23 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Good points .

Katy knows this and has been addressing it with Brown and Ford to a degree.

The starting Oline is promising and set.

Draft as they want but this is Now.

Why is the OL set? Neither Volson nor Cappa are untouchable and the new RT is on a 1 year deal.  There's no reason at all they shouldn't be drafting OL early and often, and no reason why those guys couldn't earn a starting position right away.

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Why is the OL set? Neither Volson nor Cappa are untouchable and the new RT is on a 1 year deal.  There's no reason at all they shouldn't be drafting OL early and often, and no reason why those guys couldn't earn a starting position right away.

Hopefully about a rook being  right away.

Lathem or Fuaga yes

Mims is raw but he's got the package to be a good one later in the season or next year and pending how Brown works out.

• Upvote 1

Just now, claptonrocks said:

Hopefully about a rook being  right away.

Lathem or Fuaga yes

Mims is raw but he's got the package to be a good one later in the season or next year and pending how Brown works out.

More about creating competition rather than having 5 hopeful starters on the roster and calling it a day.

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Any offensive lineman chosen in the 4th round or later is nothing more than a project.  Few become starters.  And offensive linemen who are FAs are usually old, not good or have baggage.  Most teams will do almost anything to keep a good offensive lineman. 

Not defending Pollack, just saying this team has been woefully negligent in making lineman a priority in the draft recently.  It may be the after effect of having drafted Ogbuehi, Billy Price and Jake Fisher high in the draft.  

This team has always seems to feel that for LT and RT you need a high pick but the IOL can be 'picked up anywhere', not true of course, but they have never valued the IOL so they rarely drfated for value at these spots. Given we have zero depth of any value and the starting 5 are either older or young and quaestionable, I want to see 2 picks in the top 4 plus another later dedicated to the spot. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This team has always seems to feel that for LT and RT you need a high pick but the IOL can be 'picked up anywhere', not true of course, but they have never valued the IOL so they rarely drfated for value at these spots. Given we have zero depth of any value and the starting 5 are either older or young and quaestionable, I want to see 2 picks in the top 4 plus another later dedicated to the spot. 

What would you like think if they drafted JPJ or Sweat at 18??

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

What would you like think if they drafted JPJ or Sweat at 18??

I will think that I will come to this forum and see several posts saying “they reached”.  🦗

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cricket said:

I will think that I will come to this forum and see several posts saying “they reached”.  🦗

Don’t worry, it isn’t going to happen. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Just for Sweat. JPJ would be a good get at 18. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'd be ok with JPJ at 18. He could probably beat out Volson for the LG spot this year, then replace Karras next season.

Bengals have a history of taking centers in the first round. Bob Johnson, Blair Bush, and Dave Rimington come to mind. 

None of them really lived up to their draft slot but they were solid pivotmen.

• Upvote 1

Just going back to 2000, you have the following 1st round OL picks:

2018 21 Billy Price C Ohio State
2012 27 Kevin Zeitler G Wisconsin
2002 10 Levi Jones T Arizona
2009 6 Andre Smith T Alabama
2015 21 Cedric Ogbuehi T Texas A&M
2019 11 Jonah Williams T Alabama

So, two interior guys compared to 4 tackles.  The 2nd round is 1 Guard vs. 3 Tackles:

2003 33 Eric Steinbach G Iowa
2006 55 Andrew Whitworth T LSU                            
2015 53
  Jake Fisher
T Oregon
2021 46 Jackson Carman
T
Clemson

What they do draft a lot of high is defensive backs.  Tons of them in the 1st 2 rounds.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Good thing he's going to the modern NFL where holding isn't really a concern most of the time.

I thought that only worked if your jersey was black and gold?

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Did a brief watch of Latham and it seems like he holds a ton

Latham is a beast, but to me he's an all pro guard, not an OT. He's very "thick" and wide, but as not as nimble for the edge. You want "ballet" on the perimeter and "sumo" on the inside.

I'm fine with taking him at 18 if he's going to RG or LG. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Latham is a beast, but to me he's an all pro guard, not an OT. He's very "thick" and wide, but as not as nimble for the edge. You want "ballet" on the perimeter and "sumo" on the inside.

I'm fine with taking him at 18 if he's going to RG or LG. 

He's probably as "nimble" as Zeus or 

Mountain Brown.

Fuaga seems to fit that spot better but he also  with Lathem will be OTs imo.

5 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

He's probably as "nimble" as Zeus or 

Mountain Brown.

Fuaga seems to fit that spot better but he also  with Lathem will be OTs imo.

I wonder if they gamble that a deep tackle class means a guy is available in round 2 and they tackle DT in round 1. 

16 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I wonder if they gamble that a deep tackle class means a guy is available in round 2 and they tackle DT in round 1. 

How deep is a deep class?

I have 6 possible values at OT.

The rest ..meh

22 minutes ago, BBR said:

Just curious.... How many DT do you have before you hit "meh"?

Murphy and Newton .

Fiske is up on the boards but that 31.O" length worries me.

Sweat ..

(4)....

I see where your coming from.

Less deep than OTs..

Murphy and Newton are 3Ts and we have a pair of them already. There aren't any NTs worthy of day 1 selection. Sweat is probably the only one for day 2, unless you want Jenkins at NT at 300 lbs. There are several who will go on day 3. 

• Upvote 1