Tee Higgins calls chance to reunite with Brian Callahan on Tennessee Titans 'ideal'

Nick Suss, The Oak Ridger
Fri, Feb 9, 2024, 2:25 PM CST·2 min read
c86ee50123721929df03fafa3488e71f

Tee Higgins, one of the best high school football players to come out of Tennessee in the last decade, isn't ruling out a return to his home state as a pro with the Tennessee Titans.

Higgins, the standout Cincinnati Bengals receiver, is a free agent this offseason after four years, 257 catches and 24 touchdowns with the Bengals. The Oak Ridge High School graduate and two-time Mr. Football winner will have the opportunity to re-sign with Cincinnati or be franchise tagged by the team that drafted him. But if Higgins does hit the open market, his home state connection and familiarity with Titans coach and former Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan make the Titans a natural fit.

"It would be good," Higgins said about joining up with the Titans speaking to The Sick Podcast on radio row at the Super Bowl on Thursday. "Going back home to family and then being able to play for a coach that I’ve already been under. It would be ideal."

Higgins only played in 12 games in 2023 but still amassed 656 yards and five touchdowns. He surpassed 1,000 yards in 2021 and 2022, helping lead the Bengals to division titles both years. He's also proven stellar in the playoffs through his career, including a 100-yard, two-touchdown performance in Super Bowl LVI.

Callahan is the only offensive coordinator Higgins has ever played for. The Titans hired Callahan in January after five years designing Cincinnati's offense, the last four of those spent with Higgins.

"(He has) a great offensive mind," Higgins told TennesseeTitans.com about Callahan. "I was able to pick his brain a little bit, and learn new things about the game that I didn't know. He's just a great offensive mind."

NFL teams are allowed to franchise tag players between Feb. 20 and March 5 this offseason. If Higgins and the Bengals do not agree to a contract extension before March 11 and Higgins is not franchise tagged in the aforementioned window, he will become a free agent.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tee-higgins-calls-chance-reunite-202558729.html

• Upvote 1

It is a 100% certainty that he is getting tagged, Tee and Callahan both know this as well. 

So, if the Titans want Tee, they are going to have to offer their first Rd pick #7 for him.

I don't think Mike Brown (who drives a hard bargain) would take anything less. As for me, I would take that deal and then draft RT Joe Alt with the pick. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

It is a 100% certainty that he is getting tagged, Tee and Callahan both know this as well. 

So, if the Titans want Tee, they are going to have to offer their first Rd pick #7 for him.

I don't think Mike Brown (who drives a hard bargain) would take anything less. As for me, I would take that deal and then draft RT Joe Alt with the pick. 

That would be ideal

Adding Alt can only help the run and pass game.

They could still grab another WR in the 3rd round.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, Tee is just being nice to the local media back home. Of course the Titans would pursue him if he weren't tagged but they aren't going to give up the 7th pick for him either after he is tagged. 

Maybe not..

How's the receiving unit in Tennessee?

0h.....yeah they might..😎

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

He was asked what would it be like...........wasn't very open ended. 

That’s about as open ended as it gets (assuming you were not ninja-ing the statement). 

And an article written by a lead writer for Nashville’s lead paper….isn’t going to be froth with leading questions for the prize recipient? 

Tee’s responses were indeed polite. A nice cup of tea for red meat. It’s the no-big-deal interview with the hopes of decent clicks from the Volunteer State. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

That’s about as open ended as it gets (assuming you were not ninja-ing the statement). 

And an article written by a lead writer for Nashville’s lead paper….isn’t going to be froth with leading questions for the prize recipient? 

Tee’s responses were indeed polite. A nice cup of tea for red meat. It’s the no-big-deal interview with the hopes of decent clicks from the Volunteer State. 

Everything would indicate that this deal  gets done.

Callahan would want him and Tees a Tennessee boy.

What's so crazy about their 1st for 

A true star WR1 ?

Do it ..

8 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Everything would indicate that this deal  gets done.

Callahan would want him and Tees a Tennessee boy.

What's so crazy about their 1st for 

A true star WR1 ?

Do it ..

This draft is top heavy with WRs who could give you Tee production on a rookie contract. Last year's draft had some good WRs, true, but they were more smallish slot guys. Higgins would have had more trade value in the 2023 draft than this one. Absolutely no way they get a top 10 draft pick this year in exchange for Higgins. Impossible dream.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

I saw it as being pretty direct and cornering him. "What do you think about my wife?"

I can't believe LeTigre said my wife was a beaut!

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I saw it as being pretty direct and cornering him. "What do you think about my wife?"

I can't believe LeTigre said my wife was a beaut!

Oh it was definitely a “gotcha”. What’s the guy going to say: 

“Play in Nashville…are you kidding me? With this bunch? Seriously? “

All these “hard hitting journalism” questions anymore, are just to spur speculation. 

“He didn’t deny it…and even if he didn’t admit it..just by the avoidance, one has to wonder”

Modern media is absolute shit

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2024 at 3:13 PM, dex said:

This draft is top heavy with WRs who could give you Tee production on a rookie contract. Last year's draft had some good WRs, true, but they were more smallish slot guys. Higgins would have had more trade value in the 2023 draft than this one. Absolutely no way they get a top 10 draft pick this year in exchange for Higgins. Impossible dream.

This X10000.

Tennessee has to ask themselves, how bad do they want Tee Higgins.

They are in a prime spot to move into the top 3-5.

Depending on how things fall, Marvin Harrison Jr. or another stud WR might be there for them.

• Upvote 1

Calahan earning his HC gig here so he will likley follow what he learned here. No need to make a splash trade at all, just pick up good players and strat re-tooling. 

I have zero doubt we tag Higgins and it will probably piss him off but who cares. Use him for another year and perhaps we get a SB win. Jones in KC - he will go for top doallar now, he has won 3 titles so this will be his big money contract. I dont see KC paying him what a lower tier team can.

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2024 at 2:13 PM, dex said:

This draft is top heavy with WRs who could give you Tee production on a rookie contract.

This draft is top heavy with WR's that could do absolutely nothing in the NFL on a rookie contract.

I get your point about this year's rookie pool vs last's but Higgins has actually gone out there and done it consistently.  He's going to get paid accordingly but you're right, these teams drafting in the the top 10 would rather save money & roll the dice. That's part of why they're holding those picks.

• Upvote 2

Did I miss a change with Franchise Tag? Used to be it was an automatic 1st and 3rd round pick, correct?

Personally I think tag and trade is the best option, but I don't think anyone is going to give up that much for Tee.

7 hours ago, Cat said:

Did I miss a change with Franchise Tag? Used to be it was an automatic 1st and 3rd round pick, correct?

Personally I think tag and trade is the best option, but I don't think anyone is going to give up that much for Tee.

It's 2 first round picks if a team signs someone else's franchise tagged player and the other team doesn't match the contract. There was speculation last year that some team would come up with a contract structure that the Ravens couldn't match so they could sign Lamar. But teams don't want to risk giving up 2 first round picks so the last time it happened was for DE Sean Gilbert, Darrelle Revis's uncle. That was a long time ago.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Calahan earning his HC gig here so he will likley follow what he learned here. No need to make a splash trade at all, just pick up good players and strat re-tooling. 

I have zero doubt we tag Higgins and it will probably piss him off but who cares. Use him for another year and perhaps we get a SB win. Jones in KC - he will go for top doallar now, he has won 3 titles so this will be his big money contract. I dont see KC paying him what a lower tier team can.

We won't pursue Jones..

HIs demands will out price all but a

couple teams ..

Isn't he 30 yrs old?

hard pass 

• Upvote 1