2 minutes ago, JC said:

Sure. But until they run the ball down the field better than they can throw the ball in chunks to Ja’Marr and Tee, they are going to see all kinds of T2 variations. It’s not going to happen overnight and signing a tight end like G shows they still do not care about getting bigger guys on the field to block. And really until they can get some athletic lineman to run outside zone, they’re going to be running into the teeth of the biggest guys on the field. You want to have the ability to run away from those guys and at light edges, corners, and safeties.

If they draft Bowers or Sinnot, it would signal a shift in philosophy. I think they’re content to run 11 and nickel and dime teams down the field and throw the ball to their new big slot receiver.

And it's all patchwork and smoke and mirrors until they figure out the Oline. MAYBE they might get a RT that can be like Willie Anderson was in the running game, that changes the conversation. Until then or until they get some guards that can pull like Stienbach did, it's going to continue to be smoke and mirrors. Having Joe work on getting under center.....which they were doing before he got hurt last year.... would do wonders for not just the running game, but for protecting Joe. We don't have to make it the primary offense but we do need to do it alot more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, texbengal said:

i was torn on Mixon… had a great career, did a lot of good things and was a core of what they’ve built. I would have been fine had he stayed, but I did see a dip in his performance last year, at least as far as making guys miss and getting more yards that were there to be had (for a more elusive back). Like Moss… no, he’s not gonna win a ton of foot races but he’s a more decisive and sudden runner than Joe is now. He’s younger and has less tread on the tires, and is better in pass pro. He’s a pretty good receiver… maybe not as good as Joe, but I personally think overall, Moss is an upgrade. When Taylor was out last year, he showed he could carry the load as a feature back if/when called upon, and he had a very productive season. The fact that he wouldn’t start with Johnathan Taylor on the roster, who IMO is a top 5 back in the league, doesn’t mean the guy can’t play. 

re Gesicki, I think that’s a helluva get. He’s a much better pass receiver than anyone they’ve had a TE in a long time. He’ll make acrobatic catches, make contested catches, and can play in the slot or split wide… just a mismatch in the passing game that they haven’t had. I discount what he did in NE… Mac Jones was flat-out bad and their offense was a train wreck. That said, he can’t block for isht. But neither could Tanner Hudson, and this guy is significantly better. Burrow is gonna love using him and it opens up the offense considerably, IMO. He’ll be big on 3rd down. 

And a few years ago, I’d agree that Sample is a bust. But he isn’t now… had a very solid year last year, and showed a little something as a receiver and moving him around as a blocker, even in the backfield showed his versatility. 

I c’è rtainly can’t disagree that they haven’t upgraded the trenches which are the most glaring needs, but at DT guys like Reader, Rankins and Tart (among others) are out there… and while the OL class was/is pretty crappy, there are still a few guys out there and the draft is very strong there, especially at T. I wouldn’t even discount Jonah at this stage. 

So far, I’ve liked the moves they’ve made and I suspect that there are a few more coming in the trenches. So I’d give them a high B/low A for what they’ve done to address specific spots, but they have to address the OL and DL… they know that, and I believe that’s coming.

Good post! Agree with much if not all of it. 

Ideally DJ can be ready to play at a high level but I’m not optimistic. I think Armstead makes sense but need a stud at DT badly. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Griever said:

Yeah, they are not going to pay Scott that money to just do on special teams what Tycen Anderson can already do. Can't keep both safeties at the expense of another CB. Simmons seemed heartbroken when Anderson went down with the ACL. He had become a top core STs player. Safe to say that Nick Scott was big miss for Anarumo, who handpicked him last March.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dex said:

Yeah, they are not going to pay Scott that money to just do on special teams what Tycen Anderson can already do. Can't keep both safeties at the expense of another CB. Simmons seemed heartbroken when Anderson went down with the ACL. He had become a top core STs player. Safe to say that Nick Scott was big miss for Anarumo, who handpicked him last March.

Could bring back Bell with that cash. 

4 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Could bring back Bell with that cash. 

Bell and Stone as your starting safeties? I wouldn’t be too upset at that ultimately but you have to consider Battles maturation in this. He’s very promising and played better and better as the season went on and he gained experience. What would Bell’s return do to Battles emergence? 

I think/hope they roll with Stone and Battle as the starters. I’d be petty with Vonn Bell and say F you. Didn’t want to be here last year when we offered something very similar to Carolina, and now you want to come back?  No thanks. Run along (kinda slowly at that) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

Bell and Stone as your starting safeties? I wouldn’t be too upset at that ultimately but you have to consider Battles maturation in this. He’s very promising and played better and better as the season went on and he gained experience. What would Bell’s return do to Battles emergence? 

I think/hope they roll with Stone and Battle as the starters. I’d be petty with Vonn Bell and say F you. Didn’t want to be here last year when we offered something very similar to Carolina, and now you want to come back?  No thanks. Run along (kinda slowly at that) 

I assume in that case Bell is the backup. 

19 minutes ago, dex said:

Taylor RApp was the other name and he just signed an extension with the Bills. Would have been the better get. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JC said:

Bengals are taking on $2m in dead cap to not have Joe Mixon play for them all while trading him to a team that should be in the playoffs. I think that should tell you to know.

They didn’t need the additional cap either.

Yep..

They were Done with him.

Not hard to see that.

Good luck Joe and welcome aboard Zach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IKOTA said:

😂 This man wasted all that time typing up this nonsense.  

Exactly

I’m a believer JC! Enjoy your posts. Someone with actual football knowledge is refreshing. 

and you wasted time reading it...so what's your point? You didn't actually refute anything I posted you just made bitchy remark, sounds about right for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IKOTA said:

Battle and Stone should start

Hill backup to them plus snaps at slot.

Keeps all fresh .

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Battle and Stone should start

Hill backup to them plus snaps at slot.

Keeps all fresh .

There was an article that mentioned that Hill might switch positions, I think he would be a better cover corner than safety, with the loss of Chido he could be an outside corner or even play in the slot after Hilton's contract is up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Remember the Bengals play lots of dime defense with 6 DBs on the field. 

So really they need 4 CB and 2 S of starter quality, or 3 / 3. 

I'm sure Lou "the Alchemist" Anarumo will make something happen with Hill's skill set. I just hope he gets to settle in on position and master it for his long term development, moving around and playing different positions sounds cool but it doesn't help you specialize on one role. Dime or Nickel corner/safety.... whatever..he just needs to be on the field. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I'm sure Lou "the Alchemist" Anarumo will make something happen with Hill's skill set. I just hope he gets to settle in on position and master it for his long term development, moving around and playing different positions sounds cool but it doesn't help you specialize on one role. Dime or Nickel corner/safety.... whatever..he just needs to be on the field. 

Reminds me of when Fisher went from guard to tackle to H-back to TE or whatever.  He might not have been good to begin with but he never had a chance.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Reminds me of when Fisher went from guard to tackle to H-back to TE or whatever.  He might not have been good to begin with but he never had a chance.

"He might not have been good."

Correct ..

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Dax is cooked. He’s nothing more than Tre Flowers at this point and they got reluctant to play Tre because it showed their hand. 

• Upvote 1