^ Not sure why Latham keeps getting mocked to the Bengals. We already had an Alabama RT who underachieved.

... I'd rather roll the dice with Mims, or even take Paul early (which might mean we take Latham with my luck). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

^ Not sure why Latham keeps getting mocked to the Bengals. We already had an Alabama RT who underachieved.

... I'd rather roll the dice with Mims, or even take Paul early (which might mean we take Latham with my luck). 

I gotcha here but Latham is a lot bigger and stronger than jonah

• Like 1

No doubt Latham is big and strong. But is he another Bama lineman who is already maxed out? Is he quick enough to handle elite NFL rushers? 

My guess is the answers are yes and no. I don't want to make him the pick to find out I'm right when there are other options available. 

FWIW, most mocks I've seen have Latham coming off the board earlier. Good, it pushes another tackle down to us. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

"We already had an Alabama RT who underachieved."

You have to get past these types of statements, they have no meaning or value. It is like saying we should never draft ANY OL because they have rarely turned out. Every player has to be looked at in terms of thier own performance and how they project to the NFL in your own teams system, with no biases. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Every player has to be looked at in terms of thier own performance

I'm a believer that drafting is both players and "systems". There's a reason why so many good TEs or OGs come out of Iowa, or LBs out of Penn State, or WRs out of LSU etc. 

I think Alabama players should be looked at with more scrutiny, unless they are DBs, which was Saban's specialty. 

• Upvote 1

To add on to the relevance of the University, I think one of the reasons why Alabama players are "overdrafted" is because they are typically on stacked teams relative to others, so they look artificially better because of the players around them. 

That is a big difference from a star player at Toledo, who has to shine all on their own. 

I'm a big fan of SEC guys, the best conference obviously, but Alabama to me is the outlier in that group. 

• Upvote 1

Leaning towards

JC Lathem or Amarius Mims first rd upside value.

Sign  decent pass protector until rook is ready...

Protect the chosen one with any means,..

Nothing is more important than protecting JB to reach their goal 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Cricket said:

I would assume this would be after addressing DT aggressively in free agency…correct?

I didn't mock out free agency but this draft was assuming a typical minimalist approach from the Bengals. We lose Awuzie, Boyd, and Williams while cutting Mixon and re-signing Reader. We re-sign Irwin and the TEs and add a vet swing tackle like Becton, Fleming, or Fant.

Then I took DeJean to mix things up from usually taking a RT at 18. Bowers and Murphy were off the board but Johnny Newton and Brian Thomas were available then and also considered. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I took DeJean to mix things up from usually taking a RT 

... I think there's a very good chance DeJean will be the pick, especially if there is a run on the top tackles as I think there might be. 

Many fans will of course be upset and accuse the team of "not protecting Burrow", but really you have to draft for value more than position. DeJean's tape is outstanding and I think you could start him week 1 at FS, SS, or CB, and also PR (lots of flexibility). 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

More on Cooper ... I hate to be "that guy", but if DeJean had more melanin, he would likely be a top 7 pick ... (plus the Bengals like basketball players)

Pros: Ball hawk with great playmaking ability 

Athleticism off the charts (for a white guy)

Smart, instinctive player 

Multi sport athlete 

Cons: He’s white

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

Pros: Ball hawk with great playmaking ability 

Athleticism off the charts (for a white guy)

Smart, instinctive player 

Multi sport athlete 

Cons: He’s white

:24:

• Upvote 1

Just now, sparky151 said:

Eh, Tee requesting a trade means about as much as Jonah requesting one last year. If the Bengals get an offer they like, they'll move him, otherwise he's a Bengal for 2024.

Yeah I don't think he is going anywhere without at least a 1 or high 2, but either way...