Bengals avoid Myles Murphy in 2023 NFL re-draft

Chris Roling
Mon, Jan 29, 2024, 8:00 PM CST·1 min read

2a82f5dd3e82183ebd68a57c0697734c

The Cincinnati Bengals used a first-round pick on defensive end Myles Murphy last year, an attempt to boost the pass-rush right away and especially over the long-term.

So how does that decision hold up now? With it being the offseason for all but two teams, re-drafts have started to become a thing.

And in a 2023 re-draft from Bleacher Report’s David Kenyon, the Bengals go away from Murphy and instead draft offensive lineman Steve Avila:

Yet again, the Bengals dealt with a disappointing blocking unit. Cincinnati has devoted many resources to the O-line, but it is still trying to find a reliable group in front of Joe Burrow, who toiled through an injury-plagued year anyway. Steve Avila wouldn’t have completely solved the issues, but he quickly impressed as the Rams’ left guard.

That pick would have created serious competition for Cordell Volson at left guard, which in hindsight, probably would have been a good idea.

Still, Murphy was never projected as a guy who would command a ton of snaps as a rookie. He steadily improved, though, flashing some hints he’s got a chance to be a very good every-down player, potentially starting next season.

In the 2024 draft, though, it wouldn’t be a shock to see the team attack the offensive line as early as the first round.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bengals-avoid-myles-murphy-2023-020010663.html

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:
Chris Roling:

In the 2024 draft, though, it wouldn’t be a shock to see the team attack the offensive line as early as the first round.

The team’s recent history says otherwise.  They are more likely to address it in free-agency and throw a bandaid on it.  

OL in round-1 WOULD be a shock…but a shock that many (including Joe Burrow) would be thrilled to see.   

🦗

• Upvote 1

To be fair to Murphy, and I wanted to draft Michael Mayer, he did start coming on at the end of the year. If he can continue to add to his game, he might turn into a positive contributor and maybe a starter when Sam or Trey leave, soon enough.

• Upvote 1

You definitely saw flashes from Murphy, and some plays as the season progressed. The speed and explosiveness, and effort plays. I think he's going to be a good player.

Elite? Maybe not. But he's got the tools to be that. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Laporta and Dawand Jones go #15 and #18 in that redraft ... and the Bengals could have taken them both in Rd 1 and 3. 😬

The Jones pick still hurts. The whole "he's too fat" argument is silly, the guy showed he can play in college. He had the tape.

• Like 2

While hindsight sucks in regards to Jones - they just whiffed on a dude who doesn’t care about football in Carman. Don’t think that was a risk they were willing to take on day two.

He would have been the perfect prototype to have gotten behind La’el. Do think Battle is going to be a stud in their defense.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JC said:

While hindsight sucks in regards to Jones - they just whiffed on a dude who doesn’t care about football in Carman. Don’t think that was a risk they were willing to take on day two.

He would have been the perfect prototype to have gotten behind La’el. Do think Battle is going to be a stud in their defense.

You can't let past failures determine future choices. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Laporta and Dawand Jones go #15 and #18 in that redraft ... and the Bengals could have taken them both in Rd 1 and 3. 😬

I seem to recall I was bashed on here saying the Bengals should've drafted a TE.  Yea, we didn't need one. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The Jones pick still hurts. The whole "he's too fat" argument is silly, the guy showed he can play in college. He had the tape.

Then you have no problem with Sweat in rd2 of the draft if hes there?

I don't..

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

Then you have no problem with Sweat in rd2 of the draft if hes there?

I don't..

Nope no problem at all. He has the tape. I think he's going to be a good pick for whomever. Not concerned about the "weight" issue. He ain't Tyler Shelvin. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Nope no problem at all. He has the tape. I think he's going to be a good pick for whomever. Not concerned about the "weight" issue. He ain't Tyler Shelvin. 

Heard on radio that Reader may be asking 12-15 mil this year.

We NEED a player like Sweat..

5 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I'm leery about his injury age and asking price.

If they can draft Sweat Id pass on him 

That's a huge cap saving for other needs...

I'm of the belief we need a 3rd DT for a good rotation. Carter is not that guy imho, and we have been struggling to be consistent in generating a pass rush since Ogunjobi left. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Hard to believe a fifth round pick didn’t turn out to that guy, huh? 

5th round? Not sure who you are talking about. Shelvin was a 4th, Carter is a 3rd?

Reader? If so Im not sure exactly what it is you are saying?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm of the belief we need a 3rd DT for a good rotation. Carter is not that guy imho, and we have been struggling to be consistent in generating a pass rush since Ogunjobi left. 

You want a NT or 3 tech?

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Ridiculous article.

Good, Bad, Ugly or Meh Myles Murphy is our guy

and dumb ass speculation 20/20 hind sight is useless.

I'm still pissed that we took Jackson Carman over Creed Humphrey.

You will just have to get over it LOL. The draft, in hindsight is a muggs game. Every team has piles of 'coulda, woulda,shoulda'. You have to look at any team in terms of picks over a long period of tiem to see how well they draft, not at any individual pick. We have drafted well above average over say the last 5 years but not as well say the Ravens or Chiefs. 

Recent articles with Tobin and Potts talking about the team and draft2, they both spouted how important it was for the OL/DL to be strong - yet we ahve not always or often set premium picks to those positions. So maybe but specifically stating it this year it will be a focus in the draft? One can always hope. 2 OL and 2 DL in the first 4 rounds!!

• Upvote 1