1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Bell signing sounds like a year. I'm ok with that I like having vets starting but you have got to let your young guys be backups getting a lot of snaps so they are ready when the vet leaves

I think this was likely the plan last offseason when the Bengals/Anarumo came out and admitted they had expected Bell was coming back.  I'd suspect it's possible they told Bell this and he scoffed/walked... or of course it could have been money, I never heard either way.  Regardless, I'm sure this was the idea last year with a certainty they'd take a strong safety in the draft.  Now they can let Bell teach them what that's all about.

FWIW I won't be surprised if Lou switches Dax back to outside CB, but if they take a first rounder he might even switch to being the designated heir apparent to Hilton... ?

I'm just gratified that what I brought up during the season as our key "loss" on D  (secondary communication went to shit/no QB in the back) has been confirmed not just by talking heads but again, Lou himself in his combine interviews.  It seemed pretty obvious to me.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I think this was likely the plan last offseason when the Bengals/Anarumo came out and admitted they had expected Bell was coming back.  I'd suspect it's possible they told Bell this and he scoffed/walked... or of course it could have been money, I never heard either way.  Regardless, I'm sure this was the idea last year with a certainty they'd take a strong safety in the draft.  Now they can let Bell teach them what that's all about.

FWIW I won't be surprised if Lou switches Dax back to outside CB, but if they take a first rounder he might even switch to being the designated heir apparent to Hilton... ?

I'm just gratified that what I brought up during the season as our key "loss" on D  (secondary communication went to shit/no QB in the back) has been confirmed not just by talking heads but again, Lou himself in his combine interviews.  It seemed pretty obvious to me.

I'm hoping it fixes the communication issues too, but I'm a bit concerned it stunts the growth of Jordan Battle who I really like but wonder if he stays the starter now.

Yeah Dax as the eventual Mike Hilton replacement makes sense, he seemed lost at safety. I hope the coaches come to realize we cant just fit a guy somewhere because he's athletic. We've tried that with two guys putting them into new positions they haven't played in Zach Carter and Dax Hill, Cater so far is a bust, and Hill is a question mark.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

^ That's a Duke Tobin masterclass

We get the pick and player, while you pay his salary. 🎩

Lol...as if they planned it that way...c'mon BJ...seriously...they let Bell leave and got lucky Carolina is the worst run org in pro sports and Bell was cut. I would say this is a lucky coincidence moreso than a masterclass..

• Upvote 3

We should have thrown an extra mil at Eluemunor and we'd be set ahead of the draft. 

I don't think we're playing the comp pick game this year but we'd get some good picks if more of our guys sign elsewhere. Jonah and Chido got 4th and 5th round value deals. Reader will be paid and maybe Boyd too. Problem is we're signing more outside qualifying free agents (Bell excluded) than we're losing so we won't benefit. 

In: Rankins, Stone, Gesicki, Moss, RT?

Out: Williams, Awuzie, Reader?, Boyd? 

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

We should have thrown an extra mil at Eluemunor

He has Tee's agent. Who is bitter with the Bengals. 

We should just automatically boycott any Mulugheta players in the future. Too much hassle. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The problem with Mulugheta is he gets top dollar for his clients. That's not attractive to employers and is very attractive to employees. 

When his client is signing cheap, we shouldn't miss out just because you don't want to have a beer with his agent. Pay the man if he helps your team and is reasonably priced.

Spite isn't a great business practice. 

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I figured that would be the backup plan to potentially losing Reader

Same. We are never going to replace Reader but a rotation with BJ Hill, Tart, and maybe a promising draft pick...perhaps we can lessen the impact if we do lose him.

22 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The problem with Mulugheta is he gets top dollar for his clients.

The problem is he likes big headlines built on the façade of fake back-loaded money, that center himself as being this "amazing" agent. For him, it's not about whether they play out their contracts, but whether he can cite a big number on signing day for his PR. 

The Bengals don't do business that way. They like real contracts. Which is why they are not compatible together and clash. 

Plus his tactic is basically ... If the guy is worth 10, walk into the owners office and say you want 20 and then shout "la la la la la" until the team gives in from fan annoyance at what is taking so long. He's very patient gambling with other guys futures as he's already rich. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We'll probably re-sign Tupou. He won't be expensive to us or anyone else. 

Agree....I also wouldn't be surprised if Bell beats him out in camp. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/travis-bell/32004245-4c62-2703-2af3-e6ea1b52f8c8

We scooped up him and Harper late...A strategy I love but they don't typically do not to give guys a chance. 

So its probably Tart and Becton with money left over for a veteran CB maybe Fuller maybe Xavier Howard who our corners coached just coached. 

Then we start gobbling up the dudes we wanted and didn't re-sign from our team Hudson-Wilcox-Bailey-Scharping-Bachie. 

The one spot I hope they sign someone but likely won't, Slot WR. It's loaded. Go get a guy like Jamal Agnew who could be in a nice rotation at slot with Jones and Gesicki. Agnew is aged but played corner up until 4 years ago.