32 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

... Like 90 % of it. The Bengals are throwing in the 1 mill vet minimum. 🤓

So let me get this straight...

Carolina gave us Vonn Bell and a 6th round draft choice and they are paying his salary to play for us.

And they just signed Nik Scott,

Are they playing for the first pick in the 2025 draft already?

Never too early to tank?

Some dumb sumbitches down there, boy howdy.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ Getting Trent Brown for a cap hit of 4.4 million should be studied by other GMs in future textbooks. 🏆

Duke is cooking with jet fuel 🔥

He's managed one full season in the past 5 years. Based on his average availability it works out to about half a mil per start.

Until I know who will be playing RT the 2nd half of the season I'm gonna have to pump the brakes on all that backslapping just a bit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

He's managed one full season in the past 5 years. Based on his average availability it works out to about half a mil per start.

Until I know who will be playing RT the 2nd half of the season I'm gonna have to pump the brakes on all that backslapping just a bit.

Unfortunately, there is truth to your opinion.  People marvel at his size but that catches up with you like it seems to already have with him. 

Whit played at 6-7 325 most of his career.  He had exceptionally quick feet for a tackle. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Unfortunately, there is truth to your opinion.  People marvel at his size but that catches up with you like it seems to already have with him. 

Whit played at 6-7 325 most of his career.  He had exceptionally quick feet for a tackle. 

And iirc you could count his missed starts on your fingers

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

They front loaded it. That's 5/9ths of it and it's for 3 years. I don't mind it but a lot of twitter peeps thought it was dumb

Kinda crazy Gesicki and Sample's 3 career TD's will be earning the same salary this year.

Still say there's no chance they would've offered him that extension if he was a UFA instead of a 2nd round pick.  Sunk cost all the way.

Yeah, the Sample contract doesn't make any sense. He's been a free agent the last couple of years and had no outside interest. So he re-signed with the Bengals for vet min. What did he do last year that made him so valuable? He's a good blocker and his hands are ok, but he isn't a route runner or much of a receiving threat. You can get that on day 3 of the draft from a rookie. If some other team was offering him that, Bengals should have let them sign him and take the comp pick.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, the Sample contract doesn't make any sense. He's been a free agent the last couple of years and had no outside interest. So he re-signed with the Bengals for vet min. What did he do last year that made him so valuable? He's a good blocker and his hands are ok, but he isn't a route runner or much of a receiving threat. You can get that on day 3 of the draft from a rookie. If some other team was offering him that, Bengals should have let them sign him and take the comp pick.

Versatility. Played FB at times. He is a huge cog in making the offense go. If you look at blocking TE's like Josh Oliver etc. I think he probably had a market and wanted to stay here. That deal is really just 3M per year not to have to replace our Blockig Te, That's not bad at all. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Versatility. Played FB at times. He is a huge cog in making the offense go. If you look at blocking TE's like Josh Oliver etc. I think he probably had a market and wanted to stay here. That deal is really just 3M per year not to have to replace our Blockig Te, That's not bad at all. 

What versatility? He blocks OK, certainly not dominant but serviceable. That's about it.  Every year they bring in some FA TE to actually go do TE stuff. 

He's a 2nd round bust they refuse to give up on. Even with Irv Smith giving us absolutely nothing last year Sample was on the field for a little less than half the time (not sure if ST snaps count & are inflating that number).

Just seems like another example of a marginal player that the team is unwilling to move on from because of the initial investment.

3 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

That doesn't make much sense. We're paying Sample more than Trent Brown, whom I'd assume you will concede is a better blocker?

We could get a rookie for a quarter of Sample's average pay. This seems like Bobby Hart all over again. Bengals decide they must have some below average player and are willing to pay him whatever it takes to get to yes. As opposed to getting a better player who coincidentally is also cheaper. 

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

What versatility? He blocks OK, certainly not dominant but serviceable. That's about it.  Every year they bring in some FA TE to actually go do TE stuff. 

He's a 2nd round bust they refuse to give up on. Even with Irv Smith giving us absolutely nothing last year Sample was on the field for a little less than half the time (not sure if ST snaps count & are inflating that number).

Just seems like another example of a marginal player that the team is unwilling to move on from because of the initial investment.

He literally was playing blocking RB in passing situations last year. 

These are essentially 2 different positions. Blocking TE vs Pass catching TE. He doesn't play the same position as Irv Smith. It would be like saying why didn't Mike Hilton fill in for Chido as an outside corner.

On a team trying to protect your starting QB a blocking TE matters. He had the 5th most pass blocking snaps of any TE in the league last year.

He doesn't make the impact a 2nd rounder should but he is a huge part of the offense and making it go. 

They don't want to move on because blocking TE is important. Why make a hole to just have to fill it. 

ALSO with the new kickoffs he's going to be even more important. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That doesn't make much sense. We're paying Sample more than Trent Brown, whom I'd assume you will concede is a better blocker?

We could get a rookie for a quarter of Sample's average pay. This seems like Bobby Hart all over again. Bengals decide they must have some below average player and are willing to pay him whatever it takes to get to yes. As opposed to getting a better player who coincidentally is also cheaper. 

Sample's contract was front loaded. He makes 4.9 million this year and then. 4.1 million for the next 2 years. His AAV is 3M per. So he's not on average making more than Trent Brown. 3M per is not an outlandish contract for what is essentially your 12th starter on offense. 

Sample is great at his role. A rookie would have been a crapshoot. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Justin Smith was a far more productive DE than Sample is a TE.  They do have one thing in common though: career longest reception (INT return).*

Sample is actually 23 yards vs Smith's 21 but... :lol:

Remind me why he had to play the role of blocking RB again?  I'll give you a hint:  :):1441::)

Not sure how he was the "12 starter" playing <50% of the offensive snaps but sure, OK.  I mean, they'd have to spend at least a 5th round pick to replace that kind of production at a fraction of the price. 

Hey who knows, maybe his 6th NFL season will be his breakout year.