Kiper Jr., Football analyst 
Feb 2, 2024, 06:00 AM ET

Rankings last updated: Friday, Feb. 2.

Rankings at every position for the 2024 NFL draft

Quarterbacks

1. Caleb Williams, USC
2. Jayden Daniels, LSU
3. Drake Maye, North Carolina
4. J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
5. Michael Penix Jr., Washington
6. Bo Nix, Oregon
7. Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
8. Michael Pratt, Tulane
9. Joe Milton III, Tennessee
10. Jordan Travis, Florida State

Running backs

1. Jonathon Brooks, Texas
2. Trey Benson, Florida State
3. Audric Estime, Notre Dame
4. Blake Corum, Michigan
5. MarShawn Lloyd, USC
6. Rasheen Ali, Marshall
7. Ray Davis, Kentucky
8. Bucky Irving, Oregon
9. Braelon Allen, Wisconsin
10. Jaylen Wright, Tennessee

Wide receivers

1. Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State
2. Rome Odunze, Washington
3. Malik Nabers, LSU
4. Brian Thomas Jr., LSU
5. Keon Coleman, Florida State
6. Ladd McConkey, Georgia
7. Xavier Worthy, Texas
8. Adonai Mitchell, Texas
9. Xavier Legette, South Carolina
10. Troy Franklin, Oregon

Tight ends

1. Brock Bowers, Georgia
2. Ja'Tavion Sanders, Texas
3. Theo Johnson, Penn State
4. Cade Stover, Ohio State
5. Erick All, Iowa
6. Tanner McLachlan, Arizona
7. Jared Wiley, TCU
8. Mason Pline, Furman
9. Brevyn Spann-Ford, Minnesota
10. AJ Barner, Michigan

Fullbacks/H-backs

1. Bryson Nesbit, North Carolina
2. Ben Sinnott, Kansas State
3. Jaheim Bell, Florida State
4. Jack Westover, Washington
5. Dallin Holker, Colorado State
6. Trey Knox, South Carolina
7. Rivaldo Fairweather, Auburn
8. McCallan Castles, Tennessee
9. Brant Kuithe, Utah
10. Hayden Large, Iowa

Offensive tackles

1. Joe Alt, Notre Dame
2. Olu Fashanu, Penn State
3. Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State
4. JC Latham, Alabama
5. Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma
6. Amarius Mims, Georgia
7. Jordan Morgan, Arizona
8. Kingsley Suamataia, BYU
9. Patrick Paul, Houston
10. Javon Foster, Missouri

Guards

1. Troy Fautanu, Washington
2. Zak Zinter, Michigan
3. Christian Mahogany, Boston College
4. Christian Haynes, Connecticut
5. Dominick Puni, Kansas
6. Cooper Beebe, Kansas State
7. Javion Cohen, Miami
8. Joshua Gray, Oregon State
9. Sataoa Laumea, Utah
10. Brandon Coleman, TCU

Centers

1. Graham Barton, Duke
2. Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon
3. Zach Frazier, West Virginia
4. Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia
5. Matt Lee, Miami
6. Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin
7. Drake Nugent, Michigan
8. Beaux Limmer, Arkansas
9. Dylan McMahon, NC State
10. Kingsley Eguakun, Florida

Defensive ends

1. Jared Verse, Florida State
2. Darius Robinson, Missouri
3. Adisa Isaac, Penn State
4. Mohamed Kamara, Colorado State
5. Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan
6. Brandon Dorlus, Oregon
7. Justin Eboigbe, Alabama
8. Braiden McGregor, Michigan
9. Brennan Jackson, Washington State
10. Nelson Ceaser, Houston

Defensive tackles

1. Jer'Zhan Newton, Illinois
2. T'Vondre Sweat, Texas
3. Byron Murphy II, Texas
4. Kris Jenkins, Michigan
5. Leonard Taylor III, Miami
6. Braden Fiske, Florida State
7. McKinnley Jackson, Texas A&M
8. Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson
9. Keith Randolph Jr., Illinois
10. Mekhi Wingo, LSU

Off-ball linebackers

1. Edgerrin Cooper, Texas A&M
2. Jeremiah Trotter Jr., Clemson
3. Junior Colson, Michigan
4. Cedric Gray, North Carolina
5. Jaylan Ford, Texas
6. Tommy Eichenberg, Ohio State
7. Marist Liufau, Notre Dame
8. Trevin Wallace, Kentucky
9. Tyrice Knight, UTEP
10. Jontrey Hunter, Georgia State

Outside linebackers

1. Dallas Turner, Alabama
2. Laiatu Latu, UCLA
3. Chop Robinson, Penn State
4. Bralen Trice, Washington
5. Chris Braswell, Alabama
6. Payton Wilson, NC State
7. Jonah Elliss, Utah
8. Jaylen Harrell, Michigan
9. Javon Solomon, Troy
10. Jalyx Hunt, Houston Christian

Cornerbacks

1. Cooper DeJean, Iowa
2. Nate Wiggins, Clemson
3. Terrion Arnold, Alabama
4. Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo
5. Kamari Lassiter, Georgia
6. Ennis Rakestraw Jr., Missouri
7. Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama
8. T.J. Tampa, Iowa State
9. Kalen King, Penn State
10. Josh Newton, TCU

Safeties

1. Tyler Nubin, Minnesota
2. Kamren Kinchens, Miami
3. Jaden Hicks, Washington State
4. Javon Bullard, Georgia
5. Cole Bishop, Utah
6. Jaylin Simpson, Auburn
7. James Williams, Miami
8. Josh Proctor, Ohio State
9. Calen Bullock, USC
10. Beau Brade, Maryland

Kickers and Punters

1. Tory Taylor, Iowa (P)
2. Cam Little, Arkansas (K)
3. Joshua Karty, Stanford (K)
4. Austin McNamara, Texas Tech (P)
5. Will Reichard, Alabama (K)
6. Ryan Rehkow, BYU (P)
7. Harrison Mevis, Missouri (K)
8. Matthew Hayball, Vanderbilt (P)
9. Ryan Sanborn, Texas (P)
10. Spencer Shrader, Notre Dame (K)

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 3:47 PM, IKOTA said:

I would take him at 18 and not think twice (unless a top 10 pick drops out for whatever reason).
Solidify the line with a perennial pro bowler at C, move Karras to G where he’s played before and played well, let Cappa go unless he was dealing with an injury. This was a (uncharacteristically) bad year for Cappa so maybe it was injury related. No matter, fix the line. That would be my #1 priority on both sides of the ball. 

I believe Cappa played injured ..

He's solid imo.

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2024 at 1:47 PM, IKOTA said:

So we're going to move our best OL & cut our 2nd best OL in favor of starting a rookie center because he looked good in the Pac-12.

Maybe let's pump the brakes there?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

So we're going to move our best OL & cut our 2nd best OL in favor of starting a rookie center because he looked good in thei  Pac-12.

Maybe let's pump the brakes there?

He seems to have the talent to be a good one

That 31.5" length drops his stock to me

Burmt once on a highly regarded center with short arms ..

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

First of all, I have NO idea how good any of these guys are, and am basically getting my “info” from what you guys post.

In this draft, with Fashanu, Mims, Guyton, Powers-Johnson, and others still available at pick 18, it seems like trading down a few spots and picking up another draft pick (assuming we can find a trade partner) might be a wise move.  Is Fashanu expected to be that much better?  Just asking, as I really have no idea.  :shrug:  

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Feel like not trading Browning is them planning for Burrow to get hurt rather than planning to find an OL to protect him.  There's risk involved either way and to me they're choosing the wrong one.  "L" mindset.